Heart+Mind+Qur'an=Pure Bliss

Ashima33

Salaam Everyone.

I'm going to do my best not to make this sound like a rant, but these are things I feel very strongly about and often times here on TTI... I feel I'm a lone ranger.

This place is awesome for discussion and sharing knowledge and ideas. But over time, I have decreased my questioning about certain things because I have realized that I really don't care what the scholars say. This is not to discredit their knowledge and length of studying. I know their knowledge is vital to the history and preservation of Islam, but I am not going to let their opinions be the deciding factor in my life decisions.

God gave you a heart and a mind. Those are the two best tools you can have. If you team them up with the Qur'an (not TTI people)... then it's pure bliss. We will all forever be studying and trying to understand the Qur'an, so we need to just get used to that and take our time doing so as not to be overwhelmed.

What I don't understand is how people on TTI will state fatwas from this scholar and that scholar saying it's more authority than our own individual hearts and minds which we use to communicate with God. These are the same people who say "everyone is born muslim." If we were all born muslim that means God instilled certain instincts, characteristics and remembrance (dhikr) in us. I believe that in trials and tribulations, we know what it right and what is wrong. If we do not know... that is what istikhara is for. I haven't read ANYTHING in the Qur'an that states we should ask so and so Imam or scholars for advice. I have only read about communicating with God.

Errm. That's all I can think of right now that I've been wanting to get out. Sorry if it sounds like a volcano of "Blaaaaaah!"

andi kumala dewi

Scholars refer to people with mastery specifications Islamic sciences, with all the details, from upstream to downstream.

Virtue and the Status of the scholars

Al-Quran provides a description of the degree of elevation of the scholars

يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوٓاْ إِذَا قِيلَ لَكُمۡ تَفَسَّحُواْ فِى ٱلۡمَجَـٰلِسِ فَٱفۡسَحُواْ يَفۡسَحِ ٱللَّهُ لَكُمۡ*!ۖ وَإِذَا قِيلَ ٱنشُزُواْ فَٱنشُزُواْ يَرۡفَعِ ٱللَّهُ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ مِنكُمۡ وَٱلَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ ٱلۡعِلۡمَ دَرَجَـٰتٍ۬*!ۚ وَٱللَّهُ بِمَا تَعۡمَلُونَ خَبِيرٌ۬

O ye who believe! when it is said unto you, Make room! in assemblies, then make room; Allah will make way for you (hereafter). And when it is said, Come up higher! go up higher; Allah will exalt those who believe among you, and those who have knowledge, to high ranks. Allah is Informed of what ye do. (Sura Al Mujadila Verse 11)

Besides the height issue degrees of the scholars, the Qur'an also mentions of the mentality and characteristics, that the scholars are those who fear Allah. As mentioned in one sura :

وَمِنَ ٱلنَّاسِ وَٱلدَّوَآبِّ وَٱلۡأَنۡعَـٰمِ مُخۡتَلِفٌ أَلۡوَٲنُهُ ۥ كَذَٲلِكَۗ إِنَّمَا يَخۡشَى ٱللَّهَ مِنۡ عِبَادِهِ ٱلۡعُلَمَـٰٓؤُاْۗ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ عَزِيزٌ غَفُورٌ

And of men and beasts and cattle, in like manner, divers hues? The erudite among His bondmen fear Allah alone. Lo! Allah is Mighty, Forgiving. (Sura Fatir verse : 28)

Whereas in the hadith the Prophet is mentioned that the scholars are the people who made the heritage and legacy of the prophets.

And the scholars are legacy (heritage) of prophets. The Prophets did not leave a legacy of dinars (gold), dirhams (silver), but they left a legacy of science. (Narateed by Ibn Hibban with a saheeh degrees)

In the book works Ihya'u Ulumud-din Al-Imam Al-Ghazali stated that the closest human dignity with the degree of the Prophets are the Ahlul-ilmi (ulama) and the Ahl al-Jihad (the mujahideen). Because scholars are those who show brought people to the teachings of the apostles, while the mujahid is one who struggled with his sword to defend what is being taught by the apostles.

Amina 1

:wasalam:

Sis I agree with you but do not forget to study the authentic hadeeths from Bukhari and Muslim.

kayleigh

$20 says someone will at some point say something about women being too emotional and irrational to use their own minds to decide matters for themselves like this :D lol

This is how I see it: On most topics there are a variety of opinions, all from scholars, all with evidence to back up their opinion. So at the end of the day, on many issues, you still have to use your own judgment to decide who you're going to believe. But scholars are still important. There are many issues - usually stuff about the technicalities and small thing - that require a scholar, someone who knows much, much more than me about these things. But yes, there are some broad and basic topics I feel are kind of common sense, or something that you will be able to figure out on your own easily enough.

