Martial Artists?

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Assalam alaikum. For me, the answer to your question is not really (I run, and go to the gym, etc). But if I were to pick something that would really help me, it would either be boxing or kickboxing. Those ones actually make you strong, fast and fit. Most of the other stuff look fancy, but are pretty useless if they were to be applied to real world situations.

There is an exception though in one-on-one situations, and that's jujitsu (I think). It's the one where you grab the opponent and if you can take them down to the ground, you can pretty much ... end the fight. One of my classmates does weight training and exercise for this type of martial art, from videos on youtube.

Assalam alaikum.

HosaamUddin

Pencak Silat Qutuz

As'salaamu Alaikum,

I am Ustaz in Pencak Silat Qutuz. You can see our website at
silatqutuz.info

Also, you can see our NEWLY launched youtube page. You can find us By searching SilatQutuz on the site.

Feel free to subscribe as we will be adding weekly mini lessons on various aspects of the Muslim Fighting arts.

Wa Salaam,
Ustaz Muzahiruddin

:salah:

arzafar

I like boxing but i think it's haram!

Amir khan is weak though. He barely defended his title.
I still remember that fight where he was KO in the first 17 seconds.
BANG! BANG! ....over

a similar but slightly longer fight i saw was the overhyped ricky hatton being knocked out by that philipino guy. The brit had to go to the hospital before the second round ended.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
I like boxing but i think it's haram!

Amir khan is weak though. He barely defended his title.
I still remember that fight where he was KO in the first 17 seconds.
BANG! BANG! ....over

a similar but slightly longer fight i saw was the overhyped ricky hatton being knocked out by that philipino guy. The brit had to go to the hospital before the second round ended.

Manny Pacquiao is crazy now winning titles.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

In my city, brothers learn kyokushin. I might be joining them as well. I am in a dilemma between choosing kyokushin and jeet kune do.

HosaamUddin

Bowing in the MA.

Generally in Martial atrs , before its starts everyone has to do a salute to one an other....It looks as if we prostate , bow down to the Master or those who are in the opposite ..

How do you deal with these practice which is a must for every one in the Martial arts filed ?......

This is simply not true. While I agree with the scholars on this subject that Bowing is haram,THIS IS NOT A MUST IN ALL MARTIAL ARTS FIELDS!

Many Silat arts do not bow, Many systems of Krav maga, haganagh, Jeet Kune Do, Kuai Shou, Silat Sharaf, Silat Zulfikar etc. None of these arts bow.

The martial arts in their purest form are about combat. NOT SPORT. Remember that Martial Art means in its literal sense MILITARY ART. In other words, COMBAT.

Bowing has little to do with combat. Also, there are martial arts schools that will respect our chosen deen. Thus, permitting us to not bow or be bowed to.

Hope this helps.

HosaamUddin

Kyokushin

:salam2:

In my city, brothers learn kyokushin. I might be joining them as well. I am in a dilemma between choosing kyokushin and jeet kune do.

In my past, I have studied quite a bit of Kyokushin. Its a good system, but is very traditional in respect to the development of combat. Jeet Kune Do is a more realistic system and does not place the constraints of style upon you, not=r the cultural constraints of bowing. I reccomend JKD!

Isa_

Salaam, I trained for a year in jiu jitsu as self defence and fitness. It's very effective and perhaps the most honourable part was that we were not taught to attack, merely how to respond to the most common forms of being attacked. Of course we learnt where and how to strike, but the emphasis was very much on defending yourself and others.

I did take issues with bowing and reached a compromise with the sensei by merely giving a nod of my head in acknowledgment but never dipping my head like a bow, in fact I always had my face and eyes up.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Krav Maga.

In here before join to club of krav maga need to get crime register paper from police that never judged about any crime of violence.

Very physical and meant to be just only self defence.

:shake:

mehitora

I studied Shotokan when I was younger. My mom, brother, and I all three took classes. My brother was very good. He was even learning to use weapons and had to carry around a card stating that he was trained in fighting and weapons. I never got that far before the dojo was closed down. I do remember that I really wanted to learn how to handle a bo staff. The thing was taller than I was, but was super awesome at the same time.

This leads me to a question. In a time and age when it is practical for a woman to be able to defend herself, is it haraam for a female to study martial arts?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
How it could be haraam to know how to defend herself?

I have also studied medical first aid. If I see someone (even male) is needed help, I don´t think is it haraam to touch him (even I am female).

mehitora

I only asked because from my expierences with Shotokan, a hijab wearing woman would have a rather difficult time with Shotokan because the hijab could interfer with the ability to see. In the times that I have wrapped a scarf around my head, I have noticed that at times it has limited my peripheral vision. Of course, I do believe Shotokan might not be an art that many Muslims would choose as self defense because of the bowing.

That is another thing I do not quite understand. The bowing. Martial arts originated in countries where it was proper to show respect to those you meet by bowing to them. In effect, in martial arts, the competion form of it, bowing to your opponent is considered showing respect for the person you are about to face in friendly mock combat and to show that no hard feelings are felt from the loser towards the winner. Why is inclining the head in respect of another such an issue?