Marrying a convert with Children and not a simple past?

brmomin

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Around 3 months ago I came across a sister that was a convert through work and through a few initial conversations there was some attraction.

The sister converted to Islam 7 years ago and trying to be a good Muslim, through a islamic matrimony site looked for a suitable husband.
She got talking to one brother (not British) from an Arab country (she was looking for an arab to help with arabic and deen). Within 3 conversations the brother was keen to meet and they did. 2 meetings further the brother highlighted it would be a sin to continue to meet and to marry.
Initially the brother, had highlighted he had a successful business, moderate views islamically and as the sister wanted to work in a different city, there would be no issues with him moving there.
Unfortunately - the husbands business went bust before the marriage, he turned to be very strict and made her give up her new job within the first month of marriage (she only found out all this after marriage).

Being a new Muslim and trying to be an obedient one, she decided to practice patience.
For the first 7months she only found out more things related to her new husband which were strict views such as not allowed to see her non Muslim female friends as they were s*gs or Prost**tes (excuse the language) and was not hardly allowed to see her non Muslim family as they were kaafir.

Her Arab husband and new family put pressure on her for children and although she felt she was not ready, again trying to be an obedient Muslim, remaining patient and hoping the husband would change, and the husband using the fact that islamically they should have children asap as its so rewarding/blessful, she fell pregnant with her first.
Upon 8 months of being pregnant she suffered her first type of physical abuse.

After the birth of their first child it became a common act for her to experience physical abuse (1-3 months) sometimes once and sometimes few times. Of course once the physical act was complete there would be short period where he would treat her good or so she thought.

Throughout the time she always looked for the better of the situation - Barring in mind she gave up her family (in terms of most contact), her friends, her home , her city and most importantly her identity. She always thought remaining stead fast, hoping he would change and if she was to split (would look bad on Islam to others and her non Muslim family - non Muslim family would blame Islam).

A year and a half passed since the birth and it was common to experience the mental and physical abuse. Her new family and husband then again put pressure on her on having more children. At first she took steps behind his back to preventing herself getting pregnant but upon feeling guilty and through some good points, she ended up getting pregnant again.

Again before and after birth more physical and mental abuse continued and after a few months of the birth she finally got the courage to leave.

Now what happened once she left is very long and I will only very briefly summarise.
The X husband decided to go to court to get custody as the wife wanted to divorce him and do things islamically including giving husband access to the kids.
He ended up taking the kids from her for 1 month by using a court order.
He then tried manipulating her and using his familys health as an excuse for her to return, when upon returning he tried to force her.
A year later of joint custody (50/50) of the kids, he raped her which he was charged for but not found guilty in court as not enough evidence.

So the current situation is - she is islamically divorced from him but she is still very alone now with 2 children. She has to make contact with the x husband once a month to hand over the kids, at a mutual location as she has no other choice of taking someone with her.

The above is just a real summary of the extent the sister has been through.

I have seen 2 huge files of paper work and proof of what she has told me from the start of her marriage to the present.
She is a very genuine sister who practices, observes hijaab and is a very good mother (she also MashALLAH has a successful job).

I am younger then the sister, never got married before and looking for a pious wife.
My family are culturally inclined and follow the arranged marriage to an extent of them finding me a suitable partner and I then can find out if shes compatible and make the final decision.

The sister is willing to move to my part of the country, willing to sacrifice her job or find something more suitable in terms of hours (if required for family stability) and more than happy to integrate with my family.

For my family the main issue would be the 2 children more than shes not from the same back ground as me.

How do I tackle such an issue, I feel I would be able to spend my life with this sister based on her piety and stead fast to Islam, especially after all that happened (she hasn't missed a single Salaat since converting).

I also would like to know if any one else had ever married someone with children, where the children still has a link with the father or mother. How do you deal with the x partner still having some sort of contact due to the kids?

JazakALLAH

Perseveranze

I honestly think she and you would both be great for each other.

Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) married Lady Khadija(ra) when he was younger and virgin, but she had previously got married and already had children "Hind and Hala, both are males"

^Talk about coincidence and we all know how blessed that Marraige was. It would be a sunnah of the Prophet(pbuh), you just need to make your family understand this. As for dealing with the x-partner, not sure, you should ask this question to a sheikh I think.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:

Akhi, I don't know what your background is, but irrespective I believe you would be truly blessed to marry this woman. Her first experience with Muslims could have really damaged her iman and I truly would not blame her if she ran screaming from Muslims and Islam, thinking this was what Islam truly was. Sometimes an individual is so overwrought with pain, anger and grief at what they initially believed to be their salvation, that they are quick to turn their back on it when they believe it has turned their back on them.

Nevertheless, I am not only impressed with her determination and resilience, but the level of her iman is truly enviable and you would be most fortunate to have such a woman by your side. She not only made the decision to accept a new religion and completely change her lifestyle, but she gave up what was precious to her in hopes that she was pleasing Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala despite all the pain she went through. That is truly one in a billion.

I know the pressures families sometime present to marry of the same background but Akhi, just look at what you'd be getting in return! An amazing muslimah to call your wife and be your partner and pillar in support, an enormous amount of hasanat for taking care of and providing for this vulnerable mother of two as well as her children, and helping her maintain her iman by being her gift from Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala and saving her from this situation. There would be enormous blessings in it for you, I truly believe. I don't have time to post any ahadith pertaining to this but I am positive they exist.

Again I must commend this woman for her steadfastness and sabr as well as you for considering marriage to her because you love these qualities as well. Always remember that while we have many qualities to consider when it comes to a potential spouse, the two that must never be compromised are deen and akhlaq. If you believe the sister has both in abundance, than she should be perfect. And also ask yourself (if you were to let your parents choose your spouse), how do you know she would be stronger in iman than this abovementioned sister? She has been tested with the worst of trials and alhamdulillah emerged victorious. I'm sure it would be a challenge for the ex-husband to still be linked to your wife and children in some way, but I definitely believe the benefits would outweigh the risks and all the hasanat you would be getting would be worth it.

I apologize if this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for. I just strongly felt the need to make a case for marriage to this woman. I wish you all the best and while I know cultural and social pressures can be overpowering, they are reduced to ashes when challenged by the idea of having such a strong sister as a wife.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala bless her with al-Firdaus.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Her children should not be an issue. Eventhough they came from that awful man, they need a father and safe home too insha'Allah! My father had 3 children from his ex wife and married my mother.

Alhamdulilah we only had minimal contact with their birth mother (since she hated all of us anyway) and it has worked out for the better. Keep in mind when my father married MY mother, his 3 kids were in their late teens (15, 17, 20 years old) But it was all okay.

Take a chance.
Love the kids as if they were your own.
Never raise a hand to your wife, and count your blessings each time you see her.

ipanda

That absolutely proves what an obedient, faithful and loving woman she is. I believe her faith of Islam is still strong though she may have lost faith in Muslims. You would so good in restoring that image in her mind. Though the final decision is yours, I would advise you to positively think about this. There is a reward, a satisfaction in the end. May Allah bless you.

Isra

aka Tree2008

Akhi, I don't know what your background is, but irrespective I believe you would be truly blessed to marry this woman. Her first experience with Muslims could have really damaged her iman and I truly would not blame her if she ran screaming from Muslims and Islam, thinking this was what Islam truly was. Sometimes an individual is so overwrought with pain, anger and grief at what they initially believed to be their salvation, that they are quick to turn their back on it when they believe it has turned their back on them.

Nevertheless, I am not only impressed with her determination and resilience, but the level of her iman is truly enviable and you would be most fortunate to have such a woman by your side. She not only made the decision to accept a new religion and completely change her lifestyle, but she gave up what was precious to her in hopes that she was pleasing Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala despite all the pain she went through. That is truly one in a billion.

