Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don't Care

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

helpinghumanity

:salam2:

Any dress that covers the awra of a person whether male or female is Good.

Personally i started wearing the sherwani's (a type of shalwar kamiz) to college. But after there were too much, HI'S, BYE'S, ASSALAMO-ALAIKUM ...Waalaikumus salam....etc...so i restricted it (since last semester i didn't wore any :shymuslima1:) :SMILY149:

Amir_of_spain

I am an Indian muslim originally from Zanzibar. When i was young i used to wear the shawal kamise men style which most indians, pakistanis and bengalis traditionalists wear as shown. I did this as i wanted to stop wasting money and being extragent in buying western designer garments which i eventually through practising Islam felt was unecessary and a waste. Switching to the shawal kamise also helped me affirm my indian background however when i interacted with asian muslims community i.e. from the subcontinent both freshies and those living in London where i grew up, i realised i didn't share either their westernised mentality or from the so called practising brothers their extreme, wahabi/saudi like mentality. I realised i was different to them, most probably cause of my east africian roots and free thinking. Eventually after several visits to east africa and learning more about the sahaba, i switched to the throbe or jubba as i call it. It felt more elegant and pure, however i would not wear a turban with it or the black ring thing which saudis and emiratis use with it, as i don't want to be mistaken as a arab as ethinically i am indian. Nowadays i love wearing the jubba so much, my friends call me the rainbow shaike as i have a different color jubba for every day of the week.

Sister's should wear the abaya, and should refrain from wearing short sleeved brightly coloured shalwa kamise.

Having seen all the different type of throbes as ive brought many, my most favourite is the emirati one, however i do not wear it with any head gear etc. The most beautiful throbe i've seen is a golden colour one worn by sheikh mohammad, ruler of dubai, no doubt he got this one of a kind jubba speically made.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

A married woman is allowed to think her husband is sexy. That is a good thing in marriage. So go girl..enjoy that which has been given to you by Allah subhana talla.

Now, for the rest of you...for goodness sake does it matter. We are Muslims that live all over the world. As long as we abide by modesty and what is correct in Islam we are in the good.

Each one of you remember these words: Lower your gaze. There are more important issues to discuss.

BinteShafi

Left long ago
I am an Indian muslim originally from Zanzibar. When i was young i used to wear the shawal kamise men style which most indians, pakistanis and bengalis traditionalists wear as shown. I did this as i wanted to stop wasting money and being extragent in buying western designer garments which i eventually through practising Islam felt was unecessary and a waste. Switching to the shawal kamise also helped me affirm my indian background however when i interacted with asian muslims community i.e. from the subcontinent both freshies and those living in London where i grew up, i realised i didn't share either their westernised mentality or from the so called practising brothers their extreme, wahabi/saudi like mentality. I realised i was different to them, most probably cause of my east africian roots and free thinking. Eventually after several visits to east africa and learning more about the sahaba, i switched to the throbe or jubba as i call it. It felt more elegant and pure, however i would not wear a turban with it or the black ring thing which saudis and emiratis use with it, as i don't want to be mistaken as a arab as ethinically i am indian. Nowadays i love wearing the jubba so much, my friends call me the rainbow shaike as i have a different color jubba for every day of the week.

Sister's should wear the abaya, and should refrain from wearing short sleeved brightly coloured shalwa kamise.

Having seen all the different type of throbes as ive brought many, my most favourite is the emirati one, however i do not wear it with any head gear etc. The most beautiful throbe i've seen is a golden colour one worn by sheikh mohammad, ruler of dubai, no doubt he got this one of a kind jubba speically made.

Asslam u Alaikum brother,

I did not understand the meaning of words highlighted in red.

Does the sentence highlighted in orange means that Sahabas (RA) used to wear throbess or jubbas?

JazakAllah,

:wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
BinteShafi said:
Asslamu u Alaikum wr wb,

I am originally from Pakistan. I spent 24 years of my life there wearing shalwar Qameez Alhamdolillah. Dress posted in the first post do not represent our routine life dresses at all. I wore this kind of dress just once in 24 years that was wedding of my sister. These are "Really Heavy Dresses" worn on functions. We have got huge huge variety of styles, colors, prints, and fabric in Shalwar Qamiz. 95% of ladies buy un-stiched fabric (7 and half meters at least) from the market and stich them by themselves or get them stiched accrding to their own taste, beliefs, and personality. So it is very much upto the type of the person to make that dress Islamic or Unislamic. If we use 2 & 1/2 meter doppatta/shawl for what it is meant to be used, then it really gives you a peace of mind and sense of protection. (Though many ladies think that it is something to be put around their neck or on shoulders) This is the only dress, we Pakistani ladies have i.e, work dress, wedding dress, sleeping dress, masjid dress, market dress etc etc. So we get that shaped according to the event.

When I came to Australia, it was pretty amazing for me that in Masjids or musallahs, they have got extra abayas, scaves etc so that women can wear them before pray. I saw women wearing them before pray and then taking them off before leaving the masjid/pray room. In my opinion if you are outside of house then your normal dress should be of that kind in which you can offer your pray.

I think I should post photos of my Shalwar Qamiz I just love them. And if someone ask me what is most beloved to you. I would say "My EEMAN and my DOPATTA"

Wa Alaikum Salam,

^LoL BintShafi Baji, your post was funny :D "My Eman and my Dopatta" :lol:

If someone asked me what is most beloved to me, I would say "Allah and his Rasul (SAW)." :)

And also Baji, if you're Pushto (or even if you're Panjabi, it's alright :)D), but if you know about what I was talking about in my first post), can you also try to find a picture of those (LoL in Arabic, it's called a Qamees (with a swaad at the end). I don't understand were the "Kameez" or "Shelwar" came from :D) wheat colored clothes that Muslim brothers were in the Northlands (of Pakistan, the Tribal areas you know? Like Karachi...<Yay! my uncle's from Karachi :)).

Since (for two things; One:) you're from Pakistan, (two: you're a female) I think it'll be easier for you to find what I was talking about (since to also mention the fact that I had failed due to the fact that I could'nt go on a page were they said "Pakistani Men's Shelwar Kameez!" without having to find a whole page full of pictures of "young white girls" Gosh some girls seriously don't grow up! :rollseyes: All Praise is due to Allah Ta Alla that none of you Pakistani sisters here are like that, Mashallah sisters, because it takes extreme dedication in Islam to be pure from those evils, and that's what I see in many of you :) :ma:).

So anyway, I hope that I was able to put a smile on (almost ) everyone of your faces, Inshallah. :) I think the way little kids talk makes someone (older) to feel amused at their words, so Mashallah, I think that's another motive around why I like talking (as if I'm a little kid around all of you sisters especially) because I feel that many of you might smile at my words, which is a blessing in itself from Allah Azza Wajal Wa Ta Alla, Alhamdulillah! :)

So anyway Bajis, I think I've said everything that I wanted to say (and do what I wanted to do) :)

So:

khangul

your sister
my brother what images of shalwar kameez you showed us are
not for common people like us .thse are westernized by so called
trend setters.the origional shalwar qameez are so sober looking when
you wear it .but for outside of home it is necessary for women to wear abaya
to cover your whole body.

Idris16

Assalam aliekum

Honestly, masha'Allah, I think my husband is very sexy in his crispy, white dishdasha with ghatra (white thobe with the white headcovering)!

:)
May Allah save us from all kind of fitna Amiiiiiin

i like this ayah, Wa Qaatil luhum 7atta laa takuuna fitna wa yakun Ad-deenu kulluhu lillah. Al7amdulilah i found it quickly
وَقَاتِلُوهُمْ حَتَّىٰ لَا تَكُونَ فِتْنَةٌ وَيَكُونَ الدِّينُ كُلُّهُ لِلَّهِ ۚ فَإِنِ انتَهَوْا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ بِمَا يَعْمَلُونَ بَصِيرٌ ﴿٣٩)(39) And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do.

and please delete that. if u have something like that word please dont tell it in public keep it for urself.

