Very very important and urgent question

daywalker

Assalamualaikum As for as standing is concerned same question was asked to scholars of standing committee for issuing fatwas and they said that it is not permissible and the students should not obey the teacher if he tells them to do so.You can check on www.islamqa.com/en/ref/121635 and Allah knows best .

how can you compair with fatwa and hadith? did you even read from where the hadith has been quoted and who gave the explaination of the hadith ? even in the hadith says:

قوموا لسيدكم

“Stand up for your chief.”

and imam muslim(rh) says “I don’t know of a more authentic hadith regarding one man’s standing for another. This standing is out of politeness (birr), not magnification (ta`dhim).”

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
how can you compair with fatwa and hadith? did you even read from where the hadith has been quoted and who gave the explaination of the hadith ? even in the hadith says:

قوموا لسيدكم

“Stand up for your chief.”

and imam muslim(rh) says “I don’t know of a more authentic hadith regarding one man’s standing for another. This standing is out of politeness (birr), not magnification (ta`dhim).”

:salam2:

The brother is right...

I've been looking up information on the subject pretty much since I made my 2nd post here..as it bothered me a little that standing up for an elderly or a guest coming into my house to greet him or her...would be a matter that is wrong or forbidden...something about that didn't make sense after I thought deeply about it...

And I found that standing up as a sign of respect and manners is accepted...and it is actually a *Sunnah* to get up..walk towards..shake the hands..and sit your guest down in the most proper of places...

But for example you can't make a *standing ovation*...or stand up in magnification of someone and such...as these are situations where it would be emulating the non-Muslims..and of course that is not accepted for us Muslims...

My sources were explanations made by Al-Nawawi..and Ibn Baz regarding this topic...

I *still* recommend asking a shaikh about the scenario I raised however...so the matter can be crystal-clear...in case someone still has doubts...

:wasalam:

yameenahmed

a good question infact no need to comment against i dont want to reply because daywalker has responsed it to maximum extent

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
a good question infact no need to comment against i dont want to reply because daywalker has responsed it to maximum extent

I don't think standing committees position is wrong, they wouldn't give merely their opinion without reliable hadeeth.

Al-Tirmidhi (2754) narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “No person was dearer to them than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). When they saw him, they did not stand up, because they knew that he disliked that.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

The example brother Daywalker gave is exception to the rule considering it was a formal occasion and an occasion of great magnitude. [Delivering the punishment on Banu Qurayzah]

Then once again, as you can see the Prophet SAW did not forbade us from standing, he disliked it but did not forbade.

I personally don't think it's a big deal to stand up for the teacher or not to stand up, Alhamdulilah we don't have to face this in USA.

malickabrother

save Palestine!
Assalamualaikum I come from india occupied kashmir and i am doing B.Tech.Today in the class as the teacher entered he noticed that except me everyone stood up so he told everyone to sit and made me to stand and tell the reason of not standing. I said that it is not allowed in islam.So he said that it has been the trend to stand and if i dont follow it i will be detained and furthermore he abused me a lot infront of whole class.So what should i do now i am very depressed right now and not able to concentrate on anything.
:salam2: brother,well I don't know the reason why your classmates stand up for your teacher but for me we did to our teachers only for respect and there were no signs of associating or things like that

yusuf_pal

We should judge every situation within its own circumstance. For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said to his companions: “Do not stand for me the way the Persians do with their kings.”

At the same time, it is reported that he asked his companions to stand up for Sa`d ibn Mu`adh saying: “Stand up for your leader.”

The difference between the two narrations is that in the first case people used to worship and adore their kings, in which case the Prophet blocked avenues that would mean any sense of worship to other than Allah.

On the other hand, Sa`d (may Allah be pleased with him) was brought injured (in the battle of the Trench) to the Prophet, so the Prophet wanted to honor him and boost his morale. So the difference is in the circumstances that surrounded each case."

Actions are based on intentions.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

A man came in when I was in a gathering, and the people present stood up for him, but I did not stand up. Do I have to stand up? Is there any sin on those who did stand up?

Praise be to Allaah.

You do not have to stand up for someone who comes in, but it is good manners, if someone stands up for you, to shake his hand, especially the head of the household and prominent people. This is the matter of good manners. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood up for Faatimah, and she stood up for him, may Allaah be pleased with her. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) stood up, on the Prophet’s command, for Sa’d ibn Mu’aadh when he came to pass judgement on Bani Qurayzah. Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) stood up in front of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when Ka’b ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) came after Allaah had accepted his repentance; he shook his hand and congratulated him, then sat down. This is the matter of good manners and this is broad issue. What is denouncable is when people stand up and remain standing by way of veneration. But if a person stands up to welcome his guest and honour him, or to shake hands with him or greet him, this is something which is prescribed in Islam. But to remain standing when people are sitting by way of veneration, or standing at the door without greeting anyone or shaking hands with anyone, this should not be done. Even worse than that is standing up to venerate a person when he is sitting down, not for the sake of guarding him but only for the purpose of veneration.

There are three kinds of standing up, as the scholars said :

(1) When people stand up for someone to venerate him when he is sitting down, as the Persians venerated their kings and leaders, as described by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This is not permitted, and for this reason the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told them to sit down when he led them in prayer sitting down. He told them to sit down and to pray behind him seated, and when they stood up he said, “You almost venerated me like the Persians venerate their leaders.”

(2) When a person stands up when another person comes in or goes out, without greeting him or shaking hands with him, rather simply in order to venerate him. This at the very least is makrooh. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) used not to stand up for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he came in to them, because they knew that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disliked that.

(3) When a person stands up for someone who has come in, in order to shake his hand or to take his hand and lead him to a seat, etc. There is nothing wrong with that, rather it is the Sunnah as mentioned above.

Kitaab Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 4, p. 394

IslamQA

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
salam

i saw a hadith relevant to the discussion

Prophet said: "Let him who likes people to stand up before him prepare his place in Hell" Dawud 41.5210

so according to me, what u did was absolutely right. May Allah strengthen u. You may approach ur professor and try to explain it to him/her...

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

With regard to standing up for who comes in, Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah gave a detailed answer to this question, based on shar’i evidence, which we think should be quoted because it serves the purpose. He said:

It was not the custom of the salaf at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Rightly-Guided Caliphs to stand up every time they saw him [the Prophet] (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as many people do. Rather Anas ibn Maalik said: “No person was dearer to them than the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but when they saw him they did not stand up for him because they knew that he disliked that.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2754; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. But they may have stood up for one who was returning from away, in order to greet him, as it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood up for ‘Ikrimah, and he said to the Ansaar when Sa’d ibn Mu’aadh came: “Stand up for your chief.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3043; Muslim, 1768. That was when he [Sa’d] came to pass judgement on Banu Qurayzah, because they said that would accept his verdict.

What people should do is get accustomed to following the salaf in their customs at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), for they are the best of generations and the best of speech is the Word of Allaah, and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). No one should turn away from the guidance of the best of mankind and the guidance of the best of generations and follow something that is inferior to it. And the chief or leader should not approve of that among his companions, so that when they see him they should not stand up for him, rather they should simply greet him in the usual manner.

With regard to standing up for one who has come from a journey and the like, to greet him, that is fine. If it is the custom of the people to honour one who comes by standing up for him, and if that may make him feel insulted if they do not do it, and he does not know the custom that is in accordance with the Sunnah, then it is better to stand up for him, because that will create a good relationship between them and will remove rancour and hatred. But if a person is familiar with the custom of some people that is in accordance with the Sunnah, not doing that will not offend him.

Standing up for a newcomer is not the standing mentioned in the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever likes the people to stand up for him, let him take his place in Hell.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2755; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. That refers to when they stand up for him when he is seated; it does not refer to when they stand up to welcome him when he comes. Hence the scholars differentiated between the two types of standing, because those who stand up to greet a newcomer are equal with him, unlike those who stand for one who remains seated.

It was proven in Saheeh Muslim that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led them in prayer sitting down, because he was ill, and they prayed standing, he told them to sit down and said: “Do not venerate me as the Persians venerate one another.” And he forbade them to stand in prayer whilst he was sitting, lest they resemble the Persians who used to stand for their leaders whilst the leaders were seated. In conclusion, the best is to follow the customs and attitude and views of the salaf as much as possible.

If a person does not believe in that and is not familiar with this custom, and if not dealing with him in the manner in which people are accustomed to showing respect will lead to a greater evil, then we should ward off the greater of two evils by doing the lesser of them, and do that which serves a greater interest at the expense that which serves the lesser interest.

End quote from Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah.

What will make this clearer is the report narrated in al-Saheehayn concerning the story of Ka’b ibn Maalik, when Allaah accepted his repentance and that of his two companions (may Allaah be pleased with them all), in which it says that when Ka’b entered the mosque, Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah stood up, ran to him and greeted him, and congratulated him on Allaah’s forgiveness, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not denounce that. This indicates that it is permissible to stand up for someone who comes in, and to shake his hand and greet him. Similar to this is the report that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon his daughter Faatimah, she would stand up for him and take his hand, and make him sit in her place. And when she entered upon him, he would take her hand and make her sit in his place. Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi.

Umm Ismael

Brother Nayyararsi... Question for you. Have you totally secured observing every major obligatory action in Islam to the T ??? To convey my question clearly I'll give you an example. Have you for instance not missed any of your prayers and performed them exactly right on time in the past week?? If your answer is yes, then I have no problem in giving you the green light in refusing to stand up for your teacher when he enters the classroom. If your answer is no (or a shakey yes even), then I say you may need to rethink your position on this matter.

Asselemou Alaikum oua rahmatou Allah oua baraketouhou,

Jezeka Allah khair brother Nayyararsi for this question.

Regarding to the post quoted, I think that every muslim should ask about any detail in his life whatever it is "important" or "not". And when people used to come to ask Irassoul Salla Alyhi oua sellim for any "detail" .He salla Allahou 3alayhi oua sellem, wasn't used to tell them" Have you totally secured observing the major obligations? If you are at ease with your first obligations so come back then and i will reply to you"

Subhana Allah, irrassoul salla Allahou 3alayhi oua sellim was used to answer to all people whatever the "importance" of the question.

For brother Nayyararsi, Meche Allah, the most important is that you did something with the purpose behind is respecting our Deen, Il Islam in every detail we learn.

To be honest, i did that 7 years ago when i was at the high school when i read too Al-Tirmidhi (2754) narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “No person was dearer to them than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). When they saw him, they did not stand up, because they knew that he disliked that.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi..

The phylosophy professor wasnt happy of course with the fact that i didnt stand up, and in front of all, they just told me that i didnt respect him..
I just said: yes, i do respect you, as you are my professor first and second a very smart person. But standing up is not the only way to show our respect we just got used to do it by habit and the reason why i didnt do it today: is what i heard about Al-Tirmidhi (2754) narrated about what said Anas. And inche Allah I will show you in many occasions my great respect towards you.

Now, islamically speaking, i know that Irrassoul salla Allahou 3alayhi oua sellem didnt like that but i dont think that it is haram oua Allahou a3lem.

May Allah help us to respect Islam in All what we do.

Wasselemou Alaikum oua rahmatou Allah oua baraketouhou

Hajer

yameenahmed

Plus... You may need to edit the title of your thread and omit the severe urgency of the matter (Very very important and urgent question).... I immediately clicked on it thinking that surely someone was considering joining Jihad in Gaza and needed some real advise.

Relaaaax...

i was talking about this brother ..............

yameenahmed

I don't think standing committees position is wrong, they wouldn't give merely their opinion without reliable hadeeth.

Al-Tirmidhi (2754) narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “No person was dearer to them than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). When they saw him, they did not stand up, because they knew that he disliked that.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

The example brother Daywalker gave is exception to the rule considering it was a formal occasion and an occasion of great magnitude. [Delivering the punishment on Banu Qurayzah]

Then once again, as you can see the Prophet SAW did not forbade us from standing, he disliked it but did not forbade.

I personally don't think it's a big deal to stand up for the teacher or not to stand up, Alhamdulilah we don't have to face this in USA.

sorry to say brother before posting you should have read all posts .....

anwar99

Assalamalaikum,

Standing is merely a gesture of our respect towards any person,and i suppose there should be no harm standing/Greeting a teacher.No matter who the teacher is muslim or non-muslim,he's imparting us with the knowledge.
Also when we shook hands we do it while standing.so it mst not be treated un-islamic.

blackivy393

i know back in the old school days men use to stand up when women came from the room and until a women set down out of respect and being a gentlemen. and i know in court you stand until the judge sits out of respect

islam_best

Assalaamalaikum,
bros and sis's is standing out for someone out of respect haraam? I'm still a student in high school and live in kuwait.
Waa'laikumasalaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We are spinning around and around. The bottom line is what is the intention of standing or not standing. I have had to stand up in places whereas if I did not I would be whisked away in a nano second.
I believe it is more important to know and act upon prostrating before Allah subhana talla.

yameenahmed

Assalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Not long a go a muslim lawyer in holland didn't stand for the judge. It came on the news.

Maybe i will show you a bit of this news it's in dutch.

http://www.ad.nl/binnenland/2590712/Advocaat_moet_opstaan_voor_rechter.html

this is the picture of the brother

http://www.ad.nl/rotterdam/stad/2593134/Zittende_advocaat_voor_tuchtrechter.html

Walaikoem esalaam warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

had this been in english it would have been better ..............

daywalker

Imam Yahya bin Syaraf An Nawawi was mentioning the Hadits in Muslim, he explained (Syarah) it in his book "Syarah Shahih Muslim," that Hadits was said by Rasulullah about Sa'ad bin Mua'dz who were in his camel's hump, so this was the context of that Hadits "Stand up for your chief (who is on the camel. Help him to get down)."

sheikh what is meant by second part?

"Get up for your chief or for the best among you!" (Sahih Bukhari)

and here is quote from the book Shaykh al-Islam Nawawi´s “The Permission to Stand for those of Merit and Distinction in Islam.”

He said in the introduction of this book:

“Allah Most High has commanded us to be gentle with Muslims and honour those of knowledge, scrupulousness, and religion, saying, “And lower your wing for the believers.” Part of being gentle to them and honouring them is that they be respected by speaking to them tenderly and standing for them–not to show off or magnify them, but to show them the above mentioned honour and respect. Countless numbers of scholars, righteous Muslims, scrupulous Muslims, and other exemplars and notables have continually practiced this. [The position that is] chosen [by us], then, is that one should stand for those of merit and distinction, such as scholars, students of knowledge, parents, the righteous, and every excellent person, for numerous hadiths, statements of the noble and righteous early Muslims, and actions of the distinguished (such as scholars, the righteous, those of scrupulousness, and the abstinent) indicate this.”