Stoning in Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islam!!yay

:salam2:

im sure we all heard of Irans desire to stone a woman to death right? I was wondering if this is really an Islamic thing. Some say that the hadith that states of Prophet Mohammed's PBUH stoning isnt a very authentic hadiths. And I was wondering myself If this way of punishment was a Middle Eastern way of punishing ( and if the punishment for adultery would be different if the crime were to happen , say, in Asia) considering stoning is not mentioned in the Quran. To be honest it really brought my Iman down. Can you imagine yourself being stone and how painful it would be ?

Forgive me if this thread sounds disturbing but im just a teenager thats trying to learn. Thank You

If this thread is deleted then I would have serious issues with this website. Im just a person thats trying to understand

weakslave

:wasalam:

There is discussion of this here:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70383

It's only the weak and those seeking approval of the "west" are the ones who claim that stoning isn't part of Islam. Denying the laws of Allaah is a grave sin.

Stoning is painful, and it is a punishment for the one who causes his family to fall apart. Stoning is only applied when the man who commits adultery is married. Because this is widespread in our world, we make little of the destructiveness of this major sin. What about the emotions of the man, the woman, the children when they learn of this?

Allaah's rule is just, and it protects the innocent and punishes those who aim to corrupt.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
It was narrated from Jaabir that a man from (the tribe of) Aslam came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he was in the mosque and he said, “I have committed adultery.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) turned his face away from him. The man came to that side to which the Prophet had turned his face, and testified against himself four times. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, "Are you mad?” He said, “No.” The Prophet said, “Are you married?" He said, "Yes.” So he commanded that he be stoned in the Musalla (Eid prayer place). When the stones troubled him, he ran away, until he was caught in al-Harrah and killed.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4969; Muslim, 1691.

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Learn from me. Allaah has given them a way out. If an unmarried person commits fornication with an unmarried person, (the punishment is) one hundred lashes and exile for one year. If a married person commits adultery with a married person, (the punishment is) one hundred lashes and stoning.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1690).

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu...

we consider sunnah too!!muslims consider Quran and sunnah.....there are a lot of things in explained in sunnah that are not explained in Quran so we reject them all?that is not a muslims way:)

this is what another thread says about a girl being stoned:
:bismillah:

The story is as follows:

"Buraidah said: "A woman of Ghamid came to the Prophet and said: "I have committed fornication", He said: "Go back". She returned and on the next day she came to him again, and said: "Perhaps you want to send me back as you did to Maiz b. Malik. I swear by Allah, I am pregnant." He said to her: "Go back". She then returned and came to him the next day. He said to her: "Go back until you give birth to the child." She then returned. When she gave birth to the child she brought the child to him, and said: "Here it is! I have given birth to it." He said: "Go back, and suckle him until you wean him." When she had weaned him, she brought him to him with something in his hand which he was eating. The boy was then given to a certain man of the Muslims and he (the prophet) commanded regarding her. So a pit was dug for her, and he gave orders about her and she was stoned to death. Khalid was one of those who were throwing stones at her. He threw a stone at her. When a drop of blood fell on his cheek, he abused her. The prophet said to him: "Gently, Khalid. By Him in Whose hand my soul is, she has repented to such an extent that if one who wrongfully takes an extra tax were to repent to a like extent, he would be forgiven". Then giving command regarding her, prayed over her and she was buried.""

It is not that the woman did not accept Allaah's forgiveness. When we ask for repentance we hope Allaah will forgive us.. but how many dare say that this is a guarantee? Nobody. Allaah has dictated stoning to death as means of forgiving the sin of adultery, and there are lessons in this command.

1. Adultery is a serious crime that is not to be taken lightly. In an Islamic state (and only then), this is punishable by stoning. This is to prevent widespread corruption and evil.

2. Stoning is a painful way to die. This is to make up for the pleasure gained during illegal sexual intercourse.

The woman was worried, she was scared. She feared that if she did not get punished for her sin in this life, she would face it in the hereafter and that image lived with her and she even came back after the Messenger :saw: sought excuses for her.

had it been something completely rejected in islam the prophet would not have stoned her at allcoz if for once we should remember that the prophet:saw:was a very kind hearted and compassionate person.....look at how he kept on delaying the punishment...

if he was strict that was against evil,and that is why he puished her coz he could find no more excuse for her and she had commited evil after all....

hassana elkoussi

im sure we all heard of Irans desire to stone a woman to death right? I was wondering if this is really an Islamic thing. Some say that the hadith that states of Prophet Mohammed's PBUH stoning isnt a very authentic hadiths. And I was wondering myself If this way of punishment was a Middle Eastern way of punishing ( and if the punishment for adultery would be different if the crime were to happen , say, in Asia) considering stoning is not mentioned in the Quran. To be honest it really brought my Iman down. Can you imagine yourself being stone and how painful it would be ?

Forgive me if this thread sounds disturbing but im just a teenager thats trying to learn. Thank You

If this thread is deleted then I would have serious issues with this website. Im just a person thats trying to understand

Salam alaikum brother,

Yes, brother, stoning is mentioned in sunnah of the Prophet pbuh in an authentic hadith narrated in one of the most authentic hadith books - Muslim.
Sorry i couldn't find u an English translation of the fatwa, but it's there in Islam Q&A, fatwa no. 120913. I don't think u should be disturbed by this. THese legal punishments - though harsh they may look - are there for the protection of the society as a whole. For example if someone who's planning to steal finds the hands of someone else being cut off, he will think twice or even more before carrying out this theft. THe same applies here if someone is considering this filthy act sees someone in public being stoned to death, this will definitely be an admonishment. And may I remind u that this stoning is only carried out on married men or women who commit adultery, bc then they have no excuse. It is merely an attempt to attain a full purification of the Muslim society. It is part of the mercy of Allah swt on the ummah as a whole to protect its members from all kinds of filth.

Salam alaikum

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh everyone,

Brother as heartless as it may sound....we cannot deny the truth! but for this punishment to be carried on someone there has to be EVIDENCE FOUR witness to say that such and such person committed adultery! I dont think it'll be easy to find FOUR people who "watched" adultery take place!astaqfurullah! ...subhanaAllaah,
The punishments we see this days are torture and based on lies! most of the people are missing that part! it takes alot of evidences to actually find someone guilty of this and then stone them. Another reason for someone to be punished for this is if they actually say "THEY DID IT" and thus wanted to be punished and purified. There is a story of a woman in the prophets time who came back to him :saw: many times to be stoned....and he delayed it time after time until he didnt have anymore excuses to delay this. SubhanaAllaah, Islam is pure and amazing religion, it's laws and it's regulations are from the all wise. AlhamduliAllaah and they're perfect:)

kayleigh

I was told that most scholars say it is allowed while some are on the fence. I mean, adultery IS punishable by death, I think what some disagree about is just HOW you kill the person. But in the case of stoning I can't help but think... who would be able to stomach taking part in it?

But that case in Iran isn't Islamic at all. That's just sick.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
I was told that most scholars say it is allowed while some are on the fence. I mean, adultery IS punishable by death, I think what some disagree about is just HOW you kill the person. But in the case of stoning I can't help but think... who would be able to stomach taking part in it?

Yeah I'm sure that in Iran isn't according to the Quran & Sunnah they run politics in the name of religion

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

guys with tough hearts.that's a condition as far as i know.coz i heard(if i'm wrong should be correct)that tough guys are required so they won't quit in the middle of it overcome by emotions and the person half dead would suffer more pain,waiting for someone to finish the job..Astagfirullah may ALLAH protect us and have mercy on us.

alf2

Islam is a way of life

You know what I cant help but be reminded of? "Those without sin cast the first stone" :(

Islam!!yay

ok All of you are enforced that stoning is the way Prophet Muhammed PBUH punished adulterers but how can you explain this verse of the Quran ?

"[This is] a Chapter which We have sent down, mandated it and sent down in it verses of clear evidence so that you may remember.
The fornicating woman and the fornicating man - flog each one of the two of them a hundred lashes, and let not pity take you for them in the religion of God, if you should believe in God and the Final Day. And let witness their torment a group of the believers." (24:1-2)

kayleigh

ok All of you are enforced that stoning is the way Prophet Muhammed PBUH punished adulterers but how can you explain this verse of the Quran ?

"[This is] a Chapter which We have sent down, mandated it and sent down in it verses of clear evidence so that you may remember.
The fornicating woman and the fornicating man - flog each one of the two of them a hundred lashes, and let not pity take you for them in the religion of God, if you should believe in God and the Final Day. And let witness their torment a group of the believers." (24:1-2)

Thank you for posting that.

Abu Talib

Feeling low

That is incase they are unmarried. Yes the Quran doesn't state about stoning an adulterer but it is established from the Sunnah of the Prophet Mohammed (Peace and blessings be upon him) to stone the adulterers to death. There are various hadith that establish the fact that stoning was done by the sahabas and also the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) ordered it.

There is a difference between a fornication and adultery I hope you know that.

Abdul25

Logical Believer

That is incase they are unmarried. Yes the Quran doesn't state about stoning an adulterer but it is established from the Sunnah of the Prophet Mohammed (Peace and blessings be upon him) to stone the adulterers to death. There are various hadith that establish the fact that stoning was done by the sahabas and also the Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) ordered it.

this is helpful mashAllah, but i have some query .like in those times it was necessary to stone to death, means to say the culture was such that, now we have better methods and ways to execute this, i think the purpose of all this exercise is first to punish the adultery and second to create fear amongst the people so that they don't do that. now if we can achieve this thing by other means of execution, be it public :confused:.
if any one can please shed light on it..

jazakAllah kahir..

Abu Talib

Feeling low
this is helpful mashAllah, but i have some query .like in those times it was necessary to stone to death, means to say the culture was such that, now we have better methods and ways to execute this, i think the purpose of all this exercise is first to punish the adultery and second to create fear amongst the people so that they don't do that. now if we can achieve this thing by other means of execution, be it public :confused:.
if any one can please shed light on it..

jazakAllah kahir..

:wasalam:

Read this brother it has the exact question like yours.

It is not permissible to replace stoning of an adulterer with killing by the sword or by shooting
Praise be to Allaah.

It is essential to stone the married adulterer until he dies, following the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as it is proven that he said that, did it and enjoined it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned Maa’iz, the Juhani woman, the Ghaamidi woman, and the two Jews. All of that is proven in saheeh ahaadeeth narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The scholars among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), the Taabi’een and those who came after them are also unanimously agreed on that. No one differed from them apart from those to whose views no attention is to be paid. Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with the truth and revealed to him the Book, and one of the things that Allaah revealed was the verse of stoning. We have read it and understood it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned (adulterers) and we stoned (them) after him, but I fear that there may come a time when some people say: ‘By Allaah, we do not find the verse of stoning in the Book of Allaah.’ So they will go astray by forsaking an obligation that Allaah has revealed. According to the Book of Allaah, stoning is deserved by the one who commits zina, if he is married, men and women alike, if proof is established or the woman becomes pregnant or they confess…”

Based on this, it is not permissible to replace stoning with killing by the sword or shooting, because stoning is a more severe punishment and a more effective deterrent to the sin of zina, which is the most grave sin after shirk and killing a soul whom Allaah has forbidden us to kill. The hadd punishment of stoning for a married person who commits zina is one of the matters that is determined by the Qur’aan and Sunnah and there is no room for ijtihaad or personal opinion. If killing by the sword or shooting were permissible in the case of the married adulterer then the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have done that and would have explained it to his ummah, and his companions after him would have done that too.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 22/48-49

Islam!!yay

ok I looked up the definition of Fornicators and it states

"Fornication is a term that typically refers to consensual sexual intercourse between married or unmarried heterosexual adults, or between people who are not of marriagable age (teens), or between persons who are not in a stable committed relationship"

So i think the Quran is also refering to adulterers , dont you think so ?

Abu Talib

Feeling low

ok I looked up the definition of Fornicators and it states

"Fornication is a term that typically refers to consensual sexual intercourse between married or unmarried heterosexual adults, or between people who are not of marriagable age (teens), or between persons who are not in a stable committed relationship"

So i think the Quran is also refering to adulterers , dont you think so ?

I am unaware of that. According to my knowledge adultery is a person who is married and has sexual intercourse with another woman who is not his wife.
And Fornication is between two unmarried persons.

As I mentioned earlier the Quran states not about stoning punishment for adultery its from the sunnah that we follow. And if your adamant by saying Quran does not state it then I can't help it. There are many things the Quran does not say but we follow from Sunnah. And also if you insist that the Quran does not state anything about stoning so did the Messenger of Allaah (Peace Be Upon Him) went against it by ordering the stoning??

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

i would add one thing will the prophet:saw: of ALLAH do something that is not acceptible to ALLAH???would he add something to islaam that is not a part of it??would he act in a manner that would contradict ALLAH's deen??

Appa BK

Muslimah Light
As Salaam Mu Aleykum Dearest TTI Brothers and Sisters.

I have read and understood each persons argument/point of view etc. But what I do fail to understand is the fact that one never hears about the man getting stoned or imprisoned or lashed its only the women... Surely a man is an equal contributor to the act of adultery??? But its always the woman! another thing is that in order for a person to be charged and convicted of adultery there has to be three credible witness.. no?
I have a question... who could actually be a witness to an act such as this...

Status
Not open for further replies.