About Islam

Annox

Hey everyone,

I want to start by thanking everyone who has welcomed me into this forum. As those of you who have seen my intro. post, already know that I am an atheist, but the Islamic faith isn't very unfamiliar to me. I usually don't trust what the media has to say about Muslims, as let's face it, there are lunatics in every religion. That being said, I never believed events such as 9/11 and 7/7 are accurate pictures of Islam, or rather any religion. I don't hate religious people, as in every religion, Islam teaches virtues. No religion promotes violence, it's just people who commits them that are fault. However, I'm an atheist because some of the opinions in organized religions are very irrational. I am a evolutionist and I don't exactly believe in intelligent design. This is where my opinion differ from religious individuals.

I actually came here to learn further about what Islam is really about. Since, as I already mentioned, I'm very skeptical what the media has to say about Muslims.

So I'm post this thread in order to get a better understanding of Islam.

If you don't mind, please give me a brief about what Islam really is about in a short paragraph. Please don't write an essay. Just a short summery will do.

If you are so inclined, you may address the following points:

- Why is Islam the truth?
- What makes Islam better than other organized religions?
- Other than religious differences, what are the possible differences between the character of a good, moral person without faith than a person with a particular faith?

I look forward to the post :)

MariamK

Peace to you my friend Annox.

Just to shortly answer or should i say try answer ur questions.

Islam is the truth because every word of Quran has never been changed and is recited by millions world wide in arabic who are not even arabs and dont talk arabic outside in their walking lives. Islam is a way of life not just a religion, all aspects of life are covered from the moment you wake in the morning, till you sleep at night.

I like you many years ago, didnt accept organised religion.i was blessed to live around muslims and witness their lives before i ever read the quran, i experianced alot of wonderfull things and this brought me closer to islam without me even realisng it. All praise due to Allah, He used my freinds as examples and good exmaples they were, i became muslim 6 years ago and never felt such harmony as i do today.

I can only tell u the difference btwn a person with good morals and no faith compared to a good person with morals and manners who are muslim... the only one thing difference is " ash shadu anla ilaha illa Allah, wa ash shadu anna Mohammedan Abdoowho wa Rasoolo - I testify that there is no god but Allah & Mohammed is His slave and Messenger." Once a person has taken that testimony of faith and accepts all pillars of islam... i open my arms with much happiness and welcome them to Islam untill that time they are my respect friend and guest always.

Peace to you. have yourself a wonderfull evening.
Mariam (mary)

p.s ya ukht wa akhwan fi deen the transliteration i have posted is a spelt a little differently for the purpose inshAllah of making it easier to say for the new freinds we have with us.
Bekhair inshAllah.

tarannumsamir

i hope this answers to ur second question inshallah sister.u said short paragraph,but then sister if u want to get proper knowledge of the religion then its not possible in one paragraph.

Question
All religions basically teach followers to do good deeds. Why should a person only follow Islam? Can he not follow any of the religions?
Answer

Major difference between Islam and most other religions
All religions basically exhort mankind to be righteous and eschew evil. But Islam goes beyond that. It guides us towards practical ways of achieving righteousness and eliminating evil from our individual and collective lives. Islam takes into account human nature and the complexities of human society. Islam is guidance from the Creator Himself. Therefore, Islam is also called the Deen-ul-Fitrah (the natural religion of Man).

Example - Islam commands us to shun robbery and also prescribes method of eleminating robbery
a. Islam prescribes method of eliminating robbery
All major religions teach that theft is an evil act. Islam teaches the same. So what is the difference between Islam and the other religions? The difference lies in the fact that Islam, besides teaching that robbing is evil, shows a practical way of creating a social structure in which people will not rob.
b. Islam prescribes Zakaat
Islam prescribes a system of Zakaat (obligatory annual charity). Islamic law prescribes that every person who has a saving that exceeds the nisaab level i.e. more than 85 grams of gold, should give 2.5% of that saving every lunar year in charity. If every rich person in the world gave Zakaat sincerely, poverty will be eradicated from this world. Not a single human being would die of hunger.
c. Chopping off the hands as punishment for robbery
Islam prescribes chopping off the hands of the convicted robber. The Glorious Qur’an says in Surah Maidah:
"As to the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands:a punishment by way
of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in power, full of wisdom."
[ Al-Qur’an 5:38]
The non-Muslim may say, "Chopping off the hands in this 20th century. Islam is a barbaric and ruthless religion!"
d. Results achieved when Islamic Shariah Implemented
America is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries in the world. Unfortunately it also has one of the highest rates of crime, theft, and robbery. Suppose the Islamic shariah is implemented in America i.e. every rich person gives Zakaat ( 2.5% of his savings in charity above 85 grams of gold every lunar year), and every convicted robber has his or her hands chopped off as a punishment. Will the rate of theft and robbery in America increase, remain same or decrease? Naturally it will decrease. Moreover the existence of such a stringent law would discourage many a potential robber.
I agree that the amount of theft that takes place in the world today is so tremendous that if you chop off the hands of all the thieves, there will be tens of thousands of people whose hands will be chopped off. The point here is that the moment you implement this law the rate of theft will decline immediately. The potential robber would give it a serious thought before jeopardizing his limbs. The mere thought of the punishment itself will discourage majority of the robbers. There will barely be a few who would rob. Hence only a few person’s hands would be chopped off but millions would live peacefully without fear of being robbed.
Islamic Shariah is therefore practical, and achieves results.

Example: Islam prohibits the molestation and rape of women. It enjoins hijaab and prescribes capital punishment for a convicted rapist.
a. Islam prescribes method of eliminating molestation and rape
All the major religions declare the molestation and rape of women as grave sins. Islam teaches the same. What then is the difference between Islam and the other religions? The difference lies in the fact that Islam does not merely preach respect for women, or abhor molestation and rape as serious crimes, but also gives clear guidance as to how society can eliminate such crimes.
b. Hijaab for men
Islam has a system of hijaab. The Glorious Qur’an first mentions hijaab for the men and then for the women. Hijaab for the men is mentioned in the following verse:
"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do."
[Al-Qur’an 24:30]
The moment a man looks at a woman and if any brazen or unashamed thought comes to his mind, he should lower his gaze.
c. Hijaab for women
Hijaab for women is mentioned in the following verse:
"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons...."
[Al-Qur’an 24:31]
The extent of hijaab for a woman is that her complete body should be covered. The only part that can be seen, are the face and the hands up to the wrists. If they wish to cover, they can even cover these parts of the body. However some Islamic scholars insist that even the face should be covered.
d. Hijaab prevents molestation
The reason why Allah has prescribed Hijaab for the women is given in the Qur’an in the folowing verse of Surah Al-Ahzab:
"O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women,that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, most Merciful."
[Al-Qur’an 33:59]
The Qur’an says that Hijaab has been prescribed for the women so that they are recognized as modest women this would prevent them from being molested.
e. Example of twin sisters
Suppose two sisters who are twins and who are equally beautiful, walk down a street. One of them is wearing the Islamic Hijaab i.e. the complete body is covered except for the face and the hands up to the wrists, and the other twin is wearing a mini skirt or shorts. Around the corner there is a hooligan who is waiting for an opportunity to tease a girl. Who will he tease? The girl wearing the Islamic Hijaab or the girl wearing the mini skirt or shorts? Dresses that expose more than they conceal, are an indirect temptation to the opposite sex for teasing, molestation and rape. The Qur’an rightly says that the hijaab prevents women from being molested.
f. Capital punishment for rapist
The Islamic shariah prescribes capital punishment for a convicted rapist. The non-Muslim may be horrified at such a stringent punishment in this age. Many accuse Islam of being ruthless and barbaric. I have asked a common question to hundreds of non-Muslim men. Suppose God-forbid, some one rapes your wife, your mother or your sister and you are made the judge. The rapist is brought in front of you. What punishment would you give him? All of them said, "we would put him to death." Some went to the extent of saying, "we would torture him to death", If your wife or your mother is raped you want the rapist to be put to death. But if someone else’s wife or mother is raped, capital punishment is a barbaric law. Why the double standards?
g. U.S.A. has one of the highest rate of Rape
The United States of America is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries of the world. An F.B.I report in the year 1990 says that 1,02,555 cases of rape were reported. It further says that only 16% of the cases of rapes are reported. Thus, in order to know the actual number of rapes that took place in 1990, the reported figure should be multiplied by 6.25. We get a total of 6,40,968 rape cases that took place in the year 1990. If the total is divided by 365 the number of days in a year, we get an average of 1,756 rape incidents everyday.
Later another report said that an average of 1900 cases of rape are committed in U.S.A every day. According to National Crime Victimization Survey Bureau of Justice Statistics (U. S. Dept. of Justice) in 1996 alone 3,07,000 cases of rape were reported. Only 31% of the actual cases of rape were reported. Thus, 3,07,000 X 3.226 = 9,90,322 rapes took place in 1996. That is, an average of 2,713 cases of rape took place everyday in America in 1996. Every 32 seconds one rape is taking place in America. Maybe American rapists got bolder. The FBI report of 1990 continues and says that out of the rape cases that were reported only 10% of the rapist were arrested, that is only 1.6% of the actual rapes committed. Out of those arrested, 50% were let free before the trial. This would mean that only 0.8% of the rapists faced a trial. In other words if a person commits 125 rapes the chances that he will get a punishment for rape is only once. Many would consider this a good gamble. And the report says that of those people who faced trial 50% received sentences of less than a year’s imprisonment though the American law says rape carries a seven year sentence of imprisonment. For a rapist, the judge is lenient to first time offenders. Imagine a person commits 125 rapes and the chances of being convicted is only once, and 50% of the time the judge will grant leniency and give a sentence of less than a year!
h. Results achieved when Islamic Shariah Implemented
Suppose the Islamic shariah is implemented in America. Whenever a man looks at a woman and if any brazen or unashamed thought comes to his mind, he lowers his gaze. Every woman wears the Islamic Hijaab, that is the complete body is covered except the face and the hands upto the wrists. After this if any man commits rape, he gets capital punishment. The question is, will the rate of rape in America increase, will it remain the same or will it decrease? Naturally it will decrease. Islamic Shariah gets results.

Islam has Practical Solutions for the Problems of Mankind
Islam is the best way of life because its teachings are not doctrinaire rhetoric but practical solutions for the problems of mankind. Islam achieves results both at the individual and collective levels. Islam is the best way of life because it is a practical, universal religion not confined to any ethnic group or nationality.

danyal_1992

:salam2:
1)why Islam is the truth?
There were so many messengers sent by our creator to guide the humankind that wat is the purpose of their creation and Prophet Muhammad(saw) is the last and final messenger sent by our Creator and Quran is the last and final message to the humankind from our Creator and it is for eternity till the end of time and u will not be able to find a single verse of the Holy Quran which goes against the humanity as a whole as well as establish scientific facts.For more information why islam is the truth? wacth Dr.Zakir Naik lecture "Quran and Science conflict or conciliation?" below are the links:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2260954296979594912
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5123853843535568596&q=&hl=en

2)What makes Islam better than other organized religions?
Islam is from our Creator and He knows the best abt wat is good or wat is bad for the human beings.But all other religions were corrupted after they were reveled.

Zafran

Muslim Brother
Salaam

I believe Islam is the truth because it is the final uncorrupted messege given to Muhammad (pbuh) by Allah (God) and that the Quran is the word of God for all of Humanity. This messege of pure monothesism was also preached by other prophets of Allah such as Moses, Jusus and Noah (pbut).

The messege is simple "there is no god worthy of worship but Allah and Muhammad (pbuh) is the last prophet of God".

Islam is better then other 'organised' religions because it isnt an ism or a faith named after a specific person or after a place but because it is the religion Allah wanted us to follow - see the Quran for more info.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
:bismillah1:
In the name of Allah,the merciful, the benficentok, this goes to ur second question
Thank you for your question – I will do my best to answer it.

Islam is unlike any other religion because it is not merely a belief to which one adheres, but rather Islam is a complete way of life. Muslims put their beliefs into practice on a daily basis. Islam provides guidance in all the spheres and activities of life. Furthermore, it is unique in that it is not named after any person, tribe, region or culture. Islam is named after a belief in one God, Allah, and submission to His will. In other words, Muslims put Allah’s Will before their own.

The message of Muhammad (peace be upon him) is not new; his message of absolute monotheism is a reaffirmation of what came before it. We as humans constantly stray from guidance if we are left on our own without a divine reminder, thus Allah the Merciful has sent us prophets to remind us. Islam preaches the same message of all previous prophets. That message is: Allah is One, worship Him alone.

Additionally, human society changes and develops with time, and so Allah has adjusted His Laws slightly over the centuries to correspond accordingly. Thus while Allah's message of divine oneness has been the same since the beginning of time, His Sacred Law has been abrogated and amended with the advent of each new prophet. The Sacred Law of Muhammad (peace be upon him) represents the final version of Allah's commandments applicable to all of humankind until the Last Day.

Islam invites us to what benefits us and all of humanity. It commands goodness towards all people and does not promote preferential treatment for a certain group, be they believers or not. No one is immune from Allah’s commands and laws in Islam.

Islam offers us eternity in Paradise if we obey Allah’s commands. Whether we believe in Him, follow His Guidance, practice good and forbid evil, Allah does not benefit anything from it. We are the ones who benefit from submitting to His Will. Likewise, if we refuse to believe, practice evil and prevent good, Allah is not harmed one bit by our behavior. Rather, it is only we who suffer from our own misdeeds.

Ultimately, the only real guarantee of salvation from Allah’s displeasure and wrath is from Allah Himself. We see this through the example of His Noble Messenger Muhammad (peace be upon him) and Allah’s unfaltering promise in the Holy Qur’an, the final unaltered scripture of Allah. No one will be wronged by Allah an atom's weight in this life or the next. Allah’s promise is reiterated many times in the Holy Qur’an: If we believe and do good deeds, we will be rewarded, while if we deny the message and do evil, we will be punished.

Islam offers guidance to all humankind, regardless of race, culture, education level, sex, and socioeconomic status. Through Islam, we achieve peace with ourselves, with Allah, with our fellow man and even with the environment so that we can live in harmony with the entire universe as Allah intended.

Then why Islam and not Judaism or Christianity? First of all, Islam is the message of the final Prophet to mankind, Muhammad (peace be upon him) and no other prophet has come with true guidance or a new message from Allah since his time. While all previous prophets of Allah (such as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus) were followed by a subsequent prophet and a new Sacred Law that abrogated that which was before it, the prophethood of Muhammad is final and complete – no messenger will come after him. The example of Prophet Muhammad offers solid guidance for all times and places. Islam is the only true universal religion – it is open to people of all cultural backgrounds, man and woman alike. Islam preaches the Oneness of humanity more than any other religious tradition. We are all sons and daughters of Adam and Eve (peace be upon them), and the most beloved human before Allah is the most god-fearing. We are all brothers and sisters from a common ancestor, and we will all return to our Creator in the end.

I hope this has helped you to better understand the values of Islam and what makes it unique. Through continued research on your part and interactions with sincere Muslims, I believe you will see the beauty of Islam and how it will benefit you and those around you.

Thank you and may Allah guide us all. Ameen.:tti_sister:

By the way, your question has touched upon in some depth in a previous answer on our site,:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Hello there...

I would like to begin by welcoming you to TTI as the other brothers and sisters did...and applaud you for your independent-thinking...and your will to learn about what interests you...

I will keep my answers simple as you requested...and perhaps they will contribute in giving you an answer or a better understanding about Islam...

- Why is Islam the truth?
Islam is the truth because it does not challenge human morality, logic or rationality. It encourages the individual to better him/her self through a jursidiction set forth by the divine (Allah). In Islam, Muslims are supposed to constantly reflect on what they see, do, decide, and so on and are not supposed to take follow anything blindly (which some religions do not take too kindly to that). This factor helps the individual make connections between his/her life here, and how it relates to what he/she believes. Also, I must not forget all the scientific miracles and prophecies in the Qura'an and the Hadeeth (sayings of the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)), these matters show further proofs for the religion's truthfulness
- What makes Islam better than other organized religions?

Islam came to correct corruptions and complete former religions (specifically Judaism and Christianity). Think of it as an inclusive and certainly conclusive guide on how to live your life. If the morals and laws of Islam were compiled in a book, it would be the best self-development book you can ever find, so even aside from the issue of divinity, you can find things that will make an individual gravitate towards it and live according to its laws and teachings. However, divinity (in Islam..in its ABSOLUTE monotheism!) provides you the assurance that this guide has come from a source beyond any corruption, selfishness, evil, or error and that its tailored to your human nature in its weaknesses and strengthens.

- Other than religious differences, what are the possible differences between the character of a good, moral person without faith than a person with a particular faith?

A person with a particular faith, of a good and moral character has a purpose for his/her morality and goodness. He/she knows that he/she is here to better him/her self and to help fellow man, as his/her Lord asks of him/her. Muslims consider this life a *transit* to the next, and they need to do whatever it takes to make this *transit* enrichening, moral, and compassionate to themselves and to others, so upon their arrival in their eternal life they would get there knowing that they have done what is required of them and will be rightfully awarded to each accomplishment they made. In short, a person without faith might do just the same, but he/she might not have a purpose for it thus, they're in danger of giving up and losing conviction and determination on leading their lives in that manner.

I tried my best to make this short, but as you can see I still had a lot to say..I hope that is not a problem :hijabi:

and if I might just make a small suggestion to you..that I think would be of benefit in your learning about Islam..

I recommend that you purchase a book of the translation of the meaning of the Qura'an (if you have not already)..and read it carefully..

and at every page you read...you can write down a small question or note or anything of that matter...and then once you're done with the entire Qura'an...you can go back and check the questions and see if they've been answered..and if you still have some left...you can ask us here on TTI about them and we will all try to help you to the best of our ability...or you can ask any Muslim (that you might know) who can provide you with credible and correct answers..or even google them :)

also...along with the Qura'an..I think reading the biography of the Prophet (pbuh) will give you more historical information and knowledge..and you can do the same thing with it...as you did with the Qura'an...

I know someone who did this...and they thought it was the BEST thing they did to learn about Islam...because it was better than sitting down and just "storming-out" questions...things became easier and organized as well!

I thank you for taking the time to ask questions...knowledge is the light that shines through all darkness...and I hope that you will find what you seek through it...

I do not need to ask you not to hesitate to ask questions...as you already seem comfortable doing so...but it's still nice to remind you...to not hesitate AT ALL! :)

Take Care!

Annox

Thanks

Everyone,

I appreciate your responses. I'll look over each one thoroughly, so expect a reply to all of you in the next few days. I'll most likely post a response in a new thread to avoid clutter and ultimately possible confusion.

As far as the word limit go, I realized after I had made my initial post that a paragraph isn't enough. When I went to go edit it, I couldn't find an option to edit my post. I'm still getting used to this site, as you may be able to tell.

So, to any future responders, I'm giving the license to give your full response. You can ignore the length limit.

Thanks.