Islam and Muslims in America before Columbus

JenGiove

Ps.Could you tell me something about The Osage tribe or site me a good source?i have always been fascinated by your people and because i am probably gonna be marrying a girl which is Half Osage half German Irish as well .She s the most Humble ,rare and beautiful thing i ve seen in this world and i don t wanna have her yelling at me.:redface:But my cultural background somehow imposed on me to be a little Macho and stubborn at times :SMILY346:can t help it:redface:

:salam2: Brother

You are marring a German Irish AND Osage woman?!?!?!?! ROTFL! You're brave!!! I'm English, Irish, French, French-Canadian, German, Jewish and Polish....with community acceptance and marriage with Mohawk (basically, that means that my blood may not be Mohawk, but the heart is....and I also married a Mohawk man, which cemented it>.

You asked for a source to learn. What is it the Muslims teach? Always trust the source? http://www.osagetribe.com/

justoneofmillion

:salam2: Brother

You are marring a German Irish AND Osage woman?!?!?!?! ROTFL! You're brave!!! I'm English, Irish, French, French-Canadian, German, Jewish and Polish....with community acceptance and marriage with Mohawk (basically, that means that my blood may not be Mohawk, but the heart is....and I also married a Mohawk man, which cemented it>.

You asked for a source to learn. What is it the Muslims teach? Always trust the source? http://www.osagetribe.com/

:salam2:Thanks .well am myself i mean my DNA is confused to where it belongs as well i bet it must be conducting an intensive interactive monologue,I got no business in it .I endure and give up .Am Arab ,German, French.Am human in my heart , i try to be and of course Muslim in my soul.Like Dr Tariq Ramadan would put it Am European by culture,universalist by principle,Muslim in relation to life and death..Algerian/ German by memory ...French by nationality , culinary and literrary pleasure except when 3 or some little pig swims inside the casserole(Dish) well the last one was from me haha .Go and try to understand!

.My reason says to diversify my sources of information in order To make up my mind on what my stance should be.Islam is no different than that.Islam is reason.

Peace be unto you.Let me eat now,stop playing with my conscience.:angryred::SMILY259:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qur'an 49:13
O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

Feed the hungry and visit a sick person, and free the captive, if he be unjustly confined. Assist any person oppressed, whether Muslim or non-Muslim.”
- Prophet Muhammad

Youth is like a stream, if it is not directed to its course it meanders and swallows its tail.- Jude Ezedike African proverb

"The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our lives the clearer we should see through it"
Jean Paul Sartre.

"The one-eyed person is a beauty in the country of the blind"Arabic proverb

Laws are spider webs through which the big flies pass and the little ones get caught. Honore de Balzac

“Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it.”Fedor Dostoyevski

"“It is not only what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are accountable.” Moliere

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.Ancient chinese proverb

"God gives the nuts but he does not crack them"Kafka

"Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

JenGiove

:salam2:Thanks .well am myself i mean my DNA is confused to where it belongs as well i bet it must be conducting an intensive interactive monologue,I got no business in it .I endure and give up .Am Arab ,German, French.Am human in my heart , i try to be and of course Muslim in my soul.Like Dr Tariq Ramadan would put it Am European by culture,universalist by principle,Muslim in relation to life and death..Algerian/ German by memory ...French by nationality , culinary and literrary pleasure except when 3 or some little pig swims inside the casserole(Dish) well the last one was from me haha .Go and try to understand!

.My reason says to diversify my sources of information in order To make up my mind on what my stance should be.Islam is no different than that.Islam is reason.

Peace be unto you.Let me eat now,stop playing with my conscience.:angryred::SMILY259:

:salam2:

ROTFL! You know, it took me a full day to reread this linguistically diverse post! lol! Why is it that at three in the morning, I understood it the best?! lol! Only Creator knows...

Having problems with your conscience? AWWWWWW....I pity you. Feeling guilty about something are we? :) *I* have not been playing with anything except my son...so :p

Mairo

Maryama
:salam2:

Very interesting thread. The link to the other thread http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/sho...tive+americans is good too.

Love to learn about varied approaches to and different perspectives of history. I am Amercian of English descent (my descendents have been in this land since the time of the Mayflower), but ever since I was a child I had a strong affinity for the Native American (along with African American) people and culture. So much so that I hated and was ashamed by my own racial and cultural makeup for a long time. It actually wasn't until I lived in Africa that I learned to appreciate the things that truly make me unique, which included a deep appreciation for the good parts in American culture, the history in my family, as well as the intrinsic English qualities in me that I am now proud of. But I digress . . .

I just loved and was drawn to everything about the Native Amercians / American Indians, but I think especially the core values and way of living in symbiotic relationship with each other and the land. They definitely also have a history of prophethood among them, evidences of powerful guidance through dreams, and amazing healing traditions, among other things. There are many parallels between their traditional beliefs about God and those in Islam. Just thought I would share a few things, the similarities to Islam are quite evident I think.

Native American Traditional Code of Ethics

1.Each morning upon rising, and each evening before sleeping, give thanks for the life within you and for all life, for the good things the Creator has given you and for the opportunity to grow a little more each day. Consider your thoughts and actions of the past day and seek for the courage and strengthto be a better person. Seek for the things that will benefit others (everyone).

2.Respect. Respect means "To feel or show honor or esteem for someone or something; to consider the well being of, or to treat someone or somethin with deference or courtesy". Showing respect is a basic law of life.

a. Treat every person from the tiniest child to the oldest elder with respect at all times.

b. Special respect should be given to Elders, Parents, Teachers, and Community Leaders.

c. No person should be made to feel "put down" by you; avoid hurting other hearts as you would avoid a deadly poison.

d. Touch nothing that belongs to someone else without permission, or an understanding between you.

e. Respect the privacy of every person, never intrude on a person's quiet moment or personal space.

f. Never walk between people that are conversing.

g. Never interrupt people who are conversing.

h. Speak in a soft voice, especially when you are in the presence of Elders, strangers or others to whom special respect is due.

i. Do not speak unless invited to do so at gatherings where Elders are present (except to ask what is expected of you, should you be in doubt).

j. Never speak about others in a negative way, whether they are present or not.

k. Treat the earth and all of her aspects as your mother. Show deep respect for the mineral world, the plant world, and the animal world. Do nothing to pollute our Mother, rise up with wisdom to defend her.

l. Show deep respect for the beliefs and religion of others.

m. Listen with courtesy to what others say, even if you feel that what they are saying is worthless. Listen with your heart.

n. Respect the wisdom of the people in council. Once you give an idea to a council meeting it no longer belongs to you. It belongs to the people. Respect demands that you listen intently to the ideas of others in council and that you do not insist that your idea prevail. Indeed you should freely support the ideas of others if they are true and good, even if those ideas ideas are quite different from the ones you have contributed. The clash of ideas brings forth the Spark of Truth.

3.Once a council has decided something in unity, respect demands that no one speak secretly against what has been decided. If the council has made an error, that error will become apparent to everyone in its own time.

4.Be truthful at all times, and under all conditions.

5.Always treat your guests with honor and consideration. Give of your best food, your best blankets, the best part of your house, and your best service to your guests.

6.The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honor of one is the honor of all.

7.Receive strangers and outsiders with a loving heart and as members of the human family.

8.All the races and tribes in the world are like the different colored flowers of one meadow. All are beautiful. As children of the Creator they must all be respected.

9.To serve others, to be of some use to family, community, nation, and the world is one of the main purposes for which human beings have been created. Do not fill yourself with your own affairs and forget your most important talks. True happiness comes only to those who dedicate their lives to the service of others.

10.Observe moderation and balance in all things.

11.Know those things that lead to your well-being, and those things that lead to your destruction.

12.Listen to and follow the guidance given to your heart. Expect guidance to come in many forms; in prayer, in dreams, in times of quiet solitude, and in the words and deeds of wise Elders and friends.

Authorship:
Original version printed in 1982 in the book,"The Sacred Tree" by the Four Worlds Development Project .
Adapted and reprinted in the "Inter-Tribal Times" October 1994. The adapted version is presented here.

Also some proverbs:
When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us. - Arapaho
If we wonder often, the gift of knowledge will come. - Arapaho
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee
We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota
All who have died are equal. - Comanche
Remember that your children are not your own, but are lent to you by the Creator. - Mohawk
There is no death, only a change of worlds. - Duwamish
The rainbow is a sign from Him who is in all things. - Hopi
Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future. - Lumbee
If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself. - Minquass
Do not wrong or hate your neighbor for it is not he that you wrong but yourself. - Pima
Sharing and giving are the ways of God. - Sauk
It is no longer good enough to cry peace, we must act peace, live peace and live in peace. - Shenandoah
With all things and in all things, we are relatives. - Sioux
Wisdom comes only when you stop looking for it and start living the life the Creator intended for you. - Hopi
Take only what you need and leave the land as you found it. - Arapaho

:wasalam:

Mairo

Maryama
:salam2:ps.Could you tell me something about The Osage tribe or site me a good source?i have always been fascinated by your people and because i am probably gonna be marrying a girl which is Half Osage half German Irish as well .She s the most Humble ,rare and beautiful thing i ve seen in this world and i don t wanna have her yelling at me.:redface:But my cultural background somehow imposed on me to be a little Macho and stubborn at times :SMILY346:can t help it:redface:

:ma:

Am very happy to find this :jumpclap: It is wonderful news that you seem to have found your match, inshaAllah!

Do tell, is there an official engagement or date yet? Don't forget to send me an invitation when the time comes akhi

Wishing you every blessing and happiness, you surely deserve it my friend

:wasalam: