Jews find Peace in Islam

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
For many people, the word 'Islam' conjures up images of violence, suicide bombings and holy war. But not for Maryam Kabeer Faye, a Jewish-born American. She believes the religion she adopted after a long spiritual journey represents peace, love and mercy.

Kabeer Faye describes her transformative experience, from her Jewish roots to Sufi Islam, in her recent book, "Journey through Ten Thousand Veils:the Alchemy of Transformation on the Sufi Path."

Search for answers

As far back as she can remember, Maryam Kabeer Faye yearned for spiritual fulfillment.

She was born in 1946 to a liberal Jewish family in Hollywood, California. While her parents were kind and loving, they were not religious, which left Kabeer Faye with a spiritual void.

At the age of 12, she was given a painted scroll of an ancient man with the words, "Seek and the truth shall make you free." That message resonated with her as she grew up in the tumultuous political climate of the 1960s.

At 16, she enrolled at the University of California, Berkeley, then a hotbed of social and political activism. While there, she studied the teachings of the Koran, the scriptures of Advaita Vedanta - a form of Hindu philosophy - and the poetry of 13th century philosopher Jelaluddin Rumi.

Spiritual quest

She left Berkeley after just two years, to begin a spiritual quest to find what she calls her "truth."

"It was not any particular religion that I was seeking or that I knew about," says Kabeer Faye. "I was seeking that liberating truth, wherever the call was coming from."

The call led her to places far beyond America's shores, including Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. It was on a bus trip through an Afghan desert that she first encountered the faith that would come to define her spiritualism.

"The bus went into the middle of the desert and at a certain moment the call to prayer came just lilting through the desert - first time I've ever heard it - and then the bus stopped and all of those colorful people got off the bus," she remembers. "Everyone had their prayer mats and they laid them out in the desert and prayed. [It was the] first time that I saw people praying in that way. And it was so pure and beautiful and truly inviting."

Kabeer Faye had witnessed what all devout, practicing Muslims do five times a day. They set aside other activities, face in the direction of the Muslim holy city of Mecca, and kneel down in worship.

The experience was a call that she eventually answered.

Finding her religion

"Countless, countless moments of awakening led me ultimately to the path of Islam, and within that, to the practice of Sufism, or Tasawuf, which for me is intricately united with Islam," explains Kabeer Faye.

Sufism arose as an organized movement after the death of Muhammad, the central prophet of the Islamic faith. Many consider it a mystical form of Islam.

Maryam Kabeer Faye describes her conversion to Sufi Islam in her book, "Journey through Ten Thousand Veils:the Alchemy of Transformation on the Sufi Path."

"It's kind of the interior illumination of the practices of Islam, which bring out the best in it. That is the love, the mercy, the kindness, wisdom, light," says Kabeer Faye. "And so that was the destiny that was marked for me, that was decreed for me."

She studied and travelled with Sufi masters in Israel, Sri Lanka, Senegal and Gambia, as well as closer to home in Pennsylvania and South Carolina, in order to deepen her understanding of this particular form of Islam.

"The experience I've had [is] not with the abstract study of Sufism in books - because we can always read about Sufism in the 12th century - but in my case, my destiny was to be guided from one Sufi master to the next, until my present teacher, who is Sheikh Harun Rashid Faye from Senegal, West Africa."

It is from this teacher that Maryam Kabeer took her last name.

Kabeer Faye acknowledges that while many believe Islam is a violent religion, the Islam she knows and embraces is a religion of mercy and compassion.

"I can't count the numbers of people I met who were the most generous, kind, and giving, loving, caring people," she says. "That is, caring for the orphan, caring for the disadvantaged, caring for women, caring for me. How did I become a Muslim? It's by that love. How would I transmit it to anyone else? Through that love."

Those who espouse violence in the name of Islam, says Kabeer Faye, have distorted the true faith.

"I learned by studying, that suicide is forbidden in Islam, and killing of innocents is forbidden in Islam, and even cutting down trees in a defensive battle is forbidden. So life is supported by Islam. Therefore oppression and aggression are forbidden, whereas mercy, tolerance, kindness and charity are commanded."

Born Jewish but now a Sufi Muslim, Maryam Kabeer Faye lives in Philadelphia with her grown son, Issa.

In addition to attending conferences and workshops, Kabeer Faye teaches Arabic and Islamic studies to women and girls in the U.S. and in Gambia, as well.

And, once a week, she visits a prison where she speaks to inmates about the transformative powers of her Sufi faith.

Now that her first journey of spiritual learning is complete, she has embarked on a second journey as an author and teacher to share the knowledge she's acquired during a lifetime of experiences with Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Mashaa'Allah Alhamdulillah
Allahu Akbar...
Allah guides, whome He wants......

May ALlah SWT guide us all and protect us
Jazakallahu Khair wa barakallahu feeke
wassalamu alaikum

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
jewish to sufi muslim.

from the fire into the frying pan comes to mind.

:astag:
Atleaset I din't expect it here,
Oh My Lord!!!!
You won't believe that I came across such type of statement in another forum but that was from a "Ahle Sunnah" Guy...
He Said " Though so many people in US/Europe are embracing Islam but that won't fetch anything to them, B'cos they are coming from darkness but eventually falling into the more darker pit of Wahabism/Salafism.
It won't make anysense to me. Who we are to decide the fate of men/women, how we can say he/she will be among the people of Hell or Heaven?
Let Allah decides it.
We shouldn't comment. This is "NOT OUR JOB" .

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
. This is "NOT OUR JOB" .

Assalamu alaikum sister!

