Any West African members?

Mairo

Maryama
Assalamu alekium everyone,

MashaAllah the forum is well represented with many members from all over the world, it is really great to see. I am curious to know if there are any members from the West Africa region? Specifically, I am also wondering if there is anyone who speaks Hausa?

Wasalaam

Mairo

Maryama
Wa alaikumus salam.
Alhamdulillah am one of those people who can speak Hausa.
Remain blessed.

:ma::ma::ma::ma::ma:

Ikon Allah!!! Am so happy to make your aquaintance dear sister :) Ina jin dadi sosai da na samu mai jin Hausa nan! Kina lahiya? Gida lahiya?

Daga ina kike? / Where are you from?

Thank you so much for your sweet words
Allah ya maki albarka!

Mairo

Maryama
Is Hausa written with the Roman alpahbet, or the Arabic script?

Salaam sister - good question! Hausa is historically an oral tradition language, it has only recently been recorded utilizing the Roman alphabet. But it can often be challenging to read or write it - as most words are written as phonetically as possible, and some places have different ways of writing the words than others, it is not totally consistent. A lot of times you will find that for writing purposes if someone knows English or French they will use that instead of writing in Hausa.

There are many words in Hausa that are also in common with Arabic. Since the majority of places where Hausa is spoken is in majority Muslim population, many people will learn to read and write Arabic, even in the small villages you will find this. So to be honest I'm not sure Hausa can be or is ever written using the Arabic script, although it is certainly possible.

The Hausa language is really awesome - def my favorite that I know.

:wasalam: