Hijab

vegangoth

Banned
I have been watching a few of the videos regarding Muslim convertion. It seems to take the western woman a bit longer to decide to wear the headscarf. My undertsanding of the Koran is practically nill ( at the moment, I will buy a copy soon) but I undertsand that Mulsims are directed to dresss modestly and ( if i undertsand correctly) the hijab is not an absolute must wear. But many converts seem to wear it as an outward sign of their faith. But from what I can see this only draws attention to the woman so does that not cause a problem with the whole modesty thing?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
The attention the women may recieve is not the attention of lust, but an attention of curiousity of why the women is wearing it. It is like the nun of the church basically :)

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
I have been watching a few of the videos regarding Muslim convertion. It seems to take the western woman a bit longer to decide to wear the headscarf. My undertsanding of the Koran is practically nill ( at the moment, I will buy a copy soon) but I undertsand that Mulsims are directed to dresss modestly and ( if i undertsand correctly) the hijab is not an absolute must wear. But many converts seem to wear it as an outward sign of their faith. But from what I can see this only draws attention to the woman so does that not cause a problem with the whole modesty thing?

Greetings.

In Islam, there are parts of human body to be covered when they go in Public or when they are infront of people who are non-mahram (people to whom marriage is permissible). These parts are called 'Awrah. For women, it is their whole body and it is okey if one does not cover her face and hands. One can choose any one from this (i;e to cover whole body or to cover whole body except face and hands). It is Wajib (Compulsory) for each and every Muslimah (females among Muslims) and there are proofs I can provide if you need for them.

When a Muslimah wears Hijab in US or in another European country where there are less Muslims in most of the areas, yes they may get attention when they go outside. But what happens then? I am sure they will not be able to see what they wanted to see by raising their gaze. They will see only modesty and peace. This is how Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala) (God)protects women from strange men who intentionally looks and makes their hearts happy. It is proved in almost everywhere in the world that this leads to the bad ends most of the times and women are finally those who will bear the great sadness. (I am sure you will know what I meant my sister in humanity).

You seems a good intended person and surely my other brothers and sisters will also help you inshaAllah.

vegangoth

Banned
The attention the women may recieve is not the attention of lust, but an attention of curiousity of why the women is wearing it. It is like the nun of the church basically :)

yes that makes a great deal of sense. Especilly in the western parts of the world. Thanks.

vegangoth

Banned
Ibnadam77, Are you saying that it IS compulsery for a Muslim Woman to over their head when going out in public, even in a non muslim country?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Ibnadam77, Are you saying that it IS compulsery for a Muslim Woman to over their head when going out in public, even in a non muslim country?

yes, scholars agree that its compulsory. it doesnt matter that the nation is muslim or non-muslim.

but i know it takes lots of faith and courage to wear hijab in western countries.

may Allah help us all

vegangoth

Banned
yes, scholars agree that its compulsory. it doesnt matter that the nation is muslim or non-muslim.

but i know it takes lots of faith and courage to wear hijab in western countries.

may Allah help us all

Brilliant, thank you for that. Would be able to point out a Surah that says it's compulsery? or indeed even a single line which mentions it.

Many thanks

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Brilliant, thank you for that. Would be able to point out a Surah that says it's compulsery? or indeed even a single line which mentions it.

Many thanks

:salam2:,

well ur thankyou seems to be little sarcastic in nature.:)

in Quran, not everything is explained in detail, we have to refer to sunnah as well.

one hadith: The hadith of Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) when Asmaa (Radhiallaahu Ánha) the daughter of Abu Bakr came to the Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands.

PS: many scholars say that covering face is also required.

vegangoth

Banned
:salam2:,

well ur thankyou seems to be little sarcastic in nature.:)

in Quran, not everything is explained in detail, we have to refer to sunnah as well.

one hadith: The hadith of Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) when Asmaa (Radhiallaahu Ánha) the daughter of Abu Bakr came to the Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands.

PS: many scholars say that covering face is also required.

What was sarcastic in saying "Many thanks"?