I know the pressures families sometime present to marry of the same background but Akhi, just look at what you'd be getting in return! An amazing muslimah to call your wife and be your partner and pillar in support, an enormous amount of hasanat for taking care of and providing for this vulnerable mother of two as well as her children, and helping her maintain her iman by being her gift from Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala and saving her from this situation. There would be enormous blessings in it for you, I truly believe. I don't have time to post any ahadith pertaining to this but I am positive they exist.

Again I must commend this woman for her steadfastness and sabr as well as you for considering marriage to her because you love these qualities as well. Always remember that while we have many qualities to consider when it comes to a potential spouse, the two that must never be compromised are deen and akhlaq. If you believe the sister has both in abundance, than she should be perfect. And also ask yourself (if you were to let your parents choose your spouse), how do you know she would be stronger in iman than this abovementioned sister? She has been tested with the worst of trials and alhamdulillah emerged victorious. I'm sure it would be a challenge for the ex-husband to still be linked to your wife and children in some way, but I definitely believe the benefits would outweigh the risks and all the hasanat you would be getting would be worth it.

I apologize if this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for. I just strongly felt the need to make a case for marriage to this woman. I wish you all the best and while I know cultural and social pressures can be overpowering, they are reduced to ashes when challenged by the idea of having such a strong sister as a wife.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala bless her with al-Firdaus.

As salamo alaikome

Very VERY good post from sister ShahnazZ (may Allah reward her) and I have to say I totally 100 percent agree with EVERYTHING our dear sister said!

Good luck to you brother. May Allah guide you in making your decision and facing your family. Ameen

wa salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Allah gives us responsibility to the degree we are able to handle it. You sound as if you are up to it. May Allah reward you.

complex_man

I would advice to marry the young-never married before sister who is hailing from same background. with respect to religion it looks good but in long term it will be not good. dont make decision in hast , think , think and think again, there is no UNDO in life.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Brother if what you have written is true then she looks like a blessed lady, and I think you would be lucky if you marry her. I understand your statement about the backgrounds but they are your test. and the question is can you break these unislamic barriers of "backgrounds". I you are a good and pious man then I think you shouldn't have any problem handling backgrounds.

Her children should not be an issue either. If you learn to love them and treat them as your own (because they would be in some respect yours too, if you marry her) then perhaps you will raise yourself to her level in quality of imaan and taqwa.

As far as her ex-husband is concerned, he may be a little small test for you.

But again brother: You would be lucky if you marry a lady like her.
:wasalam:

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu 'alaykum.

I'm not all for advice brother, but I can you tell you this: She seems like a really pious sister (Hard to find to these dayss!). I just think you should marry her, insha'Allah. ^__^

brmomin

Allhumdulillah I took my time, consultated various scholars , did Istikhara during Ramadan and spoke to my local imaam during Ramadan regarding this situation .

The Istikhara was positive and So were the scholars answers. My local imaam knows my family/family and said it will be difficult, will take time but its the right choice .

I decided to tell my parents on Friday and so far they have reacted very negatively, have said tgings like how could I do this, they would not be able to show their face to family n community, they would need to move, their health and lives would be over etc

They have been crying and unable to sleep since then and expect me to forget her. they have sen this before n it would be very difficult with regards to adjustment, kids, family, community etc

Im going to be strong n slowly still persue in a way that i might see other potentials but just for the sake as they see me trying .

please pray for my family and me.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We will pray for you and your family.

Don't you love the way families react. The Hollywood Oscars have no idea of the drama we can put up with. The award for the most dramtic crying scene goes to ...the raising of the hands..

And what is up with this we have to move. I just told you I am going to marry. I did not say anything about you having to save face.

This is so cultural. We are ashamed. Ashamed that I follow the guidelines of my faith. It may be what you want for me is something I do not.

The bottom line is, and I am guessing you are Desi, they are so dramatic. I can't sleep. OK..you choose not to sleep. Your dreams for me are not coming true. I say leave the drama to Bollywood.

I see this too often. And I have lived through the drama. This is only culture.

Give them time to recover from the shock of it all.

I am not being disrespectful to your parents. I am conveying this in a humorous tone. I understand where they are coming from. But, they need to get a grip and understand where you are. Insha'Allah, they will see the honor that you are trying to gain.