Idris16

Salaam,
A married woman is allowed to think her husband is sexy. That is a good thing in marriage. So go girl..enjoy that which has been given to you by Allah subhana talla.
Who said we cant think our husband are ****??
We shouldn't say it in public, that's all.
Where's our 7ayaa?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

Any dress that covers the awra of a person whether male or female is Good.

Personally i started wearing the sherwani's (a type of shalwar kamiz) to college. But after there were too much, HI'S, BYE'S, ASSALAMO-ALAIKUM ...Waalaikumus salam....etc...so i restricted it (since last semester i didn't wore any :shymuslima1:) :SMILY149:

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Well if you look like you can afford to pay for a marriage everyday, then I can understand why!

Off topic, the Sherwani, although part of our culture, has its origins in Central Asia? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On topic. Shalwar Kameez seem a bit impractical for me. The Shalwar itself never gets worn, except to sleep. I find that they're too difficult to keep above the ankles, and perhaps too wide. A lot of brothers now only wear the Kameez/qamees with joggers or a tracksuit bottoms underneath.

Personally I prefer the Thawb. But because that looks too smart at times (like when I want to wear trainers), I prefer the Maghribi (Morrocan) Darr`iyyah.

As for sisters, then I don't see how wearing Shalwar Kameez with a Chadar (resembles a shawl) is sufficient much of the time. I have yet to see a simple enough Shalwar Kameez suit that is actually suitable to be worn outside of the home by Muslim women. It has been ages since I last saw one, and was definately back home somewhere. What many South Asian sisters do now is wear the `abaayah/jilbaab over their traditional clothing.

Salem9022

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Well if you look like you can afford to pay for a marriage everyday, then I can understand why!

Off topic, the Sherwani, although part of our culture, has its origins in Central Asia? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On topic. Shalwar Kameez seem a bit impractical for me. The Shalwar itself never gets worn, except to sleep. I find that they're too difficult to keep above the ankles, and perhaps too wide. A lot of brothers now only wear the Kameez/qamees with joggers or a tracksuit bottoms underneath.

Personally I prefer the Thawb. But because that looks too smart at times (like when I want to wear trainers), I prefer the Maghribi (Morrocan) Darr`iyyah.

As for sisters, then I don't see how wearing Shalwar Kameez with a Chadar (resembles a shawl) is sufficient much of the time. I have yet to see a simple enough Shalwar Kameez suit that is actually suitable to be worn outside of the home by Muslim women. It has been ages since I last saw one, and was definately back home somewhere. What many South Asian sisters do now is wear the `abaayah/jilbaab over their traditional clothing.

Yah thats true, thats why I opened this thread cause in the Masjid even though I attend a Hanafi masjid many pakistani, afghani etc, brothers switch to Thobes and the only people I see wearing the Salwaar Kameez are the older generation. Same thing with Sisters they wear the Abaya/Jilbab and the only sisters I see wearing the shalwar kameez are the older sisters. I only see south asian girls wear the shalwaar kameez when I go in a pakistani/afghani/indian restaurant or shop to buy something, and they only have the dupatta wrapped around their necks and not their heads, and like you said I don't know how someone could consider the shalwaar kameez especially for women as being suitable hijab clothing, cause it is meant to be colorful and bright and stylish, while the Hijab is suppose to do oppisite of that.

yeah also, I do see sisters wear the shalwaar kameez and color ful ones, and more revealing ones then the photos I showed you in the pic on Eid looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. subhan'Allah they go to the masjid 2 times a year for the 2 eids only and they wear that colorfull reddish shalwaar kameez with a small dupatta wrapped around their heads half way as if they did something Important. lol thats another time I see them wearing it in the masjid

helpinghumanity

As-salaamu `alaykum.

:salam2: brother

Ya you are right i can't afford to wear Sherwani every single day. I used to wear them like once in a month or 4 times in a semester. Even then i had to change my routes lol.

However sometimes its good coz others know that i am a Muslims. So they say :salam2:..To those whom i don't know mashallah i give them dawa to come to MSO OR WII.

