Your experience of Islamophobia??

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam 'Aleikum,

Funny yesterday I was at the bus stop on my own and I see a gang of teenage boys coming my way and I could smell trouble. As they were heading my way, one of hem threw something on a bus so I was practically sure they would say or do something to me. I read ayatu kursi and was getting ready for anything whilst trying to appear relaxed (never show fear) so as they were approaching me I was just looking at them and their ring leader in the eye (don't feel intimated) and he said something like: "Why she staring at me? Sorry I'm taken" LOL I said: You're funny dude! In a very sarcastic tone and he said to his friend: "what did she say?" Surprised I spoke English ! They just walked past by me.

Another time during winter, I remember getting off the bus and it was snowing and a bunch of kids were playing and they saw me. They must have thought it would be funny to throw snowballs at me so I heard one of them say: "Shall I throw it?" I wasn't in a good mood I just shouted : "Go on! Try me!" lol miskeen he just left

These are not really incidents of islamophobia but it shows that for some reason people tend to think we are easy targets for their comments and that we take it all. I'm not the type of person that speaks out or shouts and the very few times I've done I've surprised my own self but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!
Some friend of mine got chased- that's unacceptable!

justoneofmillion

Asalaamu'alaykum.

I too have experienced islamophobia. When I started wearing my headscarf a few years ago, my neighbours stopped greeting me. Like once, I walked out of my house, on my way to school and I know this lady I always say hello to. So when I greeted her with 'hello', she just blanked me and pretended not to notice, which I found very rude. Also, this old man used to always say hello to me and I used to greet him as well, now when I greet him, he just blanks me and looks at me up and down because of the way I am dressed but I just ignore and move on.
I remember back around 2006, I was walking home from school and there were three kids. Two boys, and one girl. I was walking behind them and they noticed me. Then one of the boys said, "Oh look! It's usama bin laden. Gna blow up our country. Five..four...three...two...one!" And the others started laughing. I just ignored and crossed the road, where then they got rocks and started throwing them at me without mercy. One rock hit me really hard on my chest, and it really hurt. I got mad, so I picked up a rock and tried to throw it back at them and they just ran off. Then I went home, went in my room and cried because of the shock and that.
Other than that, I get the odd looks, dirty looks, rude comments. Even this lady in my gym, she is so rude to me, very sarcastic and the tone she uses when she speaks to me is different from the way she addresses others.
Oh yh, I remember last summer, it was veryyy hot and I had to go out. (I avoid going out in the summer because the reaction I get from the non-Muslims). Anyway, I was wearing black headscarf and abaya and I went shopping and there was this english boy who walked past me, and said "Ain't you f****** hot" but he said it in such a low voice so I could hardly hear him. I had the urge to react to what he said, because yes I was dying of the heat and was in a bad mood already, but I just left it.
Another time, it was summer and I was walking to school and this lady was with her friends, pushing a buggy. When she walked past me she was like, "Bloody freezing cold!"
Anyway, I face racism/islamophobia all the time, nothing new for me but when my brother or other siblings are with me, people leave me alone, just when I'm on my own, then they start on me.
:salam2:This is really uppseting sister like some brother said.Stay strong mashallah!on the other hand it is the sign that you are following the prophets.All of them From Ibrahim to Moses to Jesus aleihim assalaam and Muhammad sallah llahu aleihi wassallam have been rejected, despised and mocked at their time.

Make sure you are surrounded by your brothers as much as you can.I personally have never witnessed anything like that happening to a sister alhamdulillah,I might end up in jail if I ever do,this is cowardly,ignorant and childish.

May Allah swt bless you and make it easier for you.

xAllahKnowsBestx

Another time during winter, I remember getting off the bus and it was snowing and a bunch of kids were playing and they saw me. They must have thought it would be funny to throw snowballs at me so I heard one of them say: "Shall I throw it?" I wasn't in a good mood I just shouted : "Go on! Try me!" lol miskeen he just left

Lol! Omg sis, you're brave! :p And being chased? Whaaaa? That is so not acceptable, and crazy!! :/

Like two weeks ago, I was walking down the hallways in school with another one of my Muslim friends, and as we approached a bunch of creepy-looking guys, they tried to "block us". And then one of them suddenly made a "noise" that was supposed to sound like a bomb [lol] and the others shouted "MUZZZZLIMMM". LOL, we laughed and I just said "You're hilarious" and walked away. I pity these people. :p :D :D :D

Kakorot

:salam2:

One day I was sitting on a bench and three men came (two white, one mixed race) with a dog. When they walked past me, one of the men clicked his fingers at his dog towards me, saying something like "Ere, get dis one 'ere", trying to threaten me with his dog. And then he said something like we Muslims are brainwashers.

