Lost

mehitora

Hello. For now you can call me Mehi if that is ok with you.

First, I would like to say I have never met people as kind as I have seen around here on this forum. It is a very inspiring thing. When I read that the Muslims were peaceful kind people, I did not really believe it. No offense. I am American you see living in the southeastern part of the country where most are Bible thumping hypocrits. I hope y'all can be as kind to me as I have seen towards others. And patient. You will probably need tons of patience with me.

Second, a little information about me. I will try to not share too much, but I am a rambler who gets distracted very easily. Here we call that chasing rabbits. This is were the patience is going to come in handy.

Ok, so religious. I was born and the first six years of my life without religion. My dad was always working (he barely believes in God anyways) and my mom did not believe that there was a church near us that was right for her. She compared every church she visited to one she went to when she was a child. At seven, my female cousin (six), my sister (six), and my brother (five) started going to a church on our own. A group would come and pick us up. I don't remember much except the smell of the pews and the lake nearby. We did that for a year before we stop going again. We fell into a bit of darkness for awhile.

At nine, my brother and two different female cousins started walking up the road from where we live to visit another church. We went to this church until until I was fourteen or fifteen. During that time I had gained another sister and brother through adoption. They started going with us to church. My newest sister is only six months younger than I am. She is my best friend. One fateful night, after spending hours in the sun, the pastor of the church decided to lay hands on (pray for) the youth of the church. My three siblings, two female cousin, and I were all sunburned and he layed his hands right on top of the burns hard. He then told us each in turn we were hurting, in so much pain, and tht our families did not love us. I believe my brother almost hit the guy in the face. I took the hands of my little cousins and the six of us left. We never returned

At sixteen my brother and I started going to another church across town. We got in with the wrong crowd, go accused of something that we did not do (smoking in the church bathrooms), and was told to never come back. That was a year.

At eighteen, my mom finally got into church. She became Mormon. She now loves her church, but is too sick to go. Her health is very poor. My brother and I went with her, were baptized the same day as her, and loved the church for another year. I left after I researched the religion and found some little talked about doctrine in the religion that I do not agree with.

Finally, the last Christian church I have joined (and left) was a Pentecostal one. I was twenty-two. For six months I felt at home there. Eventually I realized that as a convert none of the guys was interested in me. And because I would not make a suitable match for any of the guys, the church elders did not work with me to keep me. To them I was going to leave anyways, whether by dropping the religion or marrying to another church, so why work with me. I only had two friends and I felt lonely, so very lonely.

Now, I am twenty-four and so very, very tired of the religious mess. I turned Pagan, said forget God, he seems to have forgotten me at least. But I feel more lost and lonely than ever before. I have been interested in religions since I was...too young to remember. Mom always told us to find our own way to believe, go to a church that was right to us. Every time I thought I found that, a rug was pulled out from under me and I would be falling into a pit of darkness again. I have always wanted to expierence every religion on Earth. Now I would be glad just to find one were I felt welcome and that did not push me away.

I am so sorry. I have wrote a book and it is all sad and depressing. Typical me. What I really want to say is that I am so very interested in learning about Islam. Where I am from there aren't many and one has to filter the lies from the truth. It's not easy to do when one does not know the truth. So very very very sorry. Have a good day and be blessed. *bows and leaves*

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, I am sorry your post did not appear straight away. Its weird. (Sometimes a member's first posts will appear but then the 3rd or 4th will not. In your case the 1st post did not appear).

Secondly, reading about your journey it appears you are longing to feel peace. I pray that Allah (God) helps you in that. You sound extremely sincere which will help (i.e., that longing to find peace).

Thirdly, you are very welcome here and everyone will treat you with great respect. If you have any questions regarding Islam then please post a new thread (if your not sure how then just ask).

Fourthly, a good place start in learning about Islam is with Allah (God), i.e., Who is Allah. The two thread's below are a nice start:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2432

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2668

This is the important aspect (i.e., we know who our God is so that our hearts are connected to Him when we worship Him, we fear Him in what we do, to simply put it, it is the core).

One more good thread is 'What is a Muslim' below:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2426

I hope these are helpful introductory articles are not 'heavy' reads. There are a couple of excellent thread's that look at Allah (the Almighty) in-depth which you could refer to later (for now though I hope the above is enough and that you settle in).

Finally, I hope you settle here and I'm sure everyone looks forward to your posts.

arzafar

:salam2: and welcome to the forums. This forum was made for people like you, who are in search for authentic information about Islam coming right from the texts of the religion. id recommend the following threads

intro
http://turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Fundamental beliefs
http://turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Muslim - christian dialogue
http://turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66

for new muslims
http://turntoislam.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Islamic revelations are into forms,
Quran - inerrant, verbatim word of God
hadith - practices, commands and recommendations of the prophet and last messenger of God, Muhammad (peace be upon him). There are several hadith compilations - the famous ones are Bukhari and Muslim.

