• Neither

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don't Care

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
^ wa alaykum salam For example, in the sunnah we're not told specifically to wear an abayah or something are we? We have a criteria which our clothes should be according to, a number of cultures go about it in different ways (try to)

I wanted to make a point about this,

'Clothing should not resemble the clothing of non-believers'

I have never met a non-believing woman wearing an abayah, but plenty of hindus and sikhs etc who dress in salwar kamees and the likes. And same with the thobe, its recognised muslim dress. (Actually I did meet a christian in a thobe once in a library many years ago ..he said he dressed that way cos he didnt see why muslims took over that way of dress when Isa (as) looked like that)

IslamicGirl24

Assalam-o-alaikum!

If you ask my opinion, Shalwar Kameez is the best dress for muslim men in Pakistan. it doesn't in any way, contradict Islam's teachings. All the ulema-e-Karam, Haffiz-e-Quran, Muftis wear Shalwar Kameez in Pakistan and I have never seen any scholar giving a Fatwa against the wearing of Shalwar Kameez. (as long as it is above the ankle)

As for women, the case is very simple:
When you are at home, infront of your brothers and Fathers, you can wear the Shalwar Kameez AND dupatta.
But when you are outside the house, you hace to wear the Abaya on top of the Shalwar Kameez. The reason is that, the Shalwar Kameez is sometimes of different colours and patterns which attracts attention.
Wassalam.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
:salam2: brother:

If you are talking about Women shalwar kameez ..then let me inform you that it contains the following.
1)shalwar 2) kamiz 3) dupatta or shawl

The combination of all those 3 is called shalwar kameez. And the shawl or dupatta is used to cover the whole top and the middle part of the female body (i am talking about big shawl) . If you go to northern parts of Pakistan, then you probably would know what i am talking about.

Hence to formulate an opinion that only one particular dress is considered ISLAMIC is unsuitable and we should refrain from it. The islamic codes of dressing are pretty clear. If any dress covers those aspect or rules then there is no harm in wearing that..

:salam2:

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Alhamdulillah I know what you are talking about. If anything, the people of the north have the best dress (in terms of modesty), compared to everywhere else I have been across the country. Yet like I said, the majority of shalwar kameez don't fulfill the criteria, even the plainer ones. And of course, there are more than one form of covering that are correct in Islaam. I didn't hint nor suggest that they are limited to one akhi. There are many types of covering worn by women from Africa to Indonesia which are suitable, but since the discussion is regarding the Shalwar Kameez, and `Abaayas across people from the sub-Indian continent I saw it fit to talk about the two.

Remember also that a woman's covering should be rather plain and dull, with little embroidery/patterns. For this reason, if you look across the Ummah, most women who cover correctly use colours such as black (which has its place in the sunnah), greys, navy blues and other dullish colours and shades. Even when I spent time in the Northern Areas, and NWFP I didn't see this sunnah being observed except by those who wore something over their shalwar kameez, such as a large enough chadar and an `abaayah or jilbaab or something else. And seldom do I see women wear absolutely plain or even dull, non-attentive, shalwar kameez.

However, some have told me how this has been the case in more recent times, due to the modernisation taking place in many towns and cities. But alhamdulillaah, the North seems more free from that, which is why I still like it up there (let alone the beauty of the land, maa shaa Allaah). But at the same time, many people are turning back to the religion and the way of the companions. Hence, seeing black and dark overgarments, whatever kind they may be is growing to be more popular.

And maa shaa Allaah, Al-Fajr you hit the mark with your posts. Even `Abaayahs are purely fashionable these days... all those patterns and really thin see-through materials? It's illogical and defeats the purpose. It's like protecting your self from the rain with a fishing net. It's making it harder for sisters to cover properly as even the `abaayah shops are slacking.

Was-salaam

helpinghumanity

:salam2: sister:

Could you tell me what was the difference between the clothes of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and Abu Jahal?

^ wa alaykum salam For example, in the sunnah we're not told specifically to wear an abayah or something are we? We have a criteria which our clothes should be according to, a number of cultures go about it in different ways (try to)

I wanted to make a point about this,

I have never met a non-believing woman wearing an abayah, but plenty of hindus and sikhs etc who dress in salwar kamees and the likes. And same with the thobe, its recognised muslim dress. (Actually I did meet a christian in a thobe once in a library many years ago ..he said he dressed that way cos he didnt see why muslims took over that way of dress when Isa (as) looked like that)

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
:salam2: sister:

Could you tell me what was the difference between the clothes of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and Abu Jahal?
Assalamu Alykum Warahmatullahe Wabarakaathuh Zahid Bhai. I don't mean any harm Bhai, but it kinda seemed as if you were a bit angry, the way that it seemed from reading your posts.

So anyway Bhai, if Baji isn't able to answer your question at the moment, then I will (defend my Big Sister :)).

If you REALLY want me to tell you the differance; Muhammad (SAW) and the Sahabi would use a strict code of dress. Not only is it about the quality of the clothes, but in other cases such as modesty. Such as the fact that men would make Tawaf around al Ka'bah naked during the time of Jahliyyah, but Rasulallah (SAW) and the Sahabi (RA) knew that it was disgusting, wrong, disrespectful, and repulsive to do such a thing. They would also have SO much shyness that they would get upset if they had their chest uncovered and their servants (especially if it was a female!) saw them, and when they would get out of their homes, they would cover their chest and body up properly.

