Women welcome Grand Mufti’s Ruling on Forced Marriages

BintMuhammad

Staff member
:salam2:

I know this news is kind of old but I just thought it might help inform people who think Saudi Arabia tolerates forced marriages.

Wednesday 13 April 2005

Saudi Arabia’s Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Asheikh, who heads the Council of Senior Islamic Scholars, has come out strongly against the practice of forcing women to marry against their will while calling for the imprisonment of violators, the Saudi Press Agency reported yesterday.

The grand mufti’s call evoked positive reaction among women in the Kingdom, who greatly welcomed the move, saying it was a “wake-up” call. They also hoped that a mechanism would be set up to monitor and help those who come out against such practices.

“Forcing a woman to marry someone she does not want and preventing her from wedding someone she chooses ... is not permissible,” the grand mufti said. “Anyone who insists on forcing a woman ... to marry against her will is disobeying God and His Prophet (Muhammad),” he said.

Sheikh Abdul Aziz said anyone who does not give up this pre-Islamic practice “should be punished by imprisonment and should not be released until he drops his demand, which contravenes the provisions of Shariah.”

Violators should be kept behind bars until they commit to “refrain from aggressing the woman, her legal tutor and the man she marries, and until the chief of their tribe or another influential member of the tribe guarantees that they will comply with this and refrain from aggression,” he added.

http://www.fatwa-online.com/news/0050413.htm

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum.

It's a good ruling. And seems to cover the loophole too having another influential member of the family also promise that the violater will not be aggresive or try to coerce the lady before being let out.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

I can't imagine a woman or a man being forced into marriage like the emotions through that must be extremely off the charts.

:wasalam:

Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as having said: "A woman without a husband (or divorced or a widow) must not be married until she is consulted, and a virgin must not be married until her permission is sought. They asked the Prophet of Allah (may peace be upon him): How her (virgin's) consent can be solicited? He (the Holy Prophet) said: That she keeps silence. (Translation of Sahih Muslim, The Book of Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Book 008, Number 3303)"

Allah Almighty said in the Noble Quran: "O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may take away part of the dower [money given by the husband to the wife for the marriage contract] ye have given them, except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and God brings about through it a great deal of good. (The Noble Quran, 4:19)"

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.
Salaam,

It's seems to be a fair ruling seeing that it is against the shariyah of Islam to have the consent of both parties. However, I think that Saudi Arabia is going to the extreme with ruling out punishments on anything they seem to see as a problem. Punishments aren't the only way in reforming a society. I mean as far as my limited Islamic knowledge is concerned, the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon did not use punishment as a means of implementation.

I think the violators of the Islamic norms should be left to Allah Ta'allah for judgemnet; it is for him to decide whether they receive their punishment in this life or the hereafter. Who are we as humans to judge, punish and reward people? After all, the best of all Judges is Allah Ta'allah alone.

Wasalaam

arabookworm

Salaam,

It's seems to be a fair ruling seeing that it is against the shariyah of Islam to have the consent of both parties. However, I think that Saudi Arabia is going to the extreme with ruling out punishments on anything they seem to see as a problem. Punishments aren't the only way in reforming a society. I mean as far as my limited Islamic knowledge is concerned, the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon did not use punishment as a means of implementation.

I think the violators of the Islamic norms should be left to Allah Ta'allah for judgemnet; it is for him to decide whether they receive their punishment in this life or the hereafter. Who are we as humans to judge, punish and reward people? After all, the best of all Judges is Allah Ta'allah alone.

Wasalaam

but this is a pretty widespread problem based on the reaction, and sometimes the only way poeple follow a law is if they know they'll be punished if they don't.