I'm mistakenly fasting in friday,needs help!!

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
:salam2:
dear brothers and sisters, i alws fast in monday and fridays only,
but today I am fasting, yesterday was thirsday and i did not fast.actually i am a very busy student and i remember dates by my classes, the thing is my topo class and patho class got an exchange,so today i have topo, i 4got that and am fasting actually on friday.
As there is no mosque near anyplace,i did not hear any athan,anything, after doing asru prayer only i realiized today is friday.

now there is only 2hrs left for magrib,as fasting in only fridays are makrooh,and i will be unable to fast tomorrow since I have to go to city from omrning to evening,i will be in a travelling state. SHOULD I CONTINUE MY FAST OR KEEP IT??
PLS URGENT REPLIES, THERE IS ONLY 2 HRS LEFT TILL MAGRIB.

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Please could you tell me whether it is allowed for us to perform voluntary fasts on Fridays?

Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven in al-Saheehayn in the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said: “I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘None of you should fast on a Friday unless he fasts the day before or the day after.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1849, Muslim, 1929). Muslim narrated in his Saheeh that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Do not single out the night of Jumu’ah [i.e., Thursday night] from among other nights for praying qiyaam al-layl, and do not single out Friday from among other days for fasting, unless it is a fast that one of you regularly observes.” (al-Siyaam, 1930)

In al-Saheeh it was narrated from Juwayriyah bint al-Haarith (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon her on a Friday when she was fasting. He asked her, “Did you fast yesterday?” She said, “No.” He asked, “Are you going to fast tomorrow?” She said, “No.” He said, “Then break your fast.” Hammaad ibn al-Ja’d said, “I heard Qutaadah say, Abu Ayyoob told me that Juwayriyah spoke to him and he told her to stop her fast and she did so.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Sawm, 1850).

Ibn Qudaamah said: “It is makrooh to single out the day of Friday for fasting, unless that coincides with a fast which one usually observes, such as a person who fasts alternate days, and a day that he fasts coincides with Friday, or a person who has the habit of fasting on the first or last day of the month, or the middle day of the month.” (al-Mughni, vol. 3, p. 53)

Al-Nawawi said: “Our companions (i.e. the Shaafa’is) said: it is makrooh to single out the day of Friday for fasting, but if one joins it with the day before or the day after, or it coincides with a day which he habitually fasts, or he vowed to fast the day that his sick loved one was cured, or the day So and so returns, and that day happens to be a Friday, then it is not makrooh (al-Majmoo’ Sharh al-Muhadhdhab, vol. 6, p. 479)

Shaykh al-Islam (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Sunnah says that it is makrooh to single out Rajab for fasting, and it is makrooh to single out Friday (for fasting).” (al-Fataawa al-Kubra, vol. 6, p. 180)

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: “As for Friday, it is not Sunnah to fast on this day, and it is makrooh to single it out for fasting.” (See al-Sharh al-Mumti’, vol. 6, p. 465)

Excluded from this prohibition is one who fasts the day before or after, or if it coincides with days that he habitually fasts, such as one who fasts al-Ayyaam al-Beed (the 13th, 14th and 15th of each hijri month), or who has the habit of fasting a specific day such as the Day of ‘Arafat, and it coincides with a Friday. From this it may be understood that it is permissible for a person who has vowed to fast on the day when So and so returns, for example, or the day when So and so recovers from sickness, to observe that fast if that day happens to be a Friday. (See Fath al-Baari by Ibn Hajar).

The same applies to one who has fasts to make up from Ramadaan. “It is permissible for a Muslim to fast on a Friday to make up a day from Ramadaan, even if he fasts the Friday on its own.” (Fatwa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, vol. 10, p. 347)

Similarly, if ‘Ashoora’ or Arafaat coincides with a Friday, he may fast, because his intention is to fast ‘Ashoora’ or ‘Arafaat, not to fast on a Friday. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
than you so much . i also know it is makrooha to fast only in fridays without fasting day before or after. I just wanted to knew if a person is already fasting, fasting being a worship, the best way was to break it or not.
thankyou this one gave me what i was looking for,so I'm breaking my fast. asthe prophet told to BREAK the fast to juwariah.
may allah reward you with janntha al firdaus bintshafi.:hearts:

BinteShafi

Left long ago

You are very welcome my dear sister. Jazaki Allahu Khayra for such a beautiful du'a. may Allah give you peace and happiness in this world and in the hereafter.

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Surprised why they didn't mention this in the exclusions but...

If one was habitually fasting *Sawm Dawood* (The Fasting of David) which is every other day..and a fasting day coincided on a Friday..the person can still fast..because it is from the pattern of the fast so it's unavoidable...

Just thought I'd mention it..in case anybody with a question on the matter swings by :)

:wasalam:

daywalker

:salam2: Allah knows your intention, dont worry inshallah, and keep continue your fast cause you thought it was thursday and not friday. the situation stated in fatwa isn´t same like yours and also not the reason..

Prosperous

asthagfirullah
:salam2: Allah knows your intention, dont worry inshallah, and keep continue your fast cause you thought it was thursday and not friday. the situation stated in fatwa isn´t same like yours and also not the reason..

:salam2: brother, too late, i broke my fast just after writing the las post, it was only 30 minutes before magrib. i made the conclusion from the prophet(saw)'s saying to break the fast to a person already fasting in a friday,same as my condition.
and thankyou a-musliamh for mentioning about fasting everyother days hukum.Though I am not yet that strong in worship to fast everyother day,but insha allah hoping to do so when i can.:blackhijab:

daywalker

:salam2: brother, too late, i broke my fast just after writing the las post, it was only 30 minutes before magrib. i made the conclusion from the prophet(saw)'s saying to break the fast to a person already fasting in a friday,same as my condition.
:salam2: what i have understood from your post is, you weren´t aware that today is firday untill you prayed asr salah. you knew that we shouldn´t pick only friday. but in sahaba(rd) case , he just picked only friday, thats why prophet(sw) told him to break the sawm. so your and sahaba(rd) condtion wasn´t same. anyway, may Allah give you tawfiq inshallah to keep more fast and remember us in your dua inshallah.