Suggest to your imam that he ask your family to pray.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalaam walaikum,

We will pray for you and your family.

Don't you love the way families react. The Hollywood Oscars have no idea of the drama we can put up with. The award for the most dramtic crying scene goes to ...the raising of the hands..

And what is up with this we have to move. I just told you I am going to marry. I did not say anything about you having to save face.

This is so cultural. We are ashamed. Ashamed that I follow the guidelines of my faith. It may be what you want for me is something I do not.

The bottom line is, and I am guessing you are Desi, they are so dramatic. I can't sleep. OK..you choose not to sleep. Your dreams for me are not coming true. I say leave the drama to Bollywood.

I see this too often. And I have lived through the drama. This is only culture.

Give them time to recover from the shock of it all.

I am not being disrespectful to your parents. I am conveying this in a humorous tone. I understand where they are coming from. But, they need to get a grip and understand where you are. Insha'Allah, they will see the honor that you are trying to gain.

Suggest to your imam that he ask your family to pray.

Haha, I was thinking that too, How dramatic!
Although I am not from the sub-continent and nor are my family. I cant relate to their p.o.v.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Well, Islamically you as a man, are entitled to marry of your own choice. You can either marry her or not.

I know a Muslim man similar to you, who married against his parents will. - He had choice where he could marry a sister who was religious and accepted by his parents, or a woman who was not. Stubbornly, he persisted to marry the woman his parents did not accept.

It really damaged his relationship with his parents and family. They were elderly and sick. He was crazy after this lady being so pious etc and riveted on and on how he was right in Islam. blah blah. His friends and the dubious Imams around him gave him succor. No thoughts on parents or family.

A few years down the line, his precious wife left him.

The issue here, is that you are damaging your relationship with your parents. You have stated it will even damage their health. Yes, they are cultural and it will be a very difficult thing for them to accept. But, just because you have the moral high ground, does not mean that you have to take it. You have a choice. Your choice is being effected by your contact and becoming emotionally involved with that sister, whether it is a friendship or something more. You may not have intended this, but it seems clear she is sharing her personal stories with you and you are swayed by this.

You asked for our opinions, to be honest, it is sad when someone's son or daughter disobeys his or her parents.

You should get over this sister.InshaAllah, she will find a good husband. Its not the end of the world. Don't assume that you have to marry her, and she can not find a good husband. You should take a much broader view point.

You asked here our opinions. Mine is you should find one who will be pious, God fearing and a great Muslima and also one your parents accept. Take pity on your parents who raised you! Your parents are the ones who will stand by you, love you, no matter what. Remember that.

Wasalamu alaykum

brmomin

Assalamu alaykum,

Well, Islamically you as a man, are entitled to marry of your own choice. You can either marry her or not.

I know a Muslim man similar to you, who married against his parents will. - He had choice where he could marry a sister who was religious and accepted by his parents, or a woman who was not. Stubbornly, he persisted to marry the woman his parents did not accept.

It really damaged his relationship with his parents and family. They were elderly and sick. He was crazy after this lady being so pious etc and riveted on and on how he was right in Islam. blah blah. His friends and the dubious Imams around him gave him succor. No thoughts on parents or family.

A few years down the line, his precious wife left him.

The issue here, is that you are damaging your relationship with your parents. You have stated it will even damage their health. Yes, they are cultural and it will be a very difficult thing for them to accept. But, just because you have the moral high ground, does not mean that you have to take it. You have a choice. Your choice is being effected by your contact and becoming emotionally involved with that sister, whether it is a friendship or something more. You may not have intended this, but it seems clear she is sharing her personal stories with you and you are swayed by this.

You asked for our opinions, to be honest, it is sad when someone's son or daughter disobeys his or her parents.

You should get over this sister.InshaAllah, she will find a good husband. Its not the end of the world. Don't assume that you have to marry her, and she can not find a good husband. You should take a much broader view point.

You asked here our opinions. Mine is you should find one who will be pious, God fearing and a great Muslima and also one your parents accept. Take pity on your parents who raised you! Your parents are the ones who will stand by you, love you, no matter what. Remember that.

Wasalamu alaykum

You are write I may be over writing my parents happiness but the question is, is it for the right reasons?
I love, respect and will always be there for them but them scouting me a wife and then for me to decide, when my heart is not for this method correct?

Without exaggerating I spoke to my family 5 years ago in Saudi, in the sacred Haraam with regards to finding me a wife and they said they would but till date was being very specific and therefore didn't introduce me to a single one. Last 2 years every 3-4 months I asked the question and put pressure on them and not once was one introduced.

Now I am not going to directly blame my parents for this as it aint easy? Why is it not easy, as my family are more culturally inclined to their lifestyle and I am more inclined to live and try to lead a life Islamically.

If they find me a wife, I will find it very hard to accept someone who wasn't to criteria I wanted especially when all the aspects of why I chose her were Islamic.

Last 10 years I have found it very hard to accept this culture I live in and I will end this with the type of pressure I had last year.
Last year I decided to keep a beard and my father was very upset for my action.
He felt I was becoming too extreme, it will affect my work, my relation with friends and family and mainly it will affect me marry someone.
After 6-8 months of constant pressure of shortening it to what hardly would be a beard, he just let it go.

So do I actually I decide to make a decision now that will no doubt make me very sad and never content in marriage of their choice or try until they accept?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum.

Brother Mabsoot,

I see a simple solution. It is an Islamic solution. Marry two wives. Tell your parents that you will also marry a woman/girl of their choice. Everyone will be happy.

What do you think?

brmomin

Not going to work. Again they would see that as negative and throwned upon by community. Regardless my intendent would not be happy being a 2nd wife and neither do I want a 2nd. shes beeb through enough as it is and I will InshAllah over time make my family see by marrying her will not bring shame but barakat, love and happiness InshAllah

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

This is turning out to be a very complicated situation. It was fine until the parents' have started being so against this marriage. And Brother Mabsoot's advice also holds truth.

I am thinking that the Istikhara made the brother feel positive about marrying this sister. For now, I would advise to do lots and lots of dua to Allah SWT to change and soften your parents' hearts. Brother, this will be difficult, but you will have to try and turn your parents towards your point of view - explain to them everything you are feeling, what you expect from a marriage, a married life, your akhirah, everything. Day after day for at least a month try and pursue them, and make dua. And see what happens.

The fact remains, that between wife and parents, a guy has to choose his parents. That is Allah's decree. Your intentions are good - surely Allah will help you. Just have sabr.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Whoa brother,

Lets think this out. When you say she has been through enough the bells go off. Brother, take time to think it out. Do you want the constant drama in your life. That comes with the territory. She would not be happy being a second wife. A woman with children would not be happy being a second wife. She will bring much of the dunya with her. Think this out.
Has your mother met this woman yet? Please ask your mother what I mean when I say she will bring much of the dunya with her.

Brother, marry this one and do not marry a girl to please your parents. That is so unfair to anyone. And I see men doing this all the time. Your heart is with this woman. If you marry one to please your parents that girl would start the relationship on the wrong foot.

I have to agree with Brother Mabsoot on this one, in retrospect.

The community would frown on that which is sunna. Go figure. Another topic.

We need a post on the Islamic concept of marriage.

Please understand I am speaking as usual in constructs in the abstract. There is no attack on you or your intended. I am just thinking aloud about the facets of this situation.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum.

Brother Mabsoot,

I see a simple solution. It is an Islamic solution. Marry two wives. Tell your parents that you will also marry a woman/girl of their choice. Everyone will be happy.

What do you think?

wa alaykum salam

Me? lol. You mean the brother.

If his parents agree to it, why not. But, they do not.

I think the brother should not rush. Give himself a month or two, and stop any wrong type of communicating with this lady. Sometimes, space and time is needed to have a clear mind.

Fair enough, his parents are not much help for him to get married. He should try at the local mosques and Islamic centers for people to help him with his search. Allah knows best.

Wasalamu alaykum