Stoning, what is it's position in Islam?

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
I dont believe the prophet (PBUH)said that . The quran said that he was a man of compassion and mercy

AstaghfirAllah...

Once you said the shahadah, it is just Sami7na Wa Ata7na.

Firstly i am very proud of my brothers and sisters who posted here and try to defend the Sunnah. May Allah grant the brothers and sisters here with Jannatul Firdaos.

Islam Yay, do you know a lot of proceedings have to be done before you are eligible for stoning. Sheikh Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh said in Islamic Law, no one can be punished for adultery, man or woman, until it is legally confirmed that he or she did it.

And also this punishment is to protect a women like you(if you are married) from a rapist. Sheikh Sulayman Sheikh Sulaymân al-`Îsâ, professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh, said if it is confirmed that a man engaged in sexual intercourse with a woman by threatening to kill her or by using some kind of drug or anesthetic, then his crime will be more serious than that of consentual sex.The punishment thereto is death by execution. He will not be entitled to any pardon or reprieve whatsoever, regardless of whether he was single or married. And the woman will not be punished if there is any reason to believe that she was forced into the act. The least evidence in this regard will be sufficient to save the woman from punishment. Our Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah has pardoned my people for the acts they do by mistake, due to forgetfulness, and what they are coerced into doing” [Related by Ibn Mâjah and authenticated by al-Nawawî, Ibn Hajr, and al-Albânî].

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
I saw a video in which people some people stone the offenders till they bleed.And while they were stoning they were calling "God is great" in Arabic.The victims were tied and their whole body was buried up to the head.
I hope its not reall or does not belong to Islam.And if it does Im sorry if Im hurting anyone.

Can you PM me the video:)

Islam!!yay

AstaghfirAllah...

Once you said the shahadah, it is just Sami7na Wa Ata7na.

Firstly i am very proud of my brothers and sisters who posted here and try to defend the Sunnah. May Allah grant the brothers and sisters here with Jannatul Firdaos.

Islam Yay, do you know a lot of proceedings have to be done before you are eligible for stoning. Sheikh Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh said in Islamic Law, no one can be punished for adultery, man or woman, until it is legally confirmed that he or she did it.

And also this punishment is to protect a women like you(if you are married) from a rapist. Sheikh Sulayman Sheikh Sulaymân al-`Îsâ, professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh, said if it is confirmed that a man engaged in sexual intercourse with a woman by threatening to kill her or by using some kind of drug or anesthetic, then his crime will be more serious than that of consentual sex.The punishment thereto is death by execution. He will not be entitled to any pardon or reprieve whatsoever, regardless of whether he was single or married. And the woman will not be punished if there is any reason to believe that she was forced into the act. The least evidence in this regard will be sufficient to save the woman from punishment. Our Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah has pardoned my people for the acts they do by mistake, due to forgetfulness, and what they are coerced into doing” [Related by Ibn Mâjah and authenticated by al-Nawawî, Ibn Hajr, and al-Albânî].

Well we always have different belief on something i guess . And I thank everyone who tried to enlight me on the subject .

And alkathiri Im a guy not a woman lol

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Well we always have different belief on something i guess . And I thank everyone who tried to enlight me on the subject .

And alkathiri Im a guy not a woman lol

:salam2:
Haha...didnt know you are a brother

I dont quite understand what you mean by different belief. There is only one belief, Ya akhi

:hearts::hearts:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

here is the thing i think about all of this:

it is very clear that punishment of stoning is islamically valid under certain conditions. and that the act of stoning cannot be acted out with proper evidence of guilt on both parties. islam does require proof and witnesses. what can be problematic is if people lie against the accused and the accused gets killed.

the problem is that when some of us sin, we do not rush to make taubah to ALLAH SWT. we all know that it is wrong for a muslim to reveal his past sins that he has already repented to ALLAH SWT for. so if a woman and i have comitted zinaa and we both have sincerely repented and we haven't been caught by people, and have made sure not to do it again. we keep the sins to ourselves and it is up to us to remain sincere on our repentance. however, if we were to be caught, we have to accept the punishment of our crime.

i believe that nine out of ten americans have smoked marijuana at least one time in their lives. smoking, buying, selling, marijuana are all illegal. most of us have publicly admitted this. yet the police cannot arrest us for saying that we have done this before in our lives. why? because we need to be caught. most people that have smoked weed were basically experimenting with it. and most regret ever having had done it. now, if the police officer had seen you smoking weed or selling it, the cop would have the right to arrest you, and it will be jstified to punish you under the law. the laws of shari'ah may seem to be harsh, but they should cause us to think before we act. that's the point. although ALLAH SWT loves when we repent for our sins, but isn't it better to avoid sins in the first place? it's funny that we are so afraid of the IRS and we make sure not to get in any trouble with them because we fear being sent to jail or paying thousands of dollars, yet we don't fear breaking the laws of the one that has the ability to send us to the hellfire.
:wasalam:

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
I dont believe the prophet (PBUH)said that . The quran said that he was a man of compassion and mercy

why you don't belive that?

do YOU KNOW prophet Muhammed pbuh sent to a people used to buried THEIR girls alive when they reach the age 6?
do you belive that he change all of that

YOU TOTALLY DO NOT KNOW HIM visit this thread

A Mercy IS "Muhammed pbuh"
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=241041#post241041

Words of Wisdom from Prophet Mohammad

"A Muslim who plants a tree or sows a field, from which man, birds and animals can eat, is committing an act of charity."
"Allah will not give mercy to anyone, except those who give mercy to other creatures."
Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever is not kind has no faith."

What is the ruling apostate in chrsitininty full of stones

De 17:2 If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant,
3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;

4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel:

5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
7 The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.

Thus, when the law of Moses to kill every person to worship other gods, no matter who that human man or woman or child without advise and not accepted like in Islam, and that of Islam to make the mercy of the apostate and to review the command of repentance is not just kill , so it will not kill as in the law of Moses in the Book without even advice?

what you will say about the bible when its punishment to slay pregnant woman?

Ho 13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

What i didn't see a worst than that book in the world of matter annihilation cross sword and shattering children

Now read about a seduction or what the rulling of seduction , as if its a crimethat violates however, tried to lure another person, simply put forward ideas for dialogue and exchange with another person to worship god will be doomed to murder killed

De 13:8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.
12 ¶ If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,
13 Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known;
14 Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
16 And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.
17 And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;
Am 2:4 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Judah, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have despised the law of the LORD, and have not kept his commandments, and their lies caused them to err, after the which their fathers have walked:

Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

Le 24:11 And the Israelitish woman’s son blasphemed the name of the LORD, and cursed. And they brought him unto Moses: (and his mother’s name was Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan:

stoning there in the bible then!

Le 24:23 And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Ex 22:20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Jer 12:17 But if they will not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, saith the LORD.

Le 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

De 4:3 Your eyes have seen what the LORD did because of Baalpeor: for all the men that followed Baalpeor, the LORD thy God hath destroyed them from among you.

De 29:18 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;

19 And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst:
20 The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven.
21 And the LORD shall separate him unto evil out of all the tribes of Israel, according to all the curses of the covenant that are written in this book of the law:

Jos 23:16 When ye have transgressed the covenant of the LORD your God, which he commanded you, and have gone and served other gods, and bowed yourselves to them; then shall the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and ye shall perish quickly from off the good land which he hath given unto you.

Jud 2:14 And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers that spoiled them, and he sold them into the hands of their enemies round about, so that they could not any longer stand before their enemies.

Rememmber what jesus has said

Mt 5:17 ¶ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.[/COLOR]
what do you think then?

YOU WANT THE REAL VIOLENCE?
OPEN THE BIBLE AND READ

jesus said in Matthew

10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Matthew
10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Luke
12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

Luke
12:53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law

Luke
14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Luke
19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Matthew
10:21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.

Ezekiel
9:4 And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.

Ezekiel
9:6 Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house

Ezekiel

9:7 And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city

Joel
3:9 Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up:

Leviticus

27:28 Notwithstanding no devoted thing, that a man shall devote unto the LORD of all that he hath, both of man and beast, and of the field of his possession, shall be sold or redeemed: every devoted thing is most holy unto the LORD

Isaiah
13:15 Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword.

2 Samuel
12:30 And he took their king's crown from off his head, the weight whereof was a talent of gold with the precious stones: and it was set on David's head. And he brought forth the spoil of the city in great abundance.

21:14 So the LORD sent pestilence upon Israel: and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men.

Jeremiah
48:10 Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Ezekiel

9:5 And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: 9:6 Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house

so its not a strange the
Crusades !!

Joshua
6:21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

1 Samuel
15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

1 Samuel
15:8 And he took Agag the king of the Amalekites alive, and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword.

