Queen Rania Of Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almaas

Queen Rania takes on stereotypes

:salam2:

I was reading the BBC news website and came across this. I thought it was interesting and something you may like to read.

The queen's V-log already addressed terrorism and violence against women
Queen Rania of Jordan is seated behind an enormous desk in her office in Amman with three cameras trained on her.

Two of them are ours, the third belongs to her staff, who are about to film the latest edition for her personalised channel - or V-log - on the video-sharing website YouTube.

It is the seventh video she will have posted since she made her online debut in March. Speaking in English, she asks people to suggest stereotypes they have heard about the Arab world so she could "break them down one by one".

King Abdullah's wife may not be the only public figure tapping into the popularity of YouTube - politicians and monarchs worldwide have created sites.

''Some stereotypes are just wrong... This (Arab headscarf) is not a symbol of extremist behaviour .'' Queen Rania, speaking on YouTube

But as a prominent Arab using the internet to try to engage with the west and promote moderate Islam, she stands out from the crowd.

"My teenage son is a man of very few words and his response was 'cool', so I guess it's got to be good," she jokes.

YouTubers seem to agree with him: so far over two million people have watched her videos (a combination of posts from her and contributions from various musicians, comedians and local Jordanians).

Channel of communication

By putting herself online, Queen Rania is opening herself to the criticism of millions of people.

"When I first broached the idea of doing YouTube some people looked at me as though I must have completely lost the plot," she confides.

She understands well the power of the visual image

"I do feel that our world is in a bit of a crisis at the moment," she says. "Violence has overtaken dialogue and compassion has lost out to anger. I'm hoping this will become a channel of communication between east and west because I very much think our world is in dire need of that."

Unlike the YouTube sites belonging to the British royal family or the UK government site, which don't allow comments and disable any discussion, Queen Rania's channel actively encourages them.

People have written a plethora of opinions on her page ranging from the adulatory, to the engaging, and the angry.

It's not exactly an online conversation. She can pick and choose which of the comments she responds to.

But she hasn't shied away from the tough issues: the rights of Arab women, honour killings, religion and terrorism have all been addressed.

No mistakes

And as one of the most photographed women on the planet, Queen Rania understands the power of the visual image.

"A lens is something through which you can really reach out to people and get your message across," she says.

It might be one of the reasons why, despite the crowd of cameras, staff and crew engulfing her, she manages to do her piece to camera in one take, with no hesitations, and no mistakes.

Queen Rania plans to end her V-log on 12 August, International Youth Day, but already she says it was move worth taking.

"By putting myself on YouTube I'm really putting myself out there, throwing myself into the thick of things. But it's a gamble worth taking.

"As Muslims we need to stand up and speak out about who we are. If we want to defy stereotypes we have to start defining ourselves and we're not going to do that just by sitting quietly at home expecting people to just get it."

I personally think it's nice of her to make an effort, she's doing more than alot of people. So i think it's nice to see a Muslim woman. who is a public figure. speak against prejudice etc. She's also the 13th most powerful woman in the world and she's also been labelled one of the most beautiful women in the World. :ma:

What's your intake? :hijabi:

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

My take is...

I would be more than willing to watch her channel on youtube...and listen to what she has to 'say'...

when the ISRAELI flag...stops waving on Jordanian soil!!!

Double-Standardness..along with...Hypocrisy...seems to be planted very deep into Arab leaders!

and SHAME...has been completely obliterated from their dictionary of morals...

that is...

If they even HAVE ONE!!!

A Muslim woman concerned about her deen and her people...will fix the problems within *her* society...before correcting the views or stereotypes of those *outside* of it...because accomplishing the first...will eliminate the latter!!!

Almaas

My take is...

I would be more than willing to watch her channel on youtube...and listen to what she has to 'say'...

when the ISRAELI flag...stops waving on Jordanian soil!!!

Double-Standardness..along with...Hypocrisy...seems to be planted very deep into Arab leaders!

and SHAME...has been completely obliterated from their dictionary of morals...

that is...

If they even HAVE ONE!!!

A Muslim woman concerned about her deen and her people...will fix the problems within *her* society...before correcting the views or stereotypes of those *outside* of it...because accomplishing the first...will eliminate the latter!!!

Salaam Sis,

I have to say I agree with you.

Although, I do like her effort of atleast trying to make a difference.

I know that she's Palestinian so I really hope she does something to help them (inshAllah), I mean she's got the power do atleast support them in chairty.

Though I don't know much about the Israelies being on Jordianian soil, i'll have to read into that...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I have difficulty with the word moderate. Once I see that as a prefix to a Muslim I swear I become balistic. Let us break this down. Here is a woman who is wishy washy about Islam. Moderate...does that mean you only need to perform 2.5 prayers a day? Does this mean you only do 50% of the hajj? Do you fast for 15 days?
What is a moderate Muslim. There is no such thing. Once I read this I know who is behind this. So the article is null and void.

What does it mean she is the 13th most powerful woman on earth? Is she behind Oprah and the Queen of England and Maddona? Let me not forgert Condi Rice or does she even count?

She is not making a difference..she is apologizing for what Muslims did not do in the first place. If we did no wrong we do not need to apologize.

palestine

Servant of Allah
oh i've already pm her on youtube. i watched her video and mashallah she was telling ppl that islam has nothing to do with terrorism.
[yt]TFf897bUW2Y[/yt]

her username is queenrania on youtube. i sent her a pm that was asking if she was actually a queen. lol. i never knew that. peace. enjoy the vid.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Salaam,

I have difficulty with the word moderate. Once I see that as a prefix to a Muslim I swear I become balistic. Let us break this down. Here is a woman who is wishy washy about Islam. Moderate...does that mean you only need to perform 2.5 prayers a day? Does this mean you only do 50% of the hajj? Do you fast for 15 days?
What is a moderate Muslim. There is no such thing. Once I read this I know who is behind this. So the article is null and void.

What does it mean she is the 13th most powerful woman on earth? Is she behind Oprah and the Queen of England and Maddona? Let me not forgert Condi Rice or does she even count?

She is not making a difference..she is apologizing for what Muslims did not do in the first place. If we did no wrong we do not need to apologize.

:):salam2:

agree, i have the same feelings about her:astag:

the best woman on EARTH is fatimah bint muhammad, we should know that. she doesn't even look like muslim at all so how can she stand up steriotypes against muslims. all these woman have their own culture and relgion to follow and they do follow it.

Almaas

:):salam2:

agree, i have the same feelings about her:astag:

the best woman on EARTH is fatimah bint muhammad, we should know that. she doesn't even look like muslim at all so how can she stand up steriotypes against muslims. all these woman have their own culture and relgion to follow and they do follow it.

The best woman in both worlds is indeed Fatima bint Muhammad.

And yeah, thats true, you wouldn't exactly guess the queen is a muslim. Although, it's not a bad thing that she's trying to clear misconceptions, it's a step forward.

Apparantly she's more powerful than the Queen and Condi Rice is supposedly the most powerful woman in the World, unfortunately.

Zafran

Muslim Brother
Salaam - I thought Mary, Khadija, the Pharoahs wife and Fatima were the best of women - May Allah be pleased with all of them.

Idris16

i cant understand the queens husband. he's related to prophet muhammad(s.a.w) but he doesn't believe in sharia.

Rahima Ali

i cant understand the queens husband. he's related to prophet muhammad(s.a.w) but he doesn't believe in sharia.
loools....so true i myself is also a relative of the Rasullulah (SAW)...and alhamdulilah there are millions of us back home in north somalia and most of us act according to the shariah....it's funny how the hashimites kingdom of Jordan sucks up to those leaders that hate Muslims even the saudi and the rest of the so called muslim leaders.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

You don't really expect much good from a family appointed by invaders..and are just a past version of...Al-Maliki and all of them!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Please forgive me but I believe it is time to move on. We are all in the firm understanding albeit she is addressing Arab perceptions in the world; she is not addressing issues that are Islamic.

Zafran

Muslim Brother

Salaam

This is one of the main reasons why ancestory shouldnt matter when it comes to leadership instead piety should be considered.

salamsister

well i dnt get her ; why doesnt she wear her headscarf -__-

A couple of years ago I came across an article she wrote about how the Quran is the perfect book (which it is) and that we don't need Hadith to guide us.... eeek. I think thats her way of getting out of wearing a headscarf.

tabaria

You can't get much worse then these group of people. She wears all designer outfits while her people live in poverty, her husband is just a tool and for some reason they think they have some sort of legitamacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.