I have read that photo taking and filming and cameras is not allowed in Islam but are

Ershad

This culture of refutation is so sick. Seriously with all that hate in your hearts towards your fellow Muslims how do you build upon spirituality?

And these people they havent spared anyone; Shaykh Muhammad Hassan, Shaykh Ali Hasan Halabee, Abdullah Azzam Bro Abu Usamah, Dr Bilaal Philips, Abdul Raheem Green, even Muratza Khan...so who should we listen too?

They even refuted a bro cause he went to watch a movie with his family in Trinidad and Tobago. WTH!?

:salam2: Very true indeed brother! I think, at this point, this post that I stumbled upon recently is worth noting.

Only Allah knows the best!

Jazakallahu Khair!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

What is up with these rigid beings. Relax folks. When in Islam did it become a sin to ask a question?

Yes, we have a right to question. ( By the way the video is for young haughty people . It makes sense. When you are young you are judgmental. As you get older you relax and smile; you do not have to be right)

I still need to know how a scholar arrived at a decision. That is common sense. To tell me I am not competent to arrive at my own decision is arrogant. I want to be 100% sure that they know.

Here you are the same people who complain about others being full of sin for having saints and yet you put scholars as saints. Explain that to me. A scholar is not going to get you into heaven. Faith is going to get you there. The Quran is going to get you there. Doing good deeds is going to get you there.

Please tell me why the scholars do not agree on something as simple as can you take a photograph or not? That is all I am asking. What are the reasons.

Ershad

Please tell me why the scholars do not agree on something as simple as can you take a photograph or not? That is all I am asking. What are the reasons.

:wasalam:

Dear sister,

Of course, you can ask questions. There are some issues that scholars don't agree upon. It is because it is not explicit or per se in Qur'an and Hadeeth. We have to make our own interpretation from it. So, since scholars are human beings just like us, they have difference of opinion. Only Allah knows the real fact. In this case, camera didn't exist at the time Qur'an or Hadeeth came into being. So, we have to interpret it from the the knowledge that is already available. Hence, scholars have difference of opinion in interpretation. Remember, as human beings we have limitations too.

Jazakallahu Khair!

Astrugglingsoul

:salam2: brothers and sisters
before we even discuss and argue about scholars we should ask a simple question to ourselves- Are we even scholars? cause if we were scholars then definitely we wouldn't be on this website and posting threads or replies. just because we can look up stuffs in the internet and know something about arabic doesn't make us scholars at all. yesterday i actually posted a video on my thread about intellectual humility under the title 'A very important reminder'.
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79401
brothers and sisters i request you to watch that video before you pass on any comments about any scholars.
most importantly i think we got off topic also. the question on the thread was simple and Islam has clear answer to it. and many of the brothers and sisters has already given out the answer. the answer is drawing pictures of animals by hand is completely not allowed.
the question about taking picture can be answered by the following hadith.
'our actions are judged by our intentions.' think about it brothers and sisters, if you want to perform hajj and you have to travel to Mecca by plane what do you need first? a passport, right? what do we all have in our passports? our own photos, right? now are you gonna tell me that taking photo in that case is also haram? just because i have to take my photos, i am not gonna perform my hajj that's what some of you are saying?
yes of course there is the other sort of intention. if we take pictures to show off how nice looking we are and receives 100 likes and 50 comments on facebook, then we have to check ourselves and we should ask ourselves what was my intention. so i don't think there is any problems in taking photos in case of educational or emergency.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Thank you. Islam is the faith of reason and common sense.

Besides there is that hadeeth about scholars and end-times that I think about. I am cautious. Do not make something haram. Let us not make scholars into demi-gods.

It is so simple; as with all things in Islam it is the intention. Why am I going to do something. What benefit will this action have upon me. When they come up with voice recognition there may not be a need for photo images.

JenGiove

:salam2:

As posted by The General Presidency of Scholarly Research and Ifta':

[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"]Permissibility of practicing Ijtihad by whoever is qualified for it [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"] The fifth question of Fatwa no. 2171
Q: Is it permissible for a person to practice Ijtihad (juristic effort to infer expert legal rulings) in the Islamic rulings? Are there certain conditions for a Mujtahid (a scholar qualified to exercise Ijtihad)? Is it permissible for any person to give an opinion without being aware of the clear evidence supporting it? How authentic is the following Hadith: The most daring to give Fatwa (recklessly) is the most daring to enter the Hellfire. or the Hadith that means the same as this?

A: All praise is due to Allah Alone and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger, his family, and Companions! The door to Ijtihad in the rulings pertaining to Shari`ah (Islamic law) is open for any qualified person provided that they know the sources they need to use as reference - the Ayahs (Qur'anic verses) and Hadith, and have the ability to understand them and use them as supporting evidence. In addition, a Mujtahid should have knowledge of the grade of the Hadith they use as evidence and of the issues on which Ijma` (consensus) has taken place so as not to clash with the Muslims' Ijma` in the rulings they issue. Moreover, they should be familiar with the Arabic language to understand the meanings of the texts and, thus, can use them as proof and deduce conclusions from them. A person is not allowed to give their opinion on a religious issue without knowledge. They should seek guidance from Shari`ah (Islamic law), then from the scholars' opinions and follow their way of examining and using evidence to deduce conclusions. Only then, can a Mujtahid give a Fatwa based on their conviction and to benefit their religion.
As for the following Hadith: The most daring to give Fatwa (recklessly) is the most daring to enter the Hellfire it is related by Imam

(
Part No. 5; Page No. 18)

`Abdullah ibn `Abdul-Rahman Al-Darimy in his Sunan on the authority of `Ubaydullah ibn Abu Ja`far Al-Masry as a Hadith Mursal (a Hadith with no Companion of the Prophet in the chain of narration), because `Ubaydullah is a Tabi`y (follower, the generation after the Companions of the Prophet) and not a Sahaby (Companion).
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"]Fatwa no. 4875

Q: What are the causes of disagreement in legal opinions among Imams Malik, Al-Shafi'y and Ahmad ibn Hanbal (may Allah be Merciful with them)?

A: All praise is due to Allah Alone and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger, his family and Companions. To commence, there are many causes behind the differences among the Four Imams (Imams Abu Hanifah, Malik, Al-Shafi`y and Ahmad) of jurisprudence and others. Many books have been compiled in this regard as Raf` Al-Malam `An Al-A'imah Al-A`lam by

(
Part No. 5; Page No. 23)

Ibn Taymiyyah, Al-Tamhid Fi Takhrij Al-Furu` `Ala Al-Usul by Abdul-Rahim Al-Asnawy, Al-Insaf Fi Bayan Asbab Al-Ikhtilaf by Waliu-llah Al-Dahlawy, Asbab Ikhtilaf Al-Fuqaha' by `Aly Al-Khafif, Al-Insaf Fi Al-Tanbih `Ala Al-Asbab Allaty Awjabat Al-Khilaf by Abdullah ibn Sayyid and Bidayat Al-Mujtahid by Ibn Rushd. He mentioned places of agreement in certain issues and then mentioned places of disagreement. He, then, pointed out the origin of disagreement. We will mention some of these causes for you: 1- A word may be homonymous, i.e. it has two or more different meanings as in Allah's saying:
And divorced women shall wait (as regards their marriage) for three menstrual periods​
The word Qur' is a homonymous word that means the period of menstruation and the period of purity after the end of menstruation. Some of the scholars said that the divorced women should count the waiting period according to the periods of purity and others said that she has to count it according to the periods of menstruation. The two groups have proofs that support their sayings. 2- The contradiction among proofs: Jurists may disagree in giving preponderance to one of the proofs over the other when it becomes difficult to combine between them as the Hadith that prohibits a person from performing supererogatory prayer after `Asr (Afternoon) Prayer until sunset and the Hadith that prohibits the person who enters a Masjid (mosque) from sitting before performing two Rak`ahs for the salutation of the Masjid. Jurists have disagreed concerning applying the rulings of these two Hadiths upon he who enters a Masjid in a time when it is not permissible to perform Salah. Some of them gave preponderance to the Hadiths that prohibits performing Salah and some of them gave preponderance to the Hadith that asks one to perform two Rak`ahs for the salutation of the Masjid. Hadiths may also reach some of them while others do not know it. They may also disagree concerning the abrogation of the Hadith. Fatwa is not a room for detailing such issue. Therefore, we advise you to read the books mentioned above to make use of them

(
Part No. 5; Page No. 24)

if you are a knowledge seeker.
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

esperanza

revert of many years
I have read that photo taking and filming and cameras is not allowed in Islam but are there exceptions to this can photos be taken for educational reasons ?

how did this post manage to get into a major disagreement,,,
it realy is a confusing topic as pictures are such a part of our life today....for examlpe is taking pictures of our family of our children when small ,is that not ok,and what about books we read to our children???

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

Sometimes when we need to gain understanding I ask hard questions. The question you ask has been answered.

Although there is disagreement amongst the scholars the consensus is the middle course. When we need to have documentation or there is a necessity we can take photographs. It stands to reason that Muslims do not misuse photography. We have to decide as individuals what the extremes are. Let me put it this way.

Our scholars try to prevent us from harming ourselves. The most conservative understand that many of us will abuse photography. Let me be blunt we do not want Muslims to indulge in *!*!*!*!ography or the portfolios of models that bare all. Thus they say no.
Others understand that we need documentation; some like family photographs and the like so they say ok with some reservations.

We as individuals have the choice. We are given the rulings now it is for us to decide how we are going to implement that in our lives.

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all

let me tell u what i know about the pious scholars in my area- what do they do with regard to pictures.
apart from what is necessary, like passport, drivers licence etc, they all stay away from it.
even though many have advanced cell phones with good cameras- youd never find any of them having even a picture of their children on the phone.
the imam of my musjid is also very particular- if i download an interesting video clip about some current affair & put it on my phone to get him to watch it, he makes me start the video & then turns the phone upside down so that theres only audio & no video.
i use his phone & i know that theres no pics on it except for those of waterfalls & musjids taken last year when he went out in the path of Allah to Brazil.

all of these pious scholars/ulama/sheikhs DONT even have a TV at home.
my musjids imam likes to say:
"when in doubt, leave it out"

they prefer to err on the side of caution.

then there are other scholars who apparently dont see anything wrong with videos & they have TV's at home & video clips & pics on their phones...

the temptation to abuse is too strong & its much safer to stay away.
just because its available, does mean we have to use everything.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In essence what you are suggesting is the only time a person needs to consult a scholar is when there is a need. If I were not in need of a doctor I would go my merry way.

Yet, I see many putting blind faith in the words of a scholar. And that is what I question. Not the scholar, heaven forbid the scholar but those who follow the scholar exclusively.

Many a person is able to practice his faith simply following the Quran and the Sunna. Some may need the help of a scholar. Some may not. In simple words a person may be a pious Muslim and not need the advice of a scholar. That is a true statement.

By the way I think discussions of this nature help everyone out. We have to be absolutely positive about our faith. And this helps us sort out who we are and why we strive to Please Allah.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

We do need the scholars to have a better understanding of the deen.

We read various Books of Tafseer to understand the Quraan better. We read Sharah of ahadeeth to understand the nature or the rulings of a hadeeth. Do we think we can understand the Quran just by reading the translations in English? Nor understand a hadeeth just by reading it in Bukhaari and Muslim especially if the words are that we are unfamiliar of?

We do not simply read an ayaat then interpret it with our own minds. So yes, if we are not student of knowledge, we are not competent to come up to any conclusions about the words of Allaah with such limited knowledge. Wa nauthobillah!

But neither are we taking scholars as saints or semi-God. That's shirk. La hawla walla quwwata illa billah! Scholars or non-scholars are all slaves of Allaah who are infallible. But scholars, people of knowledge are acknowledge and some are given a higher rank than layman people. [Allaah knows best who are and who aren't]

And if one thinks that they can just hold on to the Quran and sunnah using their own reading, logic, understanding and interpretations, then that is misleading. Wa nauthobillahi minzalik! May we be far from such people.

And arrogance is not when we are saying we are not competent when it comes to the deen of Allaah. That is humbleness. A true believer, even if he is the most intelligent/knowledgeable person around, he won't say "I am the most intelligent man, so seek knowledge from me". He'll instead say "There is still a lot that I do not know and may Allaah shower us with His I'lm to the believers - to be faqeeh in the deen" and try to convey/advice/teach as best as he could. In contrast, arrogance is when we think we know it all.

Allaah forbid that I write or post here for the sake of argument or worse; for the sake of "winning" [I am correct, you are wrong]. Sometimes a sentence of ours, if someone took it the wrong way; it can become misleading to others. May we be extra extra careful every time when we write anything. I am only to say that which is truth, nothing but the truth and refute falsehood.

I seek forgiveness from Allaah and pray that may He make us steadfast in our faith, sincere in our path to seek of His Knowledge and have genuine intention to only please Him in this World and the Hereafter. Ameen.

P.S: Just to let those who's reading knows, I am not in a state of emotion when I am writing. Because if I do, I will stop for a while, give myself time to think properly, make lots of Istighfaar then only I'll write when I am a bit more peaceful.

Wa'alaykummussalaam wa rahmatullah.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister, slow down.

Reread what has been written. Some do not and some do. Allah gives some wisdom as a gift. Some humans are quite capable of independent thought. You are running in the superlative.
Do not project unto humanity what you crave. There are millions of pious Muslims who have no need of scholars. And they lead good lives. There are millions of pious Muslims who dependent on scholars, such as yourself, who lead good lives.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In terms of inheritance I would hire a Muslim lawyer.

I am an advocate of education. I think there is room for scholars but I am wary and concerned that we not elevate a scholar above a good old human being. At the end of the day a scholar is a human being.

Funny thing that you mention the Afghans. ( for those who have been on the site for a while..you know I love this ).

Who are the Afghans..do you include the Taliban. Please educate me on why they life a simple life. I am very serious.

Precious Star

Aapa is right. I have seen and read posts by people who will not make a single independent decision without consulting a scholar or a shaikh. Often, many of our questions can be answered by reference to the Holy Quran. Allah SWT has told us that the Quran is a complete book, a guide for humanity. It is important that we do not dilute the message by placing "shaikhs" and "scholars" in a semi-deified position.

We do not have pope's in Islam. That is the difference between Islam, and Christianity and Judaisim. In regards to the latter two religiions, so much of what they practice is "man-made". The most significant example i can give you, is the contention that Jesus is the son of God. No where in the Bible does it say that. Yet, the Roman empire when it adopted Christianity as its religion created this dogma.

We should look to learned people when we have questions, but really, those questions should pertain to matters of ambiguity. My understanding is that the Quran is quite clear on laws of inheritance; why would I need to "confirm" my understanding with a "scholar".

Does the Quran set out guidelines for who constitutes a scholar?

The Quran was sent down as a book for all of us. Do you really think that a small bedouin family living in the desert in Oman, or Jordan, or Bahrain, have an obligation to seek out a scholar before they implement Islam in their life? There are so many illiterate people in the world. Much of Pakistan is illiterate and do not have ready access to the internet, books, libraries, etc. Where on earth are they going to seek out a scholar? They live their lives based on the Quran and based on what they are taught as children. That doesn't make them less righteous than the posters onthis site who have access to volumes upon volumes of "rulings" by various scholars, shaikhs, etc.
What about the people in the horn of Africa right now...must they seek confirmation from a shaikh that their way of practicing Islam is correct?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, that is correct.

I am not saying do not have a scholar. But, what I am fearing is a 'position" of dominance of a scholar in a faith that tells us it is easy to follow. We have a book that is clear.

Yes, there are some that need consultation. Yet, I keep thinking that we as laypersons are told to we have each other to consult.

I am not walking into the area of Fiqh. I am addressing simple ordinary people.

Astrugglingsoul

Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, that is correct.

I am not saying do not have a scholar. But, what I am fearing is a 'position" of dominance of a scholar in a faith that tells us it is easy to follow. We have a book that is clear.

Yes, there are some that need consultation. Yet, I keep thinking that we as laypersons are told to we have each other to consult.

I am not walking into the area of Fiqh. I am addressing simple ordinary people.