(Off topic, but one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to scholars is when a scholar tries to use medical "facts" which aren't facts at all and are just flat out WRONG in his fatwa. Just because someone is learned in one area doesn't mean he's qualified to speak about anything else.)

Kakorot

Salaam Everyone.

I'm going to do my best not to make this sound like a rant, but these are things I feel very strongly about and often times here on TTI... I feel I'm a lone ranger.

This place is awesome for discussion and sharing knowledge and ideas. But over time, I have decreased my questioning about certain things because I have realized that I really don't care what the scholars say. This is not to discredit their knowledge and length of studying. I know their knowledge is vital to the history and preservation of Islam, but I am not going to let their opinions be the deciding factor in my life decisions.

God gave you a heart and a mind. Those are the two best tools you can have. If you team them up with the Qur'an (not TTI people)... then it's pure bliss. We will all forever be studying and trying to understand the Qur'an, so we need to just get used to that and take our time doing so as not to be overwhelmed.

What I don't understand is how people on TTI will state fatwas from this scholar and that scholar saying it's more authority than our own individual hearts and minds which we use to communicate with God. These are the same people who say "everyone is born muslim." If we were all born muslim that means God instilled certain instincts, characteristics and remembrance (dhikr) in us. I believe that in trials and tribulations, we know what it right and what is wrong. If we do not know... that is what istikhara is for. I haven't read ANYTHING in the Qur'an that states we should ask so and so Imam or scholars for advice. I have only read about communicating with God.

Errm. That's all I can think of right now that I've been wanting to get out. Sorry if it sounds like a volcano of "Blaaaaaah!"

:salam2:

Maybe you skipped this ayah:

O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination. (4:58).

^ Allaah Himself said that we must follow those who are in authority. We have scholars to explain the deen to us, if we misunderstand something, then they are knowledgable enough to explain to us, give rulings etc. Most importantly, they are qualified to do so.

Scholars don't speak from their desires, they try their best and anything which they state must have back-up proof from qur'aan and sunnah, hence we don't follow blindly. So when a scholar says "Everyone is born Muslim", they didn't make it up, they are just stating what the Prophet :saw2: said: "Each child is born in a state of fitrah, but his parents make him a Jew or a Christian." (Bukhari and Muslim). So if you don't understand this hadith, you don't rely on your own interpretation of it, you go and ask a scholar, who has knowledge of it and he will explain it to you.

Islam is not like Chritianity, or Judaism or any other religion out there. In Islam there is no room for 'my personal opinion' or 'this is how I feel' regarding certain issues. The whole point of being a Muslim is that we must submit to what Allaah and Muhammad :saw2: told us. And scholars preach to us what is in the qur'aan and sunnah. If everyone and anyone were doing things according to their understanding, then our religion would of been no different to the others.

A'isha (may Allaah be pleased with her) was the first female scholar. After the Prophets :saw2: death, both female and male companions went to her to seek knowledge from her, they didn't leave things to decide for themselves, according to their minds or desires, or what suited them. They wanted the truth and these were the companions of the prophet :saw2: . Same with 'Abdullaah ibn 'abbas and ibn Mas'ood. They had exceptional knowledge and they had many students learning from them. Study their lives, and then you will start appreciating scholars.

If we didn't have scholars, how would we understand the qur'aan properly? We can't just rely on translation because there may be certain surahs that we don't understand. I'll give you an example, say Surah Al Feel, when you read this surah, you may not understand fully what it is about. But when you read the tafseer (explanation), then it explains the story behind this surah. And who compiled tafseers? Scholars of course. Without their works, we would be so confused.

I think we ought to be be grateful. Remember, one of the signs of judgement day is that the knowledgable scholars are going to die away and ignorance will be widespread. SubhanAllaah, we are SO fortuante to have scholars at our time, preaching authentic knowledge and who don't follow their desires. These scholars, fear Allaah and would never give rulings to suit them. I hope that makes sense now.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In all aspects of our lives we turn to someone who knows a little more. When we encounter difficulities we turn to family. Sometimes we need a little more guidance. We can read the Quran. Sometimes we need to ask one with piety and knowledge to help us see the bigger picture. Under the blessings of Allah subhana talla we are given insight and can act in a halal manner. Our actions being pleasing to Allah subhana tall and so forth.
When our brothers and sisters post fatawas they are not being judgemental..they are simply providing proof. Now common sense comes into being. It is our choice to act in any given manner.