Ashima33

Hello,

I started wearing Hijab about a month ago and before I started the question you've asked was the one that kept me from wearing it for a bit. But it was explained to me on here that wearing hijab is further fulfilling my religion and anyways... in America... people will look at you and judge you no matter what you look like... "oh she's so skinny... oh she's fat... oh, she's really pretty... oh she's got acne...." Attention is drawn to women just because they are women. Yes, wearing hijab attracts a different kind of attention... but atleast if people look at me... they can't see what they aren't supposed to... and it can lead to them asking me about Islam. Or, sometimes I think, "I could be the only muslim this person encounters." So, that makes me strive to be a good representative.

I hope this helps. =)

vegangoth

Banned
Hello,

I started wearing Hijab about a month ago and before I started the question you've asked was the one that kept me from wearing it for a bit. But it was explained to me on here that wearing hijab is further fulfilling my religion and anyways... in America... people will look at you and judge you no matter what you look like... "oh she's so skinny... oh she's fat... oh, she's really pretty... oh she's got acne...." Attention is drawn to women just because they are women. Yes, wearing hijab attracts a different kind of attention... but atleast if people look at me... they can't see what they aren't supposed to... and it can lead to them asking me about Islam. Or, sometimes I think, "I could be the only muslim this person encounters." So, that makes me strive to be a good representative.

I hope this helps. =)

that is brilliant and the best explenation I've heard yet. Thank you so much for that. In Scotland people judge in the exact way as the Americans seem too. I'm guilty of that myself sometimes. I'm sure we all are. I really like it when I see a Muslim woman wearing the hijab being a representative of your religon is a great thing. However I do still get uncomfertable when I see women wearing a Burkha. Mind you when it's coming down with rain and the wind is gale force I can see the attracttion lol

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

:salam2:

Yes,the hijab is obligation for us Muslimah and Alahdmulillah it is our greatest gift,blessing and protection and we are wearing it happly and for the Allahs sake.Praise be to Allah Almighty.
Hijab inludes covering head with headsacrf and covering the whole body with long,lose and modest cloth.Our hijab is shower of our purity,it is our sheal and protection.Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s said that when girl reach her maturity nothing can not be seen except her face and hands.

The Hijab is an act of obedience to Allah SW(4) and to His
Messenger Muhammad (SAAW(5)). He (SW) says:
وَمَا آَانَ لِمُؤْمِنٍ وَلَا مُؤْمِنَةٍ إِذَا قَضَى اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ 
أَمْرًا أَنْ يَكُونَ لَهُمُ الْخِيَرَةُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِمْ وَمَنْ يَعْصِ اللَّهَ
[ الأحزاب، ٣٦ ]  وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ ضَلَالًا مُبِينًا

"It is not for a believer, man or woman,
when Allah and His Messenger have
decreed a matter that they should have
an option in their decision. And
whoever disobeys Allah and His
Messenger, has indeed strayed in a
plain error." (Qur'an 33:36

Indeed,, Allah ordered that women must put on the Hijab(6).
He (SW) says:
وَقُلْ لِلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ 
فُرُوجَهُنَّ وَلَا يُبْدِينَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلَّا مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ
[ النور، ٣١ ]  بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَى جُيُوبِهِنَّ
"And tell the believing women to lower
their gaze (from looking at forbidden
things) and protect their private parts
(from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not
to show off their adornment except
what must (ordinarily) appear thereof,
that they should draw their veils over
their Juyubihinna(7)." (Qur'an 24:31).
Allah considered the dazzling display of beauty an act of ignorance:
[ الأحزاب، ٣٣ ]  وَقَرْنَ فِي بُيُوتِكُنَّ وَلَا تَبَرَّجْنَ تَبَرُّجَ الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ الْأُولَى 
"And stay in your houses and do not
display yourselves like that of the times
of Jahiliyeeyah(8) (ignorance). " (Qur'an 33:33)
He, Most Glorified, says:
وَإِذَا سَأَلْتُمُوهُنَّ مَتَاعًا فَاسْأَلُوهُنَّ مِنْ وَرَاءِ حِجَابٍ 
[ الأحزاب، ٥٣ ]  ذَلِكُمْ أَطْهَرُ لِقُلُوبِكُمْ وَقُلُوبِهِ ن
"And when you ask the Prophet's wives
for anything you want, ask them from
behind a screen." (Qur'an 33:53)
The above Ayah (verse) does not apply only to the Prophet's
wives but to all of the believing women. Carefully read the
following saying of Allah (SW):
يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُلْ لِأَزْوَاجِكَ وَبَنَاتِكَ وَنِسَاءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ 
[ الأحزاب، ٥٩ ]  يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِنْ جَلَابِيبِهِنَّ ذَلِكَ أَدْنَى أَنْ يُعْرَفْنَ فَلَا يُؤْذَيْنَ
"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your
daughters and the women of the
believers to draw their cloaks (veils)
over their bodies (when outdoors). That
is most convenient that they should be
known and not molested."(9) (Qur'an 33:59)

