afghan woman stoned

esperanza

revert of many years
11 November 2011 Last updated at 09:18 GMT Share this pageEmail Print Share this page

961ShareFacebookTwitter.Afghanistan mother and daughter stoned and shot dead Continue reading the main story
Taliban ConflictUS patience wears thin
Taliban tactical shift
Haqqani militant network
Q&A: Fighting the Taliban
A group of armed men have stoned and shot dead a woman and her daughter in Afghanistan's Ghazni province, security officials have told the BBC.

The officials blamed the Taliban, who they said had accused the women of "moral deviation and adultery".

The police said two men had been arrested in connection with the murder.

The attack was only 300m from the governor's office in Ghazni city, which is on a list of places to be transferred to Afghan security control.

Taliban grip

The incident happened on Thursday in the Khawaja Hakim area of Ghazni city, where the family lived.

The BBC's Bilal Sarwary in Kabul says it is close to the governor's office, the police chief's office and a Western-backed Provincial Reconstruction Team.

Continue reading the main story
Analysis
Bilal Sarwary

BBC News, Kabul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 18 districts in Ghazni. Seven are in government control. In 11 the government only exists inside the district headquarters.

In much of the region, the Taliban are taxing people and banning girls from schools. Joint weddings have been banned - the bride and groom are not allowed to be together as it is thought the woman makes too much noise walking to the wedding hall, disturbing the men.

The Taliban are killing and imprisoning people who work for the government. They control all of the major roads. Drivers are regularly beaten. There are instances where district officials have been beheaded. The Taliban have banned mobile phones, video cameras and music apart from Taliban radio stations playing hypnotic chants.
Security officials said armed men entered the house where the young widow lived with her daughter and took them out to the yard, where they were initially stoned and then shot dead.

"Neighbours did not help or inform the authorities on time," an official said.

Officials said a number of religious leaders in the city had been issuing fatwas (Islamic religious edicts) asking people to report any one who was "involved in adultery".

In October last year, a woman accused of murdering her mother-in-law was killed by the Taliban in Ghazni.

Ghazni has seen an upsurge in violence in recent years.

Strategically located on the route between Kabul and Kandahar, the province was once a centre of trade.

Ghazni city is on the list for the second tranche of areas to be transferred from Nato to Afghan control but critics say the government i

this woman was accused of a crime,,,,but iwonder was it proven true..were four witnesses produced..i doubt it..

Idris16

Bismillah

They are Hanafis in Fiqh. What does the Hanafis say about stoning? And I wonder if this is true.... did stoning really happen recently?

Precious Star

It shocks me every day, how muslims are capable of such horrific brutality.

As muslims kill others on a daily basis, the rest of the muslim global community sit back and do nothing. And by doing nothing we allow Islam to be slandered, and we allow these barbaric "muslims" to continue their brutality.

I pray that this woman did not have other children, who are now orphaned. I hope that she died quickly without pain. I hope that the Taliban used a female to capture her so that she was not subjected to treatment by unknown men.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Have the Taliban taken the responsibility for it. The article states they were blamed. To blame is one thing to take responsibility is another.

And this if from BBC

Idris16

Precious Star...

We do not speak against Muslim rulers even if they are oppressive. Thats what I have learnt from the books of Sunnahs.. And we have to verify if this is even true and see the other side of this story. Nowadays when they stone people they dont have enough proof.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
It shocks me every day, how muslims are capable of such horrific brutality.

As muslims kill others on a daily basis, the rest of the muslim global community sit back and do nothing. And by doing nothing we allow Islam to be slandered, and we allow these barbaric "muslims" to continue their brutality.

I pray that this woman did not have other children, who are now orphaned. I hope that she died quickly without pain. I hope that the Taliban used a female to capture her so that she was not subjected to treatment by unknown men.

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

I aslo feel sad for this woman dear sister, but Alhadmulillah as Muslims we know that it is order from Allah subhanahu wa teala,and even if this kind of punishment may seem so hard for non Muslims and even for Muslims, we as Muslims should not forget that it is aslo a just punisment,and is better punishment than adultary and zinaa in one society. Alhamdulillah punishment is much better than commiting these evil acts. And Allah knows the best.

May Allah bless and guide our Muslim Ummah. Ameen.

:wasalam:

Perseveranze

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Can't believe you would believe this story. Half of this is completly untrue.

the Taliban are taxing people and banning girls from schools.

Taxing = no. Banning girls school = No.

They're only banning schools that have "mixed gender learning", which is a good thing.

The Taliban are killing and imprisoning people who work for the government.

And these same people are corrupt, raping and killing Women and children. They support the USA invasion and everything the USA does, they put it under the carpet so people don't know.

They have no Islam in them whatsoever.

Joint weddings have been banned - the bride and groom are not allowed to be together as it is thought the woman makes too much noise walking to the wedding hall, disturbing the men.

lol if you believe this.

In October last year, a woman accused of murdering her mother-in-law was killed by the Taliban in Ghazni.

Again, even if this was true, nothing wrong with this. In the USA and many other countries, the punishment for manslaughter could be execution.

A group of armed men have stoned and shot dead a woman and her daughter in Afghanistan's Ghazni province, security officials have told the BBC.

The officials blamed the Taliban, who they said had accused the women of "moral deviation and adultery".

The taliban never took responsibility for this, "a group of armed men", automatically means taliban right? There's so many bandit and lawless groups who have been created due to the USA and Government, Taliban are the one's who are actually fighting against these types of people aswell.

So much propoganda, the Medias desperate now, ever since they've realised the home grown support the Taliban have in defeating the oppressive USA army.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

It saddens me that some men are afraid of women. We are full of joy; replete. And we can not help that we make noise...we carry children with us..a wedding without noise is a funeral.

Precious Star

It serves us no purpose to put our heads in the sand. If the Taliban killed a woman and her daughter, then do you really think they are going to walk around saying "look what we did" "look what we did".

That being said, we know that the Taliban have taken responsibility for killings in the past. Just a few months ago, they took responsibility for bombing a school bus full of young children in Pakistan, because their parents were pro-government supporters.

When brutality exists, there is no room for giving the benefit of the doubt. These are hard times. Islam and muslims are being slandered. As muslims, we should have NO HESITATION in standing up and demonstrating that we are morally intact. So, if the Taliban did not kill this woman, they should proudly say they did not do so and they will pursue Islamic justice against those who have. They should provide for this woman's dependants. They should be upright.

And why are you assuming that whoever killed this woman had 2 reliable witnesses to her adultery? That is an Islamic requirement. In fact, if you accuse someone of adultery without the required witnesses, you are committing a grievous sin. Please read the Quran. It sets out the procedure to be followed step by step when there are allegations of adultery. It mentions witnesses. It mentions forgiveness. And btw, it does not mention stoning.

It is also extremely, extremely disturbing that in a muslim country, women have the highest birth mortality rate than any other country in the world. What are the Taliban doing to ensure that the women in their county get adequate medical care? ARe they creating subsidies so that girls can go to nursing and medical school? I am almost certain that the answer is no.

Banning girls from school where there is mixed learning? What if they wear hijaab? Hijaab allows you to be functional in the real world. If they are wearing hijaab, they can learn.

Regarding the banned weddings, I think you should speak to some of the women who have had weddings themselves. They will tell you stories.

Look, women are dying. Women are God's gifts, they need to be protected. The little girls need to be educated. Women can no longer die in childbirth - it is 2011, and they aren't dying even in Africa! What is going on? What are the Taliban doing about this?

a_stranger

السلام عليكم
I think we should not take all that is said in BBC as truth. They lie , distort truth .

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

Whose are Talebans?

Partly they are groups of tribes whose just claims to be "Talebans" and use they own rights and courts.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We all cringe when we hear stories like this.

But, the issue here is the source of the stories. The BBC is a source not to be believed. That is the limit of this post.

Why we post what the kufr write and get into debates about the thinking of the kufr puzzles me.

The issue of stoning women to death is a post all byitself and deserves serious attention.

It is an accepted fact that the Taliban take ownership of what they do.

I am not painting a beautiful rosy picture. But before we jump into discussion let us step back and consider the source...isn't there a hadeeth about accepting information and really looking at the source.

Precious Star

السلام عليكم
I think we should not take all that is said in BBC as truth. They lie , distort truth .

And just leave it at that?

Where are all the muslim journalists who are investigating?

What is our source of information, then? We have the BBC. We have Al-Jazeera. What source of information about human rights regarding women have you decided to rely on? Because its either turning a blind eye, or, choosing an information source that is reliable.

As muslims, we do not have the luxury of turning a blind eye.

Precious Star

Precious Star...

We do not speak against Muslim rulers even if they are oppressive. Thats what I have learnt from the books of Sunnahs.. And we have to verify if this is even true and see the other side of this story. Nowadays when they stone people they dont have enough proof.

Really? So we don't say anything about Assad? Sadam Hussein? Moamar Ghadaffi?

We don't say anything about their conduct?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Exactly sister..there is nothing but a random BBC article. And Al-Jazeera..I wonder about them sometimes.

But, the bottom line is when the Taliban do something they take responsibility for it.

So let us wait and see. BBC is just spits our newspeak.

Precious Star

Assalaam walaikum,

Exactly sister..there is nothing but a random BBC article. And Al-Jazeera..I wonder about them sometimes.

But, the bottom line is when the Taliban do something they take responsibility for it.

So let us wait and see. BBC is just spits our newspeak.

like I said, putting our heads in the sand serves no useful purpose.

When the BBC reports that children in Africa are dying of starvation, then I certainly hope the muslim ummah does not ignore it.