This is one of the many problems we muslims have. Why do we decide the fate of another muslim while it is Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala who has the right to do so. And HE has assigned a specific day for that, the day of judgement.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala give us accepting heart.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
You said it, brother! Jazaaka Allaahu Khayran. Many Muslims appoint themselves custodians of the religion and judge and jury, when this job is God's alone. What did God say about all people believing identically? He says,
"Had God willed, He would have made you one nation, but [He wanted] to test you in what He has given you; so race to [all that is] good. To God is your return all together, and He will [then] inform you concerning that over which you used to differ." (5:48)

We can argue with each other in the most beautiful manner, but we cannot forecast the destiny of anybody.

Jazak-Allahu Khairan dear brother,
You got the best words to explain what I was feeling and what I was trying to say on this.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
jewish to sufi muslim.

Lol.. That's funny akhi. Good one

:astag:
Atleaset I din't expect it here,
Oh My Lord!!!!
You won't believe that I came across such type of statement in another forum but that was from a "Ahle Sunnah" Guy...
He Said " Though so many people in US/Europe are embracing Islam but that won't fetch anything to them, B'cos they are coming from darkness but eventually falling into the more darker pit of Wahabism/Salafism.
It won't make anysense to me. Who we are to decide the fate of men/women, how we can say he/she will be among the people of Hell or Heaven?
Let Allah decides it.
We shouldn't comment. This is "NOT OUR JOB" .

He is not making takfeer. There is nothing wrong in mocking the one who innovates in religion and who has deviated.

arzafar

waaaait a min

i didnt say anything regarding the lady or her destiny. I sincerely hope that she does the five pillars so that her islaam is complete and has the correct aqeedah for her imaan to be complete (doubtful because she is sufi).

i just compared going from Judaism to Sufism to going from fire (more evil) to the frying pan (less evil but not by much). I know Judaism from quran and Sufism from my friend who does these sort of things. i have asked him for a hadith where sufism is allowed (he is still searching).

I hope that clears up the metaphors i used.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam alaikum warahmatullah

I think brother,let us not please argue with anyone.
I think there is a mistake in the report.sometimes things not are same what is written,we have to find out the meaning from the context.not the word to wordtransalation,but the conceptual and centextual,inshaa'Allah

Sufi doesnt means Sufism,always.....in my country and most of the countries...we use to say ...."he is like sufi-darbesh(strong muslim...indicted meaning)"....I think,by this report, they tried to let us know that, from Jew to strong muslim...i think the translation/report is being mis-understood.
if it were Sufism,that report would not come to this forum ofcourse.....and Allah knows the best

Inshaa'Allah may Allah SWT give us more taqwa...and bless/guide/protect us.
Jazakallahu Khair
wassalam

islamfollower

Brotherinislam7

who are you to say they have deviated from the religion, maybe they have but as my fellow muslims posted above we can not judge anyone who says that " There is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is the last messanger".

Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) said: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "When a person calls his brother (in Islam) a disbeliever, one of them will certainly deserve the title. If the addressee is so as he has asserted, the disbelief of the man is confirmed, but if it is untrue, then it will revert to him.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Dharr (May Allah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying, "If somebody accuses another of disbelief or calls him the enemy of Allah, such an accusation will revert to him (the accuser) if the accused is innocent.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

All Im saying.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Brotherinislam7

who are you to say they have deviated from the religion, maybe they have but as my fellow muslims posted above we can not judge anyone who says that " There is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is the last messanger".

:salam2:

There are two groups of people who hold the belief that sufi haven't deviated.

(1) People who aren't informed about the believes they hold in Aqeedah (creed) and in their deceptive ways throughout history to misrepresent Tawheed. Not to mention their other heinous crimes of introducing false hadeeths, slandering noble companions of the Prophet (PBUH).

(2) People who have a soft spot for them, because their sect/group/hizb has elements of sufism and they can't tolerate someone pointing it out that the basis of their methodology is corrupt.

One of the sheykhs in Indian Subcontinent mentioned in a lecture mentioned that there is no bigger calamity suffered by Islam in India, than from Soofee-ism. And I agree with him cent percent.

Their errors are open for anyone to investigate and view (there are enough resources). I haven't made takfeer on them (or on anyone else), nor am I interested in indulging myself in it.

There are numerous scholars who have written books against them and have debated with them, exposing their lies and deceptions. So before you blame me for it, why dont you blame all those scholars for 'judging' ?

May Allah azz zawajal give us hidayah and sabr. Ameen

hana*

jewish to sufi muslim.

im sorry but what is wrong with people nowadays? why have we become a nation of judgemental Muslims and rolling out the PC police? that statement above could be highly offensive to many folk. How do you know what stance she has in the eyes of Allah? Perhaps Allah loves her more than the rest of us on this forum.

Do we look to see what people's Akhlaq/character is like? or do we just quickly jump to conclusions because she is a sufi? Perhaps she follows the way of the Prophet peace be upon him more that you and I. It is highly sad that we are becoming judgemental, we are our own worst enemies.

(please note, I am not supporting sufisim and Im from ahl al-sunnah alhamdulilah, but I am merely stating we should be more merciful to others and not jump to conclusions).

wasalam

islamfollower

I really don't want to this to turn into he's a kaffir and iam not debate. I am not god and will leave the judgement to the judge himself.

Moderatemuslim???????

Brotherinislam i really don't know what your point is, i gave you the hadith and it's best if you leave the judging to the judge, am i wrong? don't think so.

weakslave

InshaAllaah she will be guided to true Islam once she learns of it. If she found truth in sufism, if she experiences true Islam she will surely change if Allaah wills.

My advice to those giving advice: if you want others to understand your point of view, do it in a kind and gentle manner. Otherwise the advice is lost in the harsh tone and aggressive language.