In my jahil days, I was kinda arrogant and would always stick up for myself. I used to get beaten, spat on the face etc. but still continued to defend myself. However nowadays I've become a softy and let people step on me.

I think when we face such incidences, we should remember the Prophet :saw2: and how the people used to physically harm him, since what most of us have experiences isn't even close to that. Thinking like this helps me get over it.

justoneofmillion

One day I was sitting on a bench and three men came (two white, one mixed race) with a dog. When they walked past me, one of the men clicked his fingers at his dog towards me, saying something like "Ere, get dis one 'ere", trying to threaten me with his dog. And then he said something like we Muslims are brainwashers.

In my jahil days, I was kinda arrogant and would always stick up for myself. I used to get beaten, spat on the face etc. but still continued to defend myself. However nowadays I've become a softy and let people step on me.

I think when we face such incidences, we should remember the Prophet :saw2: and how the people used to physically harm him, since what most of us have experiences isn't even close to that. Thinking like this helps me get over it.
:salam2:Mashallah! but no sister,do not get beaten or stepped on.There is a law you can appeal to aswell.If it is somebody persistent your brothers should take care of him...You should take some protection kit with you for any random case.Like pepper spray and such...would you?

menj1980

Reading all the stories above, I have become even more convinced that the Western world are increasingly ceasing to become Dar al-Ahd (Abode of The Covenant) and are becoming more and more like Dar al-Harb (Abode of War). I urge all of you to consider emigration to the Muslim world, where you will not be facing these kinds of ridicule, mockery and sometimes even outright harm (like the story one sister faced when she got pelted by stones). These things are unthinkable of happening in my country, Malaysia.

I understand that this option may not be possible for some of you (maybe due to personal commitments or financial issues), but I hope that this option is seriously considered.

Wassalam, your brother MENJ.

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
I've had a number of incidents happen to me.

1. When I was at university, I was invited as part of the Christian Union to attend the Islamic Society's interfaith conference. For this I was requested that I wear modest clothes, and so I chose to wear a full hijab, an abaya of mine (I LOVE abayas!) and my long shawl.
The conference itself ran until late, something like 10pm, and so I decided to walk through town to get the express bus back home along with a group of Muslim friends. Unfortunately our dress and the fact we were speaking Arabic drew the attention of some young boys, who decided to pelt us with small pebbles, a coke bottle and bits of mud. They also called us 'terrorists' and told us to 'go back to your own country'.

2. One day I'd been to my Arabic class as normal and again, I was dressed in my hijaab and abaya, as well as a long coat (well it was November). I went to the back of the bus and began to read my English/Arabic Qur'an in peace. A group of teenage boys got onto the bus and came and sat close to me. One of them noticed my dress and my Qur'an and immediately there were comments of 'think she's going to blow up the bus?' and 'she's a terrorist'.

3. Unfortunately the biggest source of Islamiphobia in my life is my own mother, who seems to hate Islam. She detests the headscarf and sees it as a form of oppression, and ditto for the niqab, thinks salah to be a pointless waste of time done by brainwashed fanatics and has actively told me that if I become a Muslim she will hate me for being 'brainwashed'.

strive-may-i

Yes, often they make it difficult. But this should always guide us -

“ O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allah and be just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear Allah. Verily, Allah is Well-Acquainted with what you do.” [Qur'an 5:8 ]"

And these ways from Prophet :saw: will give us a win and make sane people look up to us as friends...

“What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured." (Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Hurairah: Allah’s Messenger said, “He who believes in Allah and the Last Day must not harm his neighbour, and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day must show hospitality to his guest, and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak good or remain silent.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Narrated Anas: The Prophet said, “Make things easy and do not make them difficult, cheer the people up by conveying glad tidings to them and do not repulse (them).” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

I was on the other side of this once. I used to be an Islamophobe. I hated Muslims and Islam. I saw them as dog-hating uptight American-destroying suicide bombers who wanted me dead, and honestly, I can't say that I didn't feel the same to them either. I knew nothing of Islam, nor did I care too.

A lot of this was because I hated my own self for a long time, and I projected that self-hate into anger towards everyone else. I mocked and cursed Muslims and the Prophet, and I said many times that Allah was a false god.

I often think about that time, and it makes me ashamed sometimes. There have been times when I have prayed with tears in my eyes thinking about who I used to be and how I never want to be that man again. I am learning to let go of my anger and self-hatred, and it has not been an easy lesson to learn. Sometimes I still get down, and I wonder if I can ever be a better man.

