Why muslim girls are married against their wishes?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

Now and then, i hear in many Islamic forums that sisters for forced in marriage. But in Islam, girl's permission in necessary for marriage.

Even muslims who pray 5 times and knows do's and don'ts of Islam, fall into this.

Many parents even take care of their daugther's little wishes like buying her strawberry ice-cream or barbie doll. but when come to marriage issue, i wonder where their love go?

Also strange is the attitude of some mothers who out of great love for their daughter allow her to go out without modest clothes and proper hijab, but turn deaf ear to her pleas against the marriage.

Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The woman, either a widow or a virgin, cannot be married without her permission”. He was asked, “O prophet! And what’s her permission?” He replied, “Her silence”. (Bukhari and Muslim).

PS: i know that parents choice is not always wrong and children's choice is not always right. And also not all daughters are forced.

safiya58

:salam2:

because parents are stubborn traditonalists and the daughters are weak. may because of their young age.

I know we have to obey our parents. but parents don´t have the right to make halal what Allah declared as haram or to make haram what Allah declared as halal. one have to decide wether culture or deen! You can not follow both same time!

Allah give the right to us women to decide wether we want to accept the proposal of a brother or recect it. and that´s why if I don´t want to get marryied to a guy... I don´t want! the whole world can come together to force me to that... they can not handle me...! may they can harm me or kill me even but never ever I can be forced to do what i don´t wana do! I may sound a lil rude... but I can not understand the sisters... how can they marry someone they don´t want...? why they don´t fight for their rights..? just say no! I think they have to learn it, to assert themself inspite of the pressure on them

:wasalam:

umm hussain

It is quite sad indeed. I do not know how these parents can go to bed at night knowing what they have done to their daughters who look to them for protection.

I know a sister who is almost 30 years old and still not married because she would not marry from the family and she will be an outcast if she chooses someone to marry without parents approval. Actually she is kind of an outcast alreay because she refused to marry some relative. I think she is quite brave to refuse and now her next step is to find a suitable brother of her choice inshallah.

Below is an article I found interesting and educational.

In the Name of Allâh, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

Source: Fatwaa from “Al-Masaa’il ul-Maardeeniyyah
Translator: Aboo `Abdillaah Muhammad al-Jibaalee

May a father force his virgin daughter who attained puberty to marry? Two well-known opinions in this regard are reported from Ahmad:

1. That he may compel her. This is also the opinion of Maalik, ash-Shaafi`ee, and others.
2. That he may not. This is also the opinion of Aboo Haneefah and others, and is the correct one.

People have differed as tot he reason permitting the compulsion: whether it is virginity, the daughter being under-aged, or a combination of both. The closest opinion to the truth is her being under-aged, whereas no one can compel a grown-up virgin in marriage. Aboo Hurayrah, radhiallahu `anhu reported that the Prophet, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, said:

"A non-virgin woman may not be married without her command, and a virgin may not be married without her permission; and enough permission for her is to remain silent (because of her natural shyness)." [Al-Bukhaaree, Muslim, and others]

Thus the Prophet, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, prohibits forcing a virgin in marriage without her permission, whether it be her father or someone else. Furthermore, `Aa';ishah, radhiallahu `anhaa, said that she asked the Prophet, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, "In the case of a young girl whose parents marry her, should her permission be sought or not?" He replied, "Yes, she must give her permission." She then said, "But a virgin will be shy, O Allaah’s Messenger." He answered:

"Her silence is [considered as] her permission." [Al-Bukhaaree, Muslim, and others]

This applies to the father as well as others. Furthermore, Islaam does not give the father the right to use any of her wealth without her permission, how then could he be allowed to decide, without her permission, how her body (which is more important than her wealth) is to be used, specially when she disagrees to that and is mature to decide for herself?

Also, there is evidence and concensus in Islaam to restrict an underage person’s free control of his wealth or person. However, to make a virginity a reason for the restriction contradicts the Islaamic basis.

As for the difference between the non-virgin and virgin in the hadeeth of the Prophet, sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam, it is not a differentiation between compulsion and non-compulsion; the difference between the two cases is that (a) the former gives her instructions for the marriage whereas the latter gives permission, and that (b) the virgin’s silence counts as a permission. The reason for this is that a virgin would be shy to discuss the matter of marriage, so she is not proposed to directly; rather, her walee (guardian) is approached, he takes her permission, and then she gives him the permission not the command to marry her.

And as for a non-virgin, she would not have the shyness of virginity anymore; thus she can discuss the matter of her marriage, she can be proposed to, and she gives the command to her walee to perform the marriage, and he must obey her.

Thus the walee is command-executor in the case of the non-virgin, and is permission-seeker in the case of the virgin. This is what the Prophet's words indicate. As for compelling her to marry despite her loathing to do so, this would contradict the fundamentals and reason. Allaah ta`ala did not permit a walee to force her to sell or rent her property without her permission. Neither did He permit him to force her to eat or drink or wear that which she does not wish. How would He then oblige her to accompany and copulate with a person whose company she hates - at the time when Allaah ta`ala has sent between the two spouses love and mercy? If such company happens despite her hatred and repulsion, where is the love and mercy?

Courtesy Of: Islaam.com

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalamu Alaykum,

May be it is because the parents feel like they know what is best for their daughters. After all it is the parents responsibility to find a suitable Muslims male for their daughters.

umm hussain

Assalamu Alaykum,

May be it is because the parents feel like they know what is best for their daughters. After all it is the parents responsibility to find a suitable Muslims male for their daughters.

No matter what they think, they have no right to force it upon her. This sort of behaviour should not be given excuses it should be condemned like islam condemns it.

Asiya-sparkles

Assalamu Alaykum,

However, no parent knows the future, only Allah can know that, and what may seem suitable for a parent may be a disaster for the couple. (I've been hearing of harrowing situations where the wife has to resort to artificially inseminating herself with her husband's semen and give birth in the state of viginity. Or of the wife simply being treated as a servant in the marital home for the benfit of the parents, so how do the married couple benefit and become protected from the nafs in their marriage?)

Allah has decreed the correct method of seeking a spouse, also the criterion, also the way it must be treated...including the mahr minimum limit, the rights of the wife which are important. she is under the care and protection of her husband and is a trust from Allah, not a belonging. The husband may seek haram alternatives to actually fulfill his needs which actually makes a mockery of the marriage that has been enjoined upon us as a blessing.

May Allah make us amongst those who move away from this innovation. It is also important to realise that it is inovation, and as as such, never accepted from Allah.

aroojimran

Salaamalykomm

I M also against the practice of Forced marraige in Islam..But the fact remains that parenta r the Best well wishers od their children;they cannot wish or accept something which may harm their daughter,however in many cases,on account of Greed or social bindings they may do so...

Its very important for the parents to take consent from their daughter for her wedding.Moreover they must allow a meeting of the two(of course in the presence of an elder member)so that they explore the compatibility between each other..

Waalikum Assalam wrwb

kayleigh

I mostly blame the parents, but I also blame the girls a tiny bit for not saying no and thinking they have to do everything they're told. Then again, sometimes the alternative is death, physical abuse, being an outcast, etc. So I guess I don't actually blame them, I just with they were a little stronger sometimes.

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart

No matter what they think, they have no right to force it upon her. This sort of behaviour should not be given excuses it should be condemned like islam condemns it.

Assalamu Alaykum,

Not giving an excuse but writing it on how parents would do this. At the end of the day no one can truely force you to do anything you don't want.

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
However, no parent knows the future, only Allah can know that, and what may seem suitable for a parent may be a disaster for the couple. (I've been hearing of harrowing situations where the wife has to resort to artificially inseminating herself with her husband's semen and give birth in the state of viginity. Or of the wife simply being treated as a servant in the marital home for the benfit of the parents, so how do the married couple benefit and become protected from the nafs in their marriage?)

Allah has decreed the correct method of seeking a spouse, also the criterion, also the way it must be treated...including the mahr minimum limit, the rights of the wife which are important. she is under the care and protection of her husband and is a trust from Allah, not a belonging. The husband may seek haram alternatives to actually fulfill his needs which actually makes a mockery of the marriage that has been enjoined upon us as a blessing.

May Allah make us amongst those who move away from this innovation. It is also important to realise that it is inovation, and as as such, never accepted from Allah.

Assalamu Alaykum,

Of course Allah is the knower of all. We as Muslims should follow the way of the Quran and the Prophet may peace and blessing be upon him. Lets not jump to conclusion for who don't know what is in people's heart. No one can force anyone to do anything, but one should work toward getting the blessing of their parents. And remeber a sign of silence is a sign or acceptance.

Assalam alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh!

I think it is because parents think they are good or they can be the best than their children jo it could be true. And they want their daughters and the guys have it good in life. Then they can do something like that. And I do not think there are parents who want their children to smoke out in difficult marriages or not have good in their lives. Then their will to their children should marry someone who they think is good for them. But I believe that if you do not think that the person they have chosen to is not good or you feel like you have not love, then you can talk to them is good way for them to understand, rather than to fight or become angry at them. Maasalam

:salam2:,

Now and then, i hear in many Islamic forums that sisters for forced in marriage. But in Islam, girl's permission in necessary for marriage.

Even muslims who pray 5 times and knows do's and don'ts of Islam, fall into this.

Many parents even take care of their daugther's little wishes like buying her strawberry ice-cream or barbie doll. but when come to marriage issue, i wonder where their love go?

Also strange is the attitude of some mothers who out of great love for their daughter allow her to go out without modest clothes and proper hijab, but turn deaf ear to her pleas against the marriage.

Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The woman, either a widow or a virgin, cannot be married without her permission”. He was asked, “O prophet! And what’s her permission?” He replied, “Her silence”. (Bukhari and Muslim).

PS: i know that parents choice is not always wrong and children's choice is not always right. And also not all daughters are forced.

As.c!

Assalam alaykum warahmatullah wabarakatuh!

I think it is because parents think they are good or they can be the best than their children jo it could be true. And they want their daughters and the guys have it good in life. Then they can do something like that. And I do not think there are parents who want their children to smoke out in difficult marriages or not have good in their lives. Then their will to their children should marry someone who they think is good for them. But I believe that if you do not think that the person they have chosen to is not good or you feel like you have not love, then you can talk to them is good way for them to understand, rather than to fight or become angry at them. Maasalam:girl3:

rtbour

american muslima

I agree with this statement. In the Qur'an, it says a woman cannot be married to someone she refuses. If she refuses the man, then she should not be forced to marry him. End of story. No ifs, ands or buts. That's it. If the man is a great man and the woman is rejecting him for immature reasons, then maybe she isn't mature enough to be married. Otherwise, the man is bad or the man and woman just aren't compatible. You cant have a good marriage with someone you aren't compatible with. No one should force their daughters into bad marriages.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Forced marriage!!? *TUT, TUT* it's the culture many parents take before Islam!!!! but doesnt Islam come before ANYTHING else??? may Allah guide us all!ameeen
I personally BLAME the parents!!! yes! if the girl doesnt want marry this particular guy *you(the parent)think is goood* then you gotta understand her reasons!!! because if the parent thinks such n such brother is NICE well, that doesnt mean the girl thinks the same! I think parents should listen to their daughters and make her wishes come true! I understand that parents should SUGGEST a brother for their daughter BUT they should NOT force her into marrying HIM!!!!! if she doesnt wanto...that is IT! let it go and move on to the next page!!! simple as that! But today, in the minds of many ELDER Muslims culture is seen as the way to follow! and the deen is neglected many times!!!may Allah guide us all and bring us to the light of our beautiful deen.ameeen
As far as the sister goes, I think she should not be "silent" if she doesnt agree with the marriage! she should speak out!! (yea in a polite way) and inshaAllah, that will make a difference:D
may Allah guide us all ameeen!!!!

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
as'salam o alykum

I think the issue boils down to parents thinking they are always right, many times parents blame the media, and other factor how its influencing the girl's decision not realizing how biased their opinion really is.

The kids, to tell you the truth many kids just give up cuz of the guilt cuz i have seen alot of parents feel the kid feel so lowly of how they brought the kid up fed her and now she is disobeying her parents, and their main line " we are your parents we dont think bad for you" , yes but only Allah (swt) knows the future they dont, plus they fail to realise its cuz of their teachings, the kid has intellectual power too but the parents refuse to accept it.

I would be totally against it, i think a man and a women shud pick their own partner i have just seen so so so many arranged marriages where the parents or the older brothers decide the fate of the women , and then she leads a life of misery or discomfort in her new house with a guy who treats her like a house keeper or care taker more than a wife , im sorry thats just wat i have seen.

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
well, your right brothor...
but we also cannot help when our parents force us....
if we say no to them, they emotionally drag us into this problem...

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
I would be totally against it, i think a man and a women shud pick their own partner i have just seen so so so many arranged marriages where the parents or the older brothers decide the fate of the women , and then she leads a life of misery or discomfort in her new house with a guy who treats her like a house keeper or care taker more than a wife , im sorry thats just wat i have seen.

well, your right brothor...
but we also cannot help when our parents force us....
if we say no to them, they emotionally drag us into this problem...

both of u are right. maybe the girl can show the hadith to her parents that she cant be married against her will. maybe it can help her with the help of Allah.

rightpath_357

the couples permission is the most important in a marrige. ecpecailly a womans. women should never be forced to marry. they should decide what they want to do. and trying to prevent a girls marrige is also wrong, unless it is for a very good reason