The Hijab makes for greater purity for the hearts of believing
men and women because it screens against the desire of the
heart. Without the Hijab, the heart may or may not desire.
That is why the heart is more pure when the sight is blocked
(by Hijab) and thus the prevention of fitna (evil actions) is
very much manifested.

The Hijab is something
beloved by Allaah because it is a shield against the spread of evil
manifested in the display of beauty to strangers.

The Prophet (SAAW) said:
"إنَّ لِكُلَّ دين خُلُقاً، وخُلُقُ الإسلام الحياء"
"Each religion has a morality and the morality of Islam is
haya' (bashfulness)."(17)

I hope Inshallah this anwers your question.

:wasalam:

IslamicGirl24

Greetings!

Basically the order of hijab for women has been given in the following verse (As sister Asja pointed out):

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your
daughters and the women of the
believers to draw their cloaks (veils)
over their bodies (when outdoors). That
is most convenient that they should be
known(as muslim women) and not molested."(9) (Qur'an 33:59)

This verse is also referred to as the "hijab verse".
Hope it helps for you to understand...:hearts:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
What was sarcastic in saying "Many thanks"?

i was talking about the first 'thank you'. but in the end it was just a joke. dont mind pls:)

However I do still get uncomfertable when I see women wearing a Burkha. Mind you when it's coming down with rain and the wind is gale force I can see the attracttion lol

i think its cultural....in india/saudi arabia, we find sisters in burqa but we dont feel uncomfortable.

personally, i think 'burqa' is a beautiful thing as no evil thought pass your mind about these muslimahs.

the british keep asking me this question again and again. they say there is no mention of the hijab in the Quran and/or show me a single verse.

i tell them read Surah Al-Ahzaab. chapter 33. the commandment is given in there. the word used in jilbab; hijab, abaya, naqab etc are all variants of this.

*Jasmine*

Many thanks

here is a surah thats if you going to undersatnd and by the way we as a muslim women are very proud of wearing hijab
"[31] And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) And protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigor, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful."

BinKhadija

An Akhu
i think its cultural....in india/saudi arabia, we find sisters in burqa but we dont feel uncomfortable.

personally, i think 'burqa' is a beautiful thing as no evil thought pass your mind about these muslimahs.
Very true. I agree with your views, brother.
May Allah reward all those brave and possessing stronger Iman Muslim sisters who opt to observe highest level of veiling - the niqab (face veil). Ameen.

Of course not to be forgotten, may Allah give us all Muslim brothers Taufiqe and guidance to observe our respective Hijab which is prescribed by The Creator in Surah Noor, Ch 24, Verse 30 - lowering our gaze to the maximum extent, in order to please Allah SWT. Amin ya Rabbil 'alameen!

vegangoth

Banned
i was talking about the first 'thank you'. but in the end it was just a joke. dont mind pls:)

Thanks for the explenation about the "thanks" lol I really didn't want to offend.

Yes I agree it probebly is a culture thing. I think when we start to see more women wearing them ( and it is happening) it wont seem to bizzare.

vegangoth

Banned
the british keep asking me this question again and again. they say there is no mention of the hijab in the Quran and/or show me a single verse.

i tell them read Surah Al-Ahzaab. chapter 33. the commandment is given in there. the word used in jilbab; hijab, abaya, naqab etc are all variants of this.

We British are weird lol