On topic. Shalwar Kameez seem a bit impractical for me. The Shalwar itself never gets worn, except to sleep. I find that they're too difficult to keep above the ankles, and perhaps too wide.

Every body has its own opinion or choice. You may not like what i like or i may not like what you like. However we should still respect each others choice. I don't wear shalwar kamiz often but still i know that you can customize the shalwar or kamiz. If they are below you ankle then make them short. However its your choice NOT mine TO WEAR whatever you want too.

As for sisters, then I don't see how wearing Shalwar Kameez with a Chadar (resembles a shawl) is sufficient much of the time. I have yet to see a simple enough Shalwar Kameez suit that is actually suitable to be worn outside of the home by Muslim women.

Well for that i guess you are unaware of the REAL (not the westernized ones) clothes called "SHALWAR KAMIZ". Do know shalwar kamiz a little bit more to form your judgment of whether they are insufficient or sufficient to cover the awra.

LETS BE A LITTLE MORE BROAD MINDED

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
May Allah save us from all kind of fitna Amiiiiiin

i like this ayah, Wa Qaatil luhum 7atta laa takuuna fitna wa yakun Ad-deenu kulluhu lillah. Al7amdulilah i found it quickly
وَقَاتِلُوهُمْ حَتَّىٰ لَا تَكُونَ فِتْنَةٌ وَيَكُونَ الدِّينُ كُلُّهُ لِلَّهِ ۚ فَإِنِ انتَهَوْا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ بِمَا يَعْمَلُونَ بَصِيرٌ ﴿٣٩)(39) And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do.

and please delete that. if u have something like that word please dont tell it in public keep it for urself.

Alhmadulillah,I agree.

And regarding this thread in general,we all know the rules of Islamic clothing as for sisters so as brothers too,and we sisters know which is the only right way of wearing our hijabs.Praise to Allah.

May Allah bless you all.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Baarak Allaahu feeka akhi.

In fact, I'm aware of the other kinds or real Shalwar Kameez, but again, when worn alone without an additional covering, doesn't always fulfill the criteria of hijaab. I mean all those colours and patterns, when the point in hijaab is to cover a woman's adornment? The Sunnah of the Prophet sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, demonstrate that women's clothes outside of the home and in front of non-mahrams shouldn't be too showy, in terms of colours patterns as well as it being revealing and fitted. Unfortunately, many people don't realise this and not even half that criteria is fulfilled these days.

ummu thany

sister in islam
As-salaamu `alaykum.

In fact, I'm aware of the other kinds or real Shalwar Kameez, but again, when worn alone without an additional covering, doesn't always fulfill the criteria of hijaab. I mean all those colours and patterns, when the point in hijaab is to cover a woman's adornment? The Sunnah of the Prophet sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, demonstrate that women's clothes outside of the home and in front of non-mahrams shouldn't be too showy, in terms of colours patterns as well as it being revealing and fitted. Unfortunately, many people don't realise this and not even half that criteria is fulfilled these days.

Alhamdulillah. I am also agree with this because this a truth. very sad to say many people not realise the truth. May Allah (SWT) increase our knowledge in Islam. Ameen.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Well for that i guess you are unaware of the REAL (not the westernized ones) clothes called "SHALWAR KAMIZ". Do know shalwar kamiz a little bit more to form your judgment of whether they are insufficient or sufficient to cover the awra.
Tight clothing can still 'cover' the awrah, the point is shape of the body shouldn't be apparent. The way salwar kamees are made, if you see them cut from cloth itself and then sewn its very apparent from the way theyre even put together, that they are 'supposed' to be fitting to the point it nullifies hijab.

