Refuting A Claim Against The Obligation Of The Niqaab, By Ibn ‘Uthaymeen

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
‘Aa’ishah said:

“Asmaa Bint Abee Bakr entered in the presence of Allaah’s Messenger whilst wearing a thin, transparent garment. So the Messenger of Allaah turned away from her saying: “O Asmaa Indeed when a woman reaches the age of puberty, it is not allowed that any of her be seen except for this and this.” And he pointed to his face and hands.” [Aboo Daawood]
Ibn ‘Uthaymeen says about this hadeeth:

“As for the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah, then it is da’eef (weak) based on two aspects:

1)
The break in the chain between ‘Aa’ishah and Khaalid Bin Duraik, which was reported by Aboo Daawood, who noted the deficiency himself when he stated that Khaalid Bin Duraik never heard from ‘Aa’ishah. Aboo Haatim Ar-Raazee, may Allaah have mercy upon him, also mentioned this weakness.

2)
One of the narrators in its chain is Sa’eed Bin Basheer An-Nasree, a settler in damascus, who was renounced by Ibn Mahdee and declared weak by Imaam Ahmad, Ibn Ma’een, Ibn Madeenee, and An-Nisaa’ee. Due to this, the hadeeth is da’eef and cannot be used as an argument against the authentic hadeeths mentioned previously, which prove the obligation of veiling (of the face and hands).

3)
Furthermore, Asmaa Bint Abee Bakr was 27 years old when the Prophet made Hijrah. So being that she was mature and advanced in age, it would be unthinkable to suspect that she would enter the presence of the Prophet (saw) with a thin and tight dress, such that it revealed from her, more than just her hands and face. And Allaah knows best.

4)
And even if we were to assume that this hadeeth was authentic, it probably took place before te advent of Hijaab. This is since the texts concerning teh hijaab can be traced back to the original state, so they take precedence.”​

[Taken from "The Four Essays On The Obligation Of Veiling", Pp. 49-50]

http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.c...he-obligation-of-the-niqaab-by-ibn-uthaymeen/

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
So basically those who say the niqaab is not an obligation use the above hadeeth, however shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen shows the error in using such a 'proof'.

az101

http://www.miraathpublications.net/
So basically those who say the niqaab is not an obligation use the above hadeeth, however shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen shows the error in using such a 'proof'.

look for Sheikh Al-albani (rahimahullah) opinion on Hijab being fard not Niqab.

and see how it works out for you.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
I posted my notes on this topic somewhere here before... inshaa'Allaah will post it when I get some time

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

Brother, good work. I read your previous post also. Good that you highlighted the status of the hadith. Regarding niqaab, it is a khilaf matter among scholars hence I prefer to abstain from debating it. However, you made the point correct, we can't rely on weak hadith as daleel. I

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
look for Sheikh Al-albani (rahimahullah) opinion on Hijab being fard not Niqab.

and see how it works out for you.

Read it, and read the works of Ibn 'Uthaymeen in refutation to it...

Remember shaykh AL-Albaanee was known to have opinion which many of our salafi 'ulamaa considered odd and strange...

He was a muhaddith, but didn't excel in fiqh... Hence why many scholars take form his hadeth verification yet ignore his fiqh opinions.

Kakorot

:wasalam:

But if the niqab was obligatory, then why isn't it (the word niqab) mentioned in the Qur'aan? Why doesn't it CLEARLY state women have to cover their face? This is only found in hadiths.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

But if the niqab was obligatory, then why isn't it (the word niqab) mentioned in the Qur'aan? Why doesn't it CLEARLY state women have to cover their face? This is only found in hadiths.

Neither is growing the beard mentioned in the Qur'aan. Nor is the prohibition of plucking the eyebrows is mentioned.

The Sunnah is wahy and is equal to the Qur'aan in terms of legislation.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
I think most of the scholars are of the opinion that the niqab isn't mandatory. That the face and hands are able to be seen. If niqab was a must, how would a man know what his future wife looks like. Attraction does count as something. Niqab, is something that when a woman's faith grows, her desire to be even more modest grows, but it can't be said that it is mandatory. Sometimes I wonder why so many men here post about women wearing hijab or niqab, but rarely do you get a beard post or the Long pants, silk or gold posts for men.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
I think most of the scholars are of the opinion that the niqab isn't mandatory.

Yeah- but most of the scholars, or shall I say all the scholars put a very important condition: It is waajib in times of fitnah.

For example, the opinion of Abu Haneefah, rahimahullaah- is that it is mustahabb (recommended) to cover her face unless she lives at the time of fitnah (in this case it will be waajib). The times of fitnah refers to a society in which a man will look at a woman with a perverted look. Even hanafi scholars, 100 years ago, mentioned that this time (i.e. 100 years ago) is the time of fitnah... so what about now? We live in a time where men, generally, are sick-hearted.

*Please note that there is a consensus of scholars that it is OBLIGATORY to wear it in times of fitnah.*

Another thing to note is: The scholars have agreed that if a woman is beautiful then it is obligatory for her to cover her face. Now let me ask- who defines beauty? A woman may be considered to be not too attractive by one race of people, but at the same time maybe considered as very attractive to another race of people. As Imaam al-Shawkaani mentioned: "لكل ساقط لاقط" meaning: For every insignificant (or worthless) thing- there will always be someone for it. Example: A person may throw a penny away because it is worthless to him and probably even to most of the people- but there will always be someone, who will find this penny to be of some value.

And one final point to note is that: Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Hajar, al-Ghazzali, Al-Nawawi etc. reported that there has not been ONE account in history where a free woman practised the uncovering of the face in front of non-mahram men. In fact, they used to distinguish between a free woman and a slave woman by the fact that the slave women did not used to uncover their faces. For the niqaab, throughout history, gave honour to the women and raised their ranks in the society.

Obviously, I am not saying anything bad about our dear sisters who do not wear the niqaab and I am sure they have the correct intentions- but I just thought I'd share some facts.

how would a man know what his future wife looks like

We know that the Sharee`ah gives exceptions when it comes to cases of marriage- whereby a man is allowed to look at his future wife and speak to her etc. (in the presence of her Wali obviously)

Wassalaamu `alaykum

DanyalSAC

Read it, and read the works of Ibn 'Uthaymeen in refutation to it...

Remember shaykh AL-Albaanee was known to have opinion which many of our salafi 'ulamaa considered odd and strange...

He was a muhaddith, but didn't excel in fiqh... Hence why many scholars take form his hadeth verification yet ignore his fiqh opinions.

If this was the case wouldn't Al Albani know that the above hadith was da'eef?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

Sheikh Albaani had his views and he was qualified enough to do so. He is a muhaddith and a Faqhee (or whatever the spelling) according to the scholarly statement I read in someone's signature.

It was said: ''Hadith can be taken from [Sheikh Al-Albani] but not fiqh.''

In response, the Sheikh of the Hanabilah, the 'Allamah, Abdullah Ibn 'Abdul-'Aziz Ibn Aqeel (rahimahullah) said: ''It does not harm Sheikh Al-Albani if they say this, [it does not harm him if] one, two, ten or a hundred [people say this]. Sheikh Al-Albani is a scholar and his legacy is present and printed . . .

Whoever wants to read his view click here.

1) As of now I haven't read this article completely and 2) I won't follow this opinion anyways. Not because I've anything against Sheikh Albaani but because the narrations from the Prophet:saw: of Allaah and from the Salaf, in favor of Niqaab are proved authentic and quite clear. If Aishaa (may Allaah be pleased with her) did it, so should we. Follow the role models, it's that Simple!

Keeping all of that aside, men these days are so ridiculous that girls should have a problem with them being able to see their eyes and the bits of skin in those niqaab slits. Call me an extremist but they certainly deserve no softness and no "benefit of doubt". They don't give us a break, why should we?

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
I think most of the scholars are of the opinion that the niqab isn't mandatory. That the face and hands are able to be seen.

Untrue.. The majority are of the opinion that it is obligatory...

If niqab was a must, how would a man know what his future wife looks like. Attraction does count as something.

when a man wishes to marry a woman he is allowed to ask to see her... and he is then (in the oresence of her mahram) allowed to se her face...

Niqab, is something that when a woman's faith grows, her desire to be even more modest grows, but it can't be said that it is mandatory.

Akhee the vast m,ajority of scholars have said it is an obligation.. i do agree with u on te imaam increase thing though, but that whay te quraan was revealed durng a period of 23 or 24 years...

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!

it does indirectly say so...

Allah obligates women to cover their feet in the quraan for cause of temptation.

Now a question is asked: "what is more of a temptation, te fet or face?"

obviously the face...

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
If this was the case wouldn't Al Albani know that the above hadith was da'eef?

he knows of the anauthenticity of this hadeeth, no doubt about that...

however he uses as evidence the hadeeth of the woman on hajj... but other scholars have easily refuted that...

I'll post that one up in the future as well.. plz remind me if i forget...

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!

Here you go:

Regarding Allaah's statement, "...and let them not stamp their feet, so as to reveal what they hide from their adornment." [Noor:31]

Ibn 'Uthaymeen says:

"This means that a woman must not strike her foot so as to let it be known what she conceals (from her adornment(), such as her ankle bracelets or anything else that she adorns herself with for a man. SO is a woman is forbidden (in this aayah) from stamping her feet, for fear of causing fitnah for a man, due to what he hears rom the sound of her ankle-bracelet or its types, then how about exposing the face?

Which of the two is a greater cause for fitnah? That a man hears the sound of the ankle-bracelet produced by the foot of a woman, not knowing who she is, nor her beauty nor if she is young or old or if she is unattractive or beautiful. Which of these two is a greater fitnah? This, or that he looks at a woman's uncovered face that is perhaps beautiful, fair, young, bright, enticing, and which is perhaps beautified with that which attracts fitnah (temptation) and calls for the prohibited look?

Indeed, every man that has an interest in women knows which of the two is a greater fitnah and which is more deserving of being covered and concealed."​

[Taken From "The Four Essays On The Obligation Of Veiling" p.31]​

rahman2040

Untrue.. The majority are of the opinion that it is obligatory...

when a man wishes to marry a woman he is allowed to ask to see her... and he is then (in the oresence of her mahram) allowed to se her face...

Akhee the vast m,ajority of scholars have said it is an obligation.. i do agree with u on te imaam increase thing though, but that whay te quraan was revealed durng a period of 23 or 24 years...

:salam2:
jasakAllah
may Allah reward you brother, thats what i was thinking to reply here.

Allah knows best

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
This is an interesting Video I watched sometime ago. Skip to 2:30 then listen to the first question on obligation of Niqaab.

[yt]K2S8syrJQk4[/yt]