Qur'an taught in Schools

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I know that I come from a Christian background, and having learned that there are inconsistencies in the (Bible) Book, I have kept an opened mind when hearing scripture read...knowing that the Qur'an has exact words from God.

I saw a report on the News that some Public Schools in America are allowed to teach 'Bible'. And this is spreading among public schools. This is to be taught just like a history class. Not a religion class.

I would like to see a curiculum in the public schools to teach 'Qur'an' as a subject...at least, allow the American Schools to accept this to be taught.

America is One Nation Under God...(and it seems that the Jews and Christians are the acceptable religions....when Islam needs to be included, as well.)

What do you think about this?

Forgive me if I have offended anyone...for my ignorance of how 'holy' the Qur'an is....to be considered as a subject to be taught.

Salam

justoneofmillion

assalamu aleikum,who is going to teach it muslims or non muslims?i personally i do not think that it should be reduced to a history class it is dead serious stuff
unlike the bible it shouldn`t be put at the same levels as other religions because it is god`s word an ever present subject and not at all a history matter and what would they teach anyways we know they love interpretations?that is my humble opinion about it as a lot of things are happening here in europe too that could be a way of marginalisation and neutralisation i think how could the quran be taught in a history class!:)

ps:islam doesn`t need the charity of being accepted it is itself a charity for those who think they are in the position to accept it or not!
and allah swt knows best i may be wrong

wassalam

Karima

Walykumsalam,

Just my point....shouldn't the present word of God be taught for knowledge? Meaning, allow the Qur'an to be taught and exposed to all, since it is the word of God?

it is god`s word an ever present subject and not at all a history

And not for a History lesson....to make myself clearer, the reason the Bible is taught is to explain the history of when things happened. This does not replace teaching History as a requirement.

I hope I am not confusing the intent of this discussion.

justoneofmillion

assalam , who would be teaching it muslims?because we all know how the "BARBARIC"moors have ruled spain for 800 years for example!and what would be the book the classes would be based on some orientalist "masterpiece"or a book with the approuval of the muslims scholars?am sure though you meant the history of islam not the quran.did you?

ps. you are not offending anyone dear sister feel free am just giving my opinion it is indeed a subject of accutality thanks for asking:)

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

it would never be allowed here in the usa. there would be outrage from the religious right and from people totally ignorant of islam. they have no problem with teaching kids about gay intimacies, promoting sexual promiscuity etc. i believe that the shaytan has heavily influenced many in our govt and our places of learning. he would never let kids learn about the words of Allah swt. if he did let it be in school, it would probably have ayats taken out of context. it always amazed me that islam is the 2nd largest religion in the world, fastes growing religion in america, yet so many americans know nothing about it. we were taught christianity and judaism in the schools except islam. they're afraid of having kids saying shahadah before the bell rings. again, having islam properly shown to america's schholchildren is dangerous to their cause. the american youth for the most part are lost. islam will help them be found. these kids can't tell you about the sins of fornication and adultery.they can't tell you about the prophets, Allah, righteousness etc. why? because there is no one in the home to teach them and the powers that be want to keep it that way, so they make sure that they don't teach the kids either. keep them oblivious, but let them learn about the wicked things in this world and teach them to embrace them.

Karima

Asalamualikum,

I meant 'equal' time to teach the Bible as a course, and one course to teach the Qur'an. Equal rights in America.

Islam is a Religion...the Bible is not a Religion.

meant the history of islam not the quran.did you?

Salam

Karima

Walykumsalam,

I agree with you....

there would be outrage from the religious right and from people totally ignorant of islam. they have no problem with teaching kids about gay intimacies, promoting sexual promiscuity etc.

Salam

Bluegazer

Hello Karima,

There are some countries [such as England in the United Kingdom] which have a class called Religious Education. They teach all the religions of the world.

If a good and honest translation of the meanings of the Qur'an could be presented in Religious Education, then that will be an excellent opportunity to allow non Muslims a chance to read the meanings of the Qur'an.

