Dr. Aafia's Final Verdict

JenGiove

Ridiculous. A paperclip?! Lol

You'd be amazed what desperation can create. Toothbrushes filed down into knives. Here's a wiki link on "Shivs". If anything, the inventivness is a testiment to Creator's blessing called our brains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiv_(weapon)

I don't see how this comment logically follows from what you wrote above it.

You would have to know that I'm an Native American Indian. Since Dr.Siddiqui is viewed as a political prisoner, I was letting you know that in this instance, I knew about how to send to a political prisoner. I've also had personal experience in writing to someone in the prison system. Most of the people on this thread knew that information about my heritage.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Please go to cageprisoners.com. There are good suggestions there. Do not be upset if you do not get a reply.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Assalaam walaikum,

Please go to cageprisoners.com. There are good suggestions there. Do not be upset if you do not get a reply.

:salam2:

Thanks about information.

Actually, I have some experiance about writing to political prisoners; I have been member of Amnesty International for years and also I wrote before to israeli political prison, Mordechai Vanunu as thanking him his action when he told in public Israel´s nuclear program.

Valerie

I was called Kaafir....here....publicly. Not in this thread, but on TTI. How do you feel when you are viewed with disdain for no reason other than you are Muslim. While my own life falls down around me in tatters and my own health threatens to end my life, I come here for companionship, love, education and laughter. For a sense of order in my own chaos. If I am wrong for turning here for that support, then please, tell me and I will quietly leave.

I know this is directed toward someone else, but thanks for writing this. It needed to be said.

On a side note, anytime I see a link viewing muslims as unfavorable .. "It's Zionist". If it views non-Muslims in a bad light.. It's "true."

I respect all of you, even those I have disagreed with, but it's weird to be the the mirror image of those who only have nasty things to say about Muslims and who believe that non-Muslims are always right. That bothers me.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum

JenGiove said:
I was called Kaafir....here....publicly. Not in this thread, but on TTI. How do you feel when you are viewed with disdain for no reason other than you are Muslim. While my own life falls down around me in tatters and my own health threatens to end my life, I come here for companionship, love, education and laughter. For a sense of order in my own chaos. If I am wrong for turning here for that support, then please, tell me and I will quietly leave.

I know this is directed toward someone else, but thanks for writing this. It needed to be said.

On a side note, anytime I see a link viewing muslims as unfavorable .. "It's Zionist". If it views non-Muslims in a bad light.. It's "true."

I respect all of you, even those I have disagreed with, but it's weird to be the the mirror image of those who only have nasty things to say about Muslims and who believe that non-Muslims are always right. That bothers me.

This thread is about Dr 'Aafia Siddique; her barbaric imprisonment and the recent unjust verdict that has been passed by those who claim to be and portray themselves as the flagbearers of justice and human rights (America). If you have other grievances kindly take them elsewhere so as to not divert the main focus of the thread. Thanks.

This audio provides a useful overview for those who still don't know as much as they should about the case.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
This thread is about Dr 'Aafia Siddique; her barbaric imprisonment and the recent unjust verdict that has been passed by those who claim to be and portray themselves as the flagbearers of justice and human rights (America). If you have other grievances kindly take them elsewhere so as to not divert the main focus of the thread. Thanks.

I agree with this. Writing off topic should stop and continue kind of discussions some where else topic.

Thanks for reminding us.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:(
May Allah have mercy on her and her family and a lot of innocent prisoners fee sabilillah.
May Allah Have Mercy On us.O Allah her children,I love my mother.
I feel ashamed.
:wasalam:

JenGiove

Sisters and Brothers,

It has been brought to my attention that I may have inadvertently caused misunderstanding of my thoughts and words here. I mean to correct that now.

Specifically, when I posted "To think, she could have been my Doctor." I ONLY meant to convey what a small world we live in. I lived all my life in Massachusetts, the state that Dr.Siddiqui lived, worked and raised her family in. She then had several job interviews in Baltimore, Maryland at John's Hopkins University. She is a Coctor in the field of neuro-science, an amazing and fascinating field and one who's offices would have been in the same hallway as neurology. As someone who must see a neurologist all the time for my seizures and for an abnormal vascular development (which is what threatens my life should it burst), I was only remarking on how I could have met her and not known it. Here in America, having an connection to a noteworthy person is remarkable. What if you were able to say "Hey! as kids, Mohammad and I used to play together....we've lost touch and he probably doesn't remember but...".

As for Dr.Siddiqui's guilt or innocence, I hold no opinion. This also touches on what Valerie said. It IS hard, being on the other side of "the rabbit hole". I find it disheartening that I can not voice my own thoughts and opinions on worlds news events here without facing what *I* feel is ridicule and hatred. It seems that unless I post something that is "Anti-American", I am yelled at and deemed stupid. Of course, I am not Muslim and I can not walk in your shoes and feel your obstacles, but I see FAR more "Anti-American" threads here than "Pro-Muslim".

For those of you who think I am "American Indian" as in a person from India who lives in America, you are incorrect. I am Indian as in "Cowboys and Indians". The past leardership of the United States has also effected my own culture and has also taken innocent people from my "brotherhood" of tribes and imprisoned them. I understand your outrage.

Please understand, in terms of the actual people who have the job of standing guard over Dr.Siddiqui, they are just doing their jobs. Its how they earn their money. Some people are evil creatures who need to be skinned and fried, and their are some who need our thanks for trying to provide as much respect as they are allowed. Dr.Siddiqui's life in prison will not be easy, especially as a Muslim woman who needs the protection of privacy in order to pray and preserve her honor...but in the eyes of the laws that judged her (right or wrong!)...there are certain limits that she will have to become accustomed to. Would your governments not do the same??

Pray that Creator eases her fears and forgives her for her inability to be and act as Creator has mandated. She herself said that she wishes that no violence occurs because of this verdict. ”I do not want any bloodshed. I do not want any misunderstanding. I really want to make peace and end the wars,” she said. http://zakiraah.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/86-year-us-jail-term-for-dr-siddiqui/

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

You pose giood questions.

I pray this makes sense: no matter what your nationality is we have the burden of finding the truth. These matters are not a simple good guy versus bad guy. There are many Pakistanis who need to be filled with shame, too.

I can not teach you the truth. It is a personal journey. I can offer suggestions. Let us all try to uncover lies so no-one is oppressed.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
@ Sister JenGiove

Firstly, you should realise that we have been following the plight of sister Aafia for a long time. This has been discussed far more among the muslim community around the globe, than the attention it has been give in the west.

Therefore, when you posted a wikipedia page that was filled with inaccurate facts and propaganda, I can see that it could potentially irk a lot of people who know her case and the allegation in far more detail. I think it would have been better, if you had reserved making a post/comment before you conversed yourself with her entire situation and her case.

As I mentioned earlier, even honest non muslim observers who are conversant with details of her arrest and the case levied against her, are asking for justice and the restoration of her civil rights. They too think it is outrageous for the govt/military to deny her rights and capture/torture her out of blind hate and prejudice.

The allegations against her are outrageous and it is sickening for any military might to imprison and brutally oppress a woman and level false charges against her to justify this injustice.

I would hope that we are all for justice. Even if it is our *own* people/government/military who is the oppressor. At this point, patriotism needs to be put aside and people need to feel sympathetic with the oppressed. I have no problems with anyone pointing fingers at the barbaric killings that my *own* country's military undertakes against the people of kashmir in addition to other atrocities. It doesn't matter to me that this is the country whose culture, history and economic/military might I am supposed to be proud of. Injustice at the end of the day is ruining lives of other people and snatching away their basic human rights of living in peace and in dignity.

I do not think it is anti american to start such threads or discuss such matters. If she was being held in Britain (see Faraj Hassan), then we would be talking about the injustice done by the British govt. I would go as far as saying, if it were in a Arab muslim country, the reaction wouldn't be any different.

Granted that people should not demonize anything and everything they hear about the US. But given the fact that in the past few years, the US govt has waged two wars killing thousands upon thousands innocent muslims (with or without intent), Abu Ghuraib, Guantanamo Bay, Blackwater etc etc (this list is not even close to completion) has demonstrated that the US govt. has paid no or little attention to treating the muslims in these lands (which is hardly discussed or covered on the US media unless there is a political controversy in relation to it).

Outwardly, the govt. might proclaim to have got rid of tyrants and inhumane, barbaric and backward governments. But look at the infrastructure these people have to live is ? Look at the new corrupt tyrants they have installed and the mass civil unrest in Iraq (look at this heartbreaking call from Baghdad) has come about. Look at these heart wrenching details that are uncovered from the battle zones.

All the above is posted not to hold the *common American* accountable, rather so that you can understand why you read thread upon thread of 'anti american' sentiment. If you would be reasonable, you would easily understand that these things lead to people always being doubtful and apprehensive about the intentions of the these western governments with relation to our muslim countries and muslim people.

