An Indonesian Dish...???

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I'm trying to recall a meal I use to enjoy almost every other day back in Cairo. It was from a local Indonesian restaurant. I never remembered the name, I would simply point to a picture of it or describe it in Arabic. Even if you were to give the name, they all sound the same to me.

Anyway, this particular dish was basically a soup, served with either rice or noodles. The soup would either be cooked with chicken or lamb (or maybe beef) and vegetables. While I can't remember what vegetables were in there, a rather spicy red pepper was amongst the ingredients. The soup was dark brown in colour and overall, more spicy and far less sweet than any other Indonesian dish I tried.

Sorry, that's as good as my explanation gets!

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
Wa'alaykum As-Salaam

wait a minute... what is it i wonder? Indonesia have so many different tribes and cultures, and the cuisine is different for each of them, that's why with that kind of vague explanation i can't really tell what it is.

maybe you can tell me the arabic name or post a picture of it?

although there are two dishes that came to my mind, the first is kari (curry) which is quite similar to the indian kare i guess but in my tribe (sundanese) lamb or mutton curry is not very common although in aceh it is one of the traditional food. the second one is gulai which some people may think that it has no difference with kari, which is normal because the only thing differentiate between them is the use of coconut milk, kari don't use it while gulai is.

but i'm not sure about it since you mention vegetables, i'll post images below

kari_ayam.jpg

kari ayam (chicken curry)

1813665680_ab163a38c0_o.jpg

kari kambing aceh (aceh mutton curry)

i forgot to mention about soto, it is some kind of soup with distinct flavour, see pictures below.

warung_pojok_soto_betawi1.jpg

soto kambing betawi (batavian mutton soto)

p28-soto-ayam-b.jpg

060905.JPG

soto ayam (chicken soto) even though it doesnt come close to brown but i'm posting it just for fun :)

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Jazaak Allaahu khayran

No it definitely wasn't a curry, it was a lot browner in colour lol. Yes, I admit my description is too vague.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamulikum brother.Did you go to the shop in Nasr City near Al-Azhar?the owner is from thailand and am afraid the dish might be thailand dish.If that is to shop,I will ask for you when I have my dinner there in sha Allah :)

OK I found this Rawon

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Sister, there were loads in my area of Nasr City... I lived in Swisery B, Hayy Al-`Aashir, where there was a mix of Indonesian and Thai places. I could get someone to find out the name of the dish, but it will probably be as hard as asking here.

Was-salaam

kayleigh

Ooooh Indonesian food <3 I once had these things that were like crispy pastries but the inside was filled with an onion puff thing and oh man it was delicious. Does anyone know what that is?

BADTASTEBEARS

Fear Allah
Assalamualaikum

I have a feeling its called Mee Bakso. But im not sure, I dont think Bakso can be eaten with rice.

My mom's a great Bakso cooker tho!

Men of Allah

Ya Allah,Ya Rahim.
Wa'alaykum As-Salaam

wait a minute... what is it i wonder? Indonesia have so many different tribes and cultures, and the cuisine is different for each of them, that's why with that kind of vague explanation i can't really tell what it is.

maybe you can tell me the arabic name or post a picture of it?

although there are two dishes that came to my mind, the first is kari (curry) which is quite similar to the indian kare i guess but in my tribe (sundanese) lamb or mutton curry is not very common although in aceh it is one of the traditional food. the second one is gulai which some people may think that it has no difference with kari, which is normal because the only thing differentiate between them is the use of coconut milk, kari don't use it while gulai is.

but i'm not sure about it since you mention vegetables, i'll post images below

kari_ayam.jpg

kari ayam (chicken curry)

1813665680_ab163a38c0_o.jpg

kari kambing aceh (aceh mutton curry)

i forgot to mention about soto, it is some kind of soup with distinct flavour, see pictures below.

warung_pojok_soto_betawi1.jpg

soto kambing betawi (batavian mutton soto)

p28-soto-ayam-b.jpg

060905.JPG

soto ayam (chicken soto) even though it doesnt come close to brown but i'm posting it just for fun :)

Soto Ayam

My Daily Breakfast
..:hijabi: