Meat... or Vegetarian?

Valerie

:salam2:

Question... I have been reading through some sites about food restrictions. I understand the pork topic (not a big deal for me, I was raised not eating it). My husband and I eat a lot of chicken though, occasionally some beef. Now, being in the US, I'm guessing this meat isn't up to the standards of Islamic law (?). Would it be better to just go vegetarian? Has anyone else gone vegetarian or is it acceptable to eat the chicken I buy at the grocery store?

I know this is picking at details, but I'm curious.

Now, a bit off topic... Can Muslims drink milk, eat cheese and eggs? Any restrictions on those?

I'm trying to eat better (to lose weight), so I'm trying to make permanent and healthy decisions.

Thank you for your time, everyone!

kayleigh

The allowable meats have to still be slaughtered in the correct way. So in most cases, the packaged meat you buy at the grocery store still isn't okay for you to eat. If you can't get halal meat, try to find kosher.

Its certainly allowed to be a vegetarian if that is what you'd like to do, but it isn't necessary.

Other dairy products or animal products are fine.

When I first converted, I found it totally impossible to stop eating non-halal meat since its more readily available and cheaper. The thing that changed my mind, though, was actually learning about how unethical it is to eat most of the meat you get in the supermarket, and how its full of tons of crap (unless you're eating organic). I buy either organic or certified halal. I know the organic still isn't okay to eat, and I'm not 100% comfortable with how the organic meat is slaughtered but it is more ethical than the other stuff.

If you're trying to be healthier and lose weight you might want to try making a sort of semi-vegetarian transition. Eating too much meat isn't very good for you. You should treat it more as a side dish than the main dish and make fresh produce the bulk of your diet. That can help with the cost, too, if halal meat is expensive for you.

Valerie

Thank you, kayleigh, great advice :) My sister is big into organic foods, so I'll see what she says about it. When I was younger, I'd stay with my grandparents and they were vegetarians, so it doesn't bother me THAT much... They had things like soy hotdogs and other vegetarian "meat". My sister is trying to get me hooked on tofu right now.

I'd have to look and see where acceptable meat is sold (other than hotdogs..those are everywhere).

Only problem I have is my husband... but I'll work on the meals I have when I'm not around him :)

Thanks!

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alaikum sister,

im sure you can find halal meat shop the only different would be just change of the shop where you buy meet from, since you're in the US try this website and inshallah you'll find halal meat store in your area easily Inshallah :)

http://www.islamicfinder.org/

:p if nothing works move down to canada lol we got tons of halal meat :p with mad cow disease !!! :lol:

im kidding im kidding :p but u know last time they checked my car for beef at the US lol cuz they thought im bringing beef into US :p cuz its the mad cow lol hehe

DanyalSAC

This is a big concern for my shaykh, who has told our community that eating meat (from halal animals of course) from the mainstream grocer is OK. He did say that if there's a halal store nearby that is better for you, but he quoted the Qur'an "This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Quran 5:5)".

Mainstream commercial slaughter houses in the US usually do kill their animals by cutting the throat, though most shock the animal first - but its my understanding that large volume halal slaugher houses do as well. The shaykh of my masjid has been to mainstream commercial slaughter houses and said that even though "Bismillah" is not said, the actual procedure isn't too deviant from what is done by a halal butcher and if we say "Bismillah" before eating it that would meet that requirement. The only real difference is in mainstream slaughter houses sometimes an animal dies in the holding pens, but then it is still butchered & the meat distributed. Also, there are some stores in our area our shaykh cautions against buying from because they are run by non-People of the Book (a large Asian market near our masjid has pterodactyl sized chicken drumsticks for .88 a lb but the shayk says the butchers are Buddhists so therefore the meat is unlawful for us).

There are some in my community - even those who agree our shaykh is a very learned man - who disagree with him on this. Some on this board would disagree. But it is a valid opinion. I personally try to buy from the halal store when I can, but since I'm on a budget and most halal stores tend to be expensive, I do what I have to do. Allahu alim.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
here I am to give some answers about being vegetarian and about eating muslim food...Muslims don't eat the meat of pork,as the Quran says,it is judged a disgusting and dirty animal.second point,Allah commands that the blood of the animal must go out from the animal's dead body.at third muslims don't eat dead animals:we muslims eat an animal following our rules,that's to say,if I want to eat a chicken I go to a muslim buthcer,cause I surely know that the chicken has been slaughtered by saying <bismillah,allahu akbar> and I know that its blood has gone out from its body.
There are not other restrictions,but it's better if you read the Quran and take from there informations you are searching.
About vegetarianism,I lived for 19 years like a vegetarian person,now i'm 25,so I have a long experience of it.vegetarians are fanatic,they don't eat meat,fish and eggs.So they don't eat ANYTHING!!!because of my hinduist roots and my parents's beliefs,our meal was composed by an unic dish,so if one day we ate pasta with sauce,the next day we ate soup or pizza,but we ate a lot to integrate proteins and fats...my parents know a way to sobstitute the meat,it is something called SEITAN,it comes from soya and its taste is good,but it has nothing to do with our muslim meat.at those times I was obliged to follow what they sayd to me,but nowdays I eat lot o fish,(source o omega3)and lot of meat.if you wish to decrease your weight,you might eat bloodless meat,lot of salad and drink lot of water.decrease sweet things and oily meals.:SMILY335:

ShyHijabi

I know that it is essential to say the name of Allaah when slaughtering animals that are to be eaten, and that it is not permissible to eat from that over which the name of Allaah has not been mentioned, but sometimes a Muslim has to travel to a non-Muslim country and stay there for several years, for work or study. Should he refrain from eating meat completely for this length of time or in this case is he regarded as compelled by necessity to eat meat or is it sufficient to say the name of Allaah at the time of eating?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Saying the name of Allaah is a condition of meat being halaal, and it is not excused by forgetting or not knowing, according to the most correct scholarly opinion. See the answer to question no. 85669 (Saying Bismillaah in order to meat to be halaal)?

Secondly:

Meat slaughtered by one of the people of the Book (a Jew or a Christian) is permissible subject to two conditions:

1 – That the meat be slaughtered as a Muslim does it, but cutting the throat and oesophagus and letting the blood flow. If the animal is killed by strangling or electric shock or drowning in water, its meat is not permissible. Similarly, if a Muslim does that, the meat is not permissible.

2 – No name other than that of Allaah should be mentioned over it, such as the name of the Messiah etc, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allaah’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal)”

[al-An’aam 6:121]

And He says concerning haraam things (interpretation of the meaning):

“He has forbidden you only the Maytah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering)”

[al-Baqarah 2:173]

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

What is meant here is that over which a name other than that of Allaah is mentioned at the time of slaughter, such as saying “in the name of the Messiah” or “in the name of Muhammad” or “in the name of Jibreel” or “in the name of al-Laat” and so on. End quote from Tafseer Soorat al-Baqarah.

The prohibition also applies to that which is offered as a sacrifice to the Messiah or to al-Zahrah, even if they did not mention a name other than that of Allaah over it. It is also haraam.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: As for that which is slaughtered by the people of the Book for their festivals and as an act of worship to draw closer to someone other than Allaah, as the Muslims offer their sacrifices to draw closer to Allaah thereby, such as what they slaughter for the Messiah and al-Zahrah, there are two reports narrated from Ahmad concerning that, the most well known of which in his texts is that it is not permissible to eat it, even if the name of someone other than Allaah has not been mentioned over it. The prohibition on doing that was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar. End quote from Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem (1/251).

Thirdly:

If a Muslim or a kitaabi (Jew or Christian) slaughters an animal for meat, and it is not known whether he mentioned the name of Allaah over it or not, it is permissible to eat from it, and the one who eats it should say the name of Allaah, because of the report that was narrated by al-Bukhaari (2057) from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that some people said: O Messenger of Allaah, some people bring meat to us, and we do not know whether they mentioned the name of Allaah over it or not. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Mention the name of Allaah over it and eat.”

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is not essential to ask about that which was slaughtered by a Muslim or a kitaabi, and how it was slaughtered, and whether the name of Allaah was mentioned over it or not. Rather that should not be done, because that is being obstinate in religious matters. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ate meat slaughtered by the Jews and did not ask questions. In Saheeh al-Bukhaari and elsewhere it is narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that some people said to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): Some people bring meat to us, and we do not know whether they mentioned the name of Allaah over it or not. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Mention the name of Allaah over it and eat.” She said: They were new in Islam, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told them to eat without asking, even though those who brought the meat to them may not have been aware of the rulings of Islam because they were new in Islam. End quote from Risaalah fi Ahkaam al-Udhiyah wa’l-Dhakaah by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

Fourthly:

Based on the above, whoever travels to a non-Muslim country where most of those who slaughter meat are Christians or Jews, it is permissible for him to eat their meat, unless he knows that they stun the animals or mention over them the name of someone other than Allaah, as stated above.