Some of the members on this webforum are also bearing the consequences of such military campaigns. For example : Pakistan. They have Taliban forces at the door step of their major cities. They have people blowing up other people when they go out to shop or to pray at a mosque. They wake up to newspaper headlines of drone attacks killing 10-12 villagers (including children) in some parts of their country. I would only imagine that they have a right to question the actions of their government and the coalition forces for these calamities that they have to come across in their daily lives.

Yet all this is not reason to be prejudiced or show blind hate against any American who registers to this website to learn about the beauty of Islam. We have to treat such members as our guests, with kindness and respect.

And at this point, I would like to remind myself, my fellow muslim brothers and sisters to always be patient and understanding with our guests. To treat people with best manners is a teaching of our deen. So why let your emotion overcome you by you treating your guests in a way that would repel them from this website and from learning about Islam ?

With this, I think I should bring my post to an end. I hope this post serves it's purpose InshaAllah.

a_stranger

What Islam offers for humanity: treatment of prisioners;

Allah says in the Qur'ân: "And they feed from what they love for themselves the indigent, the orphan, and the prisoner of war, saying: 'We feed you for the sake of Allah. No reward do we desire from you nor thanks." [Sûrah al-Insân: 8-9] Allah has made taking care of enemy prisoners of war an act of worship that can bring the believer closer to Allah. When Allah says: "from what they love for themselves", He is showing us that it is not sufficient just to give them our surplus food, but to prefer them over ourselves and give them the best, even if we have a need for it ourselves.

"After the Battle of Badr, prisoners of war were brought. Among them was al-`Abbâs. He did not have a shirt on, so the Prophet (peace be upon him) looked for a shirt for him. It turned out that a shirt of `Abd Allah b. `Ubayy was the right size, so the Prophet gave it to al-`Abbâs to wear and compensated `Abdullah with his own shirt." [Al-Bukhârî (3008)] From this, we can see how Islam guarantees prisoners of war the right to decent clothes.

During the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) there were no formal prisons. Sometimes a prisoner would be kept in the mosque, and sometimes they would be distributed among the believers to be kept in their homes.

They cannot be abused on account of the fact that they were fighting against muslems. Islamic Law does not command us to punish them for this reason. Prisoners of war were never subjected to punishments by the Muslims during the early generations of Muslims when Islam was strong and put into practice.

Copied from :

http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-islam/13747-rights-prisoners-war-islam.html

Torturing, raping.......assault of prisoners , impirisoning children or kidnapping them are plain crimes : those who done so should be punished If they are not punished now they will not escape in a coming day when all return to their Lord.

:wasalam:

Valerie

Assalamu'alaykum

This audio provides a useful overview for those who still don't know as much as they should about the case.

Yeah. I'll do that, but people shouldn't point fingers when they have 3 pointing back at themselves.

So, this thread is only about how much America sucks. Gotcha. If I don't agree, leave. Done.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Yeah. I'll do that, but people shouldn't point fingers when they have 3 pointing back at themselves.

So, this thread is only about how much America sucks. Gotcha. If I don't agree, leave. Done.

Sister Val,

If you have the time, please read my post. Maybe it would help you realize 'where most of us are coming from' a bit in relation to topics such as these.

This thread is about justice, not america. I hope your feelings aren't being hurt.

Have a nice day.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

No its about how torture (both physical and psychological), humiliation, opression, deception, unfair detention, shootings, rape and every other henious crime under the sun is wrong regardless of who is doing it, in this case it happens to be Americans who comitted most of the ones I listed! Just the reality of the situation Im afraid.

Did you read the following:

BrotherinIslam7 said:
The allegations against her are outrageous and it is sickening for any military might to imprison and brutally oppress a woman and level false charges against her to justify this injustice.

I would hope that we are all for justice. Even if it is our *own* people/government/military who is the oppressor. At this point, patriotism needs to be put aside and people need to feel sympathetic with the oppressed. I have no problems with anyone pointing fingers at the barbaric killings that my *own* country's military undertakes against the people of kashmir in addition to other atrocities. It doesn't matter to me that this is the country whose culture, history and economic/military might I am supposed to be proud of. Injustice at the end of the day is ruining lives of other people and snatching away their basic human rights of living in peace and in dignity.

I do not think it is anti american to start such threads or discuss such matters. If she was being held in Britain (see Faraj Hassan), then we would be talking about the injustice done by the British govt. I would go as far as saying, if it were in a Arab muslim country, the reaction wouldn't be any different.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Wikipedia is zionist-poisoned media - wouldn´t pay too much attention to its "information".

It is a Zionist poisoned media, but we should pay attention to it, because it is something that is open to everyone in the public and they can freely edit it.

There was another video posted here on TTI and on youtube, where a non-Muslim man was explaining how there is a 10,000-strong internet zionist army that puts a spin on events and historical facts all over the net, including wikipedia. There are many more Muslims, but we are too unorganised and slow to put together such a movement.

Not that you would ever believe anything that came from me....

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home

If you feel there is wrong information on Wikipedia, then become a contributing member and correct the mistakes.

Yes, wikipedia is open to everyone and can the mistakes can be corrected by a contributing member. However, currently there is a lot of misinformation there (mainly on current political issues; the science stuff on wiki really isn't wrong), because of the reasons mentioned above.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
An extract from Moazzem Begg's article on Dr Aafia:

Aafia Siddiqui

Despite all of this my primary reason for going to Pakistan was to assist in whatever little way I could to in the case of Aafia Siddiqui.

Waiting to collect our luggage near the exit at Karachi airport we could hear the sounds of a crowd gathered outside, but I didn’t know for what. As we walked out I realised it was for us. Hundreds of people had come to welcome us. It was overwhelming. They put so many flower garlands around my neck I that I was in a permanent nod. We were showered with rose petals, people shaking our hands and shouting more slogans than I can remember, except for one: “We want Aafia!”

After what seemed an age walking through the crowds we made it to the vehicles waiting to take us to some rally points. We drove through the packed streets of Karachi with a large convoy in tow, blasting on huge speakers songs about Aafia and American injustice. All along the way someone bellowed out on the loudspeakers that we had arrived, that Aafia, the daughter of the nation, must not be forgotten and that the shameless rulers were responsible for her continued ordeal. There were signs visible all over Karachi that say: DAUGHTERS NOT FOR SALE.

We arrived at a destination where both Yvonne and I were asked to address the people through the sunroof of the car, Benazir-style. Now, I’m no stranger giving speeches and rarely get nervous doing so but this was different. And, my very first speech out of a car, I realised, was also going to be my very first in Urdu.

I didn’t realise but people knew my story, especially as Yvonne had told them previously how she’d first heard about women in US custody from me and what I’d heard in Bagram.

After hearing Dr. Fawzia’s heartfelt thanks to the crowd for their support it was someone else’s turn to deliver his very first speech. We all listened in pin-drop silence as Ahmed Siddiqui, Aafia’s son, sat on the bonnet of the car and spoke of his determination to get his mother back. It was hard to fight back the tears.

Going to Aafia’s house and meeting her family was the most moving experience I’ve had in many years. Aafia’s mother, Ismet Siddiqui, embraced me like a son with tears in her eyes. At dinner she explained to me so many things I hadn’t comprehended properly: the levels to which the family has fought to get justice for Aafia, the love a mother has for a daughter whose dishevelled pictures she cannot even recognise have now become the iconic image of qaum ki beti (daughter of the nation). Ismet showed me the rooms where Aafia would have her friends over and described how she was loved by all who knew her. With the care of a mother but the heart of a believer whose faith is being tested she told me how she cannot bow her head to injustice or bear to hear the terrible predicament of her daughter. The light and joy she said have left the Siddiqui houselhold, even though overwhelming happiness was felt with the return of Aafia’s children, Mariam and Ahmed. No one even talks of Suleman to me, perhaps from fearing the worst.

Fawzia showed me pictures of Mariam distributing aid to the flood victims and Ahmed talked to me about his plans for the future. He’s one of these boys who always smiles, extremely respectful and dutiful. Only Allah and his loved ones know just how much he has had to bear. The thought is crushing. Fawzia also showed me one of Aafia’s headscarves that was ripped while is US custody, along with a Quran with English translation – all sent from the prison. Several of the pages are bookmarked and I read the underlined verses, trying to understand what may have been going through her mind when she did so. One of the many is from the chapter of the Prophets:23

He will not be questioned as to that which He does but they will be questioned. And verse 28:

He knows what is before them, and what is behind them, and they offer no intercession except for those who are acceptable, and they stand in awe and reverence of His (glory).

Sentencing the 'daughter of the nation'

Although I returned to the Siddiqui household the following day for more press engagements I was hoping that we really might get to hear, somehow, that everyone has relented and that Aafia will be coming home, before the sentence. The government did announce officially that they had requested Aafia’s repatriation from the Americans but, we all knew that all real efforts for repatriation could only begin after sentencing.

I went on to give more press conferences in Lahore and Islamabad contrasting Aafia’s case with some of the released Guantanamo prisoners who include Bin Laden bodyguards and senior Taliban ministers. How is it that Aafia is still there? I cast great doubt too on the US version of events in her case, stating that in over nine years of US detentions around the world no strong, committed al-Qaida or Taliban man has yet once managed to acquire a firearm from a US soldier, how did Aafia manage such a fait accompli?

And now, Aafia has been sentenced in a US court to a term of 86 years for the attempted murder of a US soldier in Afghanistan. Thousands of US soldiers have been killed or wounded in Afghanistan and yet no one has been taken to the US to be charged with their killing. What is it about Aafia they fear so much?

During an interview with Binyam Mohamed last year I showed him a photograph of Aafia and asked him if she was the same woman he and the others had seen in Bagram. He confirmed that she was one and the same. Yvonne Ridley presented this evidence and much more regarding the inconsistencies of the alleged shooting in her film In Search of Prisoner 650. None of this eye-witness testimony was accepted by the US courts during the trial of Aafia Siddiqui.

At the sentencing, Judge Berman praised Aafia’s attitude in calling for calm and ended by telling her that she had the right to file an appeal. She replied simply by saying, “I appeal to God and he hears me.”

Today, the streets of Pakistan literally burn for the return of its daughter. Every Pakistani leader – secular or religious – has called for the repatriation of Dr. Aafia Siddiqui. Her antagonists may not have intended it but through their violations of her rights she has become the daughter of the nation – the daughter of the ummah. And that ummah will not rest until she is home.

Can this thread please be a sticky..

JenGiove

Sister Valerie,

I have felt the same but since I am not Muslim, my voice goes unheard. Have you not noticed that there are far fewer threads about the wonderful deeds that Muslims have done or are doing in comparison to how aweful America is? Especially in the news and current events forum? Maybe I should post the news story about Muslims bombing a Mosque or the public caning of a Malaysian woman for being in possession of a single beer....thousands of people witness to it.

...but I'm not allowed. Its in the rules.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Where do I start.

No this thread is not about how America sucks. Most have not been here to make that assessment. The kidnapping and torture and farce of a trial was a multinational operation.
It is very safe to make comments behind a computer screen. Do not take them to heart.

This is not the purpose of TTI.

The process at arriving at independent thought requires hard work; and leaves no room for opinion.

This is yet another case of many jumping on the bandwagon. I am frustrated. I have written enough posts that were ignored and now the self-righteous are preaching.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Sister Valerie,

I have felt the same but since I am not Muslim, my voice goes unheard. Have you not noticed that there are far fewer threads about the wonderful deeds that Muslims have done or are doing in comparison to how aweful America is? Especially in the news and current events forum? Maybe I should post the news story about Muslims bombing a Mosque or the public caning of a Malaysian woman for being in possession of a single beer....thousands of people witness to it.

...but I'm not allowed. Its in the rules.

Well, since your posts are appearing on this webforum regarding your displeasure about us portraying America negatively. Therefore, your voice is certainly not going unheard. You are just not receiving responses that are favorable to your viewpoint/opinion.

This thread is not about how awful America is and it has been mentioned over and over by several posters. However, it seems to upset you that your govt. is being portrayed in a negative light.

I would agree with you that the other members need to be open minded and courteous to members who may have different (or opposite) ideas. However, I don't think posting about topics close to our hearts is any wrong. And we do care about our imprisoned/persecuted brothers and sisters around the world.

And we have had threads about mosque bombings, imams jailed, houseworker maltreatment among many others criticizing muslim govts as well. So I find it puzzling that you think that we have a bias on this forum.

JenGiove

BrotherInIslam, and alllll the brothers and sisters here,

I have never once said that I condone the actions of what happened to her. I have only posted other links regarding her case, yet, because they are from the "Zionist controlled media who are nothing more that puppets" of my country, they are dismissed and I am scoffed at. Please tell me how this is kind treatment?

Sister Aapa,
You have been gracious to me in the past so I will respond to you privately about this matter. Today I happen to be very busy and I want to be able to use examples and thought, so please bare with me.