What should I do?

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam2You brothers, sisters..

I was talking to a friend about my mum and dad feeding my haram chicken (chicken not sacrificed in the name of Allah) and she came out with a question which was truly a good one, but makes me hesitate.

"You would sacrifice your life or family for Allah won't you? Then run away".

Ofcourse I would. But I don't want to run away!

Please someone tell me I'm okay with not running away. I love my family so much, though I love Allah more! But I can't run away I mean if they were going to kill me for being a Muslim I would run away, but for haram chicken this doesn't make sense to me. Please someone assure me about this concern.

Thank you all.

:wasalam:

a_stranger

:salam2:dear sister

If you run away and hurt your parents then you are doing something like shirk

"Shall I not inform you of the greatest sins (akbar al-kaba'ir): Associating partners with Allah (shirk), disobedience to parents, bearing false witness and speaking falsehood" (Sahih al-Bukhari).

Islam teaches us to be wise and not to make a great sin to avoid a minor one. Try another solution dear sister.

Domini9790

If you fast during Ramadan, Allah will forgive you. He is understanding and merciful and will know why you are eating the Haram chicken. It's not like your going to eat it your whole life, just for a while. Even though you feel bad for doing it, know that Allah will know why you are eating it and know that you cannot help what your parents think or do. He will forgive

JenGiove

:salam2:

Little Sister Salam...Ease your heart and be still. You are still under the rule of your parents and as such, you must always speak kindly with them and obey them and not even say "uff" to them.

"And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour. And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: "My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small."
[17:23-24]

....Allah can not fault you for obeying your parents.

If you have tried to explain to them how important it is to your spiritual heart that all the food you take into your body is only killed with 1) gentleness and mercy and 2) with prayers and udderences of Allah and they STILL refuse to adapt themselves to your needs, then politely eat what little you can. Choose more fruits and vegetables <which are better for you anyways but you still need meat proteins...which are different from Soy proteins> and afterwards, include in your prayers dua's for them for forgiveness from Allah for their ignorance. Do not be so fearful of Allah that you do not trust that he will see the love in your heart for him AND your parents.

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam2You all!

Thank you everyone!
You've all really stepped by my side as usual, JazakAllah khair everyone, may Allah grant you all Paradise. I will most definitely not run away! I guess it is for a little while, Allah is all-merciful, and I have control from my parents, but I still feel guilt when I eat such things..
I'll be trying to eat more veg and leave the chicken on a side, but they question me at the end so I'll try to eat slow so that they leave the table and I can throw the chicken away!

Is throwing chicken away bad though?!

Ws

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

If your parents are not able to afford to buy zenab chicken so be it. Chicken is not meat.
It is almost a sin not to eat what is provided.
Islam is the correct way. Do not make it difficult.

There is so much hunger in this world think of the blessing you are receiving.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Salams Sister you could turn vegetarion while under your parents control, just a suggestion,......................we do not have to obey our parents in some thing Haram,try and avoid upsetting them if possible but be strong and Allah ta'laa will help you.
W/salams

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Running away is a bad idea so do not think about it.

You act smartly here now try to show them you have become health conscious and observing a strict veg diet and staying healthy is your concern now.

Put some health charts in your room over your fridge and whenever you eat something infront of them read the labels and eat so that they think you really have changed.

JenGiove

Assalamu'alaykum,

Please elaborate.

Sister, I think she is saying that at least its not RED meat, which is usually more expensive.

Sister Salam,

Thank your parents for thinking about your health by trying to provide you with the best food and that you appreciate that very much. Since you have not mentioned pork, I'm assuming that they have at least not tried to puch pork on to your plate. Thank them for that and thank Creator for that blessing and easing of your path. Thank then for being tolerant of your choice to become a Muslim

Sister, you have many blessings that other's do not. While I am in no way trying to say that what you are going through is not difficult, thankfully, Creator has made your problems easier than it could be.

Yes, the chicken is haram because it was not slaughtered with prayers. Say the prayers for the chicken yourself <this is NOT fatwah and I have no idea if this is even counts> and then eat with apprieciation in your heart for the thoughtfulness of your mother and father.

Remember, the Angel on your right shoulder is quick to write down your good deeds and the Angel on your left is slow to write down your bad ones. You have no real choice in this matter so at least eat with Allah's loving gift to you in the front of your mind.

JenGiove

Put some health charts in your room over your fridge and whenever you eat something infront of them read the labels and eat so that they think you really have changed.

EXCELLENT IDEA! Sister Salam....you might learn something as well....I know I was very surprised when I had to start reading labels when I was pregnant.

fatima1994

ƒ3!RY $p!r!T
Umm sis idk what to say lol but bro's and sis @ above gave some pretty good advise :D
May Allah(swt) ease ur difficulties. ameen. :tti_sister:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum,

though I dont have any idea to give you...I just wanted to say::

I ask Allaah to make everything easy for you and to bless you with His mercy and kindness. ameen

I leave you under His protection =)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The laws for meat are stricter. Chicken is not meat.

I have great difficulty with suggestions to change the parents. These are minors. Do you not see how hard it is for parents to put food on the table. You go work and figure it out. In my book that is a major stressor.

I can not believe we have children who are preoccupied with food. For heaven sakes if you are that noble eat beans and rice!

We are walking on dangerous grounds. This is not the intent of Islam. Allah subhana talla has told us Islam is easy.

Be humble and grateful.

JenGiove

Assalaam walaikum,

The laws for meat are stricter. Chicken is not meat.

I have great difficulty with suggestions to change the parents. These are minors. Do you not see how hard it is for parents to put food on the table. You go work and figure it out. In my book that is a major stressor.

I can not believe we have children who are preoccupied with food. For heaven sakes if you are that noble eat beans and rice!

We are walking on dangerous grounds. This is not the intent of Islam. Allah subhana talla has told us Islam is easy.

Be humble and grateful.

:salam2: Sister Aapa,

Kids focus on what is most prominent in their lives and right now, at 14, she's worried about zina <I hope used that right> and breaking Allah's laws. The biggest thing however is causing hurt feelings to parents. Heck, when I was her age, my biggest focus was not food but social acceptance...<I'll just leave it at that..lol> and also what clothes were in that year so that I didn't give the other kids another excuse to beat me up and laugh at me.

I"m sure you remember a time back in Rome when you were worried about something trivial...:lol: :lol: j/k

The best we can do is help he focus on the blessings she DOES have and how to best equalize the problem in her heart.

<3

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
as a veterinarian, i will confirm that chicken is a MEAT and as a muslim i must say it must be HALAL during slaughtering!!!!! wasalam

JenGiove

as a veterinarian, i will confirm that chicken is a MEAT and as a muslim i must say it must be HALAL during slaughtering!!!!! wasalam

:salam2: Ovomer,

We are not disputing wether it needs to be halal or not. The problem here is that a 14 year old Muslimah whose parents are NOT <if I'm correct> is being served non-halal chicken and how can she handle the situation with grace and dignity.

We are also not disputing the fact that its a meat or not.....it's not a RED meat...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

A Muslim does not have to be a vegatarian. Chicken has never been a meat nor will it be a meat. Unless the definition changed this minute.

At 14 children need to learn to please their parents; they have no clue of what parents go through.

As I tell mine...if it ain't good enough for you to eat what I am able to put on the table..there is the door and it is a one way exit. I do not have time; I am trying to survive.

In Rome we learn what you put your parents through comes back to haunt you in the form of your children..and they will humble you.

I do not like this thought pattern. It breeds a proudness that is not in the liking to Islam. We are never to encourage children to disrespect the parent. We do not know what circumstances the parents are enduring.

When you are no longer a minor and able to make changes do so.

Sis Jen... I did like Rome..more than Paris or London..but I love LA. I am finally a LA gal!!!! And we rock fashion and style!!!!