share if you dare!

Globalpeace

Banned
Turkey!

Asslamo Allaikum,

Going off the subject!

I have backpacked in Turkey & absolutely love it! Because of its geography you get a unique experince.

Najmoen

Jumu'ah ???

:salam2:

My most confusing moment, is when I went to Antananarivo in Madagascar on business and while sightseeing the city, I saw a very large and beautiful Masjied in the distance, its minaret some three stories high compared to all its adjacent single stories. Right there I made up my mind thats where I'm going for Jumu'ah. Friday came, I had no idea there would be a traffic jam so I arrived at the mosque a bit late. On entering the mosque it was empty but I could hear the pre-ghutbah lecture in progress. What I did see however was numerous large shinny round silver trays raised on three legged tables about 300mm off the ground. Something I've never seen b4. Absolutely no one was in sight, it looked deserted. So I ascended a nearby staircase; on the second floor I opened the door and low and behold there were women everywhere many of whom turned to look towards the door as I walked in, and I and froze. I flung around and walked out my heart in my throat.

Meanwhile I could still hear the pre-ghutbah lecture which I then realized came through the audio system which spanned all three stories. On the third floor, I saw hundreds of men sitting in perfectly straight rows, and I smiled within. Out of respect for the Imaam speaking, I did not perform salaatul masjied. Sitting down, I was listening to the French ghutbah, much of which I understood but it was also inter dispersed with Malagash of which I understood swat, nada, nothing. However, when the Ghutbar started in Arabic, I could grasp some of what I missed in Malagash. The entire service was somewhat different from what I was used to, but I put it down to being in a foreign country, so I just went with the flow.

We all stood to perform namaaz, shoulder to shoulder, I recited my niyaat in silence and waited for the Imaam to start reciting, nada, nothing. Now I'm starting to get worried. So I recited Surah Faatigah and a short surah through this long enduring silence, then the Imaan said Allahoe Albar, we all made ruku. So I accepted to perform the namaaz in silence behind the Imaam. In Jalsa, second raka'ah and I'm waiting for the Imaan to make salaam to the right, but he says Allahu Akbar and we all stood up. It then dawned on me we are performing Salaalul Thur, so now my heart is at ease, but my mind is troubled and could not but wonder why we were doing salaatul Thur and not Salaatul Jum'ah, after all it was Friday, my mind was definitely not in my namaaz.

When the salaah was over, I proceeded down the steps, the second floor was empty, all the women had already left. On the ground floor, my curiosity made me peer through one of the partially open doors, only to see lots of men sitting around these large trays and food was being served to everyone. My Instinct tells me to take a photograph, so I whipped out my 2 megapixel phone and took a few shots. Then one of the brothers seeing me do this realised that I was a foreigner so he invited me to join them for the post Jumu'ah/Thur meal. I protested a bit in broken French then he switched to Arabic and we exchanged greetings and accepted his invitation. Whilest eating I discovered that my host was the Imaam of the mosque and that he also spoke English. We made pleasant conversation, spoke about South Africa the place of my origin, exchanged email addresses and after the meal I thanked him and I left, yet still puzzled about this entire episode. So on exiting the mosque I decided to take a picture of it from the courtyard. Then I saw it, high up above the mosque at the base of the minaret; The Name of the Mosque. It was Hoosainy Masjied, the name created with a plastic tubbing with lights inside, the type some people use for Christamas trimmings, and there was a plague on the entrance wall which read Shia Mosque. My heart sank to my feet and for the next two days I couldn't sleep, and my mind was in turmoil. I have overcome that mental ordeal but it will stay with me the rest of my life.

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams

When I got married I hadn't been muslim all that long - only 6 months. I didn;t realise that it is custom for the bride to generally be quite composed during the service and meal etc as she is really leaving her family and should be a little sad.

My husband and I had known each other for several years and I had left home about 5 years before. So instead of sitting there all meek and mild, I was grinning and chatting like nothing! doh! People were looking at me like " whats she doing?" and my husband was on other side of the room so he didn't tell me - I was excited and happy it was my wedding day and in my British culture - the bride smiles, is full of life etc!

it got worse....my excitment got to me! After the nikah, I was so happy we were married and everything was halal that when everyone was congrtualting my in-laws etc, I leaned towards my husband and said " alhamdulillah ! we're married" and leaned in for a kiss....( im really embaressed telling you this but he is my husband and I figure some of the western revets here will understand) anyways.....It would appear I didnt say it as quietly as I thouhgt and his cousins, who heared me and saw me lean towards him looked at me really shocked and amazed! They must have thought who is this crazy girl our cousin has married! lol...anyway - my husband said " err not now sweetie" and looked at me funny and I kind of caught on.......very embaressing!! Lets just say, I was wearing red, and my face almost matched the material of my dress and scarf!!