Hosea
13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Psalms

139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there

Isaiah
4:4 When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.

Amos
2:3 And I will cut off the judge from the midst thereof, and will slay all the princes thereof with him, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah
12:3 But thou, O LORD, knowest me: thou hast seen me, and tried mine heart toward thee: pull them out like sheep for the slaughter, and prepare them for the day of slaughter

Isaiah
48:22 There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked.

Jeremiah

16:3 For thus saith the LORD concerning the sons and concerning the daughters that are born in this place, and concerning their mothers that bare them, and concerning their fathers that begat them in this land; 16:4 They shall die of grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine; and their carcases shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth.

Jeremiah
19:9 And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them

Jeremiah
21:10 For I have set my face against this city for evil, and not for good, saith the LORD: it shall be given into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall burn it with fire

Deuteronomy
32:41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.

Hope you understand how islam merciful beside the bible .

Mairo

Maryama
Iran often gains particular coverage for it's regular use of stoning as a mode of execution.

What is the scholarly view on this?. I had been told that the prophet, p.b.u.h. opposed such?.

I'd appreciate information.

Thanks
S

This is an important topic, so I wanted to elaborate on what has been presented previously with references to Quran and Sunnah.

It is clear that fornication and adultery are heinous sins. The problem is that we have become so desensitized to just how terrible these acts truly are. It is so prevalent in the world today, Shaitan has truly deceived so many and led so many people astray. Engaging in pre-marital or extra-marital affairs was once clearly regarded as an evil and transgression, but is now often considered good and normal to engage in these types of relationships. I am so glad that more and more people are "seeing the light" with the religion of Islam and are stopping this detrimental behavior which is so harmful.

Consider the following

Volume 8, Book 82, Number 802:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud:
I said, "O Allah's Apostle! Which is the biggest sin?" He said, "To set up rivals to Allah by worshipping others though He alone has created you." I asked, "What is next?" He said, "To kill your child lest it should share your food." I asked, "What is next?" He said, "To commit illegal sexual intercourse with the wife of your neighbor."

from the Quran:
"And those who invoke not any other god along with Allah, nor kill such life as Allah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse (zina) and whoever does this shall receive the punishment. The torment will be doubled to him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein in disgrace; except those who repent and believe and do righteous deeds, for those Allah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allah is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful." (al-Furqaan #25, ayat #68-70)

"And come not near to unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a faahishah (a great sin) and an evil way." (Sura Al-Israa # 17 ayah # 32)

It is clear that there is a terrible punishment awaiting those who remain unrepentant regarding this sin. BUT, fortunately for us, Allah is most kind and merciful and accepts the sincere repentance of his servants. Alhamdulilahi for that!

Consider the following . . .
Hadithi Qudsi: "O son of Adam, as long as you call upon Me and put your hope in Me, I have forgiven you for what you have done and I do not mind. O son of Adam, if your sins were to reach the clouds of the sky and then you would seek My forgiveness, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, if you were to come to Me with sins that are close to filling the earth and then you would meet Me without ascribing any partners with Me, I would certainly bring to you forgiveness close to filling it."

Say: O My servants who have transgressed against their own souls, despair not of the mercy of Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful. [39.53]
And return to your Lord time after time and submit to Him before there comes to you the punishment, then you shall not be helped. [39.54]

‘Amr ibn Al-‘Aas narrates, “When Islam entered my heart, I went to the Messenger of Allah and said, ‘Give me your hand so that I may pledge allegiance to you.’ The Prophet spread his hand, but I withdrew mine. He said, ‘What is wrong ‘Amr?’ I said, ‘I want to make a condition.’ ‘And what is that?’ he said. I said, ‘That Allah will forgive me.’ Then the Messenger of Allah said, ‘Did you not know that Islam wipes out what came before it, and that Hijrah wipes out what came before it and that Hajj wipes out what came before it!” (Sahih Muslim).

However, once we have entered the religion of Islam, we are brought out of that state of ignorance, and recognize the truth of the warning contained in the Quran and agree to sumbit ourselves fully to the Law of Allah. Therefore, we must be willing to take full responsibility for our transgressions from this point on, because we are no longer acting in ignorance but know exactly what are the major sins that are prohibited. Corporal punishments are prescribed for some transgressions, and this is the justice and judgement of Allah. As sister Sandra pointed out, these punishments are not something new, the same punishments were prescribed when the Law of Allah was given to Moses, peace be upon him.

It is true that the prophet, peace be upon him, did not enjoy carrying out the punishment of stoning. But it cannot be said that he opposed the punishment of stoning. He recognized that it was a prescribed punishment from Allah that he had a duty to carry out. The ayah from the Quran posted by brother Optomist was directed to Muhammad, salla aleyhi wa salaam, as well as to the rest of us.

Consider the following as well:
On the authority of ‘Ubaadah ibn As-Saamit the Prophet , said that anyone who commits a sin which deserves a corporal punishment and receives that punishment in the worldly life, it will be an expiation for such a sin. Anyone who commits a sin and Allaah The Almighty does not expose him, his affair is up to Allaah The Almighty; He either punishes or forgives him. Al-Qaadhi ‘Iyaadh from the Maaliki School of jurisprudence, mentioned that the majority of scholars take this Hadeeth as evidence that the corporal punishment prescribed for sins expiates when applied to the sinner.

Some examples of cases when the prophet had to carry out the punishment of stoning include the following:

*Hussain (rha) says The Prophet(SWS) was approached by a woman who committed adultery and became pregnant. She said "punish me" and so after she delivered the child, the Prophet(SWS) tied her clothes and enacted the punishment. Upon being asked the Prophet (SWS) said "She has repented so strongly that if it were distributed amongst seventy people of Madinah, it would accommodate them(that is, her repentance would be good enough for all of them.) (11)

Malik came to the Prophet(SWS) and said "I have committed adultery" The
Prophet(SWS) eventually ordered a ditch to be dug for him in which the man
stood and was stoned to death. The Prophet(SWS) said "He has repented with such a repentance that if it were to be distributed amongst a whole nation, it would be enough for them." (11)

Volume 8, Book 82, Number 813:
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
When Ma'iz bin Malik came to the Prophet (in order to confess), the Prophet said to him, "Probably you have only kissed (the lady), or winked, or looked at her?" He said, "No, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said, using no euphemism, "Did you have sexual intercourse with her?" The narrator added: At that, (i.e. after his confession) the Prophet ordered that he be stoned (to death).

Volume 8, Book 82, Number 826:
Narrated Abu Huraira and Zaid bin Khalid:
Two men had a dispute in the presence of Allah's Apostle. One of them said, "Judge us according to Allah's Laws." The other who was more wise said, "Yes, Allah's Apostle, judge us according to Allah's Laws and allow me to speak (first)" The Prophet said to him, 'Speak " He said, "My son was a laborer for this man, and he committed illegal sexual intercourse with his wife, and the people told me that my son should be stoned to death, but I have given one-hundred sheep and a slave girl as a ransom (expiation) for my son's sin. Then I asked the religious learned people (about It), and they told me that my son should he flogged one-hundred stripes and should be exiled for one year, and only the wife of this man should be stoned to death " Allah's Apostle said, "By Him in Whose Hand my soul is, I will judge you according to Allah's Laws: O man, as for your sheep and slave girl, they are to be returned to you." Then the Prophet had the man's son flogged one hundred stripes and exiled for one year, and ordered Unais Al-Aslami to go to the wife of the other man, and if she confessed, stone her to death. She confessed and was stoned to death.

Volume 8, Book 82, Number 805:
Narrated Jabir bin Abdullah Al-Ansari:
A man from the tribe of Bani Aslam came to Allah's Apostle and Informed him that he had committed illegal sexual intercourse and bore witness four times against himself. Allah's Apostle ordered him to be stoned to death as he was a married Person.

Volume 8, Book 82, Number 809:
Narrated Ibn 'Umar:
A Jew and a Jewess were brought to Allah's Apostle on a charge of committing an illegal sexual intercourse. The Prophet asked them. "What is the legal punishment (for this sin) in your Book (Torah)?" They replied, "Our priests have innovated the punishment of blackening the faces with charcoal and Tajbiya." 'Abdullah bin Salam said, "O Allah's Apostle, tell them to bring the Torah." The Torah was brought, and then one of the Jews put his hand over the Divine Verse of the Rajam (stoning to death) and started reading what preceded and what followed it. On that, Ibn Salam said to the Jew, "Lift up your hand." Behold! The Divine Verse of the Rajam was under his hand. So Allah's Apostle ordered that the two (sinners) be stoned to death, and so they were stoned. Ibn 'Umar added: So both of them were stoned at the Balat and I saw the Jew sheltering the Jewess.

The prophet did not enforce the punishment of stoning unless the person willingly confessed to having committed the act. As sister Amirah mentioned previously, it is necessary that there are 4 witnesses, or that the person confesses themselves. It is an atrocious thing to bring a false charge against someone who is innocent of committing adultery or zina, and he warned against this as well:

Volume 8, Book 82, Number 840:
Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." They (the people!) asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they?" He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah; to practice sorcery; to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law); to eat up usury (Riba), to eat up the property of an orphan; to give one's back to the enemy and freeing from the battle-field at the time of fighting and to accuse chaste women who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers."

Slandering (i.e. accusing others of Zina): Allaah Says (what means): {And those who accuse chaste women and then do not produce four witnesses — lash them with eighty lashes and do not accept from them testimony ever after.}[Quran 24:4].

Unfortunately I do think there are examples in the world today when the punishment for adultery is not being carried out according to the Sunnah and Quran, and this troubles me. I sometimes hear of an adultress being stoned to death, but not the male companion adulterer. Or that a person is stoned to death without a confession or without 4 witnesses. I have even heard that there have been women who were raped and were then stoned to death, which I hope is not true. This should never happen, a woman who is raped is a victim and is protected and consoled by Islam, and the rapist alone is the one to endure the punishment. And sometimes it appears as though the people carrying out the punishment actually are enjoying participating, and that is troubling as well. We need to speak out against these types of examples.

However, I absolutely accept and agree that stoning is an appropriate recompense for adultery and agree that it should be carried out according to Quran and Sunnah. It is a horrible act that is truly deserving of a terrible punishment. It is fortunate for us that we worship such a merciful God, who would spare a transgressor hell and promise heaven instead by the course of enduring a just punishment that in fact purifies from the sin completely.

May Allah bestow his Forgiveness and Mercy on us and deliver us from the punishment of Hell fire

:wasalam:

Mairo

Maryama
And also here is a related fatwa from IslamQ&A

It is not permissible to replace stoning of an adulterer with killing by the sword or by shooting Is it permissible to execute a married adulterer by some method other than stoning, such as killing him with a sword or by shooting him?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is essential to stone the married adulterer until he dies, following the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as it is proven that he said that, did it and enjoined it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned Maa’iz, the Juhani woman, the Ghaamidi woman, and the two Jews. All of that is proven in saheeh ahaadeeth narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The scholars among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), the Taabi’een and those who came after them are also unanimously agreed on that. No one differed from them apart from those to whose views no attention is to be paid. Al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated in their Saheehs from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with the truth and revealed to him the Book, and one of the things that Allaah revealed was the verse of stoning. We have read it and understood it. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stoned (adulterers) and we stoned (them) after him, but I fear that there may come a time when some people say: ‘By Allaah, we do not find the verse of stoning in the Book of Allaah.’ So they will go astray by forsaking an obligation that Allaah has revealed. According to the Book of Allaah, stoning is deserved by the one who commits zina, if he is married, men and women alike, if proof is established or the woman becomes pregnant or they confess…”

Based on this, it is not permissible to replace stoning with killing by the sword or shooting, because stoning is a more severe punishment and a more effective deterrent to the sin of zina, which is the most grave sin after shirk and killing a soul whom Allaah has forbidden us to kill. The hadd punishment of stoning for a married person who commits zina is one of the matters that is determined by the Qur’aan and Sunnah and there is no room for ijtihaad or personal opinion. If killing by the sword or shooting were permissible in the case of the married adulterer then the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have done that and would have explained it to his ummah, and his companions after him would have done that too.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 22/48-49.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/14312/stoning

Mairo

Maryama
And also from IslamOnline.com:

Title
Why Are Fornicators Punished?

Question
As-salamu `alaykum.

I am a medical student. I have a question: Every sin or bad deed has a punishment prescribed in Islam. For instance, if a married person committed zina (illegitimate sexual intercourse) his punishment is sangsar (stoning), right?

My question is, is this punishment suitable for today’s life? I mean how can we give punishment for zina without an Islamic government in power? Is there any tawbah (repentance) permissible for a person guilty of zina?

I hope you understand my question.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Answer

Professor Shahul Hameed says:

Salam, Faiz

Thank you for your question.

The Qur’an most certainly does prescribe corporal punishments for certain serious social crimes. The Shari`ah punishment for a married person for zina is sangsar (Urdu word for stoning).

Punishment in Islam has a social purpose in that it should dissuade others from committing the same crime. The nature of the punishment depends on the seriousness of the crime in question. Many people nowadays, especially Westerners, may be opposed to the Islamic punishment for zina, not necessarily because they are opposed to the idea of punishing anyone who violates the social norms of sex or family life, but because they see it as disproportionate or too harsh a punishment for the crime.

The basic problem here is the different standards by which the severity of the crime is measured. Islam views zina as a very serious crime, because it undermines the very foundation of the family system upon which the whole superstructure of the society stands. Extra-marital sex is the main cause of the breakdown of the family. The collapse of the family tells upon the nurture and care of the young. The physical and moral health of the coming generation depends on the kind of care they get from their parents and parents can look after their children properly only within the framework of the family.

Thus we can see that illicit sexual relationships undermine the family and bring about the breakdown of the system. Family breakdown imperils the physical and mental health of the future generation; which in turn leads to a vicious circle of decadence, dissipation, and dissolution. Therefore, it is imperative that all measures must be taken to protect the family. That is why Islam lays great stress on drastic steps to protect the family by imposing severe punishments on all activities that tend to subvert the foundation of the institution of the family.

For this reason, Islam’s provisions of the Shari`ah are not intended “to plunge the society into darkness,” but to protect it by all means. A number of Western writers say that ‘unless Islam is prepared to relax its legal provisions of the Shari`ah, there can and will be no accommodation, only a continuation of Western rejection of Islam.’

The Western point of view of man-woman relationships is in keeping with its view of a permissive society, a society that accepts extramarital and illicit relationships as normal. The predatory capitalism prevalent in the West has unleashed a driving passion among the people for more money, more comforts, and more pleasure, particularly carnal pleasure. Hence, the phenomenal growth in the West of the *!*!*!*! businesses, partying, carnivals, and sex tourism. The most important casualty of this situation is the family. The result is a profusion of single parents, gay and lesbian couples, latch-key children, and what not. In spite of it all, they call the Islamic Shari`ah provisions “harsh” or even “primitive.” I hope you see the difference in the world views.

Now these are the essential conditions for the implementation of the Shari`ah punishment for zina:

First, only a proper Islamic government, legitimately running its affairs on the principles of Shari`ah, has the right to implement the Shari`ah punishments. There is no overstating the fact that Islamic punishments are only a part of a vastly larger integrated whole. They cannot be implemented in isolation. The need to implement the Shari`ah should arise from the taqwa (piety) of a people or their sincere and profound desire to avoid what displeases Allah and accept what pleases Him.

Second, the Islamic government should establish justice as its core value in all its affairs so that the social and cultural environment of the country should be congenial for a moral life for all its people. The government should see that there is no enticement drawing people to do immoral things. In other words, there must be an atmosphere that makes doing good easy and doing bad difficult.

It is only after a minimum of the above two conditions have been fulfilled that a government is entitled to implement the Shari`ah punishments in a country.

Any case that comes before the court for judgment must be investigated thoroughly and proper evidence must be brought before the court to satisfy all the conditions of Shari`ah. Only then does a Shari`ah court gain the authority to judge a case according to its provisions.

You have also asked the question, “Is there any tawbah (repentance) permissible for a person guilty of zina?”

No doubt, a person guilty of zina, or any other crime or sin has the right to repent and seek Allah’s forgiveness. Of course, it is Allah’s privilege to forgive that person or not. But for obvious reasons, an open expression of repentance need not be taken by the court as an expiation for a crime or an excuse to annul the due punishment.

And Allah knows best.

Sister Dalia Salaheldin, Editor of Ask About Islam, adds:

Salam, brother Faiz.

I need to highlight a point here. The proof of such a crime that would take the person to court and physical punishment isn’t actually an easy proof to fulfill. This is a detailed Shari`ah issue that you may study more through our Shari`ah Corner. Yet I can tell you the minimum, which is, for example, that you cannot simply accuse a couple of such a crime and expect the court to fulfill the punishment. Proof that will be accepted by the court for such crime is very much detailed and includes many conditions among which is —for example— the existence of at least four witnesses who have to have visually seen the crime taking place. Of course, for this to happen in front of witnesses is a rare exception!

Why do you think such conditions for the proof of such crimes exists? It is simply because our Creator’s goal is not to punish His weak servants. The punishment is there for the very same reasons that Professor Hameed has stated, but the fulfillment of the punishment doesn’t always take place due to the difficulties of proving the crime. God is Merciful and He knows how weak His creation is. He knows that people sin sometimes out of weakness and not because they want to defy God by their sins and by breaking His rules.

This is by no means a call to simplify the rudeness and vulgarity of the act. It is an act that contradicts the peaceful submission of a Muslim to his or her Creator. It is an act that corrupts the society. It is an act that breaks the family ties and it is an act that shatters children and brings them to a homeless and nameless situation. Yet, we can never tell sinners not to repent, that they will not be accepted or forgiven except if they get their worldly physical punishment!

On the contrary, we should tell sinners that if they do not get this physical punishment in this world due to the fact that Shari`ah is not applied or for other reasons, they should not go around exposing their sinful souls. They should simply repent sincerely in silence. They should go back to God, asking for forgiveness and having hope in His mercy. As long as they are sincere, they should count on His mercy and not think that they won’t be forgiven because they were not physically punished.

Many times, Allah has mentioned in the Qur’an that He *{forgives for whom He wills}*. So, if a person regrets and repents seriously and sincerely, it is for God to decide whether this person is to be forgiven or not. He is the Only One Who knows if this sinner is honest and sincere in his or her repentance or not.

Mercy is the essence of Shari`ah, not punishments and penalties. God has issued such punishments out of His mercy towards society, families, and children. The aim of such laws is not to torture people, but to alert people to the results of such act.

During the time of Prophet Muhammad, who is the mercy sent to all creation, there was a woman who committed such crime. She was not discovered by others, thus she could have hidden her crime. But she went to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and confessed to him, asking for her physical punishment. She was already pregnant.

The Prophet did not order her punishment immediately, he told her to wait until she gave birth. Then, after she gave birth, she came back to the Prophet asking for her punishment. Again, the Prophet did not order her punishment, he told her to wait until she finished breastfeeding her child. Throughout this long period, which probably took around three years, the woman could have changed her mind and never come back. Definitely, the Last Messenger knew that, yet he never seized the chance to punish her.

After she finished breastfeeding her child, she came back to the Prophet asking again for her punishment. The Last Messenger had no alternative but to permit the fulfillment of the punishment. When she died, the Prophet acknowledged that the repentance within her heart was worth that of many other hearts. This story is not to tell you that repentance wouldn’t have worked without punishment, but it is to show you that punishment was not the target of the Last Prophet, who was sent to implement Shari`ah in this life.

The Sunnah does not only advise sinners to repent and ask for God’s forgiveness, it also directs Muslims to have hope in God’s mercy and not to expose themselves. When a person weakens and sins, he or she shouldn’t go around and confess to people. On the contrary, the Sunnah advises us to avoid disgrace and not to expose ourselves.

Thus, if the person is not discovered or taken to court, he or she has no other alternative but to repent sincerely. The process of confession in Islam does not take place between a creation and another creation. It only takes place between a creation and the Creator. It is then for the Creator to decide what to do with His poor, helpless, repenting servant.

I hope my addition is helpful. In case you have any more inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you and please keep in touch.

Salam.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...kAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE&cid=1123996016744

zulfikar

Why we should discuss stoning here? I think its a lot more tolerance sharia give to the new people who convert islam.

a_stranger

Islam is a mercy

:salam2:for all

Islam was revealed to cure hearts and make them close to Allah swt their creator , and was revealed to show us the way to Janna(Paradis) which is a pure place for pure people , Islam was revealed to people to rise and help them in every way to be in a high standered of morality .......Such punshiment (stoning) which is done under a very high restrictions (four witnesses which is approximaitly impossible ) .after..raising people and teaching them all noble values , after washing souls with heavenly cure , after putting everything in its correct place I say such punshment is a kind of heavey barrier to stop people from such acts. It is an act of mercy since stoning washs the sins and open the doors of Paradise for the one who was stoned May Allah swt help us all to walk on his straight path.:astag:

NGL11

Stoning

I do agree that Stoning is part of the Sunnah but we can not forget that Islam is a religion that encourages progression. As times have changed we must regard stoning rather as an outdated that even though may have benefits is certainly what we regard now as too harsh a punishment. However I understand the reasons it was used for which is to prevent people from committing such acts in the first place and to stop the spread of immorality. Ijtihad could be a tool used to place more appropiate punishments in place that are in accordance with our time but I do not know what puishments could replace those we have now.

a_stranger

:salam2: for all
I think that human is a human through times and our creator knows what is best for humanity......Now we see coruption in earth because of opening the doors for lusts and vain desires .....i think Islam as a whole (morals, worship, creed, tazkia( purifying souls) , ....and punishments (which is done under a very strict conditions and in a very little area when it cannot be avoided.....etc. can solve the problem and built a strong stable families and societies. And Allah knows best.:astag:

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

How many of YOU all would willingly participate in stoning a person to death? I mean, being one of the people actually throwing the rocks and killing the person?

I would not, as I believe that by killing someone like this, it would be hurting my soul (how could I live with myself after actively participating in the death of another human being?).

Also, how long do you wait from the finding of the crime to the stoning to death? How long is the person given to seek absolution and repent? Aren't we supposed to forgive people for their shortcomings, since none of us are perfect; we all have flaws and shortcomings, some are just not as obvious as others.

Just some thoughts....

Idris16

^^ if its ok to stone someone according to islam and something thats encouraged, then its not good to say we shouldnt do that and so on.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
^^ if its ok to stone someone according to islam and something thats encouraged, then its not good to say we shouldnt do that and so on.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.

As long as you believe Allah to be your God and Muhammad SAW to be His Messenger, your opinion is IRRELEVANT.

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

I am not stating my opinion as to whether it SHOULD be done; I was asking, honestly, for people to stand up and say, "YES, I, personally, am willing to throw stones and kill a person." What my post said was that I, personally would not be able to do it. I would NOT be able to take another person's life on purpose. Do I think there are cases when the death penalty is justified - of course! I just know it must certainly take some sort of special person who has no problem purposefully killing someone and being able to live with that.

So, WOULD YOU be able to kill a person?

Lana

Mairo

Maryama
Assalam aliekum

I am not stating my opinion as to whether it SHOULD be done; I was asking, honestly, for people to stand up and say, "YES, I, personally, am willing to throw stones and kill a person." What my post said was that I, personally would not be able to do it. I would NOT be able to take another person's life on purpose. Do I think there are cases when the death penalty is justified - of course! I just know it must certainly take some sort of special person who has no problem purposefully killing someone and being able to live with that.

So, WOULD YOU be able to kill a person?

Lana

Wa aleikum salaam sister Lana, it is so nice to have you back.

I like your question, it does relate to what I had posted earlier, commenting that it is very troubling to see people who are carrying out the punishment of stoning and appear to be enthusiastic about it. But in some way, because adultery is an act that brings shame upon a whole extended family group and community, I think the stoning of the adulterer is meant to be a purging activity for everyone touched by the act, not just the adulterers.

Personally, I understand the examples of those individuals who voluntarily turned themselves over to be punished by the law of Allah. I think some people have forgotten that the punishment of the hereafter is so much more severe. If I ever committed the act of adultery I know it would torment me and I would not have any idea how to continue living with myself, I would not see another choice but to confess and face the punishment here on earth.

But this is just for myself, in no way am I trying to suggest that this is the only correct choice to make in this situation, or suggesting that is what another person in this situation should do. If the act has not been exposed by Allah (4 reliable witnesses who testify), it is totally a personal choice whether to confess or keep the act secret and hope to find forgiveness instead of punishment with Allah one day. I think in either case what is of utmost importance and can best earn the mercy of the Lord is the act of sincere repentance.

[6.151] Say: Come I will recite what your Lord has forbidden to you-- (remember) that you do not associate anything with Him and show kindness to your parents, and do not slay your children for (fear of) poverty-- We provide for you and for them-- and do not draw nigh to indecencies, those of them which are apparent and those which are concealed, and do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except for the requirements of justice; this He has enjoined you with that you may understand.

You said you do agree that corporal punishment is valid in some cases. If someone is guilty of murder that is one example. And I'm sure you do agree that adultery is another example. We are instructed by Allah how to carry out the punishment, it is not a man-made ordinance.

I believe your assessment that it takes a special kind of individual who can bear the responsibility of carrying out the Justice of Allah is correct. I hope that does not mean you are condemning or looking down upon those who have taken the commands of Allah's justice seriously and had the courage to carry them out.

I do not really have that much knowledge about examples of the Muslims who have filled these types of roles for the Ummah. But perhaps someone else does and can share with the rest of us so we can become more knowledgable on the subject.

Wasalaam

zulfikar

I saw there are no cutting neck anymore in Iran for punishment of the death penalty. I think cutting neck is the most scarying punishment for death penalty. stoning just nothing if we compare it with cutting neck punishment.