Lack of Good Suitors

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:, I hope you're all in the best state of health and iman.

I recently came across this article and I absolutely love it. It affirms the voices in my head yet at the same time concerns me that the lack of good men is a growing epidemic. The article itself is not recent but still applies to today's society. It's an excellent read and will definitely show you that you are not alone if you feel you're dealing with this issue.

http://www.zawaj.com/american-muslim-women-complain-of-lack-of-good-suitors/

American Muslim Women Complain of Lack of Good Suitors

Afaf*, 25, has been searching for a husband for a solid two years to no avail.

“All my friends were getting married by the age of 22, so, naturally, I wanted to be part of the “wedding club,” she recalls. “And, of course, there was this romantic notion that it would be the love story of love stories.”

Afaf started feeling the pressure as her friends talked endlessly about wedding dresses, halal caterers and honeymoons, even though she had not been planning on getting married while in college.

“For whatever reason, getting married seemed to be the only, if not main, goal they strived for,” she says. “So, I felt I had to have this goal as well, and felt lacking among my friends that I was not married upon completion of my undergraduate studies.”

Thus began her search after graduating from college. When suitors came knocking, Afaf was surprised at the mediocrity of the suitors available and was left wondering, “Where are all the ‘good guys’?”

Afaf, now a first-year law student, is one of thousands of American Muslim women between the ages of 25 and 30 struggling to find a decent suitor. Educated, pious, beautiful and accomplished, these women should have a gaggle of like-minded men waiting outside their doors. Unfortunately, the few, if any, men who approach these women appear less than satisfactory.

“I tend to meet two types [of men],” says Maryam*, 28, who has also been searching for a mate since college. “The first is the practicing Muslim brother who has his act together, but unfortunately has some really incompatible ideas about women and gender roles. The second type I meet is progressive and open-minded and is truly looking for a partner in life, but is not a practicing Muslim.”

“For me,” Afaf says, “a good man is someone who lives a balanced life between Western and Eastern culture, giving precedence to religion.”

Being Seen as a Maid and a Cook

The lack of noteworthy male suitors is a topic frequently discussed between female friends. Muslim women are frustrated with the options left, and many are worried that their degrees and careers are getting in the way of meeting Mr. Right.

“We’ve been pushing young women to get educated and to get jobs, and now they’re being penalized for their ambition,” according to Munira Ezzeldine, author of “Before the Wedding: 150 Questions for Muslims to Ask Before Getting Married.”

While Women are in University, the Men Move On

Dr. Maher Hathout, spokesman for the Islamic Center of Southern California, agrees. “Men are being programmed by their parents to look for a specific kind of woman: submissive, comforting, shy, and obedient,” he says. “The reality is that women are educated and looking to be comrades in marriage.”

The marriage crisis materializes when these women in their late 20s and early 30s become settled in their careers or studies and seem like less desirable options to men because they will not bend into this traditional role. While these women work on their personal goals, young Muslim men appear to give up on them and marry from “back home” or marry non-Muslims, making the pool of suitors even smaller.

“Education is becoming a sore point for the girls because the guy moves on,” says Shaikh Sadullah Khan, executive director of Religious Affairs at the Islamic Center of Irvine. “Our immigrant community has this mentality that our kid must graduate first, and for the girl, we’re stressing graduation versus marriage.”

Indeed, a startling number of young Muslim women are finding themselves scrambling to find a husband before reaching their 30s and possibly never marrying. Many accomplished and educated young women end up lowering their standards for the sake of avoiding lifelong loneliness.

“Unless this crisis is addressed seriously, honestly and scientifically, it will lead to the disintegration of our community through a dilution of the next generation Islamically, a sudden revolt against marriage by women or a decrease in self-esteem among wives who lowered their standards just to marry,” Hathout warns.

One young Muslim bachelor still searching for a spouse shares his take on the seeming lack of “good guys” on his weblog, “Marriage & Islam: The Quest for the Sweet One.”

In the post, Quest, as he is called to maintain anonymity, states that the worthiest bachelors start looking for a spouse when they are in their early 20s to “satisfy their built-in, intense desire for women. … And this desire is always there, in the back of every man’s mind since puberty, like a ticking [bomb].”

