Why do we read Quran, even if we can't understand a Single Arabic word????

nabeelahmad18

..Muslim Be United..
Assalamu Alaykum,

Why do we read Quran, even if we can't understand a Single Arabic word????
This is a beautiful story.

An old man lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern Kentucky with his young grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his Qur'an. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, 'Grandpa! I try to read the Qur'an just like you but I don't understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the Qur'an do?'

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied, 'Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water.'

The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, 'you'll have to move a little faster next time,' and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead. The old man said, 'I don't want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard enough,' and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.
At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, 'See Grandpa, it's useless!'

'So you think it is useless?' The old man said, 'Look at the basket.'

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

'Son, that's what happens when you read the Qur'an.You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out. That is the work of Allah in our lives.
:wasalam:

tabuzbr

It is a beautiful story I totally agree but dear brothers and sisters if you can try and understand the holy quran read it with translation at least once in your life,I think it would be the best thing u ever did for yourself ,I pray Allah the almighty guides us all amen

Killi_Feyzo

thanks for sharing this story
but to be honest i do not think that reading the quran without understanding anything is very usefull for a muslim
of course there is nothing negative to read the quran in arabic
but more important is that you have to read the quran with its translation
how you want to fear god or increase your iman
if you dont know what your Lord told you to
how do you want to know who is your Lord
there might be very few people who became real moslems if they read the quran without understanding anything
so my advise for all muslims is to read the quran in the language which you understand everyday at least for 5 minutes
and dont stop reading if you finished it once
the quran must become a part of our life everyday

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum

JazakAllahu khair for sharing...really beautiful one, subhan Allah

wassalamu alaikum

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah everyone is in good health and Iman these the last days of Ramadan.

I must agree that reading Quran in its translation is most beneficial to understanding what our Allah wants us to do in our lives and what life is all about. I have read the entire Quran from cover to cover 7 times and I am almost finished with my 8th time. I have to say I have only read the english translation because I am not able to read Arabic but my dream has been and is still to one day inshallah read this blessed and mighty book in the natural language it was written.....Arabic. Inshallah Allah will grant me this wish someday.

Usually I read at least 2 pages after Fajr prayer every day because I remember reading somewhere that this is the best time to read Quran and Allah witnesses (or maybe the angels Im not exactly sure) when you read Quran at Fajr. Im not positive on this I just remember I read it back when I was trying to learn about Islam so thats why I chose this time each day to read a little or as much as I am able.

Now that it is Ramadan and because I want to feel closer to Allah during this blessed month I have tried my best to read Quran with each of the 5 prayers per day but I have to admit I have only been able to read about 2 entire surah per day (still better than my normal 2 pages per day but not reaching my goal).

I have to say I rarely memorize what I have read and although I have read the entire Quran 7 times so far I dont feel I could quote from it at all because I dont remember the surah names or what I have read in it once its closed just as the boy in the story said. The part of the story that I agree with is the end when the grandfather told the boy reading Quran will cleanse you inside.......I do feel its power as I am reading and I believe everything I read but I dont know why it just wont stick in my head after Im finished reading. Although there have been some times I have been able to repeat some of the stories and lessons but not word for word.

I recommend taking at least a few moments each day to read Quran because even if you dont recognise whats happening to you it will impact your life without you even knowing it.

Happy and blessed Ramadan to all my brothers and sisters here at TTI and in the world. May the blessings of Allah be upon us all Ameen.

ProudToBeaMuslim

Uh-Oh

Dearest Sister, your intention for posting this story might be good, But this story has many Islamically wrong ideas. Infact, many such forward messages do.

A brother has compiled a list of such forward messages that may apparently look harmless, but contains manyy Islamically wrong concepts, and by sharing such stories, more harm is done than good.
Here is that lecture titled "Do not forward" in which the brother tells us about the traps that these messages put us into. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6gaKApto0E
It's a bit lengthy, but totally worth it.
Please ensure that you dont share any such messages without properly verifying it first.
May Allah bless you sister :)

ProudToBeaMuslim

Sister, for now, I suggest you edit your first post and replace it with something else. Not everyone who reads the story may skip down to see my warning post. JazakAllahu Khairan sister.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
I learnt arabic alphabet at first,then I learnt how to read entire words thanks to the Quran.I understand what it's written there and I remember every word I see.now I read arabic language as it's my original one:wasalam:

Abu Ameerah

Quran

We should not stop reading the Qur'an even if we do not understand its meaning, but we should try our best to understand it. We should study Arabic and its meaning which has been translated into different languages.

JenGiove

:salam2: Brothers and Sisters,

I read this story as well and I also found it heartwarming. Sister Proud, while I have yet to read the thread you suggested <I will in a minute> I wanted to share a story with everyone here.

