Husband want another wife

I.Iman

Need some advices. What should a women do if her husband says he is going to take another ( a second) wife during arguments while he's angry and just want to hurt his wife? I know it is permissible, but to threaten her like this? It's like me saying to a husband every time we are in a argument I want to divorce him. And if he really wants another wife how could she find peace in this? Advice from anyone??

Salam Aleikum & Jazakallah kheir.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamo 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

First don't argue with him if you don't want a competition.

Second, Cheer up and smile, Say Cool! I'd like to see you try and manage both of us equally well. I'll make friends with her and the two of us will beat you toghether.

Btw won't it actually be cool, One guy two girls. He gets double duty, you get half. He gets to fight and cheer two, for you it's one. Act like you don't care, he would stop hurting you and try finding something else like I'll make you eat Roaches or something along those lines. He knows what gets to you so he bugs you with it. Don't get bugged, unless he's serious about his threats, this will solve your problem Inshaa'Allaah! And Allaah knows best.

BaraakAllaahu Feek!

Ahsen

Asalamo 'Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

First don't argue with him if you don't want a competition.

Second, Cheer up and smile, Say Cool! I'd like to see you try and manage both of us equally well. I'll make friends with her and the two of us will beat you toghether.

Btw won't it actually be cool, One guy two girls. He gets double duty, you get half. He gets to fight and cheer two, for you it's one. Act like you don't care, he would stop hurting you and try finding something else like I'll make you eat Roaches or something along those lines. He knows what gets to you so he bugs you with it. Don't get bugged, unless he's serious about his threats, this will solve your problem Inshaa'Allaah! And Allaah knows best.

BaraakAllaahu Feek!

Good advice but not all men are same.Sometimes it can backfire.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Relax sister...your husband does not want a second wife. This is an empty threat to hurt you emotionally.

If he wanted a second wife..this is not the way to go about it.

What you have to do is not allow each other to argue. What you have to do is take time to understand what your battles are about. What are the factors that make you and him disagree. After you find out what are the reasons you argue you can move forward.

Leave the room when you see the argument beginning. It is not a blame game. Both of you are involved in the dance of the argument. You can not change him; but you can change the way you react to him. Most couples argue the same problem. You get caught up in the argument and not resolve the issue.

Sometimes it helps if you break out into a smile. For example you know when he will say those words to you..pretend you are looking at an invisible watch..and stare at it..he will ask what you are doing...congratulate him..and tell him...usually at this time you tell me you want a second wife..minimize the issue.

When the heat of the argument boils..dhikr. Call out to Allah..recite a sura in your heart..make dua that Allah grants both of you sabr. Walk away. And be kind to him. Be so kind that his heart melts. Be his strenght at moments like this.

InshaAllah..you will have harmony and not silliness.

Noor El-Huda

Sister, when you're in time of peace with your husband, you can tell him that it's not correct to bring up a second marriage in arguments as a threat.

Explain that polygamy is one of those immensly difficult issues for a wife to accept or at even go along with. In order for that to happen, the wife needs to have acquired the correct mindset, which entails enough knowledge and understanding, ralise al the positives that it carries, the rewards. Only then she would be somewhat equipped to deal with any arising challenges and rise over natural feelings of jealousy. There needs tobe building blocks in order to help her take on what she percieves as a huge compromise from her side to take onthat challenge.

Clarify that when the matter is brought up in heated arguments, then naturally the husband wouldn't be careful with how he speaks and the words would fall on the wife like bombs.

This experience would ultimately build up a lot of resentment in the wife towards polygamy and would pose a huge threat that she would fight against till the end, when in principle polygamy is not suppose to be a threat and jeopardise harmony cause break ups, it is supposed to be just an bring solutions to families.

Remind him that this is something that sheikhs do urge husbands to refrain from doing because it paints a dark picture of polygamy, which is going against what Allah swt and the prophet preach.

Hopefully that may play a bit on his concience, to help him refrain from utilising such a sensitive topic as an option to channel his anger. May Allah swt guide us to what pleases Allah swt.

a_stranger

:salam2:

Dear sister try to avoid arguments as much as you can, be a good wife for the sake of Allah subhanahu wa taala , whenever you feel that the argument will start ..remember the Hadith

"I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannahfor one who has good manners.'' [Abu Dawud]...

Men like to win every battle even that of speech only , let him win. You take the home in Janna in shaaAllah

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Good advice but not all men are same.Sometimes it can backfire.

Well let carry out his threats and you go ahead make friends with the girl. He'll have a lesson of his life.

Sorry I'm out! You are probably thinking what's with this girl. But bieng yet a single, I see no problem with a man and two, three wives lol. Haven't yet tasted the jealousy involved, so yeah.

esperanza

revert of many years
Well let carry out his threats and you go ahead make friends with the girl. He'll have a lesson of his life.

Sorry I'm out! You are probably thinking what's with this girl. But bieng yet a single, I see no problem with a man and two, three wives lol. Haven't yet tasted the jealousy involved, so yeah.

so talking about two o9r three or four wives,.,,is not something to joke about ,nor something the husband should threaten wiht

I.Iman

Jazakallah kheir! The reason I put questions here is because most of the time you get serious answers, and many of the questions is difficult to find answers to if you are not familiar with many hadiths etc. And many of you are well educated in Islam!

Yes, in Islam I know a man has the right to marry up to 4. Although, this is not something so common anymore. And if he thinks about marrying another wife he must think this true clearly, because he must have 2 of everything - economy for 2 families and if he looses his job, still he must know he can provide for 2 families!

But I do not think it is ok for him to threaten his wife she's no good and he will have another wife! Like someone said: it's not a game. This involves humans and children! And if a man fails to be fair with 1,2,3 or 4 families this could be a catastrophy for everyone involved. Not that simple to me, just take on another wife. When the honeymoon is over, real life takes over.

How about this question:

A man has a wife, child, and his wife pregnant with his second child and he wants another wife. How should each of them deal with this situation?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
so talking about two o9r three or four wives,.,,is not something to joke about ,nor something the husband should threaten wiht

I added a lol out of habit, doesn't mean I'm joking. Like I said I'm not married so I can't comprehend what it's like. Asking me now, I see no problem with it.

May be later I won't be saying it.

esperanza

revert of many years
Jazakallah kheir! The reason I put questions here is because most of the time you get serious answers, and many of the questions is difficult to find answers to if you are not familiar with many hadiths etc. And many of you are well educated in Islam!

Yes, in Islam I know a man has the right to marry up to 4. Although, this is not something so common anymore. And if he thinks about marrying another wife he must think this true clearly, because he must have 2 of everything - economy for 2 families and if he looses his job, still he must know he can provide for 2 families!

But I do not think it is ok for him to threaten his wife she's no good and he will have another wife! Like someone said: it's not a game. This involves humans and children! And if a man fails to be fair with 1,2,3 or 4 families this could be a catastrophy for everyone involved. Not that simple to me, just take on another wife. When the honeymoon is over, real life takes over.

How about this question:

A man has a wife, child, and his wife pregnant with his second child and he wants another wife. How should each of them deal with this situation?

well in my opinion,and others will disagree,when a man's wife is pregant wiht his child,this is not a very sutiable time to think about another wife,,,,,

and as isee it today ,many men are not dealing well wiht one wife ,let alone tow ,three or four

we talk about following the prophet PBUHand his sunnah...but to be honest how many men act as he does in a marriage wiht one wife....spmething to cinsider

I.Iman

According to some statistics there aren't so many men marrying more then one wife! But my experience is that so many men tell their wifes they are going to! How come this is? And why is it acceptable that a man threats his wife with this, this is not the Sunnah. So how come it's not discussed more that this is not appropriate to do?? I do not find anywhere where Sheiks and Imams talk about how a man should deal with this in a sensitive matter. But if I were to told my husband you suck, I'm gonna get a divorce and have another husband! How about that?? I don't think that is an appropriate way to discuss, although it is my right to divorce my husband, how acceptable is it for a women to talk like that?
Everyone talks about how Islam was first with womens right etc, to me it feels like muslim societies are behind the western in thoose questions.

I'd really really would like to hear a Sheik talk about this!
I think deep down Propeth Muhammed saws, would be ashamed of how people act upon the Sunnah. Yes Sunnah to have more wifes?? What is the Sunnah to treat one first of all.. As I can remember he specifically said The best among you are thoose who are the best to your wife/wifes and I am the best!
Yes, he already there told men they cannot be fair with women. Remember Profeth Muhammed saws was the messenger of Allah! He was not an ordinary man! And for a man who is not fair between his wifes he will find himself comes to hell with one side hanging?? Isn't that enough to frightened a true muslim regard taking another wife?
Sometimes

Idris16

According to some statistics there aren't so many men marrying more then one wife! But my experience is that so many men tell their wifes they are going to! How come this is? And why is it acceptable that a man threats his wife with this, this is not the Sunnah. So how come it's not discussed more that this is not appropriate to do?? I do not find anywhere where Sheiks and Imams talk about how a man should deal with this in a sensitive matter. But if I were to told my husband you suck, I'm gonna get a divorce and have another husband! How about that?? I don't think that is an appropriate way to discuss, although it is my right to divorce my husband, how acceptable is it for a women to talk like that?
Everyone talks about how Islam was first with womens right etc, to me it feels like muslim societies are behind the western in thoose questions.

I'd really really would like to hear a Sheik talk about this!
I think deep down Propeth Muhammed saws, would be ashamed of how people act upon the Sunnah. Yes Sunnah to have more wifes?? What is the Sunnah to treat one first of all.. As I can remember he specifically said The best among you are thoose who are the best to your wife/wifes and I am the best! Yes, he already there told men they cannot be fair with women. Remember Profeth Muhammed saws was the messenger of Allah! He was not an ordinary man! And for a man who is not fair between his wifes he will find himself comes to hell with one side hanging?? Isn't that enough to frightened a true muslim regard taking another wife?
Bismillah

Many Muslim men nowadays are a joke. I am a brother and I say as it is. The Sunnah is strange. I feel sorry for you sister. We have to remember that we live at a time where people claiming to be Muslims dont even practice Tawhid. Dont warn against Bid'ah. Read this:

The scholars differed as to whether a divorce given in jest counts as a divorce. The majority are of the view that it does count as such, and they quoted as evidence the report narrated by Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are three matters in which seriousness is serious and joking is serious: marriage, divorce and taking back (one’s wife).” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2194; al-Tirmidhi, 1184; Ibn Maajah, 2039. The scholars differed as to whether this report is saheeh (sound) or da’eef (weak). Al-Albaani classed it as hasan in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 1826.

A similar meaning was narrated in mawqoof reports from some of the Sahaabah.

It was narrated that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “There are four things which become binding if they are spoken: divorce, manumission, marriage and vows.”

It was narrated from ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him): “There are three in which jesting is like seriousness: divorce, marriage and manumission.”

Abu’l-Darda’ said: “There are three matters in which jesting is just as valid as saying them seriously: divorce, marriage and manumission.”

Yoonus Ibn ‘Ubayd said:

“There is nothing stranger than the Sunnah and stranger still is the one who knows it

It is also reported that he said:

“It has come to the point that one who knows the Sunnah will think it is something strange, and stranger than this person is who finds the Sunnah something familiar.”

[Laalikaa'ee, #21 & Ibn Batta, #20]

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever has two wives and favours one of them over the other, will come on the Day of Resurrection with one of his sides leaning.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1141), Abu Dawood (2133), al-Nasaa’i (3942) and Ibn Majaah (1969). Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb (no. 1949).

Hatty

this reminded me of a similar story happened to a friend of mine. he said something similar when he was having an argument with his wife. she told him if you were a man go and marry another woman.

he went to his friend and told him i want to be your brother-in-law. he got married to this other woman. however, everything is fine now. he is married to 2 women and leading a normal life.....

esperanza

revert of many years
this reminded me of a similar story happened to a friend of mine. he said something similar when he was having an argument with his wife. she told him if you were a man go and marry another woman.

he went to his friend and told him i want to be your brother-in-law. he got married to this other woman. however, everything is fine now. he is married to 2 women and leading a normal life.....

reLLY THAT MUST BE A RARE CASE!!!!!

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum: Sis I.Iman.

Women are highly possessive for their husbands. Any taunt from husband during heated arguments about him marrying another woman,I think doesn't reflect any de-inclination from present wife. Verbal battles may be intense but are often a very transient state. Yes,but if these battles are inflamed further undesirable outcomes may result.

My wife is always scared for me marrying another woman since when I reverted to Islam. These are her baseless repercussions. Neither I pretended this nor intended this.

Be cool and patient,InshaAllah your married life would be intact.

Regards.

Ahsen

Some men just don't know how to deal with women,do they think their source of problems is the woman but infact it's their incapability to deal with their wives.So they try to marry another woman thinking that she will be the one.These kind of men never feel satisfied.

esperanza

revert of many years
Some men just don't know how to deal with women,do they think their source of problems is the woman but infact it's their incapability to deal with their wives.So they try to marry another woman thinking that she will be the one.These kind of men never feel satisfied.

very good point brother

I.Iman

A man who threatens his wife with another wife, he Knows that since he hurt her feelings, this is wrong. Stop right here! He should already know this is not the Sunnah how to treat his wife!

Almost as sick as a man living in another country (for work)from his wife, and couldn't afford bringing her there! So he asked if it was ok for him to marry another women were he worked???? What?? If he cannot afford bring his first wife how could he possible think of another?? What is wrong. Some men think women can be handle so careless, like a thing.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
it makes me smile and reflect,because it happened to me too...my husband told me sometimes he wanted to marry to another woman,just to see how I would react.well, I told him<go to marry another woman,you also can bring her at home so she can help us with the children,she could sleep and eat with us>
after few minutes he renounced to the purpose because he only was joking with me and he can't accept any other woman beside him except his sisters and his mum.....but,after some years,why not,I'm still looking around for a second wife,but at the moment a wife like me is more thatn enough