Why pig is haraam/forbidden in Islam?

capricorn

An eye openeing explainatin
In Islam it is a major sin to eat Pork and it is considered to be the dirtiest animal in Islam. But many Muslims, including me, don’t even know why its so forbidden. This answer by a khair from Islam-qa.com, tells us of how dangerous pigs can be to the human brain and death it helped clear up many of us from being lost

A Christian is asking about the reason for the prohibition on pork Why does Islam forbid pork, when the pig is one of the creations of God?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Our Lord has forbidden eating pork in definitive terms. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering)”

[al-An’aam 6:145]

By the mercy of Allaah and His kindness towards us, Allaah has permitted us to eat all good things, and He has not forbidden anything but those that are impure. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…he allows them as lawful At‑Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al‑Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods)”

[al-A’raaf 7:157]

We do not doubt for an instant that the pig is a dirty and filthy animal, and that eating it is harmful to man. Moreover it lives on dirt and filth, and it is something that is off-putting to those of a sound nature who refuse to touch it, because eating it is either a cause or a sign of a person’s oddness.

Secondly:

With regard to the physical harm caused by eating pork, modern science has proved a number of things, such as the following:

‎ Pork is regarded as one of the kinds of meat that contain the most cholesterol, an increase of which in the bloodstream leads to an increased likelihood of blocked arteries. The fatty acids in pork are also of an unusual formation, when compared with the fatty acids in other types of food, which makes them more easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing cholesterol levels.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon, rectum, prostate and blood.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to obesity and related diseases that are difficult to treat.

‎ Eating pork leads to scabies, allergies and stomach ulcers.

‎ Eating pork causes lung infections which result from tapeworms, lungworms and microbial infections of the lungs.

The most serious danger of eating pork is that pork contains tapeworms which may grow to a length of 2-3 meters. The growth of the eggs of these worms in the human body may lead to insanity and hysteria if they grow in the area of the brain. If they grow in the region of the heart that may lead to high blood pressure and heart attacks. Another kind of worm that is to be found in pork is the trichinosis worm that cannot be killed by cooking, the growth of which in the body may lead to paralysis and skin rashes.

The doctors have confirmed that tapeworm disease is regarded as one of the serious diseases that may result from eating pork. It may develop in the small intestine and after several months may grow into a large worm whose body is composed of a thousand segments, with a length of 4-10 meters, which lives alone in the intestine of the infected person and part of it may appear when he defecates. When the pig swallows and ingests its eggs, they enter the tissues and muscles in the form of larvae sacs containing fluid and the head of the tapeworm. When a person eats infected pork, the larva turns into a complete worm in the intestine. These worms cause weakness and vitamin B12 deficiency, which leads to a specific type of anaemia, which may in turn cause nervous problems. In some cases the larvae may reach the brain, causing convulsions, increased pressure within the brain, epilepsy and even paralysis.

Eating pork that is not thoroughly cooked may also lead to trichinosis (infestation with a hairlike nematode worm). When these parasites reach the small intestine, three to five days later many larvae appear which enter the intestine and reach the blood, from which they reach most of the tissues of the body. The larvae move to the muscles and form cysts there, and the patient suffers intense muscle pains. The disease may develop into infection of the cerebral membrane and brain, and infections of the heart muscle, lungs, kidneys and nerves. It may be a fatal disease in rare cases.

It is well known that there are some diseases that are unique to humans and are nor shared with any other animals except pigs, such as rheumatism and joint pain. Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“He has forbidden you only the Maytah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity without willful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Baqarah 2:173]

These are some of the harmful effects of eating pork. Perhaps after studying them you will not have any doubts that it is forbidden. We hope that this will be the first step in your being guided towards the true religion. So stop, research, look and think, objectively and fairly, seeking only to find out the truth and follow it. I ask Allaah to guide you to that which is best for you in this world and in the Hereafter.

But even if we did not know about the harmful effects of eating pork, this would not change our belief that it is haraam in the slightest, or weaken our resolve to abstain from it. You know that when Adam (peace be upon him) was expelled from the Garden, it was because he ate from the tree from which Allaah forbade him to eat. We do not know anything about that tree, and Adam did not need to enquire into the reason why it was forbidden to eat from it. Rather it was sufficient for him, as it is sufficient for us and for every believer, to know that Allaah has forbidden it.

JenGiove

Sister, Salaam...

Please know that I am in no way trying to refute the laws of Creator in regards to haraam/halal foods. That is not anyone's place. As a medical/science minded person however, I found some of the medical basis' to be questionable. Beef is the top ranked cholesterol builder with lamb being 5th, pork being 4th<http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/cholesterol-high-avoid.php>. Scabies is a sexually transmitted disease <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies> and the closest thing to these mites from animals is Mange, which is a subspecies of scabies. Getting tapeworm from pork can happen IF certain conditions apply. You can also get tapeworm from drinking water or soda fountains or ice cubes<.http://www.readingtarget.com/shop/parasites.htm> Would you please be so kind as to provide sources for the medical reasons not to eat pork? I would surely love to read them. Thank you so much.

Secondly:

With regard to the physical harm caused by eating pork, modern science has proved a number of things, such as the following:

‎ Pork is regarded as one of the kinds of meat that contain the most cholesterol, an increase of which in the bloodstream leads to an increased likelihood of blocked arteries. The fatty acids in pork are also of an unusual formation, when compared with the fatty acids in other types of food, which makes them more easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing cholesterol levels.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon, rectum, prostate and blood.

‎ Pork meat and pork fat contribute to obesity and related diseases that are difficult to treat.

‎ Eating pork causes lung infections which result from tapeworms, lungworms and microbial infections of the lungs.

The most serious danger of eating pork is that pork contains tapeworms which may grow to a length of 2-3 meters. The growth of the eggs of these worms in the human body may lead to insanity and hysteria if they grow in the area of the brain. If they grow in the region of the heart that may lead to high blood pressure and heart attacks. Another kind of worm that is to be found in pork is the trichinosis worm that cannot be killed by cooking, the growth of which in the body may lead to paralysis and skin rashes.

The doctors have confirmed that tapeworm disease is regarded as one of the serious diseases that may result from eating pork. It may develop in the small intestine and after several months may grow into a large worm whose body is composed of a thousand segments, with a length of 4-10 meters, which lives alone in the intestine of the infected person and part of it may appear when he defecates. When the pig swallows and ingests its eggs, they enter the tissues and muscles in the form of larvae sacs containing fluid and the head of the tapeworm. When a person eats infected pork, the larva turns into a complete worm in the intestine. These worms cause weakness and vitamin B12 deficiency, which leads to a specific type of anaemia, which may in turn cause nervous problems. In some cases the larvae may reach the brain, causing convulsions, increased pressure within the brain, epilepsy and even paralysis.

Eating pork that is not thoroughly cooked may also lead to trichinosis (infestation with a hairlike nematode worm). When these parasites reach the small intestine, three to five days later many larvae appear which enter the intestine and reach the blood, from which they reach most of the tissues of the body. The larvae move to the muscles and form cysts there, and the patient suffers intense muscle pains. The disease may develop into infection of the cerebral membrane and brain, and infections of the heart muscle, lungs, kidneys and nerves. It may be a fatal disease in rare cases.

It is well known that there are some diseases that are unique to humans and are nor shared with any other animals except pigs, such as rheumatism and joint pain. Allaah indeed spoke the truth when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

Abu Talib

Feeling low
:salam2:

Question: Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?

Answer: The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:
1. Pork-prohibited in Qur’an

The Qur’an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places. Its prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked a name other than that of Allah. [Al-Qur’an 5:3] The above verses of the Holy Qur’an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible

The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus and the swine, as he divideth the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch, they are unclean to you. Leviticus chapter 11 verse 7 and 8:
Pork is also prohibited in the book of Deuteronomy

And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass. Deuteronomy chapter 14 verse 8:

A similar prohibition is repeated in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various Helminthes, like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which in a layman’s terminology is called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack and if it enters the eye it can cause blindness. If it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Taenia Tichurasis. A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from

Taenia tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ovas present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don’t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour’s excreta.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. It feels no jealousy. And among people who consume pork, the practice of wife swapping and other forms of promiscuous behaviour is common.

By Dr. Zakir Naik

kayleigh

You know what I never understood? Why the traditional food for Easter is pork, when Jesus was a Jew and would have never touched pork.

I don't eat pork, and I'm not saying it isn't haram to eat pork, but a lot of the so-called medical reasons given are either not accurate or not an issue anymore. It's totally understandable why undercooked pork (or meat of any kind, really) was dangerous back in the day. Now, it's much less common. Except for that one episode of House... lol. Any kind of raw or undercooked meat (except fish and whatever) is dangerous. That isn't specific to pork.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. It feels no jealousy. And among people who consume pork, the practice of wife swapping and other forms of promiscuous behaviour is common.

I'm sorry but this is, hands down, the most ridiculous thing I've ever read for obvious reasons.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I'm sorry but this is, hands down, the most ridiculous thing I've ever read for obvious reasons.

It is actually not ridiculous. Many scholars (both classical and contemporary) have mentioned that what a person consumes has an effect on his character and morals. The consumption of a promiscuous animal does have an effect on humans. I do agree that the wife swapping example is a bit of a 'stretch'. However, having a little (or no) sense of gheerah is definitely possible.

Whatever you feed yourself definitely has an effect on you both physically and mentally.

I would advise you to not to term the reasoning (or works) of scholars as ridiculous if it seems far fetched or absurd. They have spent years studying and investigating about the things they mention. It is true that they are prone to mistakes and are not infallible, however to ridicule their reasoning is belittling them & their knowledge on the subject matter and not showing them the respect they deserve.

If I have said something harshly, please overlook my shortcomings. BarakAllahu Feeki.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

JenGiove

You know what I never understood? Why the traditional food for Easter is pork, when Jesus was a Jew and would have never touched pork.

Miss Kayleigh....ask and ye shall receive....

The roast lamb dinner that many eat on Easter Sunday goes back earlier than Easter to the first Passover of the Jewish people. The sacrificial lambPassover Seder) in hopes that the angel of God would pass over their homes and bring no harm. As Hebrews converted to Christianity, they naturally brought along their traditions with them. The Christians often refer to Jesus as The Lamb of God. Thus, the traditions merged.

In the United States, ham is a traditional Easter food. In the early days, meat was slaughtered in the fall. There was no refrigeration, and the fresh pork that wasn't consumed during the winter months before Lent was cured for spring. The curing process took a long time, and the first hams were ready around the time Easter rolled around. Thus, ham was a natural choice for the celebratory Easter dinner.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodhistory/a/easterfoodhist.htm

I don't eat pork, and I'm not saying it isn't haram to eat pork, but a lot of the so-called medical reasons given are either not accurate or not an issue anymore. It's totally understandable why undercooked pork (or meat of any kind, really) was dangerous back in the day. Now, it's much less common.
See, that's what I'm saying as well. I am in NO WAY trying to refute Islamic law.....I'm refuting medical facts. The fact is, Pork is high in protien <the muscle building nutrient> equal to fish and has MORE protein than Tofu or beans....by far actually.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Except for that one episode of House... lol. Any kind of raw or undercooked meat (except fish and whatever) is dangerous. That isn't specific to pork.
I never saw that epidsode...I don't think. As for eating raw fish....I refute your facts dear sister. Eating raw fish CAN be dangerous to your health....sorry Sushi lovers..<and depending on the fish, DEADLY..>
http://hubpages.com/hub/Consuming-Raw-Fish

Why's that dearest? Could it be because it makes an assumption as to what an animal feels? Shall we talk about homosexuality in sheep? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexual_behaviour#Promiscuity

Men of Allah

Ya Allah,Ya Rahim.

Assalamu 'Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Interesting facts sister :SMILY259:, its the people who eat pork that need convincing . Its surprising that even after all these scientific facts that non-Muslims still eat pork and consider it to be a beautiful animal.

kayleigh

Why's that dearest? Could it be because it makes an assumption as to what an animal feels? Shall we talk about homosexuality in sheep? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexual_behaviour#Promiscuity

Interesting facts about why people eat ham for Easter. In the House episode I'm talking about some girl eats bad ham and almost dies from it.

and, I think it's ridiculous to compare animal behaviors and feelings to what is considered acceptable for humans. It's not like they have the same critical thinking and reasoning skills humans have. They do what they do because of their natural instincts, which is what they were created to do. Lots of animals are what we would call promiscuous, or even homosexual like you mentioned.

also, I think it's laughable because he clearly has absolutely no basis or proof for saying people who eat pork are promiscuous, or just promiscuous in greater numbers. Like people who eat a ham sandwich for lunch are swingers. Right. He's just pulling it out of thin air.

I can't stand it when people try so hard and make up really odd and obscure reasons to explain why something is the way it is.

ximkoyra

Why pig is haraam/forbidden in Islam?

If we believe that the Qur'an is the word of God, then our answer is that we don't eat pig meat because God said so. It's as simple as that.

