What to do??

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh dear TTI members,

I hope ya'll are in a good health/imaan....:) and that you're enjoying Ramadan thus far, :)

I dont exactly know where to put this thread or should I just say questions. So, I just posted it here :shymuslima1: I hope that it is not bad. Like always, I have a few questions.

Question #1: Well, school started for me, and I have been going there for a week now :eek: I know it's crazy! I wish they let us stay home till Ramadan ends....but oh well. Anyway, to finish my two year academic goal I have to take an exercise class. The easiest one I found was a "walking class" which I have to take for two days. My question concerns this: is it OK for a Muslim woman to wear pants in situations like this? keep in mind that the class has *few* men. I was thinking of wearing a long shirt over my pants? Can anybody tell me what the limit is? I dont wanna go agains Islam for a credit that is just going to benefit in THIS temporarily world. So if anybody can shed some light on this, it would be GREAT :D

Question # 2: I was at Taraweeh, and a confusion occured within the prayer. we were in Surah Al-Hajj and the Ayah where one has to make Sajood came.....the Imam forgot to make Sajood but we made sajood. The whole time I was in prayer all I was thinking about was how the heck did I pray a prayer without Ruku? and well, my naf whispers that my prayer may not be accepted? :( only Allaah knows the answer to that one .....but my main question is what is ONE supposed to do in a situation where the Immaan forgets to make sajood?

Question # 3: (I swear this is the last one :lol: )
If one is praying witr at home.....is it obligatory for him/her to make dua qunoot ( I think thats the name :confused:). I hope you understand my questions and that I dont overwhelm anybody :shymuslima1:
I ask Allaah to forgive our sins and accept our ibadah! ameen

JazakaAllaah khair !

Idris16

:wasalam:

About your 2nd question.. It's Sunnah so you do what the imam does. I actually thought about this question before since in my masjid the women have their own seperate room so they can't see the imam.. So if the imam will make sujud or go on with ruku' they won't know. I may not have understood your question really, Wallahu A3lam.

About your 3rd Q

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on reciting the du’aa’ of Qunoot in Witr during the nights of Ramadaan, and whether it is permissible to omit it.

He replied:

Qunoot is Sunnah in Witr and if a person omits it sometimes, there is nothing wrong with that.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/9061/witr qunoot

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Nice answers MashaAllah akhi idris. BarakAllahu feek.

Sister Amatullah, perhaps if you get your thread moved to the main subforum 'General discussions' you would get more responses regarding your first question.

I think your fellow sisters who have gone to college in the states would have faced similar situation with Kinesiology classes, InshaAllah they can advice you on that matter.

And just to reiterate, as akhi Idris rightly mentioned you are to follow the imam and if he skips the sajdah then you should do too. If he errs in any of the pillars of the salah, the brothers in the first row will correct him InshaAllah. So you need not worry.

And Allah knows best.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh dear TTI members,

Question #1: Well, school started for me, and I have been going there for a week now :eek: I know it's crazy! I wish they let us stay home till Ramadan ends....but oh well. Anyway, to finish my two year academic goal I have to take an exercise class. The easiest one I found was a "walking class" which I have to take for two days. My question concerns this: is it OK for a Muslim woman to wear pants in situations like this? keep in mind that the class has *few* men. I was thinking of wearing a long shirt over my pants? Can anybody tell me what the limit is? I dont wanna go agains Islam for a credit that is just going to benefit in THIS temporarily world. So if anybody can shed some light on this, it would be GREAT :D

Wa'alaykummusalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Sister, a while ago I did read a few fatwas regarding women wearing pants. Just to sum it up, if looking at our condition today where we need to move quickly, walk here and there, it is OK for us to wear pants so long that it is not fit, imitating like that of men. So I do not suggest to wear jeans but you may wear slack trousers. Here at my place, the akhawaat wear pants (of course loose pants) and also long shirt, down till the knee (more like a Punjabi blouse if I am not mistaken).

When talking about our clothes, we need to look back at the definition of A'urat for the woman (specifically talking about female now). So long that your clothes are loose, preferably dark in color and does not have the tendency to catch the attention of others (like striking color, glowing flowers on the blouse lol), inshaAllaah you have fulfill the command of Allaah for us to close ourselves appropriately.

If you want to be more firm on your decision, maybe you can try to look up for the related fatwa, inshaAllaah.