Sister Zohra

I was on the other side of this once. I used to be an Islamophobe. I hated Muslims and Islam. I saw them as dog-hating uptight American-destroying suicide bombers who wanted me dead, and honestly, I can't say that I didn't feel the same to them either. I knew nothing of Islam, nor did I care too.

A lot of this was because I hated my own self for a long time, and I projected that self-hate into anger towards everyone else. I mocked and cursed Muslims and the Prophet, and I said many times that Allah was a false god.

I often think about that time, and it makes me ashamed sometimes. There have been times when I have prayed with tears in my eyes thinking about who I used to be and how I never want to be that man again. I am learning to let go of my anger and self-hatred, and it has not been an easy lesson to learn. Sometimes I still get down, and I wonder if I can ever be a better man.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Insha'Allah brother. You are very admirable, your story is inspiring.

In fact, this whole thread is. I make du'aa for all of you.

Marina28

I always get stares, anyways I was very nervous going in to work wearing my hijaab but I worrying no reason cos everyone at work was fine bout it. They did ask funny questions through, I ask my manger if I could get Fridays off all the time he ask why, cos I wanted to go mosque. One of them ask is it Muslim holiday? Hahhhahahaha. Another question was now I'm Muslim does that mean I don't eat meat? Lol I just told them I only eat halal. Lol at first i was i guess the word is embarrassed to wear islamaic robes and hijaab get all the stares but in the end u have to answer to allah and wot u gonna say?i dont like stares?wot kind excuse is that?so i just got the courage to do it and u know wot i felt better with myself that i was doing the right thing. if they wanna look and stare be rude to me thats there deal not mine, im not doing anything wrong. i love wearing my robes now, i would wearing my hijaab, Im cashier and some customers r rude to me and make funy voice or give me dirty looks, but u just have push through it. I do hate working in Romford through cos most the r racists. Some customers r nice asking wear I get my pins or saying how like my hijaab.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
I always get stares, anyways I was very nervous going in to work wearing my hijaab but I worrying no reason cos everyone at work was fine bout it. They did ask funny questions through, I ask my manger if I could get Fridays off all the time he ask why, cos I wanted to go mosque. One of them ask is it Muslim holiday? Hahhhahahaha. Another question was now I'm Muslim does that mean I don't eat meat? Lol I just told them I only eat halal. Lol at first i was i guess the word is embarrassed to wear islamaic robes and hijaab get all the stares but in the end u have to answer to allah and wot u gonna say?i dont like stares?wot kind excuse is that?so i just got the courage to do it and u know wot i felt better with myself that i was doing the right thing. if they wanna look and stare be rude to me thats there deal not mine, im not doing anything wrong. i love wearing my robes now, i would wearing my hijaab, Im cashier and some customers r rude to me and make funy voice or give me dirty looks, but u just have push through it. I do hate working in Romford through cos most the r racists. Some customers r nice asking wear I get my pins or saying how like my hijaab.

Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

May Allaah keep you and us steadfast upon the deen of Allaah till our very last breath. Ameen

Marina28

sorry to double post but i had to share...
a regular customor came in yesterday..
C: you never use to wear that before...(pointing at my hijaab)
Me: I converted couple weeks ago
C: to islam?
Me:yes
C: are you happy?( she was giving me some strange look)
Me: yes very happy
C: well as long as ur happy...

that whole conversation was strange..like why wouldnt i be?lol some elderly women are kinda racist too....one said she stop going to ilford cos there too many foreigners...i guess that im always gonna have someone point or comment on my hijaab just seemed strange question to ask.

Daenerys

I reverted to Islam very recently, but have had a couple of eye-opening experiences already.

I went into town after visiting the sisters' centre I go to for Quran study, while wearing hijab and an abaya (I love abayas - would wear them everyday if I could!) - I counted over 50 people glaring at me or looking at me pityingly. I felt really sorry for them that they weren't able to understand the bigger picture and that they were so intolerant.

The first time I was in my car in hijab (not wearing an abaya as I was going to work and there's a dress code - nothing long and flowing, sadly), I got stopped by the police! They wanted to check I was OK, apparently. Sigh.

When I was younger, I had this classmate who's last name meant something in my language. And he was like "I'll ask my friend what my last name means." And I was like " but we don't speak the same language." And he was like "Uh-huh. He speaks muslim."
That had me laughing for days.

And another story I have is my teacher from high school though I wore a hijab because I had cancer.
Subhanallah people are so ignorant about islam.