Oujia boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
:salam2:
What do you guys think of them?

My history teacher was of the opinion they were evil and can cause some disturbing things to happen. She told us she even knew a women who died after contacting dark spirits through it.

It's basically a piece of cardboard with a bunch of letters, numbers, a yes, no, or maybe, and a cursor that moves by itself. Supposedly, anyway. You touch it with the tip of your finger and a "spirit" then takes control of it and spells out an answer once you ask it a question. There are some very frightening stories about oujia boards on the internet that you guys can quicky search up if your interested.

Psychologists have suggested that the cursor moves on the persons own accord through subconscious muscle movements. I find this hard to believe though seeing that there are so many people who have documented experiences with it and said they barely touched the cursor.

Some stories even document spirits foretelling the future or telling stories of the past that the asker didn't know. It's weird.

Of course such things have no place in Islam. I was wondering however, what you guys though of it? Is it a hoax, or really a way to contact the world of the Jinn?

wasalam

ansari

STRANGER...

I don't believe at all...100% FAKE
akhi.. have you seen the movie " Jumanji " :lol: in that movie they also play board game and crazy things come of that board lol
:wasalam:

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

Brother my strongest advice to you is, stay away from that board.

It will destroy you completely and you will not be able to get rid of it.

Even if you through it away, it will come back to your house.

Big Shytan jinn involve in it.

May Allah Subhanuwatallah protect us all, Ameen.

ShyHijabi

My opinion? It's a piece of cardboard with letters printed on it and it's distributed by a toy company. It's complete and utter garbage and it seems only hysterics say they "know" someone who died or was posssed by them.

From an Islamic point of view we are not allowed to fiddle with anything proported to "channel" spirits so I'll never have one in my house. I was a at a friends house and they played with one (we were about 11 yrs old) and the cursor moved. Later on one of the girls admitted she was pushing the cursor. I should've known because the "spirit" had poor grammar and made the same spelling mistakes as my friend. :rolls eyes:

ShyHijabi

Oh and for the record, she later threw out the board because she deemed it trash. It never came back and I assume it's completely rotted in some landfill. Honestly I think people give these things more respect/fear than they deserve.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Oujia boards...you know..I don't even know where to start in regards to them..akhi..just stick with the *scrabble board*..at least there'll be an opportunity for you to develop new vocabulary and teach them to others if you play it..that's of course..if you ran out of *truly beneficial* things to do with your free time!

Don't preoccupy yourself with silly urban legends baraka Allaho feek..it won't do you any good trust me..

:wasalam:

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

I know some persons played with this board night after night in a dark room, calling spirits of deads, and I know how some of them(not all) were crying later for the measureable experiences they were having. I believe some black magic involve in it which affect some persons. This will be my last posting in this regard because I do not understand it and I do not want to involve/discuss it.

May Allah SWT protect us form the evil, Ameen.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
What do you guys think of them?

My history teacher was of the opinion they were evil and can cause some disturbing things to happen. She told us she even knew a women who died after contacting dark spirits through it.

It's basically a piece of cardboard with a bunch of letters, numbers, a yes, no, or maybe, and a cursor that moves by itself. Supposedly, anyway. You touch it with the tip of your finger and a "spirit" then takes control of it and spells out an answer once you ask it a question. There are some very frightening stories about oujia boards on the internet that you guys can quicky search up if your interested.

Psychologists have suggested that the cursor moves on the persons own accord through subconscious muscle movements. I find this hard to believe though seeing that there are so many people who have documented experiences with it and said they barely touched the cursor.

Some stories even document spirits foretelling the future or telling stories of the past that the asker didn't know. It's weird.

Of course such things have no place in Islam. I was wondering however, what you guys though of it? Is it a hoax, or really a way to contact the world of the Jinn?

wasalam

This is the first time I have heard of it...and probably the last time! inshaAllaah.
I have no opinion regarding it because I dont know anything about that board except what you've stated. But I would advice you to stay away from such things for you'll never know where it might lead you. :JUST A THOUGHT HERE: I hope I dont upset anybody by saying that...
may Allaah forgive us all. ameen

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Just keep away from it as every one have said it here. I think its just marketing tactic employed for that toy to sell and people think it is real.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
@brother Ansari,I saw "jumanjii" me too!Ouidja is just a word like another one.but it's better not to call spirits for joking,because,why not,they could like to play:SMILY149:

uddim004

i have no idea what this is.but i will say keep away from it. some people -from what i have read believe it is magic. therefore any ype of magic is considered haram and so you should keep away from it.

abu'muhammad

Assalaamu alaykum,

The game or bad box is equal to tarrot reading or parrot saying a future. can we believe that !If the palmist or astrologers knew future for themsleves then they would be busy with their own world :).

The original game and concept is from China and then later there is such oujia boards.

its seen the attitude of players, its publiciters make the things the real, the way they want people to be fooled and so they have their dogma in top-gear. even some scholars (not all) as much I know opine using board games like chess etc is haraam or atleast fahish.

there are so many myths people especially have who believe in superstition and blind faiths. I use to hear in childhood that on no-moon day there is a gathering of devils and evil spirits. so when such things as on continuous hearing settles in mind and becomes a belief later. this is the same thing with all such stuffs. There is absolutely no reality in them, just to make people drivn by some emotions or thoughts.

Allaah knows the best.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Man those things dont work. Trust me, I had one.
My mother used to be VERY into the Occult when I was 10 years old or so...Ouji boards, tarot cards, etc. She got me one, and I had fun with it with my friends, but we all knew it was fake.

Someone is always moving the little pointer and not saying so.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Just as we invite good into our lives we invite evil. We forget the word is real.

Al-Indunisiy

Ouija board
If there really is an afterlife, I'll bet the best way to contact it is through a plastic, mass-produced board game from Milton Bradley! --Mad Magazine
A Ouija board is commonly used in divination and spiritualism, often by friends out to have some fun. Sometimes, users become convinced they've been contacted by the spirit world. The board usually has the letters of the alphabet inscribed on it, along with words such as 'yes,' 'no,' 'good-bye,' and 'maybe.' A planchette, a small 3-legged device with a hole in the middle or a pointer of some sort, is manipulated by those using the board. However, users often feel the planchette is moving of its own accord rather than responding to their own unconscious muscle movements (ideomotor action). The users ask a "spirit" a question and the pointer slides until it stops over "yes" or "no" or a letter on the board. Sometimes, the selections "spell out" an answer to a question asked.

Some users believe that paranormal or supernatural forces are at work in spelling out Ouija board answers. Skeptics believe that those using the board either consciously or unconsciously move the pointer to what is selected. To prove this, simply try it blindfolded some time Have an unbiased bystander take notes on what words or letters are selected. Usually, the results will be unintelligible.

The movement of the planchette is not due to spirits but to unconscious movements by those controlling the pointer. The same kind of unconscious movement is at work in such things as dowsing and facilitated communication.

Before there were Ouija boards in America there were talking boards. These could be used to contact the spirit world by anybody in the privacy of one's own home; no séance was required and no medium need be present (or paid!). No experience necessary! No waiting! Quick results, guaranteed!

The Ouija board was first introduced to the American public in 1890 as a parlor game sold in novelty shops.

E.C. Reiche, Elijah Bond, and Charles Kennard ... created an all new alphanumeric design. They spread the letters of the alphabet in twin arcs across the middle of the board. Below the letters were the numbers one to ten. In the corners were "YES" and "NO."
Kennard called the new board Ouija (pronounced 'wE-ja) after the Egyptian word for good luck. Ouija is not really Egyptian for good luck, but since the board reportedly told him it was during a session, the name stuck.*
Kennard lost his company and it was taken over by his former foreman, William Fuld, in 1892.

One of William Fuld's first public relations gimmicks, as master of his new company, was to reinvent the history of the Ouija board. He said that he himself had invented the board and that the name Ouija was a fusion of the French word "oui" for yes, and the German "ja" for yes.*
Although Ouija boards are usually sold in the novelty or game section of stores, many people swear that there is something occult about them. For example, Susy Smith in Confessions of a Psychic (1971) claims that using a Ouija board caused her to become mentally disturbed. In Thirty Years Among the Dead (1924), American psychiatrist Dr. Carl Wickland claims that using the Ouija board "resulted in such wild insanity that commitment to asylums was necessitated." Is this what happens when amateurs try to dabble in the occult? Maybe, if they are suggestible, not very skeptical, and a bit disturbed to begin with. However, even very intelligent people who have not gone insane are impressed by Ouija board sessions. They find it difficult to explain the "communication" as the ideomotor effect reflecting unconscious thoughts. One reason they find such an explanation difficult to accept is that the "communications" are sometimes very vile and unpleasant. It is more psychologically pleasing to attribute vile pronouncements to evil spirits than to admit that one among you is harboring vile thoughts. Also, some of the "communications" express fears rather than wishes, such as the fear of death, and such notions can have a very visible and significant effect on some people.

Observing powerful messages and the powerful effect of messages on impressionable people can be impressive. Yet, as experiences with facilitated communication have shown, decent people often harbor indecent thoughts of which they are unaware. The fact that a person takes a "communication" seriously enough to have it significantly interfere with the enjoyment of life might be a sufficient reason for avoiding the Ouija board, but it is hardly a sufficient reason for concluding that the messages issue from anything but our own minds.

saifkhan

abd-Allah

Just keep away from it as every one have said it here. I think its just marketing tactic employed for that toy to sell and people think it is real.

Saalam alaikum warhamatu-llah

I'm with you and I think many of us Inshaa'Allah.....

wassalam

Status
Not open for further replies.