Just to add up to your 2nd question, making sujood tilaawah is sunnah. So if the imaam do not do it, it is preferably for you to follow the imaam. Just like for Fajr prayer, if the imaam forgets to recite dua'a qunoot, you should follow him and do not have to make sujood sahwi.

Regarding the 3rd question, usually during the last 10 days of Ramadhaan is the time where the imaam will recite dua'a qunoot in Solaat Sunaat Witr.

Allaah knows best in every matter. Allaahu A'laam.

Wassalam.

Idris16

I just read that in Surah Hajj there are two Verses of prostrations
and that all Muslim Scholars agreed to prostate when reciting 14-15
and only Imam Shâfi3i said to prostrate in verse 77 in Surah Hajj

I will insh'Allah look at it.

@Aisya

Actually sister, most of the time we recite dua qunoot when praying witr when in Tarâweeh.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

@Asiya

Actually sister, most of the time we recite dua qunoot when praying witr when in Tarâweeh.

:wasalam:

First of all, it's come to my attention that the sister's name is 'Aisya' or 'Aishah'. :)

Also, I think in malaysia they follow Imam Shafii's madhabs opinion on Qunoot in Fajr. Lets read what is written on IslamQA..

The basic principle concerning Qunoot in Fajr is the subject of some difference of scholarly opinion. Some of them, such as the Maalikis and Shaafa’is, think that it is prescribed, and some of them, such as the Hanafis and Hanbalis, do not think that this is the case.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (1/449): It is not Sunnah to say Qunoot in Fajr prayer or any other prayer, apart from Witr. This is the view of al-Thawri and Abu Haneefah, and it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas, Ibn ‘Umar, Ibn Mas’ood and Abu’l-Darda’.

Maalik, Ibn Abi Layla, al-Hasan ibn Saalih and al-Shaafa’i said that it is Sunnah to say Qunoot in Fajr at all times, because Anas said: The Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said Qunoot in Fajr until he departed this world. This was narrated by Imam Ahmad in al-Musnad. ‘Umar said Qunoot in Fajr in the presence of the Companions and others.

And we have what is narrated, that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said Qunoot for a month, praying against one of the tribes of the Arabs, then he stopped doing that. Narrated by Muslim. And Abu Hurayrah and Abu Mas’ood narrated something similar from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him). And it was narrated that Abu Maalik said: I said to my father: O my father, you prayed behind the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him), and behind Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan, and behind ‘Ali here in Kufah for about five years. Did they say Qunoot? He said: That is an innovation. Al-Tirmidhi said: this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth, and should be followed according to most of the scholars. Ibraaheem al-Nakha’i said: The first one who said Qunoot in Fajr prayer was ‘Ali, because he was a man at war who prayed against his enemies. Sa’eed narrated in his Sunan from Hushaym, from ‘Urwah al-Hamadhaani, that al-Shu’bi said: When ‘Ali said Qunoot in Fajr prayer, the people objected. ‘Ali said: We are only asking Allaah for support against our enemies. And it was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) did not say Qunoot in Fajr prayer except when he was praying for some people or praying against some people. Narrated by Sa’eed. The hadeeth of Anas may be understood as meaning that he stood for a long time, because that may be called Qunoot. And the Qunoot of ‘Umar may be understood as having happened at times of calamity, because most of the reports from him indicate that he did not say Qunoot, but a number of people narrated that from him, which indicates that his Qunoot was only in times of calamity. End quote.

See: al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 34/58

Although the more correct view is that there should be no Qunoot in Fajr except in times of calamity, there is nothing wrong with praying behind someone who says Qunoot in Fajr and saying Ameen to his du’aa’.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If the person praying behind an imam is following someone who says Qunoot in Fajr or Witr, he should say Qunoot with him, whether he says Qunoot before or after bowing, but if he does not usually say Qunoot he should not say Qunoot with him.

If the imam thinks that something is mustahabb and the people praying behind him do not think that it is mustahabb, and he refrains from it the sake of agreement and harmony, then he has done well. End quote. Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 22/268.