And as regards to the differance between the clothes of Abu Jahl (the accursed) and that of Rasulallah (SAW), well; Abu Jahl would wear rich and high quality and high priced clothes to show of his "high status" and pride, while Rasulallah (SAW) was humble and, unlike Abu Jahl; he wasn't a show off, and so he would wear plain clothes, to let himself resemble the status of the middle to lower class, and the Sahabi (RA) would do the same, so that it stops them from thinking too much about the Duniyah and being greedy.

So anyway, it's late, and my hands are hurding. :p

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
^ :p JazakAllaah Khayr

There were certain criterias which had to be fulfilled by the muslims such as (for males) not allowing it to drag beneath the ankles because the mushrikeen would do this and it was a sign of arrogance. Our appearances should certainly be different, we've been told to 'Be opposite the disbelivers' I dont know the reference for that without looking it up, Ill find it later inshaAllaah. I dont know the differences specifically but I find it hard to believe that a man like Abu Jahl would have the same taste as our Prophet (s).

I was not saying its wrong to wear salwar kamees, if I was I would have to throw away 80% of my own clothes so ..Alhamdulillaah its not a problem to wear them in certain places, the nice thing about the thobe and abayah is that its exclusively 'muslim' thats all I was getting at with my post, so no need to be offended brother helpinghumanity, salwar kamees is nice as well.

wasalam

Abdulhalim

THOBE/ABAYA

Assalamo Alaikom Warahmatullahi Wa Barakatoho Brothers and Sisters.
In the Philippines Muslims are mixed...however, as a practicing Muslim, i think Thob and Abaya are comfortable and suitable. Since coming to Saudi Arabia, I used to wear thob, especially in attending gatherings. I found it more relaxed that wearing Pants and Shirts... Normally, thob is white which represents purity...

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Just to clarify, I too don't have a problem with the Shalwar Kameez. In fact I like them, a lot, but my use of them is limited. If I was back home, I probably wouldn't be wearing anything other than them but the thawb on the odd/less regular occasion. I for a surity wouldn't be wearing "Western clothes" I give you that. I can barely stand wearing them here (UK), unless they're totally baggy (my tees are from 3XL-6XL). Perhaps the best thing about the Shalwar Kameez is how baggy they are (for men). I still have to find bottoms wider than a Shalwaar(!) they can fit like 10 of me in them lol.

Same goes to womens Shalwar Kameez. If I had a problem, my wife's wardrobe would be empty (on a second thought, women will always somehow fill them up)! Shalwar Kameez are more suitable around the family (mahrams and women) than tight fitting western clothes; clothes of the kuffaar, but sadly some tailors deliberately tighten shalwar kameez now, even when you ask them not to...

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum wa'Rahmatullaah,

For the brothers, a good thread to refer to is below,

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33414

I only included the essential bits.

Personally, I wear Shalwaar Kameez nearly all of the time. I used to wear trousers and shirt but in prayers it reveals the awrah. So I wanted to stop wearing it and switched to Shalwaar Kameez. The problem then was the garment going below the ankles, only way I got around this was specifically specifying that the Shalwaar did not go bleow the ankles (when it was being made).

It feels more comfy and gives you some rest that you are following the way of the Prophet :saw:.

I see a lot of brothers wearing thobe, I don't think I have seen anyone wearing Shalwaar Kameez (in my age bracket) apart from the older people. I wore Thobe once but I found it very uncomfy so I stopped wearing it.

As long as the garment, in the case of the brothers, is modest, does not reveal awrah and the lower garment stays above the ankles, Insha'Allaah it should be okay. (Refer to the thread, the link is at the top).

Walaykum Salaam.

IslamicGirl24

Assalam-o-alikum brothers and sisters!

I wanted to ask you : "Whats a Thob?" I know you will be like this right now ("WHAT!you don't know about a thob!!!")... but seriously I have not seen it before OR maybe I think I have never seen it before. I just had a guess... Is it the dress that is worn by Arab men.. a robe-like garment????
JazakAllah Khair.
May Allah brings simplicity in our dresses. Ameen.
Fee eman illah
Wassalam.

Salem9022

thobe.jpg

this is a thobe, the long white dress for men which you see in saudi arabia, uae, etc.

MuslimShadow

Old thread but an interesting one.

I choose "All of them are good."It's sort of difficult to say which one's better these days. Shalwar kameez or abaya.

Well, i do like abayas very much but my mother thinks there's no need to wear them if shalwar kameez(with a long dupatta and head scarf) is worn properly.There's a difference of opinion in my home.My elder sister wears an abaya.

xAllahKnowsBestx

I'd say abaya 'cause it's the most convenient option out there. Shalwars are cool too, but many of them nowadays have crazy designs/sparkles and whatnot.

.. actually abayas do too, so I don't know.. I just prefer abayas.

oldhippie

me kaftan forever 2.jpg I like wearing dishdasha/thobe,I wear
them almost all the time and have been wearing them more and more
and after some thought I wish to vow to remain in dishdasha

Last edited: