Muslim Beard ?'s

BrotherMatthew

Land of the free
:salam2:

:mashallah: Congratulations Brother! You kept your trust in Allah, and he rewarded you. May Allah protect and guide you :)

g0lden

Thanks everyone for the positive reinforcement.

@Tabassum07, That sounds nice. Wish i could travel around a lot.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalam alaykom brothers and sisters,

I need some advice about the beard. I have been un-employed for quite some time now. I have been turning in applications and feel maybe I am not getting any job offers cause of my beard. It is quite short and I look scruffy. Not a clean looking beard at all. I know the Sunnah says one should not cut the beard, but What am I to do? I really need a job bad, and my wife is now bugging me to cut my scruffy beard. I fear if I dont cut my beard I will never find a job. I wish I knew of more Muslim owners willing to hire me and relize my beard is part of the religion.
Anyway please let me know what you recommend.

Thanks
Dawud

Wa alaikome salam

Brother my hat is off to you for having the courage to post such a thread! I have had such embarrassment because of my beginning into Islam! The entire first year and a half after taking my shahada I lived in the USA and was too afraid to wear hijab! I had a son that depended on me for support you see and I could not afford to lose my job! I was afraid.

Then my first Ramadan as a Muslim I was alone in a place where I didnt know any other Muslims nearby. All of my family were respectful of my change but none of them understood or was going through it with me so I had really never felt so alone in my life. I decided that I would wear hijab for the first time in my life and wear it proudly in honor of my first Ramadan! Yep I did it! I held 2 jobs at the time and on my first job there was a dress code so of course I couldnt wear anything covering my head but my second job was at a call center just answering phones and none of the clients actually came in so nobody would see me except the people that I worked with. They all knew I was Muslim so I thought it would be ok. Yeah right......by the time Ramadan was in its 2nd week I was fired!!!!! They made up some lame excuse of course because its against the law to fire someone on the basis of religious discrimination and I had the right to wear my hijab but I got fired just the same! It didnt matter the excuse they used because I knew the real reason was because I wore hijab at work! Of course there was no way to prove that was the reason they fired me so I had to just accept the fact that my son and I had to live on my part time job until I could find another good job! I went from making 500 dollars per week down to 180 dollars per week so you can see that it really hurt me losing that job!!!

After being fired I took the hijab off and never wore it again for the rest of the time I lived in the USA! I finally found a new job that even allowed me to quit my other first job and work for just one employer! My new employer happened to be Muslim alhamdulillah!!!! He even knew the reason I was fired from that other job yet one day he came to me and asked me NOT to wear hijab while I am at work due to his fear of losing customers!!!!! He said people are afraid of Muslims and he was afraid of losing their business if they saw me wearing hijab!

Now I am living in an Islamic country and I am proudly wearing hijab all the time but I have to say its easy for me to do that here where almost every woman is wearing hijab! The question is if I should return to the USA would I have the courage? The answer is I just dont know!

Good luck to you on your job hunt my brother and may Allah bless you with a good job very soon inshallah!

wa salam

g0lden

Wa alaikome salam

Brother my hat is off to you for having the courage to post such a thread! I have had such embarrassment because of my beginning into Islam! The entire first year and a half after taking my shahada I lived in the USA and was too afraid to wear hijab! I had a son that depended on me for support you see and I could not afford to lose my job! I was afraid.

Then my first Ramadan as a Muslim I was alone in a place where I didnt know any other Muslims nearby. All of my family were respectful of my change but none of them understood or was going through it with me so I had really never felt so alone in my life. I decided that I would wear hijab for the first time in my life and wear it proudly in honor of my first Ramadan! Yep I did it! I held 2 jobs at the time and on my first job there was a dress code so of course I couldnt wear anything covering my head but my second job was at a call center just answering phones and none of the clients actually came in so nobody would see me except the people that I worked with. They all knew I was Muslim so I thought it would be ok. Yeah right......by the time Ramadan was in its 2nd week I was fired!!!!! They made up some lame excuse of course because its against the law to fire someone on the basis of religious discrimination and I had the right to wear my hijab but I got fired just the same! It didnt matter the excuse they used because I knew the real reason was because I wore hijab at work! Of course there was no way to prove that was the reason they fired me so I had to just accept the fact that my son and I had to live on my part time job until I could find another good job! I went from making 500 dollars per week down to 180 dollars per week so you can see that it really hurt me losing that job!!!

After being fired I took the hijab off and never wore it again for the rest of the time I lived in the USA! I finally found a new job that even allowed me to quit my other first job and work for just one employer! My new employer happened to be Muslim alhamdulillah!!!! He even knew the reason I was fired from that other job yet one day he came to me and asked me NOT to wear hijab while I am at work due to his fear of losing customers!!!!! He said people are afraid of Muslims and he was afraid of losing their business if they saw me wearing hijab!