But if the slaughterman is an idol-worshipper or communist, it is not permissible to eat meat slaughtered by him.

If the meat is haraam, it is not permissible to eat from it on the grounds of necessity, so long as a person can find food to keep him alive, such as fish, vegetables and so on.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Barraak (may Allaah preserve him) said: “The meats available in kaafir countries are of various types. As for fish, it is halaal in all cases, because its being halaal does not depend on the way in which it is slaughtered or on the name of Allaah being mentioned over it.

With regard to other types of meat, if the companies or individuals who produce meat are people of the Book, Jews or Christians, and it is not known from them that they kill the animal by electric shock, strangling or striking it on the head, as is well known in the west, then this meat is halaal. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Made lawful to you this day are At‑Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them”

[al-Maa’idah 5:5]

But if they kill the animal by one of the methods mentioned, then the meat is haraam, because in that case it is meat that has been strangled or killed by a blow. If those who produce the meat are not Jews or Christians, then the meat that they offer is haraam. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allaah’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal), for sure it is Fisq (a sin and disobedience of Allaah)”

The Muslim should strive to avoid that which is clearly haraam and be cautious of doubtful matters so as to preserve his religious commitment and to keep his body safe from being nourished with haraam things. End quote.

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/88206/meat

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Mainstream commercial slaughter houses in the US usually do kill their animals by cutting the throat, though most shock the animal first - but its my understanding that large volume halal slaugher houses do as well.

Salaamalaykum brother Danyal,

Do you know why they electric shock in the first place, if they have to kill it by cutting the throat ?

I was under the impression that the shock is used to kill the animal off and the consequential slaughter is just to let the blood flow.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

kayleigh

Salaamalaykum brother Danyal,

Do you know why they electric shock in the first place, if they have to kill it by cutting the throat ?

I was under the impression that the shock is used to kill the animal off and the consequential slaughter is just to let the blood flow.

The shock stuns them so that they don't feel it when their throat is cut. They think that is more humane... which doesn't make much sense to me because wouldn't they feel the electric shock in the first place?

The conditions in many of these slaughterhouses is disgusting and inhumane so I find it rather ironic that after treating the animal so horribly, they're concerned with what the most humane way of slaughter is.

DanyalSAC

The shock stuns them so that they don't feel it when their throat is cut. They think that is more humane... which doesn't make much sense to me because wouldn't they feel the electric shock in the first place?

The conditions in many of these slaughterhouses is disgusting and inhumane so I find it rather ironic that after treating the animal so horribly, they're concerned with what the most humane way of slaughter is.

Yeah what Kayleigh said. :)

zinirah

I am also a Muslim in the Usa. I still live with my family & they are not accepting towards changing their meals around just because i can't eat them. So i took a personal choice to just go Vegetarian all together. We can still drink milk, eat eggs & fish, cheese etc.

as for meat...we should not eat any animal that hasnt been slaughtered in Allahs name. The meats you will find in the supermarkets are not halal because they werent slaughtered in the name of Allah. If you live in a big city sister then you should probably try to find halal meat market somewhere if there is a big muslim community....if not...then you should stay away from meat all together. Allahs law comes first...not our own desires....some people forget this, and they say "ohhh it's ok we can eat this meat"...no it's not ok.

“Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allaah’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal)”

“He has forbidden you only the Maytah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering)”

“Made lawful to you this day are At‑Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them”

(The meat in the supermarkets does not mean it's of the people of the book)
“Eat not (O believers) of that (meat) on which Allaah’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of the slaughtering of the animal), for sure it is Fisq (a sin and disobedience of Allaah)”

Dear sister...always try to search for answers in the Qur'an...don't always come and ask us for the answers...because you will get many opinions etc...Try to search yourself for references etc

DanyalSAC

I am also a Muslim in the Usa. I still live with my family & they are not accepting towards changing their meals around just because i can't eat them. So i took a personal choice to just go Vegetarian all together. We can still drink milk, eat eggs & fish, cheese etc.

as for meat...we should not eat any animal that hasnt been slaughtered in Allahs name. The meats you will find in the supermarkets are not halal because they werent slaughtered in the name of Allah. If you live in a big city sister then you should probably try to find halal meat market somewhere if there is a big muslim community....if not...then you should stay away from meat all together. Allahs law comes first...not our own desires....some people forget this, and they say "ohhh it's ok we can eat this meat"...no it's not ok.

(The meat in the supermarkets does not mean it's of the people of the book)

Dear sister...always try to search for answers in the Qur'an...don't always come and ask us for the answers...because you will get many opinions etc...Try to search yourself for references etc

Asalaamu alaikum -

I really don't think we should instruct people to disregard the scholars. The fatwa posted by kayleigh above is as valid as the one you post here. Allah does not intend Islam to be a hardship for us. I for one do not consider it a sin to eat lawful animals (ie chicken or beef) from a US supermarket, though I prefer to buy from a halal store when available.

This rigid, restricting and unbending "all things are HARAM!" mentality is the reason most new Muslims vanish after a couple months.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Asalaamu alaikum -

I really don't think we should instruct people to disregard the scholars. The fatwa posted by kayleigh above is as valid as the one you post here. Allah does not intend Islam to be a hardship for us. I for one do not consider it a sin to eat lawful animals (ie chicken or beef) from a US supermarket, though I prefer to buy from a halal store when available.

This rigid, restricting and unbending "all things are HARAM!" mentality is the reason most new Muslims vanish after a couple months.

:wasalam:

Umm.. The meat in supermarkets is non-zabeeha. I don't think there is a fatwa from a respected scholar (as far as I know) who says it is *not* sinful to have non zabeeha meat.

Such meat would be classified as 'maytah' and therefore would be prohibited for us to consume.

DanyalSAC

:wasalam:

Umm.. The meat in supermarkets is non-zabeeha. I don't think there is a fatwa from a respected scholar (as far as I know) who says it is *not* sinful to have non zabeeha meat.

Such meat would be classified as 'maytah' and therefore would be prohibited for us to consume.

Well I obviously don't know enough to continue this argument, as I am not a shaykh - but my shaykh does support my opinion though he does say if a halal store is close it is preferred. However none of the shayuk in my community say grocery store meat is forbidden. They do say its "frowned on", but not outright a sin to eat. As it says above:

"With regard to other types of meat, if the companies or individuals who produce meat are people of the Book, Jews or Christians, and it is not known from them that they kill the animal by electric shock, strangling or striking it on the head, as is well known in the west, then this meat is halaal."

And I am not sure why that does NOT cover meat in the United States, which is classified as a Christian country. Allah knows best.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykkum, I think it is very important to note Shaykh `Abdur Rahmaan al Barraak's words in the fatwa that sister ShyHijabi posted...

"The meats available in kaafir countries are of various types. As for fish, it is halaal in all cases, because its being halaal does not depend on the way in which it is slaughtered or on the name of Allaah being mentioned over it.

With regard to other types of meat, if the companies or individuals who produce meat are people of the Book, Jews or Christians, and it is not known from them that they kill the animal by electric shock, strangling or striking it on the head, as is well known in the west, then this meat is halaal."

If you know for a fact that a butcher is a "Christian" or "Jew", then that is when the fatwa can be applied. We know many people are atheists though they may have christian names or whatever, so be wary of the "non-muslims" you buy your meat from (provided you know they do not kill by stunning the animals)

zinirah

I think we should just stay away from it all together then, because too many people make excuses on ohhh..thers no halal meat around...i can eat it...because islam is easy...<<< No that's just an excuse...& if a person is going to leave islam because they can't eat meat, then maybe they were reallly not true believers in the first place...seriously

zinirah

If you know for a fact that a butcher is a "Christian" or "Jew", then that is when the fatwa can be applied. We know many people are atheists though they may have christian names or whatever, so be wary of the "non-muslims" you buy your meat from (provided you know they do not kill by stunning the animals)[/QUOTE]

so your saying when the meat is sacrified in the name of "Jesus Christ" then muslims can eat it?...no i don't think so...

zinirah

Asalaamu alaikum -

Lol who is your shaykh?...

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
so your saying when the meat is sacrified in the name of "Jesus Christ" then muslims can eat it?...no i don't think so...

Respected sister, may Allaah have mercy on you, I never said that. Rather if you know that a person sacrifices in the name of Jesus Christ, then it is not permissible to eat that meat. What the scholars mention is, if a christian or jew slaughters meat and sells it, we shouldn't be going around asking him, upon whose name he slaughtered the meat, as the evidences from the sunnah indicate this. Because this is being obstinate and making the deen hard upon oneself. If you could go back and read the fatwa, that will be much appreciated, since the evidences are clearly laid out. If you still do want to follow an opinion of the scholars that mention "meat from non muslims is not permitted", then that is between Allaah and you. But you forcing your opinion upon people is a bit far off, and Allaah knows best. You are more than welcome to post your opinions here, but if you start arguing, it will only end up in fitnah.

Wassalaamu `alaykkum