Idris Tawfiq [a former Roman Catholic priest] embraced Islam. One of the ways God Almighty exposed him to Islamic teachings was his reading from a translation of the meanings of the Qur'an while teaching Religious Education in a school in London. The following is part of his story:

“Once while reciting a translation of the holy Qur’an in class I reached the verse: ‘And when they listen to the revelation received by the Messenger, thou wilt see their eyes overflowing with tears, for they recognize the truth.’ To my surprise, I felt tears welling up in my eyes and I tried hard to hide it from the students.”

Source: http://www.idristawfiq.com/journey.html

However, some problems may arise when teachers treat the Qur'an and what's contained in it in an unacceptable way [for example, discussing whether the events mentioned in the Qur'an -according to non Muslims' views and certainly not mine- happened or did not happen].

To be honest, I think this topic should be raised to a number of scholars known for their knowledge and piety. They would be -God willing- more able to give a satisfactory answer.

By the way, I'd alike to ask you, Karima, if you're a Muslim?

The reason I ask this is because your profile states that you're a Christian, while you wrote the following in post #1:

I have kept an opened mind when hearing scripture read...knowing that the Qur'an has exact words from God.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Karima

Bluegazer,

I am what the profile reads. What is important comes from within 'who' I am.

This topic should not matter as to what 'religion' I am. This is an open discussion about a subject that I am concerned about.

Thank you for asking...regardless of what 'label' one places on himself/herself. Allah knows all and sees all.

Karima

Karima

Bluegazer,

This is a very good point.

If a good and honest translation of the meanings of the Qur'an could be presented in Religious Education, then that will be an excellent opportunity to allow non Muslims a chance to read the meanings of the Qur'an.

Bluegazer

Hello Karima,

I didn't mean to sound offensive by my asking about your religion. I was just pleasantly surprised that you do believe in the Qur'an as the exact words of God Almighty.

If I offended you in any way, then I apologize.

However, I respectfully disagree with you about your following statement:

...regardless of what 'label' one places on himself/herself. Allah knows all and sees all.

It is true that Allah Almighty knows all and sees all. He also required all of those who received the message of Islam in a clear and undistorted way to enter the religion of Islam.

Of course, a non Muslim should study the religion of Islam and at least know about its basic articles of faith, such as the 6 Pillars of Faith and the 5 Pillars of Islam.

I know that what I wrote above is off topic, so I won't say any more concerning this matter.

A belated "welcome to TurnToIslam" is due to you.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Karima

Bluegazer,

This is ok for you to ask...I was not offended.

Thank you for your input about what I am concerned about with teaching subjects in America. I feel that it would be fair to expose the Qur'an to students to learn from, just as the other subjects.

Bluegazer

Thank you for your input about what I am concerned about with teaching subjects in America. I feel that it would be fair to expose the Qur'an to students to learn from, just as the other subjects.

You're very welcome.

And thank you for trying to be fair to us Muslims and our Holy Book, the Qur'aan.

Some Muslims concentrate only on the bad effects of September 11. And it's no secret that many Muslims in the West and in the world suffered greatly.

At the same time, there were some non Muslim Westerners who actually volunteered to help out Muslims. For example, I heard that some Americans offered to walk with some Muslim ladies who wore the hijaab [i.e., covered their hair] so that they could go to the grocery store or other places they needed to go to, so as to protect them from anyone who'd think of harming them.

There are also some Western programs [although they are the minority] which tried to present Islam from the Muslims' point of view.

It's little gestures like this that make a difference.

kayleigh

I can't speak for any other school in America, but in my public high school, in my World History class (sophomore required class) we were taught both the Bible and the Qur'an and were assigned sections to read from the Old Testament, New Testament, and Qur'an.

Yes, it was a non-Muslim teacher teaching it but I don't really see the problem. My teacher was teaching historical facts (about the existence of the Prophet, peace be upon him) and about well known and agreed upon doctrines. The point wasn't to convert us - it was to educate us so that hopefully we'll all be a little less culturally ignorant and more accepting, especially after 9/11.

To be honest, that class was my first exposure to Islam. We never got too deep into it - we were tested on knowing the five pillars and who Muhammad (pbuh) was and all the "key" events during his lifetime (like the night ascension, etc.), and things like that. We had a chance to research further if we wanted to do so (for a paper). I ended up writing a paper comparing Judaism and Islam, which is when I first read or even touched a Qur'an (research material from the library, haha). I thought the Qur'an was absolutely beautiful, but I thought the story of the night ascension was quite ridiculous at the time and never gave it much thought after the class was over.

Karima

Kayleigh,

All praise is to Allah for your input! You were so FORTUNATE to have this opportunity in school to learn this.

I can't speak for any other school in America, but in my public high school, in my World History class (sophomore required class) we were taught both the Bible and the Qur'an and were assigned sections to read from the Old Testament, New Testament, and Qur'an.

Thank you for sharing this. Do you recall the name of the World History Class name of the textbook?...or were these subjects brought into the classroom for a broad exposure to these religions?

Salam

Karima

This topic is about Public Schools. Had Keyleigh not been fortunate to have this World History class, who knows what she/he would be believing?

To be honest, that class was my first exposure to Islam. We never got too deep into it - we were tested on knowing the five pillars and who Muhammad (pbuh) was and all the "key" events during his lifetime (like the night ascension, etc.), and things like that. We had a chance to research further if we wanted to do so (for a paper). I ended up writing a paper comparing Judaism and Islam, which is when I first read or even touched a Qur'an (research material from the library, haha). I thought the Qur'an was absolutely beautiful

Public Schools, then need fair time to teach Jewish Belief, Christian Belief, and Muslim Belief in Islam.

Apocalypse77, do you have something positive to add to this discussion, since Public Schools have their 'hands' tied to only teach Math, Science, History....etc. The name of God/Allah is not allowed to be said.

I commend the school which allows the teaching of the World History of these religions.

I agree....all people need God/Allah. Islam means submission to Allah. What is your solution to the Public Schools in America for teaching about Islam, Judasim, Christianity?

Actually, the topic was focused on teaching the (Qur'an as well as the) Bible, in this case of the News article about the teacher who could do this.

justoneofmillion

hi karima,i think a lot of schools do already teach the history of the major religions in some very basic way though the birth,geographical expansion fundamentals of faith ...etc,but teaching the Quran however is something else and not an easy subject it should be done by people who have knowledge of it and by muslims who acctualy live it if it wants to be done than it should be done correctly!especially if there would be as i suppose muslim students involved you wanted my point of view there it is you do not have to share it because i myself have had a bad experience with that ................

best regards

Karima

Thank you, Justoneofmillion,

Actually, this course was called, 'Bible' as a course...in a Public School. It includes both Judasim and Christianity.

I think my main concern was that from what I have learned, of the inconsistencies of the Bible, I wanted to see if the Public Schools could allow teaching a course called, 'Qur'an'. I agree with you that a proficient person would do justice in this. A muslim scholar would be ideal as an instructor, since questions could be answered having understood all the religions.

The course, 'Bible' does not promote Christianity, according to the television News segment. It exposes what happened when and where according to the Bible.

It seems only fair to allow a course called, 'Qur'an' for a fair course study in American Public Schools.

Islam DOESNT need pple.Pple NEED ISLAM

Salaamalikum,

Well said....

They would never allow public schools to teach Islam. I'm suprised enough some have Arabic classes.

In colleges and universities, they have a World Religions class and they go over just about every religion in the world. I took the course and I remember Islam was mentioned last and the professor sort of rushed through the chapters when Islam was taught.

I think in colleges there are a very few that actually teaches Islam!