why not?

ShaheedU

Extinct
:salam2:

Erm, we say 'ghost' as in GO-st y'know rhymes with host. Anyway, that ain't too much of a big deal. The pressing issue is the 'toMAYto thing!!! What's up with that???!!!! Drives me nuts:angryblue:

wasalam

salam

sorry brits but i think the americans have the 'tomayto' thing right, cos...we say 'potayto' dont we....should be the same...potato/tomato...yeah?

Wow, do you know how many discussion with my friends ends up with tomayto/tomaato argument?!!!

Im a tomayto guy, but now i find the americans say it too........:(
But im afraid Abdul Raheems wrong.

lol, Samiha, you had me saying 'Ghost' at my computer, imagine if someone walked in!

Oh yeh, i dont feel like quoting, but when i mentioned dodgy mods, i was talking about our friend AbdulRaheem :)

samiha

---------
Staff member

Wow, do you know how many discussion with my friends ends up with tomayto/tomaato argument?!!!

Im a tomayto guy, but now i find the americans say it too........:(
But im afraid Abdul Raheems wrong.

HEY, that's becuz we say it right. now if only you all could realize that too :p

lol, Samiha, you had me saying 'Ghost' at my computer, imagine if someone walked in!

ME?! I've been saying it so many times i have got the family asking if i'm alright! And it's so cute how even though Americans and Brits say it same way it still sounds diff. And i've been trying to recognize that slight alteration that gives it the British quality, but can't put a name to it. :D Must be the way ya'll twist your mouths or something!

:wasalam:

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

At the end of the day, Americans are just a load of Brits who sailed off to a far away land, who then decided they didn't want nothing to do with the Brits as they'd discovered 'the new world'. They couldn't be bothered to invent a new language so they just changed it however they liked, or maybe being so far away from 'civiliisation' they forgot how to spell and speak English properly!

wasalam

samiha

---------
Staff member

possibly, even you guys cant get EVERYTHING wrong!

I'm sure you Islanders would know.

Its called an accent.;)

That's so very crude of you. Duh it's an accent, it's just finding out what makes an accent so different. Like even in the US there are different accents used by diff types of people from different places, and some have certain qualities you can put a name to. Like the Southern Drawl and stuff like that. Others are just by instinct, the Brit accent for example. :p

At the end of the day, Americans are just a load of Brits who sailed off to a far away land,

The day just started so ... NOT ME! I flew!! wheee... :p

You forgot to mention... sailed off to a faraway land facing many perils and dangers to arrive in a barbaric and uncouth land in which their nationalities were forged anew due to the hard work they did unlike their fellow Tea sipping brits!

who then decided they didn't want nothing to do with the Brits as they'd discovered 'the new world'.
that was already occupied by Native Americans

They couldn't be bothered to invent a new language so they just changed it however they liked, or maybe being so far away from 'civiliisation' they forgot how to spell and speak English properly!

SO they improved the language to be more simple and easy to say on the mouth, led a simple life, and since at least they can spell

CIVILIZATION with the proper sound of "Z" not Zed...

they created a new culture which was better than the obsolete british.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

The day just started so ... NOT ME! I flew!! wheee... :p

You forgot to mention... sailed off to a faraway land facing many perils and dangers to arrive in a barbaric and uncouth land in which their nationalities were forged anew due to the hard work they did unlike their fellow Tea sipping brits!

that was already occupied by Native Americans

SO they improved the language to be more simple and easy to say on the mouth, led a simple life, and since at least they can spell

CIVILIZATION with the proper sound of "Z" not Zed...

they created a new culture which was better than the obsolete british.

Eitherway, makes no difference to me seeing as I'm not British nor do I see myself as one:SMILY129: I just inhabit the island and speak the language, that's about it!

wasalam

samiha

---------
Staff member

Eitherway, makes no difference to me seeing as I'm not British nor do I see myself as one:SMILY129: I just inhabit the island and speak the language, that's about it!

wasalam

Funny, I was just about to add the same kind of thing as well. I am technically American, in regards to my Passport bearing an Eagle, but not born here and I don't hold thier culture to be superior or anything. :astag: I speak their accent by default, and does not always play to my advantage but it helps in certain situations.

Allah knows I've gotten mad at some Americans plenty of times for their frank, open, brash, and sometimes arrogant attitude. "I'm American, therefore I HAVE the right." sheesh... now we now why they fell into the idea of Manifest Destiny...

but this accent thing? I love it lots. I really like all accents, makes the language colorful!

ShaheedU

Extinct
Like even in the US there are different accents used by diff types of people from different places, and some have certain qualities you can put a name to. Like the Southern Drawl and stuff like that. Others are just by instinct, the Brit accent for example. :p
assalamualaikum

Now you kids have stopped bickering, i just wanted ask something.

What are you talking about Samiha? that southern accent sounds soooooo silly!!!
Dont you agree Abdul Raheem who gave up that argument ever so quickly?!

samiha

---------
Staff member
assalamualaikum

Now you kids have stopped bickering, i just wanted ask something.

What are you talking about Samiha? that southern accent sounds soooooo silly!!!
Dont you agree Abdul Raheem who gave up that argument ever so quickly?!

wa alaykum salam.

i must disperse into the world... but i'm talking about people around Georgia, Alabama and stuff. I had a friend from around there, and it's funny how some words just come different. Like they really do say ya'll and all the words are stretched out... it's silly in some ways but so are all accents i assume.

ShaheedU

Extinct
wa alaykum salam.

i must disperse into the world... but i'm talking about people around Georgia, Alabama and stuff. I had a friend from around there, and it's funny how some words just come different. Like they really do say ya'll and all the words are stretched out... it's silly in some ways but so are all accents i assume.

i know ive heard them! And it sounds so...........stupid mad oil baron tycoonish........does that make sense?

Nope, Abdul Raheems accent is normal.:SMILY231:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Here in Australia (and NZ), people spell civilisation with an 's', and they spell colour with a 'u'.

:D

Salam alaikum.

samiha

---------
Staff member

i know ive heard them! And it sounds so...........stupid mad oil baron tycoonish........does that make sense?

Nope, Abdul Raheems accent is normal.:SMILY231:

nope doesn't make any sense as i've never heard/meet any stupid mad oil baron tycoonish type person.

Here in Australia (and NZ), people spell civilisation with an 's', and they spell colour with a 'u'.

:D

Salam alaikum.

wa alaykum salam...

*mumble* *mumble* British coloniZation grr.. *mumble* taking over language... :)

Oh ... that's VERY interesting!! I'm glad you've REALIZED exactly how you spell COLOR and CIVILIZATION. ;)

lol, this is a pathetic rebuttal, and i know it but:

MICROSOFT WORD SPELLS HONOR without a "U" !! So there :D

dna1987

Muslim Guy

wa alaykum salam...

*mumble* *mumble* British coloniZation grr.. *mumble* taking over language... :)

Oh ... that's VERY interesting!! I'm glad you've REALIZED exactly how you spell COLOR and CIVILIZATION. ;)

lol, this is a pathetic rebuttal, and i know it but:

MICROSOFT WORD SPELLS HONOR without a "U" !! So there :D

Actually ... I think you can chnage the option. There is an "English US" option, and an "English UK" option I think. The second option should be "English - The Entire World minus USA" version. :)

Salam alaikum.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Thats cos Microsoft is stupid and AMERICAN!!!

You forgot to mention RICH. :D

(I know you can change options... lol i've done it before and couldn't fix it until later. How are the other settings like Afrikaans, Belarusian, Czech and stuff different?)

ShaheedU

Extinct
How are the other settings like Afrikaans, Belarusian, Czech and stuff different?

wa alaikumassalaam,

I dont know, how are the other settings like Afrikaans, Belarusian, Czech and stuff different?:D This sounds like a rubbish joke/