Link :- http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/112016

With regard to saying Du’aa’ al-Qunoot in Fajr prayer all the time, in all circumstances, there is no saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) singled out Fajr for Qunoot, or that he always recited it in Fajr prayer. Rather what is proven is that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said Du’aa’ al-Qunoot at times of calamity with words that were appropriate to the situation. He said Du’aa’ al-Qunoot in Fajr and in other prayers, praying against Ra’l, Dhakwaan and ‘Usayyah for killing the Qur’aan-readers whom the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had sent to them in order to teach them their religion. And it was proven that he prayed in Fajr prayer and other prayers for the weak and oppressed believers, that Allaah would save them from their enemies. But he did not do that all the time. The Rightly-Guided khaleefahs after him followed the same practice. It is better for the imam to limit Qunoot to times of calamity, following the example of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as it was proven that Abu Maalik al-Ash’ari said: “I said to my father, ‘O my father, you prayed behind the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and behind Abu Bakr, ‘Umar, ‘Uthmaan and ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with them). Did they used to say Du’aa’ al-Qunoot in Fajr?’ He said, ‘O my son, this is a newly-invented matter.’” (Narrated by the five, apart from Abu Dawood; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Irwa’, 435). The best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Link :- http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/20031

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
^^Actually I have just read the fatwa. Thank you for bringing it up.

And yes, here in Malaysia we follow the Shafi'ee madhaab. Regarding the differences in matters of fiqh which are mostly related to differences in madhaab, I still feel I need to look deeper into lots of matters in regards to whether all this while, what was claimed to be part of the madhaab is actually from the Sunnaah.

As for the Qunoot in Solaat Sunaat Witr, I understand that it should be done everytime. I guess its the norm here to recite it during the last 10 days. What about the Solaat Witr perform fi Masjid al-Haraam? Do they include qunoot in every of their Witr prayer?

Wassalam.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
^^Actually I have just read the fatwa. Thank you for bringing it up.

And yes, here in Malaysia we follow the Shafi'ee madhaab. Regarding the differences in matters of fiqh which are mostly related to differences in madhaab, I still feel I need to look deeper into lots of matters in regards to whether all this while, what was claimed to be part of the madhaab is actually from the Sunnaah.

MashaAllah sister. That is the right methodology that we all need to adopt. Following the Sunnah closely is what all the 4 major imams and all our pious scholars (May Allah have mercy on them) encouraged and based their opinion off to their best ability and knowledge. The 4 major imams have in different wordings explicitly mentioned (which is recorded in their works ofcourse) to follow the authentic narration if it were to be in conflict with their opinion(s).

As for the Qunoot in Solaat Sunaat Witr, I understand that it should be done everytime. I guess its the norm here to recite it during the last 10 days. What about the Solaat Witr perform fi Masjid al-Haraam? Do they include qunoot in every of their Witr prayer?

Wassalam.

As far as I know, the imams recite Qunoot every night of Ramadan in Masjid al Haraam in witr. The witr is prayed in congregation only during Ramadan.

You can check out the masjid ul Haram Taraweeh thread & listen to Qunoot in the last video segment for each night. Here it is :- http://turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71291

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

baraka'Allaahu feekum !

I just googled 'Fatwa on wearing pants for women' and subhana'Allaah that google search took me to this http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3325

Sister, a while ago I did read a few fatwas regarding women wearing pants. Just to sum it up, if looking at our condition today where we need to move quickly, walk here and there, it is OK for us to wear pants so long that it is not fit, imitating like that of men. So I do not suggest to wear jeans but you may wear slack trousers. Here at my place, the akhawaat wear pants (of course loose pants) and also long shirt, down till the knee (more like a Punjabi blouse if I am not mistaken).

When talking about our clothes, we need to look back at the definition of A'urat for the woman (specifically talking about female now). So long that your clothes are loose, preferably dark in color and does not have the tendency to catch the attention of others (like striking color, glowing flowers on the blouse lol), inshaAllaah you have fulfill the command of Allaah for us to close ourselves appropriately.

If you want to be more firm on your decision, maybe you can try to look up for the related fatwa, inshaAllaah.
:confused:

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Sister Amatullah,

I guess after your discovery it may seem that my statement actually contradict and made you to become confused, right?

Well, I once asked a knowledgeable person regarding the many fatwas/rulings that I've read but which may seem. . .hard to be accepted? (not because of not putting Islam as a priority but rather because of the explaination). I found out that there are times rulings may varies according to one's understanding and the wa'qii (the place). This has nothing to do with culture but more of understanding and the Ijtihaad one makes.

I guess I am making you more confused now. So inshaAllaah maybe you can ask your Sheikh about it?

I apologize for the above.

Wassalam.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

baraka'Allaahu feekum !

I just googled 'Fatwa on wearing pants for women' and subhana'Allaah that google search took me to this http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3325

:confused:

Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

May Allaah reward you for your zeal to learn about this deen.