Now I am living in an Islamic country and I am proudly wearing hijab all the time but I have to say its easy for me to do that here where almost every woman is wearing hijab! The question is if I should return to the USA would I have the courage? The answer is I just dont know!

Good luck to you on your job hunt my brother and may Allah bless you with a good job very soon inshallah!

wa salam

As-salam alaykom sister,

Thanks for replying. I understand where you are coming from. I used to work for AT&t as a line technician making almost $1500 a week and had great benefits. They fired me because I turned to Islam. I can't prove it, but everything they told me does not add up.
I was given an evaluation two times a year on my performance, and have always met or exceeded expectations. They upper management called me and told me they are going to separate me from the company because my performance was low. I was completely shocked. I have been trying to get into this company for so long. I was just trying to follow in my grand father, and my fathers foot steps. Since they have both worked for this company all their lives.
I even filed for unemployment and was granted it. After I had already received about $3000 AT&t challenged the unemployment and they won so I had to pay back all the money I was given. They told the unemployment officer that I was maliciously trying to hurt the company. Which is far from true. I had a better repair record than most of the guys in the crew I was part of.

Anyway, I am now working part time making $194 a week. I dont even make enough to pay for our car note.

But I believe, and I know Allah has a plan for me. So I try to be the best Muslim I can.

Thanks
Dawud

arzafar

^^^ so you can repair things! that's great.

i know an electric engineer who buys broken stuff from ebay, does some repairs and then sells it on a profit! There is definitely demand from refurbished electronics online. You should look into this type of part time work.

also if you have experience with certain types of products you can start a website to review/promote those products online. If somebody buys the product from your referral, you will earn a commission for each sale. yes making money online is possible! Just dont buy any get rich quick scams. All the information you need is available for free on the internet.

g0lden

^^^ so you can repair things! that's great.

i know an electric engineer who buys broken stuff from ebay, does some repairs and then sells it on a profit! There is definitely demand from refurbished electronics online. You should look into this type of part time work.

also if you have experience with certain types of products you can start a website to review/promote those products online. If somebody buys the product from your referral, you will earn a commission for each sale. yes making money online is possible! Just dont buy any get rich quick scams. All the information you need is available for free on the internet.

:)
I was trained in telecommunications so I know a little in that field. I wish I was better with electronics so I can repair them. I am good with my hands though.

Dawud

abu'muhammad

Thanks for replying. I understand where you are coming from. I used to work for AT&t as a line technician making almost $1500 a week and had great benefits. They fired me because I turned to Islam. I can't prove it, but everything they told me does not add up.
I was given an evaluation two times a year on my performance, and have always met or exceeded expectations. They upper management called me and told me they are going to separate me from the company because my performance was low. I was completely shocked. I have been trying to get into this company for so long. I was just trying to follow in my grand father, and my fathers foot steps. Since they have both worked for this company all their lives.
I even filed for unemployment and was granted it. After I had already received about $3000 AT&t challenged the unemployment and they won so I had to pay back all the money I was given. They told the unemployment officer that I was maliciously trying to hurt the company. Which is far from true. I had a better repair record than most of the guys in the crew I was part of.

Anyway, I am now working part time making $194 a week. I dont even make enough to pay for our car note.

But I believe, and I know Allah has a plan for me. So I try to be the best Muslim I can.

Thanks
Dawud

Assalaamu alaykum brother,

Sorry to read that, I feel If you could has asked for some proof. Like Where did I went wrong with my work ? and to their argument of turning to Islam- then as being muslim it has nothing to do with the work-efficiency as we know. Sometimes getting tougher to such employers is very necessary and is wise, who just have biases based upon as being Muslim.The employment officer could have seen your work in the past and how well you did your duty.

I had such problems in the past on being new to work after passing out engg. From personal view I do observe in this regard that there are people (not all) who have weak tandency to exploit the employers in varied ways.

Something similar sort of incident happened to my friend, who did worked in a diamond firm.As for information,This local place is known for diamond business. He had to his credit very nominal amount of money from the owner of the firm for his work but the owner was making him today-tomorrow calls and forwarding exemptions for no reasons. After much tussles he had his money.Later he said the money I got is equal to all travel expenses...the question that bug me quite a times is why people do such things and walk over the rights of others.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum

You need to go back to the Unemployment Commission and ask for a hearing. I would even contact a lawyer. I would have my work record with me.

They can not get away with this. Did you contact your union. I know the union will represent you.

Something does not sound right. Go fight for your rights.

msmoorad

mommys boy
Thanks for the replies brothers and sisters.
I have thought about building and selling computers at a great price. I'm skilled with computers so I thought maybe this would be a great route to take while going to school. I just need to see how much out of pocket this would cost me.