Before I came here to TTI, I listened to the recitations on youtube. Over and over I would listen to them, even though I never understood a word. Over and over the words would be listened to and all I knew was that it was beautiful and musical.

I came here and started reading and while browsing, I naturally encountered the arabic script. Over and over I would see the same things. The same patterns and I'd hear the same recitations.

Was it pointless? should I have learned how to read and write before listening to the recitations? Maybe not.

Recently, I explored a children's website from a link that was posted here. What happened next was my proudest moment. I saw and READ my first word......Allah.

While listening to the recitations, I started to be able to pick out the individual words. Alhamdulilah, Bilismilah, Allah, Kafir.....

So tell me, was listening and reading even though I could not understand pointless? :)

Not when the first words to be learned are Allah!

ProudToBeaMuslim

:salam2: Brothers and Sisters,

I read this story as well and I also found it heartwarming. Sister Proud, while I have yet to read the thread you suggested <I will in a minute> I wanted to share a story with everyone here.

Before I came here to TTI, I listened to the recitations on youtube. Over and over I would listen to them, even though I never understood a word. Over and over the words would be listened to and all I knew was that it was beautiful and musical.

I came here and started reading and while browsing, I naturally encountered the arabic script. Over and over I would see the same things. The same patterns and I'd hear the same recitations.

Was it pointless? should I have learned how to read and write before listening to the recitations? Maybe not.

Recently, I explored a children's website from a link that was posted here. What happened next was my proudest moment. I saw and READ my first word......Allah.

While listening to the recitations, I started to be able to pick out the individual words. Alhamdulilah, Bilismilah, Allah, Kafir.....

So tell me, was listening and reading even though I could not understand pointless? :)

Not when the first words to be learned are Allah!

Nobody says that it's pointless to listen to the Qur'an, it is Allah's speech afterall, and it has an effect.
The thing is, such stories Justify not learning the Qur'an for guidance. It encourages blind recitation. And we don't want that. Many other wrong concepts, too, can be found.

And I am sorry, but that link is for a lecture , not a thread :)

JenGiove

Nobody says that it's pointless to listen to the Qur'an, it is Allah's speech afterall, and it has an effect.
The thing is, such stories Justify not learning the Qur'an for guidance. It encourages blind recitation. And we don't want that. Many other wrong concepts, too, can be found.

And I am sorry, but that link is for a lecture , not a thread :)

:salam2: Sister,

The thing is, in the story, the boy states that HE is the one who doesn't understand. We don't know if the grandfather does or not. The grandfather was trying to teach the boy to 1) keep trying but 2) that we don't know the changes that happen to us until its all done. Just like I wasn't aware of me becoming used to hearing the differences in the recitation of the words, until I could make out different words....by then, I already learned them.

As for the link...sorry, I misspoke that it was a thread...no matter...not a big deal.

ProudToBeaMuslim

:salam2: Sister,

The thing is, in the story, the boy states that HE is the one who doesn't understand. We don't know if the grandfather does or not. The grandfather was trying to teach the boy to 1) keep trying but 2) that we don't know the changes that happen to us until its all done. Just like I wasn't aware of me becoming used to hearing the differences in the recitation of the words, until I could make out different words....by then, I already learned them.

As for the link...sorry, I misspoke that it was a thread...no matter...not a big deal.
Wa'alikum,
It might have a personal implication for you, (in terms of recognizing the differences in the recitation of the words) but for an average Muslim, He/She would understand the story to justify blind recitation.
Here is the part of the lecture that deals with the story:
[yt]z3w1I88FVOU&feature[/yt]

JenGiove

:salam2:Sister,

Ok, I understand now. I understand that "blind" understanding is unislamic. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want a Doctor who can recite the PDR <Physician's Desk Reference> in latin but not understand what the words mean....what good is it? Yes, in that respect, I agree with you that it IS pointless.

MY point however is that its about intentions. If you recite and listen with the INTENTION of eventually understanding, then the efforts can't be useless, can they? Isn't Islam all about intention and action?

Thank you for the video. It was fascinating to learn about the Muslim thinking. I like things that are logical.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Salams , there is some thing beautiful in listening to the recitation of Quran , even if you can not uderstand it, some thing moves you inside, we all of course have to strive to learn its meaning and memorise it if possible, learn Arabic. Also we are rewarded for every letter , not just word we read in the in Arabic as it is the words of Allah ta'laa.
One Ramadann my Mum was staying with us ( she is not a muslim) and she loved to listen to the sermon (as she called it) on the TV from Makkah.
She also knows Islam is the right religion, inshallah Allah Ta'laa will guide her to make shahadah , please make Du'aa for her,.........Ameen

aslamjiffry

Hubbu Rasoolullah
Jazakallah Khairah for sharing this article............. I have rcvd this through a mail long time ago. After reading this again i refresh my heart.......... Wasslaam!