advice for new hijabi

kiki18

as-salum aleikum to everyine in TTI!

i need some advice for wearing hijab. i'm a revert so i'm not used to other poeple seeing me. what do you recommend for me to do?

your responses will be very appreciated :)

Sanaa01

Muslima
as-salum aleikum to everyine in TTI!

i need some advice for wearing hijab. i'm a revert so i'm not used to other poeple seeing me. what do you recommend for me to do?

your responses will be very appreciated :)

:salam2: sister

You should not worry about what people would think or say about you what's important is what Allah thinks of you
Remember the first time is the hardest and after that you will get used to wearing hijab believe me
I ask Allah SWT to make it easy for you and reward you in this life and the hereafter Ameen

:wasalam:

Ashima33

Salaam Alaikum sister,

I too just starting wearing hijab as of this week. I'm not for sure if your worries are the same as mine, but I have been more worried about bumping into people I have not seen for awhile and then all of the sudden the see me in a scarf. I have been muslim for 6 months now and some people knew I converted and others don't. But really, the only way to get through the anxiety and awkwardness is to just do it and get used to it. I waited six months because I wanted to make sure I had a solid foundation of Islam, and I also wanted to research hijab and know why I'm wearing it. Women have reasons for wearing it and not wearing it and I wanted to make it clear where I stood. I think it's most important to have a good grasp on why you're wearing hijab, because you need to be prepared for people to ask you questions... because THEY WILL. I'm only on day 4 and I've had to explain it to 2 different people I JUST met! It's great for dawah, but if you don't know how to answer the questions it will only make you more anxious and self-conscious. So, that is my advice to you. I hope this helps! =)

AyeshaL

apologies for the length of this response!

Assalaamu Alaikum!

Marshallah that you are wanting to take this step :) I'm also a revert and have been a Muslim now for almost a year. The first time I decided to put my hijaab on I showed my female flatmate to see what she thought and she was really complimentary and didn't see it as such a big deal. I think sometimes we expect people to react more than they do. Saying that, be prepared for people to ask questions and to react to you. My family find my wearing hijaab perhaps the hardest to accept out of all of the changes I have made since reverting. My mum believes it makes it harder to find work and, I want to be honest with you, I do think people still have issues with it - which is such a shame. BUT not so long ago the fact women were going to work at all was a big deal until it became the norm...Muslim women need to stand united and help the sisters who will come after us!

Things that I would recommend to help you;
* Research it - have quotes regarding the importance of hijaab in your head - not necessarily to share with anyone else but to remind yourself.
* Go and buy some scarves of all different colours so you can match it to your outfit - as long as it's not transparent you're not restricted :)
* Get someone to show you how to fix it - in the first few months it used to take me FOREVER to put it on and I ended up using about 10 pins to hold it in place - it does get easier! They also have articles on the internet (google) to help you.
* If you havent already - find some other sisters who wear hijaab to support you. When I struggle I find it so helpful to just have a coffee with another sister who wears it.
* Remind yourself that we have been told to fear no man / woman but to fear Allah - as I walked into work wearing it for the first time I took a deep breath and reminded myself of that! We are aiming for something higher than other people's approval ;)
* Someone once told me that each time you wear hijaab you get credit from Allah for it :) I've got no quote to back this up though so maybe someone can help me?!
* You don't know who is looking at you - there may be a girl in your train carriage / working near you who is considering wearing it too or is even looking into Islam more closely. You could be the encouragement that sister needs!

Also - it does have some benefits that were never discussed with me prior to wearing it;
* No more scrabbling around for a scarf every time its prayer time!!
* Men are generally more respectful of you - I have had more doors held open and seats offered than ever before! :)
* As an English revert, people do ask me if I'm Muslim because Im wearing hijaab. Sometimes this can lead to some pretty amazing conversations - alhamdulilla! :)
* Other Muslims can identify you - I have even made friends on the train with other sisters because of this!! It opens so many doors :)

My duas are with you - stay strong and if you need any more advice / you struggle, please get in touch on here. Also remember to let us all know how it goes!!!!! Wasalaam,

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
May Allah shower you with His blessings and hidayah. Do not worry what others may re-act seeing you in hijab. Before wearing your hijab, make your intention clear with Allah you are doing it because you are obeying Him and His Rasool. The rest Allah will takes care.

The one who should feel shame or uneasy at other people are those walking half naked without shame.

firdaus3

i am really happy to see the kind of support and advice that BROTHERS and SISTERS recieve avoer here. even i would suggest you to go ahead and care for what ALLAH likes ............. then HE will make everyone like you !!!

Nurain

Salam sis,

Have respect for yourself. Wearing hijab is beautiful... it differentiates you from the disbelievers. May Allah give you strength. It is our identity as a muslimah.

For starters on my first day of hijab.... I made a lot of dhikr to Allah... and you know what sis? Gaining Allah's acceptance is so much simpler than trying to please everything else and everyone else.

Hehe my 2 cents worth

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Whatever happens sister...always remember that you're wearing your hijab for Allah (swt) first and foremost..set "representation" aside..set "da'awa" aside..set "modesty" aside...you're wearing it to PLEASE ALLAH!..and believe with all your heart that The One whom you want to Please is an Almighty Lord who will compensate you for the good and the bad of this matter :)

Do not look around..do not worry..do not be scared..

Just always think to yourself *Ya Allah..this is for you..Ya Allah..this is for you*

You'll see how you'll feel when you solidify this in your heart

May Allah guard you and protect you sister :)

:wasalam:

BigAk

Salaam Alaikum sister,

I too just starting wearing hijab as of this week. I'm not for sure if your worries are the same as mine, but I have been more worried about bumping into people I have not seen for awhile and then all of the sudden the see me in a scarf. I have been muslim for 6 months now and some people knew I converted and others don't. But really, the only way to get through the anxiety and awkwardness is to just do it and get used to it. I waited six months because I wanted to make sure I had a solid foundation of Islam, and I also wanted to research hijab and know why I'm wearing it. Women have reasons for wearing it and not wearing it and I wanted to make it clear where I stood. I think it's most important to have a good grasp on why you're wearing hijab, because you need to be prepared for people to ask you questions... because THEY WILL. I'm only on day 4 and I've had to explain it to 2 different people I JUST met! It's great for dawah, but if you don't know how to answer the questions it will only make you more anxious and self-conscious. So, that is my advice to you. I hope this helps! =)

Excellent points... I think wearing the Hijab will open countless doors for people to ask questions and then Da'wa is prompted. One who wears hijab will also have the burden of doing Da'wa. Therefore, knowledge of doing so is very important. Living in a Christian country, one needs to be equipped with knowledge to answer any questions that arise.

kiki18

thank you all sp much for the great advice given, specially sister ayashaL it really helps. i'm really happy i found this website, it really has been to my advantage :D

strahan

Alhamdulillah, may Allah make things easy for you in every way. Do not worry dear i wear Hijab around 8 years ago, yes i do feel scare like the way you feel today, but remembering that i do that for Allah Subhanahu wata'ala all the fear gone and the positive change will come, surely to the people who don't know you are already convert, they will shock and not be-friend with you again ( i know how it feels) but be brave, have courage & be better person, Allah will give better things in every way
may pray always with you
Amin