I really want to keep my beard, and I don't like the idea of cutting it just so I can take a job. That sounds kind of ridiculous to me.
Only Allah knows whats best. please pray for me.

Thanks
Dawud

salaams to all
regarding computers, maybe you could get your wife to inform her friends & family that you are selling computers quite cheap & if they have any problems with their computers etc- u can sort it out for them.
even pass this info out at musjids in the area and also businesses, schools, colleges etc.
i really, really feel sorry for you .
insha allah you & ur family will manage somehow.

jazakallah

DanyalSAC

As-salam alaykom sister,

Thanks
Dawud

SubhanhuAllah...this is terrible, I will make dua for you brother. I too worked for the telecommunications industry (in the 12 years I was at the company we went from TCI to AT&T then to Comcast). I converted to Islam and they were very accepting. They even provided the department with a prayer room (I can't say they provided "me" with it because other Muslims used it too...why they suffered in silence & never asked for one before I got there is beyond me). I even wore a kufi and thobe to work on more than one occasion, and when I started to grow the beard nobody said anything. But I do remember the few short years that we were AT&T they were far more rigid than Comcast was.

I think you should discuss this with your state's labor board, or dept of fair labor whichever its called.

g0lden

Thanks again everyone for the kind replies.

The first thing I did when I was notified of my separation was head to the CWA union offices to fill out the paper work to fight for what is right. My union went back and forth with AT&t and I was called in for several meetings. All of which were spaced out 2 months or more apart. I even had to deal with the unemployment office quite a few times after AT&t challenged the payments to me. All my records and hand written work I performed was in my work truck at the time. I was unable to get the info from AT&t and it was not even released to my union.

I finally had enough of the meetings, sitting and waiting for something I felt I was never going to win because of how AT&t was fighting (Dirty.) What I do know is, I am right! I did not lie about anything.
I believe I was meant to go back to school so I can prepare my life for a family, and this is going to be a very good decision.

Allahu'Akbar

Thanks
Dawud

Hasan al Amriki

A muslim should look presentable and his beard should not look untidy. I have attended a course offered by sk. Yasir Qadhi. Amazing class. You can trim to a presentable style and length. Allah knows the best.
:salam:

Yasir Qadhi? His beard isn't even up to the minimum (which is the length of four fingers).

bari

Sharia do not define the length. Please read and try to understand the opinions of all four imams. This will enlighten you rather than bashing scholars. How do you know if sk. Yasir is not more closer to Allah than you. Please be very careful.

noor aldeen

my bother ask allah for every thing in this life becouse every thing is in his hand
i pray to allah to ease you sake

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Sharia do not define the length. Please read and try to understand the opinions of all four imams. This will enlighten you rather than bashing scholars. How do you know if sk. Yasir is not more closer to Allah than you. Please be very careful.

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Please do not enforce your taqleed of Yaasir Qaadi on others, unless you are a mujtahid of some sort. If you have references and evidences that support your claim, then please share it with us.

And are you sure the 4 imaams did not define a length for the beard? If you are talking about the Shaafi`ee madh-hab and their definition of the beard length, then please research this issue properly before talking about it. BaarakAllaahu feek

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Please do not enforce your taqleed of Yaasir Qaadi on others, unless you are a mujtahid of some sort. If you have references and evidences that support your claim, then please share it with us.

And are you sure the 4 imaams did not define a length for the beard? If you are talking about the Shaafi`ee madh-hab and their definition of the beard length, then please research this issue properly before talking about it. BaarakAllaahu feek

Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu

Akh the bro quoted exactly what Yasir Qadhi quoted and it seems Mohammed Ash Shareef holds the same opinion.

http://muslimmatters.org/2008/11/24/the-beard-story-exclusive-interview-with-yasir-qadhi/#comments

Even I was surprised to see Yasir Qadhi before and after but he is a Scholar so I guess he based it on his Ijtihaad Allahu `alam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu

Akh the bro quoted exactly what Yasir Qadhi quoted and it seems Mohammed Ash Shareef holds the same opinion.

http://muslimmatters.org/2008/11/24/the-beard-story-exclusive-interview-with-yasir-qadhi/#comments

Even I was surprised to see Yasir Qadhi before and after but he is a Scholar so I guess he based it on his Ijtihaad Allahu `alam

assalamu alaykum Nope, he is not a scholar as in "shaykh". He is a Muslim Tv celebrity who happens to speak about Islam.

Its important we get the fatawa from those who are the Ulema in the position to give it. We take from those senior in ISlamic knowledge such as the likes of the Muhadith Shaykh al-Albani (rahimahullah, Shaykh Ibn Baz (rahimahullah), Ibn Uthaimeen (rahimahullah) and other than them at similar levels of knowledge. Today we have their senior most students who are well known for their knowledge and adherence to the Quran and Sunnah.

Wasalamu alaykum