These young, pious men begin looking for a wife, Quest reasons, who is closest to their age, basically, 19 to 21 years old.

“And what are these ‘good, smart ambitious girls’ doing when they’re in that age range?” Quest writes. “They’re also busy working on their education” and aren’t considering marriage. Or those who are considering marriage may be in a different location, so the two never meet, and the bachelors get fed up and marry from back home, he says.

Essentially, Quest emphasizes that the lack of a meeting forum is at the heart of the issue.

“I think that is the BIGGEST problem Muslims are scattered all over the country, and we’re not well connected. It’s hard to identify, know about, and meet the families of all the ‘good girls’ in a major metropolitan city, let alone the country,” he explains. “We put all these obstacles between faithful Muslim guys and girls, that I think even a Muslim Tom Cruise would have a hard time marrying!”

With the current circumstances at hand, Ezzeldine advises young women to plan realistically.

“You have to realize that you can’t have it all,” she says. “It’s not going to be a fairy-tale where you excel at school, work 40-hour weeks, and marry a perfect guy. If you want to focus on a job or a higher degree, know that you might not have time to meet people.”

Quest echoes this sentiment by clarifying that women shouldn’t have to give up their goals, but should realize that in doing so, they are taking a risk.

“The longer they delay marriage in favor of education, the less [number of ] eligible men they’ll meet once they’re ready for marriage,” he says. “And marriage and education are not necessarily conflicting. With the right husband, both can continue. It’s definitely a topic that should be brought up when considering a potential husband,” he adds.

Dr. Hathout also favors a path that allows for both education and marriage to flourish simultaneously.

“We need to change the current family model into one that builds the self, the family, and each other at the same time,” he says. “Think of marriage as a tennis match you want to play doubles, not singles, to win. In other words, struggle together and build your empire together. You are ready for marriage as long as you can get food on the table and a roof over your head, and there’s a potentiality for growth,” he stresses.

“However, while these men are impressed with a successful and active woman, they do not consider her ‘marriage material,’” Ezzeldine adds. “Despite the elevation of women, many men have maintained traditional ideas as to the type of wife they seek. After all, they do not see anything wrong with the way their mother was.”

“I recently had a suitor who told me he would be willing to help me [around the house] by not making a mess,” Afaf recalls, adding he also told her she should not use her job as an excuse to ask him to help out at home.

“Furthermore, if he comes home from work hungry, I guess that would mean I would have to work part-time in order to have dinner prepared and ready when he comes home. I think that is the most frustrating aspect of being a female, only to be seen as a maid and a cook,” she says.

The Prophet’s (pubh) Marriage to Khadijah

Ezzeldine draws on the life of the Prophet Muhammad for guidance, specifically the example of his relationship with Khadijah.

“The Prophet’s first wife, Khadijah, was an established career woman who was 15 years older than her husband,” Ezzeldine says. “Khadijah was a very confident and successful woman who actually proposed to the 24-year-old Muhammad. Yet, the Prophet was not intimidated by her nor found her “unmarriageable.” They maintained a strong marriage as she continued to be a businesswoman, as well as wife and mother.”

Ezzeldine goes on to remind Muslims that Prophet Muhammad and Khadijah were married for 28 years, the longest of all his marriages.

“Many Muslim women seek not to compete with men, but rather to establish a partnership with their spouse,” she continues. “Ultimately, these women want to be cherished and loved in the same way that the Prophet loved Khadijah. This type of partnership in marriage can only exist when both people are accepting and respectful of one another’s ambitions and priorities in life.”

Afaf has not given up searching for Mr. Right, but meanwhile uses school as a welcome distraction.

“I used to be obsessed about marriage until I entered law school,” she says. “Pursuing my graduate studies has really allowed me to learn a lot about myself and to focus on things that matter. It is very sad to see girls who are 22 and depressed as to why they are not married. I have no problem with a woman who chooses to be a wife and a mother, but I do have problem if she believes that is all she can be or doesn’t define herself as accomplished until she attains her MRS. Degree.”

* Names have been changed.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The Muslim world needs to do something to address the plight of young girls. If a woman is not educated she will work menial jobs and be more tired.

As for he will help around the house...yeah...that is a man made up in Hollywood. All women do 90 % of the work.