Perseveranze

It serves us no purpose to put our heads in the sand. If the Taliban killed a woman and her daughter, then do you really think they are going to walk around saying "look what we did" "look what we did".

That being said, we know that the Taliban have taken responsibility for killings in the past. Just a few months ago, they took responsibility for bombing a school bus full of young children in Pakistan, because their parents were pro-government supporters.

When brutality exists, there is no room for giving the benefit of the doubt. These are hard times. Islam and muslims are being slandered. As muslims, we should have NO HESITATION in standing up and demonstrating that we are morally intact. So, if the Taliban did not kill this woman, they should proudly say they did not do so and they will pursue Islamic justice against those who have. They should provide for this woman's dependants. They should be upright.

And why are you assuming that whoever killed this woman had 2 reliable witnesses to her adultery? That is an Islamic requirement. In fact, if you accuse someone of adultery without the required witnesses, you are committing a grievous sin. Please read the Quran. It sets out the procedure to be followed step by step when there are allegations of adultery. It mentions witnesses. It mentions forgiveness. And btw, it does not mention stoning.

It is also extremely, extremely disturbing that in a muslim country, women have the highest birth mortality rate than any other country in the world. What are the Taliban doing to ensure that the women in their county get adequate medical care? ARe they creating subsidies so that girls can go to nursing and medical school? I am almost certain that the answer is no.

Banning girls from school where there is mixed learning? What if they wear hijaab? Hijaab allows you to be functional in the real world. If they are wearing hijaab, they can learn.

Regarding the banned weddings, I think you should speak to some of the women who have had weddings themselves. They will tell you stories.

Look, women are dying. Women are God's gifts, they need to be protected. The little girls need to be educated. Women can no longer die in childbirth - it is 2011, and they aren't dying even in Africa! What is going on? What are the Taliban doing about this?

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I ask you not to be so naive, this picture the media has potrayed of the Taliban is so far from the truth.

It's a shame Muslim brothers and sisters are falling for it. If the Taliban were really as oppresive as you make them to be, then they wouldn't have the support from the Afghani people.

If the Taliban killed innocent civilians, then their Leader wouldn't have made this statement just a few days ago -

KABUL: The Taliban’s reclusive leader Mullah Umar said in a Muslim holiday message on Friday that his fighters must protect Afghan civilians, who are dying in rising numbers, so the insurgency can maintain good relations with the population.

Mullah Muhammad Umar posted his message on the Taliban’s website ahead of next week’s Eidul Azha, or Feast of Sacrifice, when Muslims around the world slaughter sheep and cattle in remembrance of Prophet Ibrahim’s (AS) near-sacrifice of his son.
If it is irrefutably proven that the blood of innocent Muslims is spilled by the negligence of mujahedeen, then a penalty should be implemented in accordance with Shariah (Islamic law) and all steps should be taken to seek the pardon” of those affected by the killings, he said.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2011\11\05\story_5-11-2011_pg7_5

^Read that, does that sound like an oppresive force that wants ill for its people? Even those innocents killed by Mujehdeen by mistake, they should be compensated and those responsible put to justice. The USA or any army doesn't punish people who kill civilians for "collateral damage", yet the Taliban are always trying to be careful.

Subhanallah.... I'm not denying the Taliban may have done things that aren't correct, however we shouldn't just judge them from what we hear from outside sources. Even those so called "Afghan women interviews" are done by kaafirs, without any proper or legitimate reporting, there's no way to tell whats happening.

I just know that the Taliban's intentions are good, they want good for their people, not bad.

like I said, putting our heads in the sand serves no useful purpose.

When the BBC reports that children in Africa are dying of starvation, then I certainly hope the muslim ummah does not ignore it.

Maybe they wouldn't since BBC don't have this propoganda and biased agenda against Africa like they have against Islam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No, we are not putting our heads in the sand...

The BBC is a propaganda machine.

No, I am not denying about the starvation of children in Africa..but there are children hungry right here, too.

We have to look at the history of Africa; I am not playing the blame game; there is no reason for starvation in the world...it is the love of money..it is the hoarding of resources; blood is cheap.

But, that has nothing to do with the article on hand. In the immediate discussion we have an issue of the propaganda machine doing what it does best..newspeak.

I find it very interesting because I do read the alternative media..and I never come across these stories. The Western based alternative media do not print BBC stories. They discuss why the BBC prints stories.

It is simply for economic gain.

And..they glean satisfaction from this. They have served the purpose. Here we are discussing the problems with Muslims ( we can start millions of threads on this ) but we need to gain understanding of why BBC does this.

a_stranger

And just leave it at that?

Where are all the muslim journalists who are investigating?

What is our source of information, then? We have the BBC. We have Al-Jazeera. What source of information about human rights regarding women have you decided to rely on? Because its either turning a blind eye, or, choosing an information source that is reliable.

As muslims, we do not have the luxury of turning a blind eye.
Yes sister you are right we should turn a blind eye we need some honest muslem people to tell the truth.