And if you reaaaaaaly want to go the scientific route, then the best argument you could possibly use is that pigs are anatomically similar to humans and that makes you uncomfortable *shrugs* Insulin, heart valve replacement, and I'm sure other things are used from pigs for medical purposes because their anatomy resembles human anatomy so much.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I think it's laughable because he clearly has absolutely no basis or proof for saying people who eat pork are promiscuous, or just promiscuous in greater numbers. Like people who eat a ham sandwich for lunch are swingers. Right. He's just pulling it out of thin air.

I can't stand it when people try so hard and make up really odd and obscure reasons to explain why something is the way it is.

Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean that he is 'pulling it our of thin air'. It just shows your ignorance and arrogance. Sorry but I just have to put it that way.

kayleigh

Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean that he is 'pulling it our of thin air'. It just shows your ignorance and arrogance. Sorry but I just have to put it that way.

He's entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. It's just silly.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
He's entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. It's just silly.

It's never been *only* his opinion. This has been mentioned by both classical and contemporary scholars. And you would find this stated if you would read from the books of scholars of Ahl Us Sunnah about the benefits of avoiding the forbidden. Your statement that he is trying to pass it of as an odd and ridiculous idea, just shows your ignorance about the works of our scholars.

It is better for us to remain silent on things we do not possess enough knowledge about.

These scholars were some of the brightest thinkers and knowledgeable & pious people of our deen. And No, they didn't pull it out of 'thin air'. They must have good reason (and observation) for what they have stated. I find your ridiculing immensely disrespectful to these scholars and troubling. If you don't agree with them, then that's your wish. But at least you can avoid ridiculing them. It's not that hard, is it ?

kayleigh

It's never been *only* his opinion. This has been mentioned by both classical and contemporary scholars. If you would read from the books of scholars of Ahl Us Sunnah about the benefits of avoiding the forbidden. He hasn't pulled it out of 'thin air'.

And these were some of the brightest thinkers and knowledgeable scholars of our deen. And No, they didn't pull it out of 'thin air'. I find your ridiculing immensely disrespectful to these scholars and troubling. If you don't agree with them, then you are entitled to. But at least you can avoid ridiculing them. It's not that hard, is it ?

So you mean to tell me that classical and contemporary scholars have proof that eating pork causes promiscuity? Honestly, it's such a silly idea that it's not even worth arguing.

Obviously I don't have a problem with pork being forbidden, but as ximkoyra mentioned, it's forbidden because God said so. It is because it is.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
So you mean to tell me that classical and contemporary scholars have proof that eating pork causes promiscuity? Honestly, it's such a silly idea that it's not even worth arguing.

Obviously I don't have a problem with pork being forbidden, but as ximkoyra mentioned, it's forbidden because God said so. It is because it is.

Perhaps if you grabbed a book and read it for yourself, you would know.

Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it silly. Could you please stop stating that over again and again ? Atleast have an ounce of respect for the scholars, please.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
~Allah swt Knows Best!!!

:bismillah:

Allah swt have haraam(prohibited) us muslims from consuming porks(pig).
World scientists have agreed and
founding on the unsuitable of porks for human consumption

Here Are Scientists finding on the danger of pigs(porks)
Diseases and the infection from pigs(porks)
There are more than 26 diseases that can be infected from pigs and eating of it's meat(pork)
They Are:

Honouring Allah swt words is Best!

~May Allah swt help and guide all muslim~Amin!

Thank you,
Take Care!

~Wassalam :)

JenGiove

If we believe that the Qur'an is the word of God, then our answer is that we don't eat pig meat because God said so. It's as simple as that.

Salaam Brother Ximkoyra,
I don't think that point was ever in question. I do not believe the thread started was "asking" the question in hopes of a response, but rather as an argument point.

And if you reaaaaaaly want to go the scientific route, then the best argument you could possibly use is that pigs are anatomically similar to humans and that makes you uncomfortable *shrugs* Insulin, heart valve replacement, and I'm sure other things are used from pigs for medical purposes because their anatomy resembles human anatomy so much.

THAT is an excellent point and quite true. Hmmm..."food" for thought. The new question up for debate is: "When you are eating pork, is it cannibalism?". Something for my brain to chew...:)

Abdul25

Logical Believer

Why so much debate on a very clear command from Allah SWT that pork is forbidden. why always do we need to see the reasons why it is forbidden . i think it must be sufficient for us that Allah SWT has ordered us not to eat and it is sufficient for me and whenever i see the pork meat i just cant stand with it.