WORDS

Karima

Asalamualkium, (May the Peace of God be upon You)

I have found that there are many Arabic terms used throughout the English writings For example, what is another word for 'Fajr', Suhoor, Dua, etc.

When one is learning about Islam, and these foreign words are used sporaticaly, why cannot all words remain in English?

Is there an English word for each of these, or is this an infliction of Arabic into the English vocabulary which has no English term?

In other words, anyone who is an English speaking person, has to adapt phrases in Arabic, just to understand God/Allah..when beforehand, God/Allah was so simple to pray to?

Sallam (Peace)

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

if i can recall , i watch a golfing event . It took place in America and the place is called medina . Has anyone heard of it??

Algebra....and also cosmology

happy 2 b muslim

its because the english language is weak and doenst have phase for them that why you find the bibles use to be greek then into latian now the english is to weak for the bible aswell if that helped if not visit watchislam.com yusuf estes talks about it a lot...............salam alaykum

Karima

Asalamualikum,

For native speaking English, why would one of another language claim that their language is God's language.

Can someone explain the terms mentioned above in true English words?

This would define what they mean.

Sallam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
:wasalam:

Fajr literally means Dawn. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I think it would feel awkward to say "It's time to pray the Dawn prayer" (Salatu'l Fajr) :D and Du'a means "to call out" or "supplicate". Besides, it's good to practice using Arabic terms to prepare us in learning the Arabic language. The Qur'an was revealed in Arabic, if we rely only thru the translation, which we know is man-made and imperfect, greater chance of misinterpretation. May Allaah swt give us the eagerness and means of learning this beautiful language AMEEN.

Is it waajib (obligatory) for non-Arabs to learn Arabic?

Question:
Is it compulsory to learn arabic? language for the non-speaker of the language of the moslems ? And is it Wajib, Mustahab or something else ?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We put the following question to Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen:

Is it obligatory for non-Arabs to learn Arabic?

He, may Allaah preserve him, replied as follows:

They have to learn as much as they need for Islamic purposes, how to pronounce the words and what they mean, such as the Takbeer, al-Faatihah and al-Tasbeehaat – those that are obligatory in the prayer and for other duties.

justoneofmillion

Asalamualikum,

For native speaking English, why would one of another language claim that their language is God's language.

Can someone explain the terms mentioned above in true English words?

This would define :salah: what they mean.

Sallam
assalam,people do not really seemto find it hard when using English terms in informatics or market economy even tough we all understand numbers!so why wouldn´t somebody be given the chance and have access to the language of the Quraan?(the first Muslims were mesmerized and seduced by the language of the quraan),why reduce Arabic to some sort of second class language and not export it when it is spoken daily by hundred of millions of people,?,as you may well know ,whether it is english ,french,italian ,spanish,german all of them contain tons of words derived from the Arabic vocabulary,but that is less important...fact is that Arabic is a very spiritually structured language,highly impacted by the grammar and vocabulary of the Quran ,you would rarely miss to hear the word Allah swt or jazakallah or inschallah...etc in a conversation and it is not old fashion ,never was and never will be alhamdulillah! you can still try to say it in English may god reward you or Que dieu te recompense in french or mag gott dich dafür schön belohnen in German...etc,i mean it is understandable but it is not much of big use in folks mouths nowadays in western languages especially among the youth...so to return to your initial question "why so many muslims from the four corners of the planet use Arabic for specific terms?"well i guess the solution to this riddle is the word is nostalgia. as simple as that.i believe it is really important for muslims to learn Arabic in order to be able to appreciate the astonishing beauty of the Quran, and experience the real depth of it`s words,the way the meaning you are alluding to,takes form to fit in our little human minds and magestically conquers our hearts is sublime for us muslims ,it would be too sad to keep it selfishly for our silent souls only!,we need to share it!
i love Arabic:)

best regards

sindbad

NeedGuidance

Salam,

I know after saying prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) we must say peace be upon him. A lot of times I see it written and it says ... prophet Muhammed (saw)

Can someone write in latin script what the saw stands for. I know it means peace be upon him. But in arabic...how to say it.

Thank you

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Salam,

I know after saying prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) we must say peace be upon him. A lot of times I see it written and it says ... prophet Muhammed (saw)

Can someone write in latin script what the saw stands for. I know it means peace be upon him. But in arabic...how to say it.

Thank you

When we write (SAW) that means sal'Allahu alayhi wa salaam.

:wasalam:

dianne

if i can recall , i watch a golfing event . It took place in America and the place is called medina . Has anyone heard of it??

Algebra....and also cosmology

Salam,

ada bandar ada makna nama tempat - contoh

Cities across the United States and Canada bear names that are of Indian and Islamic derivation. Have you ever wondered what the name Tallahassee means? It means that He Allah will deliver you sometime in the future.

The last Cherokee chief who had a Muslim name was Ramadhan Ibn Wati of the Cherokees in 1866.

wassalam

Karima

MashaAllah,

Thank you for all of this to help put logic into the purpose of Arabic. My grandfather is a decendant of an American Cherokee Chief. Perhaps, there is some reason for me in this.

The Arabic language is one that I am studying, and it is a language that is slowly becomming familiar for me. I was just curious why Arabic is mixed with English, and the above reasons have helped clear this.

Sallam