I am aware that Shaykh Saleh al Munajjid brings fataawa of scholars that women wearing jeans etc (on their own or amongst women) is not permissible, and this is because it is imitating men. But there is something one should note, that the scholars who issued this fatwa are from Saudi Arabia, and the `Urf (custom) of the people there is that men wear jeans or trousers, and thus this fatwa applies there. If you ask local scholars from your area or who are aware of the `Urf in western countries, then they are likely not to issue the same fatwa as the saudi scholars (and may Allaah bless them all).

So one should note that, as Ibn Taymiyyah rahimahullaah said, that dress code is something that depends on the `Urf of people as long as it is within the limits of Shari`ah (i.e covering the `awrah etc). I am not by anyway saying that you should wear jeans or trousers to college, and I would really speak against it, since they really fail to cover the `awrah properly (even if they are loose, unless they are as baggy as a skirt or something), but what I am saying is that if a woman is wearing trousers/jeans amongst women or her mahaarim, then there is no problem with it, and this is what seems to be the more correct opinion. At the end of the day, every sister has the right to believe in that opinion which she believes to be correct (provided it is supported by evidences), and Allaah knows best.

With regards to following the Imaam, then it is NOT sunnah to follow the imaam, rather it is waajib to closely follow the imaam. So he should be followed no matter what he does, except if he skips/adds a "Pillar". And since Sajdah at Tilaawah is sunnah, it is thus obligatory upon the congregation to follow the imaam into rukoo` (if he goes into rukoo`)

With regards to reciting Qunoot, then it is sunnah to recite it sometimes and not to recite it sometimes as Ibn `Uthaymeen rahimahullaah mentioned. Reason being, in the hadeeth of Al-Hasan ibn `Ali who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught me some words to say in qunoot al-witr:

“Allaahumma ihdini feeman hadayta wa ‘aafini feeman ‘aafayta wa tawallani feeman tawallayta wa baarik li feema a’tayta, wa qini sharra ma qadayta , fa innaka taqdi wa la yuqda ‘alayk, wa innahu laa yadhillu man waalayta tabaarakta Rabbana wa ta’aalayta la manja minka illa ilayk"

the addition in the hadeeth "in Qunoot al Witr (فِي قُنُوتِ الْوِتْرِ) is shaadh (rare/odd), and the correct opinion is that it was `Umar radiAllaahu anhu who used to recite Qunoot all the time in Witr. And Allaah knows best

Was-salaamu `alaykkum

Abu Talib

Feeling low
As-Salamu 'Alaykum

Yes Qunoot in Witr prayer is not Obligatory. It can be done sometimes this is what Majority of Scholars say.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

With regards to following the Imaam, then it is NOT sunnah to follow the imaam, rather it is waajib to closely follow the imaam. So he should be followed no matter what he does, except if he skips/adds a "Pillar". And since Sajdah at Tilaawah is sunnah, it is thus obligatory upon the congregation to follow the imaam into rukoo` (if he goes into rukoo`)

Nice answer MashaAllah. JazakAllahu Khayran for sharing your knowledge.

Also, Brother Idris wrote that the act of sajdah tilawah is 'Sunnah'. He didn't mean that it it *sunnah* to follow the Imam. Anyhow,if anyone got confused by that bit than your post clarifies it Alhamdulillah.

Miss Aaliyah

Assalamo alaykom wa Rahmatollahi wa Barakatoh,

I would say you'd rather do what is for sure safe, than what you feel is unsure. Because there are two hadiths which makes me never wear pants, not even in my household, and only wear some sort of pants under the abaya when outdoors. Because women shouldn't wear pants because it is mens' clothing, just as men shouldn't wear women clothings such as blouses, skirts, abaya etc. Thoub is not like an abaya, and it has not to do with that you don't show the shape of the legs in the difference between thoub and abaya, but that one is for the women and one is for the men. Don't put yourself into the situation of wearing pants when you know it's wrong, wa Allaho 'alam.

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) said that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said,
“Allah curses a woman who wears a men’s clothing and a man who wears a woman’s dress.
(Abu Dawud)

The prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said,
“May Allah curse the effeminate man and the masculine woman.”
(Bukhari)

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Also, Brother Idris wrote that the act of sajdah tilawah is 'Sunnah'. He didn't mean that it it *sunnah* to follow the Imam. Anyhow,if anyone got confused by that bit than your post clarifies it Alhamdulillah.

Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaah...

Ow my bad, I just thought I'd clarify, ahem :cool:

Wassalaamu `alaykkum wa rahamtullaah