Keep the faith girls...

rightpath_357

I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to slap that "suitor" in the face. EXCUSE? help out by not making a mess?! He'd HONESTLY be plain forth asking for it. This article makes it seem that women want marriage more then men. In some cases, it might be true. In others, it's clear that this person didn't do their homework ;)

Other than that it's a good article.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Well sweetie, it IS true. Alot of the time it's women who want marriage more than men. Why? Because unfortunately alot of the double standards that exist in Muslim society let men get away with some pretty taboo things like dating and premarital relationships whereas if a woman so much as even glances at a man who isn't her husband she's labeled as questionable. In other words, it's alot harder for women to establish romantic relationships than it is for men and the only way women can do it without ruining their reputations (most of the time) is to do it within the confines of marriage.

Hope that made sense :)

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
She means that women become so fed up with the lack of good men that many of them give up on finding the kind of man they really want and start settling for anyone. We all have a "list" of the qualities that we want in a husband but for some women, it's hard to find men with those qualities. So sometimes when they feel they no longer want to wait any longer, they decide to "lower their standards" and marry men who don't have those qualities simply for the sake of getting married.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

I don't know how what kind of response I will get to my input to this thread.

But anyhow, some brothers look for someone who can stay at house, look after their elderly parents and then start a family of their own to whom the mother is dedicated 100% with the husband being the sole bread earner.

I don't see anything wrong with this, nor would I classify this as extreme. A few years back this was the norm in almost all societies (and still is in many parts of the world). I for one (and many scholars agree) hold the belief that women should take up profession where they are truly needed by the Ummah (such as teaching female kids, gynecologists, women doctors, women social service etc etc) and not get into fields traditionally dominated by men as it would also force them to be around non mahram men all the time.

I know this opinion doesn't please many sisters on TTI and other muslim women, but progressing society doesn't mean we follow the pack. We adopt what is better after it passes the litmus test of our Deen.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Let the old one speak.

After two failed marriages..graduate school..the whole career bit..:

If you can afford to stay at home and raise your children you are truly blessed. If you can make heaven for your husband you have won the lottery ticket.

A career is part of a life. But you can walk away from it and not miss it one bit.

We need to progress towards Allah subhana talla. Marriage to a pious brother makes the journey easier. That is why Allah has told us to marry.

In simple words it ain't about the money, the cars, the houses, the vacations. A house full of gold could not give you the comfort of a husband.

So brother, you are correct. I have to speak the truth. As they say in my part of the world..Amen brother..amen.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

but who is to blamed? we all are responsible...the govt.,the society and sisters too (sorry but thats wht i see) :)

due to individualism, even in 20's (a wonderful time to marry), many of us think that we are not *mature* for marriage responsibilites. many (not all) sisters primary concern is just studies, work....to be financially independent in their 20's....

PS: i am not anti-sisters :)

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

But anyhow, some brothers look for someone who can stay at house, look after their elderly parents and then start a family of their own to whom the mother is dedicated 100% with the husband being the sole bread earner.

I don't see anything wrong with this, nor would I classify this as extreme. A few years back this was the norm in almost all societies (and still is in many parts of the world). I for one (and many scholars agree) hold the belief that women should take up profession where they are truly needed by the Ummah (such as teaching female kids, gynecologists, women doctors, women social service etc etc) and not get into fields traditionally dominated by men as it would also force them to be around non mahram men all the time.

I know this opinion doesn't please many sisters on TTI and other muslim women, but progressing society doesn't mean we follow the pack. We adopt what is better after it passes the litmus test of our Deen.

:wasalam:,

mashallah bro. i cant add anything more. but sisters take it as against them. :(

Kakorot

:wasalam: wr wb,

I don't agree with the looking after the elderly parents part because it's not the wife's duty or obligation to do that and she's not sinful if she doesn't take care of them. Although it would be very rewarding and extra nice of her if she did but she doesn't have to. That's the duty of the husband and his other siblings. So the wife shouldn't be pressured in doing things which are not her responsibility. Looking after another person's parents may bring guilt because the wife can't take care of her own parents, who may of appreciate her more than her in-laws. And plus the wife has the right to her own accommodation but say her husband is the only son or child in his family, then she should consider to stay with the in-laws and help out here and there because there's no-one else who can take care of them.