You can find an english translation of Quran and some the most popular hadith compilations on the site below.
http://www.quranexplorer.com/

I think that should keep you busy for a while. may Allah bless you with guidance.

mehitora

I am very sincere. Very very sincere. I want to know so bad. I want to learn. I have a problem with that though. So many things in the way....

I do not believe that those threads will be heavy reads for me. My mom has always praised me saying that I have read at a college level since I was seven years old. That has gotten me in tons of trouble though. That's a story for another time.

Thank you so much to both of you for responding to me. It means a great deal to me.

xAllahKnowsBestx

You do sound really sincere, and that will help insha'Allah (God willing).

Anyways, welcome to TTI and I hope you find all the answers you're looking for in Islam! Don't hesitate to ask any questions, we have some really knowledgeable brothers and sisters here. :hijabi:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
The only reason I said 'heavy reads' is because some dislike reading lots of information online instead preferring a book.

Brother arzafar has posted links to a few good sections that contains good information and good advice (i.e. its good).

If you struggle to find answers to any questions you have or any questions that arise after reading some thread's, then do not hesitate in asking. Read and learn first, whatever problems there are, (Allah willing) it will be okay.

mehitora

I understand what you mean now by heavy reads. To tell the truth, I do prefer to read out of a book more so than online, but reading online is not heavy for me either. I do most of my research online so I am very used to sitting for hours and looking at small type. It is easy to get used to.

Also I went through tons of the information on this site before I even signed up, and now going through even more. It interests me so much. I am starting to formulate questions but before I even finish the thought, I read more and it answers the questions. I love that. I do feel that doing all this learning about Islam will end up being all of nothing though. In my situation (a pretty much stuck done deal), I would never be able to be Muslim or practice Islam (or however you say it. Fogive me for I am still ignorant). I can not see it as any way but impossible. But this makes no sense to you I'm sure becaue I have not explained. Oh, dear. How silly I am. I am terribly sorry.

uddim004

I understand what you mean now by heavy reads. To tell the truth, I do prefer to read out of a book more so than online, but reading online is not heavy for me either. I do most of my research online so I am very used to sitting for hours and looking at small type. It is easy to get used to.

Also I went through tons of the information on this site before I even signed up, and now going through even more. It interests me so much. I am starting to formulate questions but before I even finish the thought, I read more and it answers the questions. I love that. I do feel that doing all this learning about Islam will end up being all of nothing though. In my situation (a pretty much stuck done deal), I would never be able to be Muslim or practice Islam (or however you say it. Fogive me for I am still ignorant). I can not see it as any way but impossible. But this makes no sense to you I'm sure becaue I have not explained. Oh, dear. How silly I am. I am terribly sorry.

Welcome to TTI i hope you have a great and very educational time here-however long it may be, hopefully it is long. it is great that you are taking time to really learn about islam. there a many muslims on TTI who are very well educated and can help you a lot with any questions you have. if you are sincere (which i believe you are) you will gain lots of information and have any misconceptions about islam answered. hopefully after havng all you questions answered you wll come into the fold of islam if allah will. lastly i would just like to wish you a long and posperous life. take care, peace be upon you.

mehitora

hopefully after havng all you questions answered you wll come into the fold of islam if allah will.

That right there is one of my problems. I do not see how that could ever happen. I know if He (Allah or God...whichever it is) wills it, it shall happen. But is almost impossible in my life. Not without destroying everything I am and everything I have. I guess being cryptic doesn't help much, ne??

Perseveranze

That right there is one of my problems. I do not see how that could ever happen. I know if He (Allah or God...whichever it is) wills it, it shall happen. But is almost impossible in my life. Not without destroying everything I am and everything I have. I guess being cryptic doesn't help much, ne??

Peace Mehitora,

I'm not sure what you mean by cryptic, some kind of secret? You'd be very suprised to hear the type of people that have reverted to Islam, people who had "never thought they would revert", just like you say yourself. There's not a single person in the world who doesn't have a potential to become a Muslim.

"Allah is the protector of those who has faith; He will lead them out of the depths of darkness into light." [Quran 2:257]

"For every happening, there is a finality. And you shall come to know." [Quran 6:67]

Feel free to read this, it can be inspiring. http://www.box.net/shared/6e9h1oucu2

uddim004

you are still young and insallah you will have a lot of time to find out about islam. it may seem impossible to change but maybe a couple of years down the line (or however long it maybe) you might. even though islam demands devotion it doesn't mean that you have to completely change everything. i still play sports, go out with my friends (not just muslims). as long as it is not going against islam it is ok. i can't really relate fully as i was brought up muslim. whatever your decision you will have know that there will always be someone to help.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
I think I see what you are saying. There are many here who were non-Muslims before and became Muslim with many obstacles in their path. I am sure they probably felt the same way like you do. They are better to talk about the problems they faced and how they overcame them than I am.

Whether it is a spouse, children, father, mother, siblings who are potential obstacles (may oppose you practising your religion although they cannot stop you from affiriming the testification of faith because that is between you and Allah (God). It may appear impossible (feeling constricted from all corners) but I think many have felt the same way but thanks to Allah the one's close to them who vehemently opposed them from practising Islam ended up becoming Muslims themselves later down the line. I remember some Muslim (Brother or Sister, I can't remember) but they talked about the problems they were experiencing with their mother/fathers but later their hearts softened to Islam (thanks to Allah and then probably because of the example and change in character of their sons/daughters for the better).

I hope a Muslim who was gone through the above will post or I will see if I can find the post I seem to remember.

I am just assuming this might be the problem you are facing because I think it might be a common one. I hope this doesn't come across pushy (i.e., I don't expect you to divulge your reasons, it would probably be better if you wanted to that it was to a Muslim sister).

When you posted what you did, it reminded me of Umar ibn al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) who was one of the greatest Companions of the Prophet Muhammad :saw2: (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

I hope someone can post that beautiful narration (if others don't get chance I will try and post it). This is because if you imagine three types of people in regards to their mentality of someone becoming Muslim, a) does not mind is happy for them, b) dislikes it, tries to persuade the person and c) simply worse than (b). Then Umar ibn al-Khattab fell under (c) because he set out on that particular day with different intentions.

mehitora

Peace Mehitora,

I'm not sure what you mean by cryptic, some kind of secret? You'd be very suprised to hear the type of people that have reverted to Islam, people who had "never thought they would revert", just like you say yourself. There's not a single person in the world who doesn't have a potential to become a Muslim.

"Allah is the protector of those who has faith; He will lead them out of the depths of darkness into light." [Quran 2:257]

"For every happening, there is a finality. And you shall come to know." [Quran 6:67]

Thank you. What I mean by cryptic is not telling the whole story. In fact I wasn't telling much of a story at all. I can't see how I could ever revert as you call it because of things such as my family.

For example, both of my brothers and one sister are in the US military. My brothers have both already served a tour in Afghanistan. It is regrettable, but understandable to me, that they don't trust anything that comes from that area including the religion.

My father, who is a cornerstone in my life, very important to me....let's just say his views of Muslims is not kind.

My mom, very very important to me, is more open to accepting things...well, she has a better way of dealing with it and that is pretending it doesn't exist. You should have seen what she did when I went from Mormon (Christian) to Wicca (Pagan).

And then there is my fiancee who I love dearly, but in no way shape or form am I able to talk to him about any religion without it turning into a fight. Not even what I believe. I have been told more times than I can count by him that I am wrong and that's about my own beliefs, Needless to say, he is very much not open to ideas he is not used to. He is Christian and refuses to listen to anything that contradicts his thinking. I can't even study religions oppsosing Christianity.

I have to do all my learning and researching in secret. Although...when I presented the idea to my mom all she said was I would rather you not. That is a hopeful statement, especially coming from her.

My feelings on this is fear. Intense, paralyzing fear....of shunning, of abandonment, of losing everything and everyone close to me. I hate fear. Is so not a nice feeling....

mehitora

I don't know if double posting is allowed here. If not, I am so sorry, but I just had to reply to ditta.

You hit the nail on the head....really hard too. It is my family. Mom, dad, two sisters (although one is open to anything), and two brothers. They I can deal with though. I rarely see them. Mom and dad always come around no matter what I do in time. Like I said before...really should have seen the Wicca phase. So funny. But what really worries me (and I haven't fully explained this yet) is the fiancee. He has more control over me than one might suspect. Truth be told...I would probably make a lovely Muslim wife...my life revolves around making him happy. He would be the problem. He is what keeps me secretive and hiding things. He is very closed minded.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Don't worry about double posting (although there is a multi-quote (MQ) button in the bottom right hand corner of each post, you click on that of each post you want to quote in your response). If that didn't make sense then simply reply to anyone that responds with a new post.

After I posted and read what you posted (it was kind of weird).

Muslims in the time of Prophet Muhammad :saw: would have to hide their belief because of fear of reprisals from others (i.e., family or others related) as well. This point is evident (twice) in the story of Umar ibn al-Khattaab and appears what you could face.

But that doesn't change the main point. I think for now you need to learn about Allah (God), His Oneness in worship and then Prophet Muhammad :saw:. This is because when learning about Allah (God) in Islam you will see the importance of His Oneness, His Names and Attributes (not just in word but in action).

I don't mean to sidestep the issue of your fiancée (sorry for my ignorance, this means your engaged not married?) and family because this is a big point (which I feel I am neither knowledgeable nor would it be appropriate for me to say anything on). That is why I say for now (connect yourself with Allah (God) the Creator). I hope that somebody who has faced your situation could respond (Insha'Allaah - Allah (God) willing) because it could be helpful.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First, let me welcome you.

Mississippi is wonderful isn't it. There have been Muslims there for over two centuries. Islam has been there a long time.

The past has led you to us. All I can say is Alhumdullila. You will meet some very kind and intelligent brothers and sisters here.

Faith has always been in your life..its the way people misinterpreted faith that led to confusion. Many Wicians turn to the natural way as a means of escaping the craziness they find in the established churches. So many are sensitive people living on the edge of society.

Your finance we will leave alone for a minute. You do not need additional stress in your life. You need peace.

Tell us what you like about our faith. What do you not understand. What are the things so far that are causing any confusion. It takes time to digest everything.

mehitora

I actually did not see your post until after I had posted to Perseveranze. That is why I did not use the multi-quote. Yes, I am engaged, not married. Really not sure if I am ready to marry, especially him. He is so hard to talk to at times. I understand why you have decided to to comment on my situation. I understand completely. Thank you for your help though. I do feel a bit calmer. I have been reading over tons of things about Allah. I think Islam is vastly misunderstood.

(I will tell you a secret. I actually adore hijabs and the idea of modesty. I really dislike how women parade themselves around with absolutely no shame. So distasteful. Oh, wow. That kinda sounds mean.....)

mehitora

Aapa, Mississippi is kinda wonderful. A bit too hot and the people I have met are really closed minded, but it really is a decent place to live. I did not know many Muslims lived here. I have met a few but they were only passing through. I wish I could meet some that lived here.

You have correctly said the reason why I became Wiccan in the first place. Trying to find simplicity in a world of craziness.

Let's see. Things I like.... First off, it makes sense. After studying the Bible nearly my whole life, I was never ever able to make sense of a lot of it. A lot of things just didn't fit. *sings "One of These Things Just Doesn't Belong Here"* But reading about the Quran and read things from it, especially in relation to the Bible, I found it made so much more sense. I love the whole thing about If Jesus is God. That made total sense compared to there is one God but there is three parts to Him and they are each individual, but yet still the same being. That makes no sense.
I said before. I love modesty. (Hijabs look so cool!! Sorry for gushing, but I really think they do.) It is one of the reasons I got into the Pentecostal belief for awhile. Long sleeves, long skirts. Covered most of the body. Not the head though, but they could have if they wrapped their hair around their heads. Interesting thought. Good people though.
Not all to sure about the whole not eating certain foods thing. I mean I looked into why no pork and that made sense. Partake of no blood. I got that. Can't properly kill a pig and drain the blood so that meat is really bloddy. Makes sense.....but, I love bacon. Although they have turkey bacon and I haven't found anything saying turkey was bad. And the other foods that are forbidden, the reasoning still makes sense. I guess that is the biggest answer. It makes sense.

As for what I don't understand...well, I haven't found anything I don't understand. I have a vast ability to comprehend what I read. Now if I was having a verbal conversation, you couldn't get me to stop asking question. I do not understand verbal. But written I understand well. Plus everything I have read so far explains itself well, or something else explains it. But trust me, I will ask any question that comes to mind. One thing I am not afraid of is asking questions. I have actually been reading and learning what I could about Islam since I was really little. Since I was about 10 or so, when my mom looked at me and said I could be anything I wanted, believe anything I wanted, do anything I wanted, as long as I had the detremination to go after it. Good words those are. I would, though, like to learn more about the pillars. They interest me. Like why are they called pillars? What are they for? Why pray so much? Why make a prilgrimage? What if you are never in your life able to make a pligrimage? Why is Mecca so important? Why is certain Middle East cities important to Muslims? If Islam is so peaceful, why are some Muslims so mean (I mean like the ones that say kill all infidels and such like that)? Then again the Christian God is suppose to be all loving but apparently ordered crusades against the "infidels" (my history books used that word to describe anyone who wasn't Christian....ironic if you ask me) and to slaughter all, even the innocents (women and children) because none are innocent. Not very loving if you ask me.

*pales at length* See? I have done it again. I have wrote a book. *sigh* I always do that. Thank you for your time.

Note** It logged me out!!! I was just typing!! No need to log me out!!....Oh well...my book here I wrote still seems to be safe.

Perseveranze

Thank you. What I mean by cryptic is not telling the whole story. In fact I wasn't telling much of a story at all. I can't see how I could ever revert as you call it because of things such as my family.

For example, both of my brothers and one sister are in the US military. My brothers have both already served a tour in Afghanistan. It is regrettable, but understandable to me, that they don't trust anything that comes from that area including the religion.

My father, who is a cornerstone in my life, very important to me....let's just say his views of Muslims is not kind.

My mom, very very important to me, is more open to accepting things...well, she has a better way of dealing with it and that is pretending it doesn't exist. You should have seen what she did when I went from Mormon (Christian) to Wicca (Pagan).

And then there is my fiancee who I love dearly, but in no way shape or form am I able to talk to him about any religion without it turning into a fight. Not even what I believe. I have been told more times than I can count by him that I am wrong and that's about my own beliefs, Needless to say, he is very much not open to ideas he is not used to. He is Christian and refuses to listen to anything that contradicts his thinking. I can't even study religions oppsosing Christianity.

I have to do all my learning and researching in secret. Although...when I presented the idea to my mom all she said was I would rather you not. That is a hopeful statement, especially coming from her.

My feelings on this is fear. Intense, paralyzing fear....of shunning, of abandonment, of losing everything and everyone close to me. I hate fear. Is so not a nice feeling....

I understand, May Allah(swt) make things easier for you. In the end, whatever happens will happen.

But if it makes you feel better, the Prophet(pbuh) was apart of a well respected clan, he had money to live a very comfortable life along with his wife (who was 15 years older then him) and children, regarded as "trustworthy" by his community, his family and friends who were close to him were devout to their idol Gods.

Then all of a sudden, the first revelation came to him (the first verse from what we call the Quran). When this verse came to him from the angel Gabriel. He was afraid, because he couldn't tell anyone what just happened, most notably he was afraid of the embarassment and shame, what would people think when he told them an Angel spoke to him, they would call him Mad and he would lose respect from everyone. He thought he was crazy and even contemplated suicide.

Just imagine being in that position. And then suddenly the revelation comes again, and then again, telling him that he was the Prophet of God and has a message to convey to his people. When he was finally convinced that he wasn't crazy, he was ready to sacrifice everything to convey this message.

So when he gathered all the people (including family) of Mecca, he stood up and said "If I told you, a great army is going to come and attack this city, would you belive me?". They replied in the affirmative, even stating that his trustworthiness would give them no doubt in his statement. THen the Prophet(pbuh) said, "Well then you have to believe me when I tell you that there is no God but Allah, and I am the messenger of God".

They thought he was crazy. "How dare he defy our Gods?" He lost everything he had before such as respect, he lost alot of friends, even family members who in the end wanted to kill him. And from then on, it was just an uphill struggle. They tortured his followers, tortured him, made attempts to kill him, you name it.

In the end though, truth prevailed. Those that once hated him, ended up loving him. They found inspiration in him and the way he acted, the things he did made him a role model for everyone.

I just wanted to show you that, as bad as your situation may seem to you (in regards to your family etc.), just imagine how bad the Prophet(pbuh) and many of his followers had it.

There is always hope, may you one day have the courage to do whatever is in your heart.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

OK...everyone knows Islam makes sense. After-all, it is the religion that Allah has prescribed for us.

Now I am not going to respond in a booklet. This site has many many valuable threads and downloads that you can read. Just spend a couple of hours digging in. There is so much on Islam that you can spend a life time learning and feel as if you know so very little.

I will just say this: pillars..why the word pillars. A house has to have a good foundation. Without the foundation it sinks. The pillars of Islam are the fundamentals that we need to keep the faith strong. Without the pillars the foundation would be very weak. Hope this makes sense.

Prayer. It is the difference between one who Believes and one who does not. It is our covenant with Allah. It defines the relationship with Allah. It makes faith alive and real. It is the living and real stuff of faith. It is so powerful. It takes us from the ordinary to the divine, in no time. And it is the most interpersonal relationship we have. We can call on Him, the Lord, the Creator, the Master of the Day of Judgment, the Cherisher of the Universe, the Most Holy, Allah. We can call out to him 24/7. And His Word is True.

I sound like a southern jack-rabbit preacher. Forgive me.