Islam's perspective on Baptism

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Hello,

I think this question was last behind my last question. What is ghusl?

Thanks

Hello Ladybug,

ghusl (or actually..Ghasl)...is Islamic for *bathing to wash off major impurities* which come from intimate relations (between a husband and a wife)..and matters of the sort...the world *ghasl* literally translates to *washing* or *washing off*..that's all :)

Peace

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Oh, no babies and young children are suppose to be clean to a certain age from what I understand. :)

I'm not sure if you christian and from which denomination, however below link may provide prove that newborn babies are to be baptized as soon as possible otherwise why Pope is reviewing "limbo" or the status of unbaptized infants? I never personally seen people being baptized in church, but I did watched "American funniest home video" sometime ago, small boy (carried by his mother) being baptized by at a church and the boy said "you are bad priest". I do remember watching the same channel with baby being baptized.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5412166.stm

Thanks again for your help guys! :)

Your welcome. May Allah guide you.

Almeftah

Baptism: a Christian sacrament signifying spiritual cleansing and rebirth.

There are two type of cleansing:

1. Body cleansing, where water is used to wash the body or parts of it which would be sufficient.

2. Sould or spirit cleansing: cant see how water can clean a soul or a spirit. So we do it by supplicating to Allah, reading his words (The Holy Quran), Committing to the teachings of Allah's Messenger, making charities. For nothing can cause the soul to be clean but Allah, So we do all that he pleases.

Hope this answers your question.

Ladybug3478

Ladybug,

I am a little confused as to what exactly you are asking. You mention baptism as recognized in the New Testament and ask if it has any relevance in Islam. Baptism for the sake of salvation or washing sin away is not recognized in Islam nor Judaism.

The reason the Mikvah must be from a natural spring is that what was commanded in Rabbincal literature such as the Talmud. Total immersion was also described by the rabbis and that is why the whole body must be submerged. Many practices of Jews have been lost in the annals of time and basically it's tradition. I never was told to drink the water in the Mikvah so I have no idea about that.

What is described in the News Testament is not a Mikvah (purification) since Mikvahs had nothing to do with "Washing away the sins of the past." A Mikvah is about washing away impurities such as secretions from the body, this is deemed "ritually unclean." So basically what I am saying is the immersion described in the New Testament(or sprinkling or however it's described) is not a Mikvah. Mikvah is very, very close to what is a ghusl in Islam. Baptism has no comparison in either Judaism or Islam.

Hello ShyHijab,

I got the 'drinking' water from two places.

1. I read something that said Jesus told the Essenes to go to the river and and clean themselves with the water and drink the water in a type of ritual. I think the purpose was for purification of the body and soul. But, I need to verify this.

then...

2. I saw it on a show called Mark & Olly and the Machigenga tribe:). Well, it seems Mark and Olly did something wrong and had to be cleansed. So, the tribesmen brought them to a waterfall and pond or something. And, Mark and Olly had to drink the water and then submerge themselves in the water for purification.

So, somehow these two similar traditions seem to attempt the same result. I was just curious and wondered how these people across the world had traditions somewhat similar that date back so far. More importantly, I was curious about Jesus.

Today, I learned of the Zam Zam well and was just curious of it's purpose. Why do the people drink the water?

Thank you

Ladybug3478

Hello,

I now remember why it had to be a natural water source. Because the life is in the water. Kind of like the energy in water. And, I think that is how and why it can clean your body and your soul. Maybe the life in the water cleans the soul and the water cleans the body. Maybe.

May God guide us!

Thanks

BigAk

Salaam,

There is no "baptism" per se in Judaism. Rather the Jews sometimes take a special bath called a "mikvah" which is very close to what we do in ghusl in Islam. The Mikvah is usually after childbirth (40 days post partum I believe), after menstruation and also other forms of impurity in the religion. But the Mikvah has nothing to do with removing sin or salvation, that is a Chrsitian idea.

Baptism as mentioned in the New Testament in Christianity is not a recognized practice among Jews, not even the ancient Jews. Whether or not baptism (as recorded in the New Testament) is a edited part of the bible is not known. Christians will often tell you that their bible is unaltered but often after researching the editing that the Nicean council did they often are shaken. Books were removed and some books were edited heavily. They also voted on which should remain and which should go. The letters from Paul was added later on and really distorted the religion. They also switched the order the books came in to fit a time line. I find this humorous since Revelations warns against adding to "this book" ie., Bible, yet many of the books were written after Revelations.

Just because it was written in the New Testament does not mean it actually happened. Since baptism is not mentioned in Qu'ran or Hadith I consider it a bidah.

Wasalaam

Excellent post... very informative indeed.

We are indeed very lucky to have a person with a jewish background to help us understand matters of our cousins. Thank you very much sister shyhijabi. May Allah reward you for your efforts.. :)

bahabob

I need help understanding if it's wrong for a Muslim baby to be baptised and raised under both religions. I have married a Christian girl that would like to baptise our girl. My gut is telling me it’s not allowed even though I’m going to teach her all I know. Please help me figure the out.

A brother in need

BigAk

I need help understanding if it's wrong for a Muslim baby to be baptised and raised under both religions. I have married a Christian girl that would like to baptise our girl. My gut is telling me it’s not allowed even though I’m going to teach her all I know. Please help me figure the out.

A brother in need

Have you discussed with your wife aspects about religion before? Have you thought about what which religion your children were to adapt prior to marriage??

From the feel of your post, I gather not...

If I were you, I would study all I can get my hand on about Christianity. Soon you'll find out the many weak points of the faith and you can present to your wife in form of dialog. I would start with the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMgiKPVIAI&feature=related

I ask Allah to help you.

revert2007

Love Fishing

A brother in need
ur profile says ur female..how come ur brother ????<<<suspicious>>>>