Sorry if I went off topic :/ I don't even know if my comment fits in this thread but just had to say that.

Abdul25

Logical Believer

MashAllah brother, you have spoken the truth totally agree with you. the women's place is in the house not in the office or somewhere else.thats why i want to marry from Pakistan , the women here in west are very much demanding.they give you 500 pages document of rules and regulation as if they are the providers and we will be sitting in home idle.99% of women here dont want their mother in law in the house, they want to live separately.

Ibn Uthaymin

MashAllah brother, you have spoken the truth totally agree with you. the women's place is in the house not in the office or somewhere else.thats why i want to marry from Pakistan , the women here in west are very much demanding.they give you 500 pages document of rules and regulation as if they are the providers and we will be sitting in home idle.99% of women here dont want their mother in law in the house, they want to live separately.

Rubber dinghy rapids bro :D

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger

MashAllah brother, you have spoken the truth totally agree with you. the women's place is in the house not in the office or somewhere else. thats why i want to marry from Pakistan , the women here in west are very much demanding.they give you 500 pages document of rules and regulation as if they are the providers and we will be sitting in home idle.99% of women here dont want their mother in law in the house, they want to live separately.

First of all, I would like to congratulate you. It is truly an amazing feat to have met EVERY, SINGLE woman in the West. That means the US, UK, Canada, and Europe. That's over a billion women and you've met them all as well as surveyed them about their marriage preferences. Meeting even 99% is a huge deal akhi. I would contact Guiness and see if I could make it into the world records if I were you.

In all seriousness, it is dangerous to generalize and assume that you know the heart of every individual based on the opinions of a few. In case you're not aware, the world does that to Muslims every single day. I can't speak for you (because that would be generalizing) but for me, it's quite painful when an entire group of people are discriminated against and held accountable for the actions of a few.

Secondly, you haven't met me akhi and I'm a woman in the West. If you had, you would find me lacking 500 pages of rules and regulations. Contrary to what you believe, many sisters do not believe what you have accused them of believing. Many would most likely LOVE the opportunity to not have to work. However, today's climate calls for it. I've seen Muslim men FORCE their wives to get out of the house and work. Would I blame ALL Muslim men for that? No, because that's blindness on my part. I've come across many men from BOTH Muslim and non-Muslim countries who don't respect women who stay at home. They treat them like slaves and are super impressed with working women. Would I attribute this characteristic to all men? Nope.

Secondly, what were to happen if the husband needed financial assistance? How many jobs is the man supposed to take on before collapsing from sheer exhaustion? If she can help her husband without compromising herself, how is that doing anything but helping him?

Thirdly, there are some professions that only women are suited for. For example, I work with domestic violence victims. If a man were to do my job, not one woman would reach out for help. Why? Because at this point, they don't trust men. Would that also be the fault of EVERY man? Once again, no. Everyone has a different heart. Contrary to popular belief, our hearts do not beat as one. But if you believe that men can handle every single job then by all means, have fun taking your daughter to her male gynocologist. Better yet, wait outside. I'm sure she won't be uncomfortable at all.

Regarding the mother-in-law issue, I'm not touching that one with a 10-foot pole.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Like sis Shanazz said, it is dangerous to generalize - I know I speak for all my friends and myself when I say that females would much much more prefer to not have to work, and to just stay at home and take care of family. Who wouldn't want to not have to worry about money and having to get up early and leave the home, to spend hours outside working, and then to just come home and think of all that needs to be done at work the next day?

But like someone above also stated, it is not wholly correct to think the wife "has to" take care of the husbands' elder parents - I mean, if she is living with only the MIL/FIL, then its okay, but if its like a joint family with other non-mahrams living together, *that* gets a bit complicated.

And now I expect I'll get flamed.

ShyHijabi

It seems a few of you did not read the entire article, particularly this part:

“The Prophet’s first wife, Khadijah, was an established career woman who was 15 years older than her husband,” Ezzeldine says. “Khadijah was a very confident and successful woman who actually proposed to the 24-year-old Muhammad. Yet, the Prophet was not intimidated by her nor found her “unmarriageable.” They maintained a strong marriage as she continued to be a businesswoman, as well as wife and mother.

Kadijah (RA) did not quite her business and simply stay locked up in the house, she continued runnig her business as well as became the model female for all Muslimahs.

While some Muslim men are of the mindset that a wife's obligation is to care for her in-laws this has absolutely no basis in Islam. Quite the opposite, it is the SON who is expected to care for his parents, it's fard. Too many men think of a wife as a servant and housemaid instead of a partner in his life. Some seem to specifically desire an uneducated woman so his fragile ego can handle the burden. Our men should be stronger than this.

I kind of scoff when I read people think women should avoid jobs that are male dominated, only 50 years ago the entire medical field was male dominated, including OBGYN. So would you advise women to avoid those professions because she would be around non-mahrem? Then your wives and daughters would still be forced to go men for delivering their children as well as yearly pelvic exams. Women must be pioneers most of the time simply to change the "status quo." But no one wants to be the courageous one and take those first steps.

Women need to be educated in this modern day, for we've seen that nothing is guaranteed. Men leave their wives (Muslim and non-muslim alike) and she is often left with no financial support. Men die every day, even young men. Simply hoping that everything will work out for this vulnerable female is not enough, she must be given the tools to survive on her own if, Allah forbid, she is left alone in this world.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
It seems a few of you did not read the entire article, particularly this part:

Kadijah (RA) did not quite her business and simply stay locked up in the house, she continued runnig her business as well as became the model female for all Muslimahs.

While some Muslim men are of the mindset that a wife's obligation is to care for her in-laws this has absolutely no basis in Islam. Quite the opposite, it is the SON who is expected to care for his parents, it's fard. Too many men think of a wife as a servant and housemaid instead of a partner in his life. Some seem to specifically desire an uneducated woman so his fragile ego can handle the burden. Our men should be stronger than this.

I kind of scoff when I read people think women should avoid jobs that are male dominated, only 50 years ago the entire medical field was male dominated, including OBGYN. So would you advise women to avoid those professions because she would be around non-mahrem? Then your wives and daughters would still be forced to go men for delivering their children as well as yearly pelvic exams. Women must be pioneers most of the time simply to change the "status quo." But no one wants to be the courageous one and take those first steps.

Women need to be educated in this modern day, for we've seen that nothing is guaranteed. Men leave their wives (Muslim and non-muslim alike) and she is often left with no financial support. Men die every day, even young men. Simply hoping that everything will work out for this vulnerable female is not enough, she must be given the tools to survive on her own if, Allah forbid, she is left alone in this world.

I agree with your last paragraph, sis. A woman needs to be educated, and she at least should need to know how to take care of herself if something were to happen - you can't keep a woman uneducated and not even knowing how to pay bills or other financial duties. And while I don't support the idea that a woman needs to work as competitively in her job as a man does (exceptions are female doctors/teachers/etc), I think it does a woman good to sometimes have a part time job just so she can get out of the house and mingle with the world and know what is going on out there - even the mothers of the beilevers used to accompany the Prophet (SAW) on his expeditions and did not keep cooped up in the house 24/7.

Abdul25

Logical Believer

i dont know why all sisters here are opposed to the concept of taking care of mother and father in law? . in my culture it is necessary , like i love my mother (my father is no more) , so if my wife wants to be close with me or wants me to admire her then she should love and care for my mother. if she doesn't love and care for those whom i love and care ( obviously mahram here ) then how can you people except to have a long lasting relationship and love among the spouses? . this seems totally unacceptable in my culture. i am not saying that it is obligatory for her to take care of her mother and father in law but it is a main source for her to get close to her husband if her husband gives preference to this act of hers .i think this is because of different cultural backgrounds, in west i think it is not accepted or obligatory but in our societies in indopak this is a MUST. about women doing job , i have no objection but i think everyone prefers the wife to be at home and not doing job. job out of necessity is another thing and when a woman does job, she should be following the Islamic values then there is no harm

@sister shahnaz . dont get me wrong sister, this is what i saw here , may be my perception is wrong and u might be correct as i have not lived my whole life in west, it is only 1.5 years lol. i respect your views.

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
If only most muslim men viewed thier wive's in this way, then it would sure remove many problems.

"Treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers."
-From the last sermon of Prophet Muhammed (may Allah's peace be upon him)
:wasalam: