'Muhammad' teddy teacher arrested

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan accused of insulting Islam's Prophet, after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear Muhammad.
Colleagues of Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, said she made an "innocent mistake" by letting the six and seven-year-olds choose the name.

Ms Gibbons was arrested after several parents made complaints.

The BBC has learned the charge could lead to six months in jail, 40 lashes or a fine.

Officials from the British embassy in Khartoum are expected to visit Ms Gibbons in custody later.

"We are in contact with the authorities here and they have visited the teacher and she is in a good condition," an embassy spokesman said.

The spokesman said the naming of the teddy happened months ago and was chosen by the children because it is a common name in the country.

"This happened in September and the parents did not have a problem with it," he said.

'Very sensitive'

The school has been closed until January for fear of reprisals.

Fellow teachers at Khartoum's Unity High School told Reuters news agency they feared for Ms Gibbons' safety after receiving reports that men had started gathering outside the police station where she was being held.

The school's director, Robert Boulos, said: "This is a very sensitive issue. We are very worried about her safety.

They came up with eight names including Abdullah, Hassan and Muhammad

Robert Boulos
Director of Unity High School

"This was a completely innocent mistake. Miss Gibbons would have never wanted to insult Islam."

Mr Boulos said Ms Gibbons was following a British national curriculum course designed to teach young pupils about animals and this year's topic was the bear.

Ms Gibbons, who joined the school in August, asked a seven-year-old girl to bring in her teddy bear and asked the class to pick names for it, he said.

"They came up with eight names including Abdullah, Hassan and Muhammad," Mr Boulos said, adding that she then had the children vote on a name.

Twenty out of the 23 children chose Muhammad as their favourite name.

Mr Boulos said each child was then allowed to take the bear home at weekends and told to write a diary about what they did with it.

He said the children's entries were collected in a book with a picture of the bear on the cover and a message which read, "My name is Muhammad."

Book seized

The bear itself was not marked or labelled with the name in any way, he added.

It is seen as an insult to Islam to attempt to make an image of the Prophet Muhammad.

Mr Boulos said Ms Gibbons was arrested on Sunday at her home inside the school premises after a number of parents complained to Sudan's Ministry of Education.

I know Gillian and she would never have meant it as an insult. I was just impressed that she got them to vote

Muslim colleague in Sudan

He said police had seized the book and asked to interview the girl who owned the bear.

The country's state-controlled Sudanese Media Centre reported that charges were being prepared "under article 125 of the criminal law" which covers insults against faith and religion.

No-one at the ministries of education or justice was available for comment.

Mr Boulos told the BBC he was confident she would not face a jail sentence.

One Muslim teacher at the independent school for Christian and Muslim children, who has a child in Ms Gibbons' class, said she had not found the project offensive.

"I know Gillian and she would never have meant it as an insult. I was just impressed that she got them to vote," the teacher said.

In Liverpool, a family spokeswoman said Ms Gibbons' grown children, John and Jessica - both believed to be in their 20s - were not commenting on her arrest.

Gillian Gibbons had been working in Khartoum since August

"I have spoken with her children and they do not want to say anything and aggravate the situation over there," she said.

Rick Widdowson the headteacher of Garston Church of England Primary School, where Gillian worked for ten years, added: "We are an Anglican school and I know for a fact that Gillian would not do anything to offend followers of any faith.

"Certainly she is also very worldly wise and she is obviously aware of the sensitivities around Islam."

Cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad printed in several European newspapers sparked violent protests around the world in 2006

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
she will be released

a mountain made of a mole-hole

remind me when her release news get a small line at the bottom of some obscure media source

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum,

I hope she does not get that 40 lashes, that's just so cruel for an innocent mistake like that. Can't they just tell her off?

