Niqab. Mandatory or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Purity'

Assalamualaikum Brothers and Sisters,

I do not know if this topic has been discussed or not, but I have a question regarding the Niqab and what the Quran says about wearing it. Recently a member of my family has begun wearing the Niqab (Mashallah) because she has learned that it is mandatory. Now I have never heard that it is mandatory to wear the Niqab (I have gone to Islamic School myself) and we have been having constant discussions on whether it is 100% mandatory for a woman to wear the Niqab. I do try to stay clear of the topic myself as I do not wear it myself so I do not want to make a concrete statement for something that I don't practice. I would really appreciate Quranic verses regarding the issue.

Jazakallah Khair and may Allah bless all of us and lead us to the straight path.

ShyHijabi

The scholars have not ever reached concsensus on this. The verse in the Quran tell women to draw their cloaks around them and to cover their bosoms. The hadiths explain that one must cover everything but the hands and face but some scholars believe that more must be covered. They use other hadiths that have been deemed weak and also do some fairly spectacular circular argueing. No offense to them but that is how it appears to someone such as myself.

I have read on this extensively and feel I am fulfilling my obligation by wearing hijab and modest clothing. I am not convinced that covering the face is wajib but mustabh.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
The scholars have not ever reached concsensus on this. The verse in the Quran tell women to draw their cloaks around them and to cover their bosoms. The hadiths explain that one must cover everything but the hands and face but some scholars believe that more must be covered. They use other hadiths that have been deemed weak and also do some fairly spectacular circular argueing. No offense to them but that is how it appears to someone such as myself.

I have read on this extensively and feel I am fulfilling my obligation by wearing hijab and modest clothing. I am not convinced that covering the face is wajib but mustabh.

Assalam-o-alikum,

I have concluded the same thing.

Wassalam.

Ameera

Seeking allah
Walikum Salaam
When i was in the mosque a female wearing a niqab came in but she had to remove it to speak to the imam and to enter the prayer hall ..... I guess this means its not mandatory in islam to wear niqab

kayleigh

Is it true that women in niqaab must uncover their face when they do salaat and when they go on Hajj?

I'm not 100% sure but a woman who wore niqab once told me that covering the face on hajj isn't forbidden, its just HOW you cover it. Something about how you can't tie anything on to cover your face but you an hold up your scarf or wrap it so it covers your face? I'm sure someone else will know more about that.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I read and read and read. I just got confused. Many explantions include italics in brackets..

From a common sense perspective..it does not make sense to cover your face during salat. Why would you want to deprive your mouth, lips, and gentle voice from the direct blessings of worship. Is that not why we do wudu. These are among the body parts that bring blessings to salat.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Listen to Shaykh Muhammad Salah's answer

[yt]N_FvxdngfgY[/yt]

In times of 'fitnah', both school of thought say that Niqab is mandatory.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Zaii

LifeIsAStruggle____

When doing salat, a woman must show her face. I see many Niqabis do that when they do their salat. This is according to the Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) when he stated that every part of a woman's body must be covered apart from - and he pointed to his face and his hands.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
At times where we are condemning over the ban on Burqa in Belgium/France and here we are discussing whether its mandatory or not.

I think the Govt. of these countries would support their stance on the ban by telling its no mandatory as what people have said here.

Battal

...The woman's dress, as prescribed in sharee'ah (“Islamic dress”), is that which covers her head, face and all of her body.

...When Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies." (surah al-Ahzaab 33:59)

he covered his face, leaving only one eye showing. This indicates that what was meant by the aayah was covering the face. This was the interpretation of Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) of this aayah, as narrated from him by 'Ubaydah al-Salmaani when he asked him about it.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/21134/

arzafar

...The woman's dress, as prescribed in sharee'ah (“Islamic dress”), is that which covers her head, face and all of her body.

...When Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies." (surah al-Ahzaab 33:59)

he covered his face, leaving only one eye showing. This indicates that what was meant by the aayah was covering the face. This was the interpretation of Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) of this aayah, as narrated from him by 'Ubaydah al-Salmaani when he asked him about it.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/21134/

jazakallah khair.

A lot of people quote the hadith from sunan abu dawood that the woman's face and hands can be uncovered but that hadith is from the time before 33:59 was revealed.

However, im also against forcing anyone to wear niqaab or anything else for that matter for fear of fitna and blah blah. islam is about upbringing, learning, propagating and applying correct religious knowledge. The prophet (saw) and the right guided khaliafas never regulated dress codes and they feared fitnah more than anyone else.

muharram23

Staff member

Listen to Shaykh Muhammad Salah's answer

[yt]N_FvxdngfgY[/yt]

In times of 'fitnah', both school of thought say that Niqab is mandatory.

Salamu alaykum

I'm just surprised that during these times a fully covered sister with jilbab and abaya while showing only her face and hands is considered fitnah and needs to cover her face while we live in times when there are naked women all around them sisters not covering their face. I understand if in a society where all women wear niqab is common and for a woman to be different and uncover her face would be a form of fitnah that that sister is causing. But common I could never understand that sister with propper hijac abaya and jibab only not covering her face and hands could be xonsidereed a form of fitnah.

The faces of woman during time of prophet saws weren't covered all the time. They would Walk and when a stranger would show they would pull a side of her garment on face leaving one eye open which IBM Abbas explains above ra. And when the stranger would pass they would let the garment down uncovering the face.

Any ways, this topic has been discussed Many times

Allah knows best
wassalam
Allah knows best

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum akhi,

If you listen to the entire answer, the Shaykh explains what he means by 'fitnah' in this matter from minute 1:30 and gives examples like if the sister has a beautiful face or is pretty, or living in a horrible time where people stare women's faces etc.

The Shaykh says both schools of thought agree on this matter that niqab becomes obligatory in this issue.

And Allah knows best.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
ALLAAH or RASOOLULLAAH , NEVER COMMANDED WOMEN TO COVER THEIR FACE .......

. IT WAS A custom , PRACTICE OF SOME WOMEN IN THE HIGH RANK FAMILY IN 06, 07 CENTURY WHICH WAS ADOPTED BY SOME ARAB WOMEN USED TO DIFFERENTIATE THEM FROM SLAVES WOMAN and ORDINARY PEOPLE.....
I may post in details when , insha ALLAAH , i get time..........

Astagfirullah al azeem..

Why do we want to make such statements just because we don't agree with the scholars who advocate 'Niqab' ?

Fear Allah brother.. That's all I will say.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
At times where we are condemning over the ban on Burqa in Belgium/France and here we are discussing whether its mandatory or not.

I think the Govt. of these countries would support their stance on the ban by telling its no mandatory as what people have said here.

Our discussion is not about banning niqab. It is about whether a niqab is mandatory or not.

These govts are not doing burqa/niqab ban because some muslims said so, or people on TTI has this oppinion. They are doing it as a project to dismantal Islam from Europe. Tomorrow they may try to ban Hijab or ban any other Islam tradition, because this is what their plans are.
:wasalam:

kayleigh

I don't think wearing niqab is a good idea. However, I think the whole argument that you should wear it if you're pretty is silly. I mean... the problem is, you don't need to be pretty for guys to bug you, lol. I don't think I'm pretty but guys bug me a lot, and the funny thing is they bug me when I'm dressed more modestly (I'm not saying you shouldn't dress modestly because of this).

FYI, moderatemuslim... I'm guessing you got that argument from Fatima Mernissi?

arzafar

the problem i have with muslims today is that they try to rationalize their deeds by bending the Islamic rules. the Islamic ruling on all aspects of the daily life are very clear. if you want to follow them please do so, but dont force them onto others. If you dont want to follow then please dont, BUT DONT play scrabble with quraan or hadith to arrive at an interpretation to suit your needs.

4mMadara2Amina

the problem i have with muslims today is that they try to rationalize their deeds by bending the Islamic rules. the Islamic ruling on all aspects of the daily life are very clear. if you want to follow them please do so, but dont force them onto others. If you dont want to follow then please dont, BUT DONT play scrabble with quraan or hadith to arrive at an interpretation to suit your needs.

If I can write little bit more as well : Each one of us will stand face to face with ALLAH. If you do not wish to wear hijab (or other ones, who name i properly not know yet), than that will be only your responsibility. Somehow I understand the men/ husband who is willing to make daughter or wife wear the hijab. As far as I know - them also will need to say ALLAH why they didn't wear the hijab (if I am wrong please correct me). The same- why we cover our hair, when we hear the adhan? Respect! Why we perform our prayers? To safe us from the Hell! Why we choose Islam? Because it says all! Than really I agree above- (in red color).

May ALLAH show us the straight path.Amen.:SMILY259:

Aisha hussain..

seeking knowledge
salam alykum

i guess hijab is just not enough for a women, because honestly speaking i use to do full hijab with almost no make what was the result still ignorant people bugging me but alhamdulillah when i started niqab no even bothers to lookat me

there is no evidence in the Quran to cover our face
actually some some scholars say that it is obligatory and some scholars say that it is not

it depends what is our intention some girls may Allah guide they do wear the hijab but its almost like not wearing and mashallah some sisters they wear only hijab and they really dont need to wear the niqaab they are just so moderate mashallah

in conclusion do not turn the ayaats for your benefits
see the situation if wearing hijab is not enough then wear the niqaab it will keep u more chaste inshallah

take care sis :)

Status
Not open for further replies.