Is it halal to sell incense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arzafar

Some people use them for haram means like a drug or for worship in temples. Do we have to investigate the use of the products we sell or just let it go?

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

Someone once game me an example, this is not hadith nor a fatwa, etc. If you sell a kitchen knife and if someone buys it from you and uses it to kill innocent people, are you liable for it? A kitchen knife can have both uses.

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

When I went for first time to Egypt my sister asked me to bring a couple of incense sticks. She meant just to use them for a good fragrance in the room.

But But in my city these incense sticks are used at Dargahs and Shrines as a act of worship. Even these sticks are used to attach to the photographs of ''LIVING MUSLIM SAINTS".

Regards.

alf2

Islam is a way of life

Someone once game me an example, this is not hadith nor a fatwa, etc. If you sell a kitchen knife and if someone buys it from you and uses it to kill innocent people, are you liable for it? A kitchen knife can have both uses.

I totally agree. What people do with a good product is their sin, and not our problem to intervene.

salahdin

1. Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for." Sahih Bukhari

arzafar

but kitchen knifes are primarily used in the kitchen. On the other hand an AK-47 is used for different purpose. So what is the definitive answer then?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Some people use them for haram means like a drug or for worship in temples. Do we have to investigate the use of the products we sell or just let it go?

What is the name of the incense in question and who exactly uses it for their pagan rituals ?

InshaAllah if you provide me the information, I can pose it to a person on knowledge and inform you of his response.

arzafar

there are many names and many types available. Different types are popular amongst different groups of people.

A lot of japanese/buddist use it
a lot of hindus use it
a lot of brelvi muslim use it
a lot of people use power incense as a drug

However, apart for them there are many people who just use it for the good smell.

sachin4islam

What is the name of the incense in question and who exactly uses it for their pagan rituals ?

InshaAllah if you provide me the information, I can pose it to a person on knowledge and inform you of his response.

Assalam Alaikum: Br.

I think the object being discussed here is '' incense stick '' = Agarbatti in Hindi.
or thing similar to it as Loban.

Regards.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

I am confused.

Let us not become the incense patrol. I do believe we have better things to do than worry about incense.

Throughout the centuries people have used incense.

Seriously, brothers do you not have anything better to concerns yourselves?

sachin4islam

Asalaam walaikum,

I am confused.

Let us not become the incense patrol. I do believe we have better things to do than worry about incense.

Throughout the centuries people have used incense.

Seriously, brothers do you not have anything better to concerns yourselves?

Assalam Alaikum:

I am participant in this discussion cause incense is an integral part of Innovated Islam in my country. It is Imp tool for worship in Dargahs and Shrines. If any Br or Sis from Sub-Continent happens to visit this thread and if it reminds him/her about this false practice, the purpose of the thread will be solved.

Regards.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

People burn incense to get rid of bad odors. So when they pray they are not breathing in funk. I constantly lit incense before and after prayers at the masjid. It got rid of funk and nothing more!!!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Incense doesn't have any place at all in Islam. But I understand the need to have this thread - I think my entire family and all relatives are Barelvi Muslim, they like to burn incense on special days, and say that it brings the angels to the house. Astaghfirullah. <frown>

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

This question was posed to Shaykh Hafeez ur Rehman Hafizahullah on the internet. He replied that if the person selling the incense knows that the (buyer) person or a group of people are going to use it for bidah or shirk, then he should not assist them in disobeying Allah azz zawajal ie he should not sell.

However, if he doesn't know what a person is using it for (or doesnt know if they are using for shirk or bidah) than there is no harm in selling them InshaAllah.

And Allah knows best..

Please ask for any further clarifications if there are any.. JazakAllahu Khayran

ShyHijabi

Assalaam walaikum,

People burn incense to get rid of bad odors. So when they pray they are not breathing in funk. I constantly lit incense before and after prayers at the masjid. It got rid of funk and nothing more!!!

I just sprayed water all over my monitor laughing.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Please permit me to ask a question. Aroma therapy is beneficial to many people. People have in all cultures through the ages used the benefits of incense for medicinal purposes. Millions of people throughout the world have knowledge of what spice assists in healing.

When we pray we do not wish to pray in an area that has any foul smells. Incense cleanses the air..after all we do not wish to offend the Angels of Allah.

So why all the fuss. It is a natural procedure to have a fresh scent when we congregate to pray.... ( think of prayer during Ramadan )

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

There is no problem in burning 'oudh in Masjid it was practised by the Sahaaba Radhiallaahu Anhum also.

arzafar

ok jazakallah khair broinislam and everyone else. That is what is was thinking, just wanted to confirm it.

sister aapa. if you read my whole post you will see that there is halal usage of incense too. There is nothing wrong with using incense in general but many people use it for worshiping other than or alongside Allah. However, the haram usage is greater in frequency than the halal usage which is why it is better not to sell it, particularly when there exists a risk of it being used for shirk and wrong practices.

now please avoid quoting some totally irrelevant text to explain how (1) poprhet (saw) liked good smell (2) incense creates good smell (3) Therefore, selling incense halal. Simply put, 3 does NOT follow from 1 and 2.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You have me laughing brother. I did not come up with the syllogism. That is your faulty logic.

Besides with incense a woman always has flowers in her home. Here is one for you: Do you think a wife would ever be caught with a funky smelling house to welcome her husband

So go thank the incense man. He has made your life better. Buy his incense so he can feed his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.