Sophie

:salam2:As a Muslim,this story makes me very sad.What are they thinking? This is not the Islam I know.Islam is tolerance.Islam is kindness,gentleness,so much more. I think those that want to punish this teacher are wrong.

chaandani

Goofy Member
asalaamu alaikum. i was wondering when this post was going to make it to tti! the new stations here keep playing it and playing it! its like, the moment they have something negative to show about islam, the news companies just want to repeat it over and over to emphasize how "radical" islam is. it makes me sick! and what most people dont realize is that a lot of muslims themselves think that the whole thing is ridiculous! i'm curious to see what other brothers and sisters on tti think about the whole situation. personally, i think it was just an innocent mistake blown out of proportion. wasalaam

jz another one of those propagandas by the media.....in the end they r going to release her but jz to spark outrage that this is how evil muslims r they make so petty news into headlines....shameful n useless media nowadays :angryred::angryred::angryred:

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
i was talking about this with my Catholic father last night.

I explained it is not Islamic the way these people have reacted, it is cultural. It is all too easy for the media to jump on the 'lets blame Islam' bandwagon.

I genuinely belive this woman made an honest mistake. Why could they not have just explained it is considered to be blasphemous? I am sure she would have been apologetic and would have learnt something new about the culture and country she works in.

40 lashes is harsh, and it goes against Islam. These people make me angry.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
frankly, we are wasting too much time on this non-news

it is either that someone in the Sudanese police is totally out of their mind or that there is something we dont know and NOT being reported ... both things happens all the time ... there are imbeciles in any police force/judiciary in the world

on the same day this story came out, Americans jets bombed a tent in Afghanistan killing 12 road workers due to being *suspected* taliban. They killed 12 muslims whose only mistake is wearing their cultural cloths and being in abject poverty that requires them to work under the *generousity* of the American forces. This will mean 12 widows, perhaps 40-50 orphans who will have to live the consequences for the rest of their lives ... just imagine having to be in the same situation .... ah, they also opened fire on a bus in Iraq killing 4 civilians including 3 WOMEN.

now why is this story not being played over and over ??? where are the interviews with the relatives of these people?? where are the photos from the scene ?? ...

please do not let the media set off your thinking/interest agenda

funk999

its a norm to insult muslims, portray islam in the wrong light, i think Sudan and many other countries are setting the examples that insults and blasphemy will not be tolerated,

What she did wrong was she (havent read the story) named a teddy Mohammed, was she born yesterday? has she forgotten what happen with Mohammed pbuh and the cartoon issue? She wouldnt name the teddy Jesus or Moses PBUH because surely she has some sense.

I dare anyone to go in the streets of london and speak ill about Jews, you'll see yourself in much worse position that that woman, and how many brothers and sisters have been arrested under false accusation, our hearts dont go out for them, do we even know their names.

Its is noted that the disbelievers/oppressors will never be happy unless we give up our religion for theirs, we neednt worry what they think of us. Surely Allah guides whom we wants to guide and our duty is to convey.

please not people are meant to follow the law of the country they are in, ive been arrested before for failing to read up on law of the country here and paid the price, they told me its no excuse. who should i blame? islam?

dianek

I think people are can be oversensitive. The children in her class who ARE MUSLIM chose the name........how is it that she should be punished for not knowing. I am sure in the Sudanese Law Books, seeing as they are such great keepers of LAW (lest we all forget Darfur) there is NO mention of naming something Mohammad as Blasphemous.......BUT since they prefer to fight this stupid little arguement.....I guess that bear name is more important than the death of some 400,000 in Darfur to date. Seems they are blind to what does not serve their agendas.

huda2

:salam2:As a Muslim,this story makes me very sad.What are they thinking? This is not the Islam I know.Islam is tolerance.Islam is kindness,gentleness,so much more. I think those that want to punish this teacher are wrong.

:salam2:

I felt the same way sis u right islam is all abt tolerance. Dont they know muhammed is a common name in muslims. They shouldnt make a big deal, and jumb the wrong conclusion . I dont think she meant to insult the prophet muhammed (SCW) or islam. it was innocent mistake, and she just favorite the name. And the media spreading bad things abt islam as they alwayd do. Muslims always do bad things , but when none muslim make inoccent mistake they all jumb and make a big deal fr it. We should be tolerance and forgive people. Isnt that what islam say?

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Actually, what a lot of people fail to realise is that MUSLIMS do things that are more insulting to our Religion than nearly everyone else.

Things like Shirk and Bidah, both are warned against much in the Quran and Authentic Hadith.

People got crazy over the Cartoon depictions of the Prophet Muhammad :saw:, but many of the very same people also do acts of disbelief when they go to their Shrines that they build over graves and do dua to the dead etc. Or these people, never even warn the people of Shirk and Bid'ah.

It just so happens our Prophet :saw: and his Companions were often ridiculed when they were alive, they had patience and they gave da'wah in the best way. This is how we should be. We need to think things carefully and always do them in way that is in the light of the Quran and Sunnah.

We need the Disbelievers to know who Allah is, who our most beloved Messenger :saw: was. This way we'll shut them up for good!! with knowledge.

Wasalam

muharram23

Staff member

Actually, what a lot of people fail to realise is that MUSLIMS do things that are more insulting to our Religion than nearly everyone else.

Things like Shirk and Bidah, both are warned against much in the Quran and Authentic Hadith.

People got crazy over the Cartoon depictions of the Prophet Muhammad :saw:, but many of the very same people also do acts of disbelief when they go to their Shrines that they build over graves and do dua to the dead etc. Or these people, never even warn the people of Shirk and Bid'ah.

It just so happens our Prophet :saw: and his Companions were often ridiculed when they were alive, they had patience and they gave da'wah in the best way. This is how we should be. We need to think things carefully and always do them in way that is in the light of the Quran and Sunnah.

We need the Disbelievers to know who Allah is, who our most beloved Messenger :saw: was. This way we'll shut them up for good!! with knowledge.

Wasalam

Salamu alaykum
u have got it 100 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%. People hate the pictures makin fun of our prophet or naming a teddy bear muhammad, but yet shirk, bidah and not following his sunnah is ok to them. What about those muslims that are named muhammad, but yet they steal, lie, commit zinnah, drink alcohol, deal with riba. Even though the women didnt say "name the teddy prophet muhammad" people made a big deal. Muslims are really naiv. They are showing their weekness to the kuffar, and they will do this again.

Allah knows best

Muharram al bosni

BintMuhammad

Staff member

Wasalam

Yeah I agree. Reminds me of your previous post "Have We Really Understood Tawheed"

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

what get's me is how upset the sudanese gov't is over naming a teddy bear Muhammad, and how they can care less about the genocide going on in the darfur region.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
I made that comment as well earlier in the discussion.

i'm glad that you mentioned it too. whenever i see islam get trashed i'm upset, but when i see muslims doing terrible things in the name of islam. people always ask me about the rape victim last week or the whole teddy bear issue. i'm like it's only a teddy bear for crying out loud!!! i could see if they named a pet pig or something, but it was only a teddy bear that the children loved. the sad thing is that the teacher probably had no problems with muslims, and now she's gonna leave sudan thinking differently of muslims.

ripefig

As much as I agree that this was blown out of proportion, I would like to say, what about the thousands of Muslims being punished for just being Muslim. What about the Muslims humiliated by some public and airline officials for praying or speaking or looking Arab. What about those held and tortured without a chance to defend themselves. I am sure they would gladly take 40 strokes or 60 days in prison in exchange of the torture despite the fact they may be innocent. I feel sorry for this lady if she is innocent, but what about the thousands who are going through far worst than her. Where is the outcry for these people? Are they now in the back burner forgotten and just some statistics. If this lady is liberated she should become a voice for these people and speak out against imprisoning people wrongfully. May Allah most high give us the ability to see what is wrong as wrong and to abstain from it, and may he give us the ability to see what is right as right and to follow it.:wasalam: