"So...what religion are you?"

JD19

I get this question all the time and I always say "Im a believer of God"... I wanna say im Muslim BUT I dont think its right to tell people my religion when my own famly doesnt know yet... anyone else here agree? Why should I tell friends and strangers when my family should be the first to know... its not fair to them.

ehsan

:salam2:

well i think u have a point. If u tell others , somehow ur family will get the news. So its better u let ur family know this that u have choosen the right path. asap:wasalam:

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

It is your choice on who to tell first. I was fortunate enough to have a supporting dad and a few other relatives. I told my friends first of course because they were around when my interest in Islam peaked. The next day though I called my dad. It helps to tell one person in your family you trust.

I used to be scared to tell people I was Muslim, but then one day I threw on the hijab in the middle of the semester because I am proud of my love for Allah (swt). I used to tell people that "I believe in the oneness of God" and that usually pacified peoples' minds. I am not afraid anymore because I fear Allah (swt) more than a person's misconceptions. I find that people who knew me before I reverted like me more now that I am a Muslimah.

I guess it would be different if you lived in a small town and there would be a fear of being thrown out of your family. It is your choice who you tell, but the day where you can scream out to people you are Muslim and not feel "ashamed" will be a beautiful day InshaAllah. Well I am gonna stop rambling on, but I will make du'a and pray that Allah (swt) will make it easy for you.

:wasalam:
Sarah

BGfromGB

Don't be scared

I get this question all the time and I always say "Im a believer of God"... I wanna say im Muslim BUT I dont think its right to tell people my religion when my own famly doesnt know yet... anyone else here agree? Why should I tell friends and strangers when my family should be the first to know... its not fair to them.
If you believe in God, then tell the whole world about it if they want to know. There is no harm in that. I've told people of my belief. I've experienced no antagonists. Although I must say that i do experience problems when it comes to the Sabbath. Especially my immediate family. The Sabbath has become such a debateable issue with my family that is is the only area where I experience some degree of antagonism. But one thing they do respect is that I devote the entire day to my family and my family alone even to the point that they wish to share that special day with us. I enjoy watching sport and when invited to a friends house on a Saturday to watch and when I decline, I give my reasons. They do think I'm a bit crazy. But funnily enough they do some how respect it.

I say stand up for the Almighty. What people may think is of no consequence.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
when invited to a friends house on a Saturday to watch and when I decline, I give my reasons. They do think I'm a bit crazy. But funnily enough they do some how respect it

Hello BGfromGB!

I vaguely remember from one of your posts where you said that religion is a man made thing. Believing in one universal God is enough.

How come you exchanged the religion of your family with Judaism and caused some friction within your family?
Please expalin.

Thank you

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

It just depends who you feel more comfortable telling, it's not like people will never know the chioce you made, telling someone whose more accepting of your conversion can help give you strength in telling someone whose not so accepting of your conversion

JD19

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes.

This will be my first Ramadan as a Muslim. It turns out that my parents are moving in to the apt right above me. Im sure they will come to know im fasting... they'll then maybe get the idea...

My mom knows how much interest I have in Islam. She just doenst know that I have officially chosen that path.

zakiyah

muslim sis
salam.mashallah.thats gr8 news ur fasting this year and for the first time.mashallah.
wa salam.

BGfromGB

What is my "religion" - I don't know

Hello BGfromGB!

I vaguely remember from one of your posts where you said that religion is a man made thing. Believing in one universal God is enough.

How come you exchanged the religion of your family with Judaism and caused some friction within your family?
Please expalin.

Thank you
Hi Bawar. Thanks for your post.

Yes I do believe religion is man made. I have not converted to Judaism either. All i do is study the scriptures and follow what it teaches. Observing the Sabbath is one of those commandments I follow. I do not believe in Christmas. It is pagan based. I do not believe in the Trinity as the scriptures do not teach us this. But I believe that Yeshua(Jesus) is the son of God manifest in hiuman form. Although the scriptures don't specifically say this, there are clear and unambiguous pointers that that indicate this. Yeshua himself said this. I have no reason to believe he is lying.

The friction I experience with my family is that i no longer eat at their house. The reason is that I've gone kosher. But thank the Almighty they do not hate me - they just seen to be put out by me changing from christianity to a "religion" without a name. They do however accept many things I now believe especially the pagan christmas. But we differ on the issue of the Trinity.

Rawa

salam

Dear,

Al-salamu Alaikum,

This is a fcat that you have some friends that know almost everything about you while your faimly do not know everything about you. If those friends of you know that you are a muslim now, it does not hurt. Apart from this limited number of friends, your family should be the first one who know about your new faith.
How to tell your famly:
Try to hange your behaviour at home positively. Love them more than you did before, respect them more than you did before, help them more than you did before. Then you will be notable at home and they ask you why you have become someone else, of course better than before? Explain to them that you want to be a good man and to be a good one, it requires you be helpful, respectful, etc. Choose your mum the first one to tell about your new faith. Of course when the others are absent. Do not tell her:"Mum! I have become a Muslim!" But rather gently explain to her that in Islam mums are very much respected. Tell a hadith like:"The paradise laid beneath the feet of the mothers." Then you can open her heart to accept you with your new faith, since you have changed positively, you are talking about what is good for her, for everybody. This is really a critical moment, get ready for this moment. It will be a part of your history; the time you announce your convert to the most lovable member of your famiy. It is really wonderful! Please be kind and patient, expect any kind of reaction, whatever reaction they may have lasts for one hour, after that you will successfully pass this test, inshaAllah. Do not be afraid at all, you converted to Islam that gives you dignity, you should be proud of it. On the other hand none is worth fearing, but Allah.

I will be extremly happy if I hear from you that now you've announced your being a muslima.

Wish you all the best
Rawa, UK

Sophie

The one question I get so often is:"What country are you from?" because I cover completely they automatically assume that since I am obviously Muslim,that I must be from an Arab country. I think people in America believe that most Muslim's come from outside America to live here. They almost seem angry when I tell them I was born and raised in California,as were my parents and grandparents before me. Once I was sitting in a hospital waiting room and was chatting with the older couple seated next to me. They seemed so nice until they caught a glimpse of a photo I had on my car key ring of my husbands picture..then their attitude changed towards me completely.(My husband is Arab):hijabi:

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
The one question I get so often is:"What country are you from?" because I cover completely they automatically assume that since I am obviously Muslim,that I must be from an Arab country. I think people in America believe that most Muslim's come from outside America to live here. They almost seem angry when I tell them I was born and raised in California,as were my parents and grandparents before me. Once I was sitting in a hospital waiting room and was chatting with the older couple seated next to me. They seemed so nice until they caught a glimpse of a photo I had on my car key ring of my husbands picture..then their attitude changed towards me completely.(My husband is Arab):hijabi:

mashAllah sis, you are lucky. Today I did wear my hijab....I had more people starring at me than when I don't wear hijab. Today on the bus this one guy couldn't stop gawking at me and my husband, my husband just stared back and mumbled obsenities at him, while I did the same :( :astag: . I seem to confuse the Muslims and non Muslims, they can't quite figure me out. I was wearing a simple black hijab, how can people not get it?? Well I do have to say I did have more confidence as a Muslim when I'm wearing my hijab, but the stares from BOTH muslims and non muslims were just over the top. Yes very white people can be Muslim too, arg.

kayleigh

I don't get asked that a lot, probably because everyone assumes I'm an atheist or Christian (I often do get people assuming I'm an atheist, actually, which is weird). I'll answer if asked directly, but seeing as religion is a personal thing I prefer not to "flaunt" it. But I do get weird looks when people find out that I'm Muslim, and lots of strange looks from Muslim women if I say my salaams to them in public.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i'm glad that you have embraced islam :ma: however i don't think it matters if you tell your family first. keep in mind that you have spent your whole life looking for the truth. and you found the truth in islam, share that truth. even if your family will not like it, you have to go with the truth, and you should share the knowledge of the truth. for me, personally i couldn't even think of dying not being a musim. each and every muslim has an obligation just to inform the non muslims about the truth in islam, not to convert them neccessarily but just to inform them.

my advice is not to hold off telling them for too long. the reason why i say this is because when people hold it off, they're not able to perform their daily duties as muslims. not able to perform salat, because you haven't told them that you need that quiet time. not fasting because your family is calling you to the kitchen table, and you haven't told them that you're fasting etc.

may Allah SWT give you the strength to tell your family and friends about your embrace of islam, so you can publicly tell the world that you are a muslim and proud.

Undertaker

The one question I get so often is:"What country are you from?" because I cover completely they automatically assume that since I am obviously Muslim,that I must be from an Arab country.
Thats another of misconception that people in west have about Islam.Sister,every muslim(born outside america) is not an arab.The countries like Iran,Pakistan,India,Bangladesh,Indonesia,Malaysia etc are not arab countiries yet the combined total total number of muslims living in these countries is more than a quarter billion!

Sophie

Thats another of misconception that people in west have about Islam.Sister,every muslim(born outside america) is not an arab.The countries like Iran,Pakistan,India,Bangladesh,Indonesia,Malaysia etc are not arab countiries yet the combined total total number of muslims living in these countries is more than a quarter billion!
:salam2: :hijabi: You know that,and I know that..I think why so many non-Muslim American's believe with all of their hearts that most Muslim's are Arab is because that is what they see on television. I always' answer any of their questions regarding how I came to Islam when they ask.Curiosity is a good thing,inshalallah their curiosity will lead them to the right path.:tti_sister: Alhamdulilah,Islam is not a 'race'..though so many uneducated here believe it to be.:ma: more and more American's are understanding and reverting to Islam. Please forgive that I don't always write in Arabic. I can speak it,but am shy to write it,nervous that I will write it incorrectly:shymuslima1: