Egypt to face its first Tunisian-inspired protests

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I have read that the Egyptian army will not use violence against its people. They have made a statement that the people have legitimate concerns. Alhumdullila.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Assalaam walaikum,

I have read that the Egyptian army will not use violence against its people. They have made a statement that the people have legitimate concerns. Alhumdullila.

:salam2:

I read same from Al-Jazeera and hopely they really are doing it as if they don´t and at Tuesday there will be one million or more protestors on the streets at the same time... uuh!

May Allah protect all of them and give them peacefull victory.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Egyptian state TV: Thugs have broken into some store selling military uniforms to use them in some robbing and looting. The military is warns anyone from illegally wearing / using military people and urges people to be cautions.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Abdel Haleem Kandeel, secretary of the Kefaya Movement, an Egyptian opposition group, says that there will be no negotiations or dialogue until Mubarak leaves.

I wonder how will a national unity government form..

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I have no idea how accurate this is but I hope it's true:

http://www.illumemag.com/zine/articleDetail.php?Hosni-Mubarak-Prepares-to-Step-Down-13472

Hosni Mubarak Prepares to Step Down

"Omar Suleiman, raised with (Mubarak) the idea that he should leave."

Hosni Mubarak is preparing to give up, according to reports from people close to the Egyptian president.

Following another day of protests, where Egyptians ignored curfews and calls to go back to work, two of the 82-year-old leader's top advisers reportedly told him to step down.

Newly named Vice President and longtime Mubarak confidant, Omar Suleiman, raised with (Mubarak) the idea that he should leave.

Defense Minister Mohamed Tantawi also reportedly advised Mubarak that it is time to move on. Suleiman was said to be expecting a phone call from Washington supporting the decision.

The news comes on the heels of Mubarak authorizing Suleiman to speak with protesters following the military's announcement that it will not fire on protesters.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicum Wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

This trough what Egypt and its people are passing at the moment, we could freely call the tsunami, which will eventually come to its end, and I pray to Allah it will be in the favor of the people of Egypt, and that we will all learn from this too, create better future for the next generations, but the most important that Allah is pleased with our deeds.

The people of Egypt has chosen the "Revolution", but perhaps it would be better if they have chosen the "Evolution", and Allah knows the best

May Allah strenghten their Eman, bring calmness in their hearts and may they seek help only from Him. Ameen Ya Rabb

Wa allaicumu Sallam wa raahmtullah wa baraaktuhu

BrotherZak

Hosni Mubarak will not leave unless the protesters storm the palace gates. The time for peaceful protest have ended. This man is not rational, he is but an arrogrant, crazyed, 82 year old senile sick and twisted man. If the people wait till september, he is going to do everything he can to torture and kill his political opposition and rig the elections like in 2005.

ON friday they should have "a million storm the palace day"...can you imagine a sea of people walking to the governmental palaces...the army will not harm them...

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

Mubarak is one sticky for the sake of the country and turmoil he could have step down acting as a true patriot. I think he has plans that if he leaves also he makes sure everyone suffers with the economy crashing and shortage of essentials.

I don't know how pro Mubarak protesters have evolved all of a sudden.

justoneofmillion

:salam2:Good morning everybody.Concession after concession but it is just a masquerade.Nothing new...He should step down if for order to return if he has any patriotic feeling left in him.The country is very vulnerable in such cases.

May Allah swt protect the people of Egypt let us pray for them.

Mubarak’s new deputy linked to CIA rendition program

WASHINGTON — The man named by President Hosni Mubarak as his first ever deputy, Egyptian spy chief Omar Suleiman, reportedly orchestrated the brutal interrogation of terror suspects abducted by the CIA in a secret program condemned by rights groups.

omarsuleimanafp.jpg

His role in the controversial "war on terror" illustrates the ties that bind the United States and the Egyptian regime, as an unprecedented wave of protests against Mubarak's rule presents Washington with a difficult dilemma.

With Mubarak in jeopardy, Suleiman was anointed vice president last week and is now offering wide ranging talks with the opposition in a bid to defuse the crisis.

Suleiman is a sophisticated operator who carried out sensitive truce negotiations with Israel and the Palestinians as well as talks among rival Palestinian factions, winning the praise of American diplomats.

For US intelligence officials, he has been a trusted partner willing to go after Islamist militants without hesitation, targeting homegrown radical groups Gamaa Islamiya and Jihad after they carried out a string of attacks on foreigners.

A product of the US-Egyptian relationship, Suleiman underwent training in the 1980s at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare School and Center at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.

As spy chief, Suleiman reportedly embraced the CIA's controversial "extraordinary rendition" program, in which terror suspects snatched by the Americans were taken to Egypt and other countries without legal proceedings and subjected to interrogations.

He "was the CIA's point man in Egypt for rendition," Jane Mayer, author of "The Dark Side," wrote on the New Yorker's website.

After taking over as spy director, Suleiman oversaw an agreement with the United States in 1995 that allowed for suspected militants to be secretly transferred to Egypt for questioning, according to the book "Ghost Plane" by journalist Stephen Grey.

Human rights groups charge the detainees have often faced torture and mistreatment in Egypt and elsewhere, accusing the US government of violating its own legal obligations by handing over suspects to regimes known for abuse.

In the run-up to the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, the CIA relied on Suleiman to accept the transfer of a detainee known as Ibn Sheikh al-Libi, who US officials hoped could prove a link between Iraq's Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda.

The suspect was bound and blindfolded and flown to Cairo, where the CIA believed their longtime ally Suleiman would ensure a successful interrogation, according to "The One Percent Doctrine" by author Ron Suskind.

A US Senate report in 2006 describes how the detainee was locked in a cage for hours and beaten, with Egyptian authorities pushing him to confirm alleged connections between Al-Qaeda and Saddam.

Libi eventually told his interrogators that the then Iraqi regime was moving to provide Al-Qaeda with biological and chemical weapons.

When the then US secretary of state Colin Powell made the case for war before the United Nations, he referred to details of Libi's confession.

The detainee eventually recanted his account.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/mubarak-deputy-cia-rendition/

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

He announced he would resign in September after he met a US envoy seems like they have a strategy in place.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

Even Mubarak is "82 year old senile sick" man, looks like he mostly tries to be sure that his son will get Egypt after him - what most of dictators wants; just same if they are kings or presidents.

One of the main matter still is: what dictators whose lost they power should do or what their nation should do with them?

- ask them to leave the whole country (when they usually escape to some other country and lives there under protection of some other dictator)? - most of dictators have this kind of "end" - like latest in Tunisia

- ask them stay and carry responsibility about crimes against they own people during the time they have ruled the nation? - like in ex-DDR leaders and South Africa after their apartheid era

- just let people do for them what ever they want in anger? - Like in Romania (Ceausescu, executed at 1989)

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

He should be tried. He should have done all that what he mentioned last night in all these years but its too late for him now.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Egypt's army says Egyptians have delivered their message, their demands have been heard and it is time for them to help Egypt return to normal life

Maha*

I am worried about the people there are criminals on the loose making a killing. The army needs to vanguard the citizens I am also wondering how are they meeting the daily needs with banks and all shops closed.

This is the scariest thing of them all. But there's a bright side to it. Lots of friendships developed because all the males guarding the buildings. Yesterday was the first day I go out since the start of things, it is such a different Cairo from the one I've always known. So quiet and no traffic. And every few hundred meters you are stopped by the citizens who are guarding their homes, checking for your ID and asking you where you're going to. I see these people playing football together and spending all their day (or night depending on their shift) together. I am pretty sure most of these neighbors never even knew each other before then.

Most shops are closed, but not all. You have to drive for a while to find one that's open though (this is so different since normally you have a shop that's just 10 meters away from your home). I think what I've noticed is that if a shop opens it has no official working hours. It just opens whenever it wants and closes whenever it wants. As for banks, I heard people are helping out each other and lending the people they know in need money until things get better inshaa Allah.

Maha*

Assalamu`alaykum

Welcome back Maha how is the situation now I heard social networking websites are still blocked.

Wa alaikum alsalam, no that's not true. I logged on to Facebook and it's working. I'm not on Twitter but I checked the website and it's working too.

It's so good to have the internet back. :)

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

Good to hear. Are the protestors leaving are they satisfeid with the last night's statement of Mubarak stating he will step down in September