Tell us about your Salât in School/Job

Idris16

as-Salâm `Alaykum Warahmatullâh Wabarakâtuh
I don't know if a similar thread has been made. Sorry if it has.

You know everytime we have school, doesn't it happen that you think about how you will pray Salât when you have classes and how you will do Wudû´? Alhamdulillâh for me it goes very good:) But we have to remember it doesn't go good for others. So tell us, how do you balance between Salât and school/job?

I am thinking about next year how will it go for me? My teacher spoke to me today and asked me how it will go for me after the summer when we have ''Work experience'' and I have to leave for Salât. I said it will be fine.

I believe it's much easier to be a Muslim in the UK! I made this thread because I want to see your old stories and how you tackled these things. And this thread can be an inspiration for others.

Allâh `azza wa-jal is testing us. This dunya is a test and a prison for the believers and paradise for the disbelievers.

wa `Alaykum al-Salâm Warahmatullâh
:salah:

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
brother,this thread may be interenting.I live in Italy,my husband is praticant muslim,but he sadly can't pray in the place of work,becuase there is no chance.I suppose that in general in a State like Italy is pretty impossible to both work and pray on time.there isn't a mosque into which pray,the problem of nowdays is,by myself,that society talks about the loss of integration between muslims and not muslims,but none moves a finger to give a help.on one hand there are muslims who ask to the authority to build a place where they can sit together;on the othe hand there are those authorities who say that there is no place,but in the same time they say that muslims may form groups to talk about terroristic matters.I wrote an example that happens in my family,but it's almost the same thing almost everywhere.I wonder who could be that "work-giver" who can allow to a muslim employee to stop his activity for the prayer:girl3:

Idris16

brother,this thread may be interenting.I live in Italy,my husband is praticant muslim,but he sadly can't pray in the place of work,becuase there is no chance.I suppose that in general in a State like Italy is pretty impossible to both work and pray on time.there isn't a mosque into which pray,the problem of nowdays is,by myself,that society talks about the loss of integration between muslims and not muslims,but none moves a finger to give a help.on one hand there are muslims who ask to the authority to build a place where they can sit together;on the othe hand there are those authorities who say that there is no place,but in the same time they say that muslims may form groups to talk about terroristic matters.I wrote an example that happens in my family,but it's almost the same thing almost everywhere.I wonder who could be that "work-giver" who can allow to a muslim employee to stop his activity for the prayer:girl3:
Many Italians are racists. Move to Morocco. If not UK sounds good. But your husband should still pray... who knows their hearts may soften and become Muslims.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I know "smell" the racism from very far.it's almost 2 months 1/2 I am in Morocco,but I must leave and move to Italy...I really don't know how to face that world of kafara billah!but we must adeguate until we achieve our goal,In sh Allah!so,"Assbiru,Assbiru,in Allah ma'a as sabirin!":tti_sister:

auroran

Alhamdulillaah, during lunch, I run home from school. I eat my lunch and pray, and then if I have time, use the computer (sometimes I go on TTI) and then head back to school. I live very close to school. Dhuhr is still there to pray until 5:18 alhamdulillaah. But the problem is next year.

The high school I am going to next year is very far from home. According to Google, it will take about 40 minutes for me to walk from the school to home. I can still pray after I come after school but the time available to pray Dhuhr will go back to 2:00. My mom said to be smart and find a space at school...May Allaah bring ease to us. Ameen.

My sister Hayat, I used to be like your husband, I thought I couldn't pray Dhuhr, but I realized it is a major sin. In Saudi everyone stops their activities for prayers masha Allaah.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

My sister Hayat, I used to be like your husband, I thought I couldn't pray Dhuhr, but I realized it is a major sin. In Saudi everyone stops their activities for prayers masha Allaah.

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah.

Greatest sin after shirk actually...

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I live in America. I am not in school right now, but I have a job at a store. Alhamdulilah my manager is very nice. I only have to do 1 prayer at work, sometimes 2. I schedule my break around whatever prayer(s) I have that day.

I run to go Wudu, then I do salaat in the stock room. I have heard its worse for some people, but I'm lucky.

Actually I remember my very first job at 15 years old, our manager was Egyptian Muslim (well kind of Muslim :S ) He would do wudu and salaat in his managers office. And once the door was cracked open, and my mom (co-manager at the same place) opened the door hard and smacked him in the head :(

Lets see what happens when i enroll in school in August insha Allah xD

aisha16

I live in the states as well..it's pretty lenient here and flexible for Muslims who's like to
Pray at school or work. I'm not working currently but I am a college student. Before the semester ended my sister and other Muslim sisters would make wudu if we already hadn't had wudu and pray in an isolated part of campus. Very calming and peaceful.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
:wasalam:

A good thread indeed...

I have seen many people who skip the salah for fo r some small small worldly issues May Allah Azzawajal guide them and us Aameen

By the way, in experience...its lil funny and interesting..

I usually Alahmdulillah pray no matter where I am and no matter how many people would laugh at me..

When I was schooling, and during I was attending tutorial classes, I used to knock the door of a Muslim lady's apartment and borrow her prayer mat and prayer room for few minutes for my Salaah :) , of course that was always along with my friends :)

and, now that during the lectures, I make an excuse from the lecturer and say that I wanna pray and come out and then make Salaah , but this happens if she is proceeding with the class for a long time after the Azaan...
And the funniest part is that, when my non Muslim friend asked me, why do i try to take a shower before the prayer... lollzzz may be she saw my hair wet ahem ahem :lol: :biggrin:

But by the way, as u said u must know how to create a balanced platform during such a circumstance when it comes to the salaah VS studies / Job in a non Muslim atmosphere...

let me point out the things..

01. We must understand and trust on Islam and we should realize that islam is the best forever

02. Our pride should sound nothing to us when we compare it with the deen

03. We must be ready to face any humiliations for the sake of Allah if it is coming towards us 'coz we r practicing Islam..

04. We should be proud of making Salaah no matter who makes jokes out of us

05. When we make Salah in public, there are chances , where we would be humiliated among the crowd, BUT we must have the inner power to tun the tables over them AND MAKE IT AS A OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO MAKE DA'WAH TO THEM

06. If some thing is stopping us from meeting our Rabb (Salaah) we should leave that job, no matter even if we are left with nothing :)

Just wrote what I feel :)

hoping to read more from other members too Insha Allah :)

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
sister fourteen,if my husband stops his work just to pray salat dhoor,he rirsks to lose his job.Allah is the all Forgiver and He knows what's in the heart of a muslim.Italt is not that "paradise" in which many immigrants believe.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I have never had a problem praying in school , in the United Kingdom. Alhamdulillah. In fact, often the teachers were encouraging.

I was perhaps the only Muslim in primary school. So at age 5, I remember Miss Seymore making me read Arabic and then English, and asking how I could manage reading Right to Left and then Left to Right. - To be honest, I had not noticed! lol I used to tell them about Islam at such an age. When I was around 9 I was going to another school where again, out of around 500 children I was one of the only Muslims. - For around 3 weeks, I was given a time to teach about Islam and the Muslim way of life in the class. I thought that was awesome. Also, I had each Friday Afternoon off for Jumah. I was able to go to the Masjid, and did not need to return. - This was after my parents presented a letter, where they showed that by law, they had to accomodate my time for religious observations. I understand that having half a friday off is something pretty unique, and most people do not have such opportunities. But, hey the school was cool and my teacher drove a red porsche. lol

Secondary school was easier, there were more Muslims. But, in the first year (age 11), I remember the sixth formers (Who were around 18) were mostly from the Hizb Tahrir group. - Back then, Hizb Tahrir were different from today. - They used to be clean-shaven, they had no proper Islamic grounding, and major problems in Aqeedah too following Matrudi beliefs where they do not believe in punishment of the grave or matters of the unseen.. and they also did not believe in certain types of Hadith. - They were really political, and were spreading their leaflets and newsletters... calling what were kids to the wrong way. Putting hatred into them. I remember sitting in the Juma khutbah (which we had in the drama studio, lol) and thinking this is a khutbah, no ayah, no hadith, nothing about Islam, just pure politics... So, I would take all the leaflets and rip them up, put them in the bin. - Which led to some confrontations. - Would have been fine, except I was 11 and they were around 18 years old. Alhamdulillah, we debated, and by the following year I was incharge of the Islamic society.

That was a great time in fact, it was all pre-9/11.. The only major thing from my childhood was perhaps the Iraq war in the 1990s... and the Iranian stuff to do with Salman Rushdie..... the war in Bosnia.. Apart from that, there wasnt much Islamophobia. Although, people did not know much about Islam. It was very much something "exotic" and different. - A lot of Muslims I knew, including myself would wear scarfs and even military style clothing, like camoflaged jackets and trousers (for fashion and not because they were militant) openly in the UK.

I remember I passed my driving test the first time I took it.. The instructor was not Muslim. He was Christian but not religious. As often goes, people want to break the ice, so he asked me what I did with my time. Obviously, I started talking about how on Fridays I go to the masjid and how I like studying Islam and helping people to learn more about it. - I did not think twice that this man would be some racist zealot who would fail me on my test because I was a religious Muslim. - I know that some people may be weary and not openly talk about Islam. I have never been like that, even in front of "important" people such as business men, or members of royal families that I have met. Anyhow, so I am doing the driving test, but we just were talking about Islam and Christianity whilst making turns or stopping with the occassional direction given by the instructor. :D At the end of the test, he went over my test and pointed out that I did not look at my mirrors enough.. (oops!) . He said that on a bad day other driving instructors or even himself might have failed me, but that he had never spoken to someone as he did on this day (meaning the subjects talked about) and he felt confident he could pass me and that I will go and learn from the problems he had outlined.

Things did not always go well though. I remember when I was 6, the teacher Mrs Ashfield used to get all the other kids in the class to make fun of me. She encouraged them to bully me. I remember one time, whilst i was sitting on my little chair, at my little desk, she leant over.. her nose almost touching mine.. her eyes glaring with hate.. and she screamed telling me that I would not pass any of my exams, that I would not pass my GCSEs and would never go to university. - It was horrible, I didnt understand why she did that. At that time, all I thought was that I must have been stupid. -- Now, I look back, I realise she was most probably a racist and was upset at the fact I was an intelligent kid. Nevertheless, it made me want to go to a different school..

There was also an incident with a Jewish teacher, who in front of the class pulled my hair... for no reason except I was speaking to someone behind me. It hurt a lot - I complained to another teacher, who said it was nothing, because my hair did not come out..

I guess with 9/11 there has been a lot of negative coverage about Islam, but also this has given rise to more information. -

I have not had problem at university or at work. Islam always comes first. If somoene does not like it, then tough.

Its important to be confident and proud of being a Muslim. - Go to the headmaster (principal) of your school, tell them you have rights, such as to pray. Say you will be reasonable and it will only take up a few minutes. Better is to find some other Muslims, make a letter or petition and go together. -

If you are applying for a job, make sure your employer knows that you might need a few minutes off work. Maybe even you need a lunch break at a different time than other people to accomodate the time for Zohr or Asr. You can make up for that missed work time. -

Find an office or room that is free,... work hard to get yourself accomodated into the work environment. -

And remember, if people are being highly unreasonable by not accomodating you because you are a Muslim, because you wear the hijab or have a beard, or ridiculing, pressurising, or even harassing you, then they may well be breaking the law. - If your boss does not give you a raise or promotion, whilst others with lesser qualifications or experience do, then this also may well be unfair discimination. -- Morale of the story? Find out and know your rights!

UmmIsaiah

Assalamu alaikum

Well I also live in the us and work in a major department stor. Alhamdulillah I work at night so that I dont miss any prayers and I am able to adjust my schedual so that I am off by fajr and I never have to go in until after I have made isha. There is a room that I suppose I could make it in should I need to and my superevisor is cool enough that if I needed to take my brake at a certain time she would have no problem with it but I figure I get enough dirty looks and complaints about the things I do I dont need to give them anything else to fuss over.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
- If your boss does not give you a raise or promotion, whilst others with lesser qualifications or experience do, then this also may well be unfair discimination. -- Morale of the story? Find out and know your rights!
what you wrote is true,I'll refer it to the interested person.thanks for the advice!

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

I am going to start a new job,InshaAllah,in a couple of months. Except for fazr and Ishaa prayers I will be packed with work. I am now scratching my head after reading this post.

InshaAllah,wish to make Hijrah to Egypt/Jordan for sake of Allah (SWT).

Regards.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Whoaaa we got Mabsoots life story here :) Just kidding of course :)

Mabsoot is very correct, even though many Americans hate Muslims WE ARE PROTECTED BY LAW against discrimination. Know your rights in America when it comes to praying, wearing hijab and having a beard. Know your rights when it comes to fair treatment in the work place and a work place free from harassment.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
as-Salâm `Alaykum Warahmatullâh Wabarakâtuh
I don't know if a similar thread has been made. Sorry if it has.

You know everytime we have school, doesn't it happen that you think about how you will pray Salât when you have classes and how you will do Wudû´? Alhamdulillâh for me it goes very good:) But we have to remember it doesn't go good for others. So tell us, how do you balance between Salât and school/job?

I am thinking about next year how will it go for me? My teacher spoke to me today and asked me how it will go for me after the summer when we have ''Work experience'' and I have to leave for Salât. I said it will be fine.

I believe it's much easier to be a Muslim in the UK! I made this thread because I want to see your old stories and how you tackled these things. And this thread can be an inspiration for others.

Allâh `azza wa-jal is testing us. This dunya is a test and a prison for the believers and paradise for the disbelievers.

wa `Alaykum al-Salâm Warahmatullâh
:salah:

Oh man, it's really difficult to find places where I go to school. I have to pray under the stairs, or if I'm lucky empty classrooms which someone can come in sometimes. Just today, my professor made a complaint against me saying I leave the class all the time, and I only left for maghrib. But I guess we're having all these difficulties because we don't really speak up or arrange places for ourselves. It can be done especially when there are a large number of Muslims at the school or workplace. InshaAllah I plan on speaking to my professor to tell her that i have to pray so she doesn't make another fuss about me leaving the classroom all the time.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

May Allah reword you dear brother for bringing up this question as we can read answers and advices of other brothers and sisters who are also finding difficult to pray salah in public places, like school, University, work.

Alhmadulillah I have find it very usefull, because I find very difficult to pray salah in public places as I feel uncomfortable and shy that someone may judge me, or call me as extemist SubhanAllah. :shymuslima1:. But Alhamdulillah after reading the advices and experinces of other Muslim brothers and sisters, I feel more courage and more faith in Allah subhan wa teala to be enough strong to not miss any salah prayer with the help of Allah as it is big sin.May Allah help us in Islaam and make us not afraid of noone except Allah Only.

"And seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer) and truly it is extremely heavy and hard except for Al-Khashi'un [i.e. the true believers in Allah - those who obey Allah with full submission, fear much from His Punishment, and believe in His Promise (Paradise, etc.) and in His Warnings (Hell, etc.)" ( Surah al Baqarah, ayah 45)

I feel as well that praying salah in some public places may be good way of dawah to non Muslims but as well good way of remainder to Muslims.And Allah knows the best.

May Allah guide us all the the right path.