:The Glamorised Hijab:

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

In April 2007 during my tour to Egypt,I was returning from Alexandria to Cairo by the train. At the seat just ahead of mine some youths were sitting from both the genders and apparently college students. The whole boogie was echoing with their laughter spurting after pause of every few seconds. Curiously I took a look at this rejoicing group.

It was a freely mingling group. The young girls were dressed with Jeans and full sleeved tops completely encircling the neck with no void left. Both jeans and tops were extremely tight fit,clearly giving figure impressions. The most important thing of which I took the notice from the girls was ''The Glamorised Hijabs". To the point,from no dimension it seemed that the Hijbas these girls overlapped round their head and neck were as a part of religious commandments. These Hijabs were more to rectify beauty of their faces. Hijab is a medium to guard some physical aspects of a girl/woman. But those lustrous Hijabs with beautiful handwork,embroideries and sequences,wrapped round in vivid patterns do not serve the desired functions. They rather snatch the eyesight of opposite gender to be lodged at the point of attraction.

Apparently,I think in a low moderate per capita income Islamic country like Egypt glamorised Hijab is cheap source to invest than in Gilbab or Abaya to rectify and amplify the beauty of woman. The task which is under religious commandment may be carried out with a simple piece of cloth. Simply the Hijab has to arable,thin and compatible with local weather conditions.

Most of sisters would break on me,I think.

Regards.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

Is there not a hadeeth that backs up the point you are raising? We, sisters, have to make decisions on how we are going to practice our faith. We left behind the world of glamour and high fashion by choice.

So, no brother, no sister can argue with you. We can when we are in the company of sisters choose to have a little glamour but, it must be private.

Ahsen

Hijab must be of the full body,not just the head.The intention is not to "censored" of non mahrams but some girls think that "just cover your hair".

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Alhadmulilah as Muslims we know that Hijab is order from Allah for us Muslimahs,and that Hijab like order of Allah has its rules which must be follow to be accepted from Allah Inshallah.

But dear brother as young Muslimah, I may understand the feelings of these sisters, because although one may be a devout Muslimah Alhadmulillah,it is very hard to not fall under any influence of society,and maybe these sisters also feel under presure of diffrent infuences from West or infulences from thier own country. Alhamdulilah that is not a complete justification, but I know with my own feelings that this may be one of the reason. And Allah always knows the best.

Also one of the reasons may be that it is very hard to get job ( especially for Muslim sisters who live in West and not in Muslim countries) if they are wearing Hijab with strict Islamic rules, like for example wearing Abaya and Hijab. That is why for example many Muslim sisters in West do not wear abayas , but Alhadmulillah they are still covering their heads and are wearing modest cloth.

I used to wear before always abaya and always strict Hijab Alhadmulilah, but although I am not wearing anymore always abaya as it is very hard in non Muslim country, I still wear Hijab on the correct,Islamic and modest way and I will Inshallah always wear Hijab for the sake of Allah.

And Allah knows the best.

May Allah guide us all to the right path. Ameen ya Rabb

:wasalam:

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

Thanks Dear Aapa,very correctly quoted. Sis,Asja I appreciate your response.

To add more,it is inherent human tendency to beautify almost everything. No one can escape this basic instinct.

Life of our Prophet (SAW) is best example of simplistic way of life. Shouldn't we pick this message from His (SAW)'s seerah? Last few pages from Seerah (The Sealed Nectar) of Muhammad (SAW) are extraordinary in this context,specially His (SAW)'s death bed speaks off a giant message to extravagant.

Life with surrender to luxury and beauty is not compatible with Islam. Our Deen demands from us a beautiful and pious heart with utmost submission to Allah (SWT).

Regards.

lovefordeen

Assalamu Alaikum:

Thanks Dear Aapa,very correctly quoted. Sis,Asja I appreciate your response.

To add more,it is inherent human tendency to beautify almost everything. No one can escape this basic instinct.

Life of our Prophet (SAW) is best example of simplistic way of life. Shouldn't we pick this message from His (SAW)'s seerah? Last few pages from Seerah (The Sealed Nectar) of Muhammad (SAW) are extraordinary in this context,specially His (SAW)'s death bed speaks off a giant message to extravagant.

Life with surrender to luxury and beauty is not compatible with Islam. Our Deen demands from us a beautiful and pious heart with utmost submission to Allah (SWT).

Regards.

wa'alaikum assalaam

what do you mean by this regarding the hijab...plz i didn't get you...

strive-may-i

Hijab must be of the full body,not just the head.The intention is not to "censored" of non mahrams but some girls think that "just cover your hair".

Yes cover your hair, might be their perspective. Lesser evil....

I guess all you are trying to tell is, that it does make one want to take a second look. The question to ask self first is, why do I tend to take a second look...'? Points worthy of pondering, for every male ... :)

a_stranger

:salam2:

I think it is a true trail for a young girl to wear the correct higab which cover her beauty and make her less attractive than other girls . This need a sincere strong faith to accept to be less attractive....it need faith........but when the muslem girl feel the beauty and sweatness of faith within her heart things will be easier.....I am very much surprised how they consider wearing jeans with higab .....higab should be loose and not revealing . I pray that Allah guide us to defeat our ownselves. :tti_sister:

lovefordeen

I think it is a true trail for a young girl to wear the correct higab which cover her beauty and make her less attractive than other girls . This need a sincere strong faith to accept to be less attractive....it need faith........but when the muslem girl feel the beauty and sweatness of faith within her heart things will be easier.....I am very much surprised how they consider wearing jeans with higab .....higab should be loose and not revealing . I pray that Allah guide us to defeat our ownselves. :tti_sister:

wa'alaikum assalaam

masha'Allah,well said dear sister

a_stranger

:wasalam:

AlahamduliAllah who showed us his way .......may Allah keep faith firm in our hearts till we meat him and open hearts of his servants to test the beauty of faith.

louise_soso

assalam alaykum

i agree with you.

however in islam we are aloud to have nice clothing look clean tidy and stylish but in a modest way.

for example wearing a long coat with a nice hijab and nice shoes theres nothing wrong with that

the only problem is when you start showing ur body shape of the shape of ur hair under your hijab

i have not always wore the hijab but i have covered my body fully the shape of my body could not be seen
this is due to wear i live my area is non muslim
however when i get the chance to wear hijab or niqab i love it and wear it simple but elegent .i think as a muslim its good for us to look respectable

these young girls that wear thier hijab this way are in a struggle and inshallah they will sooon realise
but sometimes it takes them time teenagers are at thier years when confussion is high and they "know the world" LOL

all we can do is pray for them and try to atleast get them too understand the benifits of covering thier body .

the hijab situation and makeup will come with time.

some girls wear makeup to cover thier skin problems this in my opionion is fine
its only when girls wear eye makeup or lip makeup to bring out thier facial features .

and the hijab well if thier hair is covered and thier neck then i guess its thier preference what style they wish to wear.

lovefordeen

assalaamu alaikum

dear sister,i think ihave mad a big mistake here...asthagfirulah...sorry for encouraging you...it suddenly came to my mind that we are not to judge anyone..i am not saying jeans and hijab is right...but what if Allah finds them better than us...shaytan made me forget...sorry for encouraging you dear sister,but i think i made a big mistake in judging those girls...asthagfirulah...it's upto Allah to judge them..they are our muslim sisters...

but we can stand for right and forbidding evil..tight jeans and hijab is not a right way of dressing...

assalaamu alaikum

a_stranger

Thank you sister, true........... we should not judge any one Allah is the only judge ......may Allah forgive us all......we should advice and tell how should hijab should be that is all. I invite all our dear sister to study how a hijab should be .

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Interesting topic brother, this is something very prevalent today not only in Egypt but everywhere. If possible I want to walk on the street with my eyes close to avoid seeing girls head covered but wear tight clothing from their neck downward. I used to call them baseball jersey. I think many misunderstood the requirement, "hijab means cover your head". I'm happy that so far no TTI sisters seem to be offended with this thread, well done. If I ever talk the same issue to the girls here, including married ladies, most likely one of the girl will throw a brick on me. However, alhamdulillah, past few years I'm seeing more girls are wearing abaya in M'sia. It is no longer a strange clothing, many years ago when a girl wear abaya another girl will ask her "are you ustazah?". My wife was asked the same many times. The change happen post Sept 11, US strict and barbaric immigration check flock the Arabs tourist to come to M'sia in large numbers (this is what the tourism industry here believe). Among them, Arab sisters mostly come with their abaya. I think, this is how the sisters here were influenced indirectly. Now I can see more shops selling abaya compared to those day. Having said that, hijab for women not necessarily abaya. It can be modern dress or traditional costume like we have in M'sia so long it meet the requirement i.e no tight clothing and do not resemble other faith. It should not strike brothers from the distance. If the costume look glamorous, it will actually defeat the purpose of wearing hijab regardless it is abaya or other acceptable costumes.

I think the change must start from the city. The Prophet's (blessings and peace be upon him) dawah started from Makkah and then Madinah. When these two cities were captured, Islam spread quickly to almost the whole of Arabic jazirah, mashAllah. If sisters in the city wear abaya or hijab that confirm with Islamic dress code, I think sisters in the village and other places will feel shame with their peers in the city. Likewise, the sisters in the west should make precedent, if you wear abaya or proper hijab in non Islamic state the sisters in the in the Islamic states should feel shame for not in proper hijab when their peers in the west are wearing proper hijab.

In fact, the change should start from your home. Husbands play major role here. Remember, the Quran reminded us in At-Tahrim (chapter no 6 verse number 66). We should use our "veto" power towards our women at home if necessary. No free style dressing outside.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. The above are just my views.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Not only is this not right hijab, but they are serving as role models for reverts who are new to Islam or maybe have had no introduction to Islam and think this is correct.

When I first reverted, I thought a short sleeve t-shirt was okay. Why? Because this is what I saw. And my friend who wears Niqab was like "no, no, you must cover your arms, etc"

I dont see the point in beautifying ones self when in a state of hijab knowing the reason BEHIND hijab. But I know a lot of women do it. Since I've been going to the Masjid now, I see this. Wearing make up, wearing high heels, wearing jingly anklets...Allahu alim and may allah guide us all to the right path before its too late.

a_stranger

To be a good muslema we have to fight our ownselves ....it is natural that women like to be attractive , but for the sake of Allah she should fight this tendency. When she feel the purity within her heart then things will be easier.