Like I said, I was a new revert and in English culture its perfectly acceptable, normal even for the bride and groom to kiss in front of everyone once the service is over...they actaully say " you may now kiss the bride" so I didnt really get how I was expected to behave........OOPS!

Anyways it turned out all good we are happily married and I get on well with all his family! Alhamdulillah.

Salaams

Steve940

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh
You have Brothers in New York who lash others because of committing fornication (imparting Justice)...

My revert room-mate went to one of these places & got lashed because he slept with a girl; I wasn't practising at the time so didn't really bother me...

He actually thought of this as part of his repentence towards Allah (SWT)...

You have all sorts of wacky sects and beleives; trust me!

“The fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by Allaah, if you believe in Allaah and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment”

Surah An-Nur 24:2

100 lashes is the prescribed punishment for illegal sexual intercourse (if you are not married)

Wa salam

Najmoen

Wacky sects

To the brother who said "You have all sorts of wacky sects and beleives; trust me!"

I assume that you have accepted Islam, I therefore, can only appeal to your sense of Islam to do yourself the greatest favour you have ever done, as well as for the community within which you live. Read Qur'an with comprehension, Please. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Your statement is rebelious towards Islam and those Muslims who practice it to the letter, your statement could cost you a hand and a foot at opposite ends - bite your tongue!

liaa

Oh sister, where would I start in answering this question?! I have had too many slip-ups to name! Subhanallah, we can laugh and learn :)

I'll start with one from my mum, from back before I reverted...My mum, she's respectful of Islam and of other people's beliefs, but she just knows little about those but her own, y'know? Anyway, one day I introduced her to a Muslim friend of mine, and my mum was like "Hey Mohammed, come in...settle down...would you like a beer?". I couldn't have been more embarrassed if I'd tried, but alhamdulillah she's my mother and I love her, and luckily the brother saw the funny side!

Another one, I was in Abu Dhabi last autumn, and I was driving an automatic-geared, left-hand-drive car for the first time, which led to mass confusion...I passed a bunch of worshippers heading to the nearby mosque, prayer mats tucked under their arms, as adhan was calling right at that moment. So I was like OK, drive slowly, pass respectfully..which I did. However, it started to rain, it rained in Abu Dhabi for the first time in like forever, which just happened to be during my first trip there! So I had to switch on the window wipers in this confusing car, but accidentally hit the horn, making it sound loud and long...not once, but twice!

Also in UAE, on another occasion, I noticed that my hotel toilet (and every other toilet I'd encountered thus far in UAE) had a hose attached to the side of it, and a nozzle on the end out of which water sprays. I was like woooooooooow to my friends, come and see this, it's a foot cleaner or something! Through their laughter, they managed to explain that it's used to clean yourself properly after using the bathroom! This was after I'd sprayed the thing all around the place like a kid with a water gun!

this was really funny :))

NaXuS

Salaams

When I got married I hadn't been muslim all that long - only 6 months. I didn;t realise that it is custom for the bride to generally be quite composed during the service and meal etc as she is really leaving her family and should be a little sad.

My husband and I had known each other for several years and I had left home about 5 years before. So instead of sitting there all meek and mild, I was grinning and chatting like nothing! doh! People were looking at me like " whats she doing?" and my husband was on other side of the room so he didn't tell me - I was excited and happy it was my wedding day and in my British culture - the bride smiles, is full of life etc!

it got worse....my excitment got to me! After the nikah, I was so happy we were married and everything was halal that when everyone was congrtualting my in-laws etc, I leaned towards my husband and said " alhamdulillah ! we're married" and leaned in for a kiss....( im really embaressed telling you this but he is my husband and I figure some of the western revets here will understand) anyways.....It would appear I didnt say it as quietly as I thouhgt and his cousins, who heared me and saw me lean towards him looked at me really shocked and amazed! They must have thought who is this crazy girl our cousin has married! lol...anyway - my husband said " err not now sweetie" and looked at me funny and I kind of caught on.......very embaressing!! Lets just say, I was wearing red, and my face almost matched the material of my dress and scarf!!

Like I said, I was a new revert and in English culture its perfectly acceptable, normal even for the bride and groom to kiss in front of everyone once the service is over...they actaully say " you may now kiss the bride" so I didnt really get how I was expected to behave........OOPS!

Anyways it turned out all good we are happily married and I get on well with all his family! Alhamdulillah.

Salaams

That was really funny n may Allah give barakat in ur happiness.

ameen

When a person look back into his life n he /she searched for the cherished moment then strangely u realize that they were more than u remember .In fact if u try to a look more closer into them then even ur present moments become cherished by them.

that was just a though n pray.I just really like that instance from ur life.

Khuda Hafiz

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asslamo Allaikum,

We were travelling through New York & decided to stop for Zoh'r Prayer at a Mosque.

Imam started the prayer, went in Ruku, Phone rang

He picked it up as the Phone was next to him (for some reason) and said, "We are praying can you call back in 5 minutes"

Continued praying...

After prayers one of the brothers tried to tell me that he didn't think his actions were correct...

He answered, "I take my Deen from the Authetic Sunnah & not from Pakistanees...There is a Saheeh Hadeeth that talks about it being permissable to speak during Salah, Phone rang so I spoke; what's the problem?"

Brother said, I am NOT Pakistani; I am Kuwaiti and what you did was incorrect...

He said, "OK...won't do it again" and repeated the prayer!

After that the brother told the Imam that he was born in Kuwait of Pakistani Parents!

Imam looked at us like he was gonna eat us alive; we thought it was best to leave!

Answering the telephone whilst praying

amyaishazouaoui

Well heres a god one.
It was the day before my best friends wedding and we were all sitting in her dining room chatting, her mum, dad, auntie, cousins.
Some were eating fruit.
My best friend doesnt like fruit.

Someone offered her fruit and I said no "she doesnt to the "f" word", innocently meaning fruit.
I looked at her, she looked at me. After about 10 seconds i realised what i had just said, swiftly moved into the kitchen, she followed.
We both ended up not being able to stand in fits of laughter......................... it was so really funny.

Then a while later after she was married, all her inlwas were round the house. I went to the bathroom and i though I'd locked the door.
Moments later, her brother in law opened the door. you cant imagine the embarassment!!!!!!!!!
Ive never managed to live that one down......but i always make sure the door is locked now!

So my best friends family are used to me now, and just ignore any slips that come out of my mouth.

I can ad comedy value to any dull situation!!!!!

So everyone think before you speak and remember to lock the door of the bathroom!!!!!:eek:

:wasalam:

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
Just to let you know Albania is a former communist country. Its population is 70% muslim and 30% Catholic.

Last year on holiday in Albania my husband (Albanian) was served prok sandwiches by some guys who swore blind it was beef. This was before I reverted and I ate the same and could confirm it was pork.......my husband was tricked!

Albanians are weak in Iman.....they drink even though they know its wrong, the whole communist regime has mucked up their ideals! Having said that the younger generation are the ones who are starting to embrace Islam in manner and dress. But they are still outnumbered.....as a whole Albanians see themselves as 'European muslims' and think they can be westernised :astag:

W-Salam,

Due to lack of knowledge Bosnian & Albanian Muslims also drink Alcohol (particularly on Eid) & eat Pork.

Let's do our best to inform Muslims, Insha'Allah.

I still havn't had a chance to visit China yet; how common is it for people to understand English there?

talkadams

assalam!

these thread remind me of a a revert friend that sneezed instead of saying the rigth thing i.e alhandulillah,he openly say rabbana walakalhamdu....a loud
lol...

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

This one is not mine, but my husband...

The first time he prayed among other people, in Jummah prayer, when the person next to him went "salaam aleikum wa....." my husband said "Wa aleikum salaam" :lol:

Jihan

i'm not a revert but.... i got one too!
ok it was Friday and early dismisals at school. and some of the girls decide they want to go to masjid to pray jum'a. now let me tell you this I had not done this for a couple of years (that is go to juma'). so we go and listen to the khutba. and whemn its over we start praying. now when we are on the second rakah naturally i thought there was going to be a third (and fourth). but the imam says assalaamu 'alaikum warahmutullah.... we are finished with prayer. I look around to see if anyone is going to tell the imam he forgot the two last rakat. nobody was saying anything... am i going insane? did we already pray all 4?.. i remebered a hadith that said one of the major signs of the day of judgement was that all the kitaabs (the quran) would be blank and nobody would no the difference...so i was thinking are all the prayers going to be shorter also without anyone realizing it! I thought the end of the world was coming... then one of the girls looked at my facial expression and said what is wrong with you?
I told her i thought the world is officially coming to an end because we prayed only two rakats during dhuhr and nobody noticed! she laughed and said it is not the end of the world but we were praying juma, which has only two rakat. I felt so stupid and i remebered a regular day has 17 rakats we need to pray while fridays have only 15! but i also felt better and i wasn't scared anymore...Alhamdullilaah!

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalamu alaykum,

We all had some slip up in our life and mind are very embarrassing but the most embarrassing thing happen to me three weeks ago i was with my sister and father at the mosques and praying i want in the mosques and everyone was praying and i join in then i totally take confuse that i finish praying with everyone rather:shymuslima1: than continuing the prayer i miss that the lady next to me who came late stand up to continue. I was embarrassing i kind off ran out of the mosques. I get my mistake and laugh but it at that minute i was so embarrass.