As-salamu alaykum sister
i totally agree with you. the problem of youths nowadays is they turn to islam and follow some particular scholars as their mentors. some follow an annonymous blogger, someone is subscribed to some youtube channel and so on. but when they do that they immediately start to feel they are on the right path and others are not. so when someone else differs with their opinion they either feel offended or start arguing instantly. this is one kind of arrogance and it need to be cured. i am not trying to point to anyone in particular but in general maybe we all have this same problem. as long we have the quran and the hadith it is better for us to follow that on the first place. ( the things i have written i actually learned from a video but i am not posting it since we are having a big debate over scholars )

strive-may-i

show off... and the fan boys

I guess we are trying to drive home the point - there is a lot of "show off attitude", fan boy mentality and either you are with us or with them viewpoint.

Is that right?

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister, slow down.

Reread what has been written. Some do not and some do. Allah gives some wisdom as a gift. Some humans are quite capable of independent thought. You are running in the superlative.
Do not project unto humanity what you crave. There are millions of pious Muslims who have no need of scholars. And they lead good lives. There are millions of pious Muslims who dependent on scholars, such as yourself, who lead good lives.

Wa'alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullah.

I do not see where in my post was I "moving too fast"? How do you actually "judge" people for moving too fast or too slow as I see you telling that many times to others too before.

Some humans are quite capable of independent thought.

True. But we are talking about the Book of Allaah; AlQuraan and the Sunnah, two things that the Prophet :saw2: left to us that will preserve us so long that we stick to it strongly. Now, since not everything is straight-forward in the Quran and Sunnah [or else, you won't see people asking who were this ayaat referred to, what actually happened during that time, what is the story behind the revelation of an ayaat -- those many questions which cannot be answered just by using the intelligence of the mind] and because Arabic language has its own eloquency that even one word can be derived into many, different meanings, we have specialists in the field who are the scholars to expand the knowledge to us or to explain to us in a simpler, understandable language.

Of course, one can use their own intelligent, capable independent thoughts, so long that they do not interpret ayaat of Allaah the wrong way [which is a grave sin and Allaah even cursed upon those who talks about Allaah which is untrue] nor even let the other people around them astray -- by passing out thoughts based on their own intelligence which MIGHT be true, might be false.

Scholars or in arabic - U'laamaa - the word "U'laamaa" is mentioned in the Quran. You might want to check what they ayaat talks about. And as have mentioned [did people missed on that or simply ignore it] that the Prophet :saw2: himself said that U'laama being the inheritors of the Prophets; and now you're saying "some millions of pious Muslims who lead good lives" are in no need of scholars? Nothing else for me to say on that other than that I pray Allaah guides us all to the true path.

Just like how I always remind myself and the others to be careful when you write anything, especially because this is an Islamic site, then extra extra precautions should be taken into account when talking about the Words of Allaah and the Sunnah.

As far as for pious people I have met, there have not been anyone who have "rejected" or saying scholars are unneeded to lead a good life. When they talk, they always refer to the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah along with the scholarly commentary.

I guess we are trying to drive home the point - there is a lot of "show off attitude", fan boy mentality and either you are with us or with them viewpoint.

Is that right?

Do you mind explaining in a simpler sentence? "Showing off attitude" - who were you referring it to? To the layman people blindly following the scholars or just some average, normal human beings?

I think there is sufficient information on here for one to decide what to do regarding the topic in question. In fact, i think we have already discussed another topic here about scholars. Everybody is free to choose to live how they want, at end of the day we each have to answer for our own selves on J-day and no one else.

I have to whole-heartedly agree with you.

Brother Mabsoot's thread on Quran & Sunnah vs. . . explains it all.

Also, if this discussion continues, I do not think it will lead us to a positive one.

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamaoalaikom wa rahamtullahi wa barakaatuhu,

Dear Brother,

That is why I posted those links and unlike you say he is very prominent speaker and his lectures are acknowledged by most muslim scholars around the world (e.g. Dr.Bilal Philips)

Only Allah knows the best!

Jazakallahu Khair!

My brother Abu Ameena believes in stoning of fornicators and killing of apostates, does Uncle Naik believes the same?

No, so they may not talk against each other outta respect as muslim should, but that doesn't mean Abu Ameena approves of his ideas!

Check Klassicks thread in Introduce yourself to know what I'm talking about!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this USLESS thread should be closed now!

The post by akhi abdul-aziz has a link which covers everything including the ikhtilaaf and all. If you want to reject what is in Islam, upto you, let the others convey the truth without you forcing your own deviated opinions down everyone's throat .

Jazakallah khair!