Even many abayas dont work when that distinction is made, its actually quite fasionable to wear tight abayahs and theyre widely available, tight ones with flashy designs are more available than simple plain black ones - its very silly.

salek

salwar kamiz is not a traditional islamic dress,

*Note*- I Would Prefer Opinions of South Asians(India,Pakistani, Bangladesh, Afghanistan)

Now we all know that muslims have their own culture and traditions which differs from country to country. For Instance Turkish Culture is Different from

assalamu alaikum.
thanks brother for your post. i am from bangladesh and as our culture is almost same specially we,from indian sub continent. you know, we are greately influenced by hindu culture in the sub continent cause our forefathers might have been hindus or buddhists. it's the blessings of Allah (swt) who sent those noble pious arab saints to the indian sub continent for preacing islam in this region. subhanallah, millions of people came to islam that changed the social cultural life of this area. but it's a matter of great regret and shame though we became muslim we couldn't give up the hindu culture. Mens' apparels are ok as it has no conflict to islam. but think about the women dressess~ the salwar- kamiz it's originally hindu dress, it can't meet any of the conditions of islamic dress, or morality. one of the main conditions are - it should cover the whole body, the dress should be loose enough not showing any form of the body. but look on salwar kamiz- it's as modern and open. so tight, chest is open like the dresses western women wear, i don't see any differnce. no offence to anyone. i know in my country,bangladesh, still a lot of muslim modern women wear this, but mostly they are non-practicing muslims. they don't care of islam, they are so called secular modern muslims like Turkish people. they are more close to india and indian culture, if they don't watch a hindi film a day they feel they are missing something, and they can't sleep. but one thing that's important ~ before the women they used to wear a "urna" a piece of cloth to cover the chest in kamiz . i think that was good. at least looks modest but nowadays,women they don't do that like the dresses you exhibited here in the pictures. those are bollywood culture. An indian hindu women can be proud of this cause it's their original culture but what about us? it can't be the muslim dress. May Allah save us and forgive us. no offence offcource, brother, as you know we are from the same region and same roots.

salek

i am agree with you my neice

i'm half bengali, born and brought up in UK so I hope my opinions count.

i don't think its suitable for a women to wear kameez outside in the first place. its best if every muslim woman wears burka/abaya/jilbab when they go out, even if its in the garden or balcony :SMILY149:

as for thobe, i think it suits evey muslim man :SMILY126:

dear niece, assalamu alaikum. as a full bengali i am proud of you . you are on the way of following the true islam. May Allah increse your iman and show you the right path (ameen)

one of your uncle

helpinghumanity

Even many abayas dont work when that distinction is made, its actually quite fasionable to wear tight abayahs and theyre widely available, tight ones with flashy designs are more available than simple plain black ones - its very silly.

Exactly sister ....Mashallah you have provided a solid reason.

It doesnot matter what kind of clothing we wear whether shalwar kamiz or abaya or Jeans or my fav one ..sherwani.:SMILY288:.lol..All it matter is whether these clothes covers the awra of a person + it follows the teaching of islam.

SO if it does cover the above two condition then there is no argument on that.

Unfortunately some people try to modify their clothes to fit-in in their society. Some time they sew it too tight (i am talking about all kinda of dress whether shalwar kamiz or jilbab or jean etc) or too little to cover their awra. In this case it is the fault of the person not the CLOTHES.

Hence due to inappropriate styles of some people we can't or should not formulate an opinion that criticize a particular dress.

helpinghumanity

As-salaamu `alaykum.

In fact, I'm aware of the other kinds or real Shalwar Kameez, but again, when worn alone without an additional covering, doesn't always fulfill the criteria of hijaab.

:salam2: brother:

If you are talking about Women shalwar kameez ..then let me inform you that it contains the following.
1)shalwar 2) kamiz 3) dupatta or shawl

The combination of all those 3 is called shalwar kameez. And the shawl or dupatta is used to cover the whole top and the middle part of the female body (i am talking about big shawl) . If you go to northern parts of Pakistan, then you probably would know what i am talking about.

Hence to formulate an opinion that only one particular dress is considered ISLAMIC is unsuitable and we should refrain from it. The islamic codes of dressing are pretty clear. If any dress covers those aspect or rules then there is no harm in wearing that..

iqzero

AsSalaamu Al3iy'kum

I don't understand.
Why are we not referring to the matter of dress to the prophets salallahu al3'y wassalam and the salaf as saliheen when we take everything else from them?
Since when did it matter our opinions on dress codes for muslims be it a woman or man?