would this memorial be haram?

would visiting a memorial statue be haram?

• yes, it's haram

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • no, it's perfectly fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i'm not sure about it

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

tomorrow in Washington DC, a memorial honoring Dr. Martin Luther King will be formally opened to the public. the memorial is a giant sized statue of him for all the people to see. my question is, do you believe that visiting a statue memorial of someone is haram and can be seen as shirk?

:wasalam:

Idris16

wa `alaykum salam warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Just don't go there. I couldn't find any fatwa from IslamQA about this matter.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Thank you. I just wanted to know the opinion of other Muslims, because I had considered possibly to visit the memorial.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Why do we need such memorials? There are all sorts of non-statue homages to him and everyone knows he did amazing things alhamdulilah.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Why do we need such memorials? There are all sorts of non-statue homages to him and everyone knows he did amazing things alhamdulilah.

Some people just need them. It makes them feel better for whatever reason it may be. I never fully understood it. I wanted to go for the historical purpose. Now, I'm pretty convinced that I shouldn't go, because i don't feel right in paying homage to someone in the form of a statue.

alf2

Islam is a way of life

Some people just need them. It makes them feel better for whatever reason it may be. I never fully understood it. I wanted to go for the historical purpose. Now, I'm pretty convinced that I shouldn't go, because i don't feel right in paying homage to someone in the form of a statue.

Yeah, that would be my problem too akhi.
I live in Georgia, we have roads, schools, monuments named after him :)