Why wear Niqab in Saudi? Is it obligatory?

al-muslimah

Salaam Alaycom brothers and sisters.

I pray that you all are in good health and Imaan.

I've been to Saudi only when I was a kid as I haven't worn a scarf or even an abaya back then. This summer I might be going there. I hear here and there that Saudi is kinda a scary place for women. My friends keep on telling me that wearing a Niqab is very important there. I'm really scared. Like what happens if I didn't? Will it be something strange there for women not wearing a Niqab? I'm really not used to it and I'm afraid that I may be attacked by the Muslim police over there (Hayit alamir bilmaarouf walnahii aan almonkar).

I also hear that they hold sticks and run after people who are not properly dressed ex:not wearing niqab (Not what I think, but them). There was even one of my Islamic teachers back then in school who told us about her story when she visited a place in Saudi. That place had two separate entrances. The first entrance was labelled "for Niqabis" and the second entrance was for the "safirat" (sorry don't know the translation for that..but its like someone who is not quite dressed). Back then she didnt wear a Niqab so she was not alowed to enter the Niqab area asshe had to enter the other door. SubhanAllah I was really hurt with that story. It really doesn't go from my mind. Like seriously scary stuff.

People please who had the chance to go to Saudi recently please do share what you have. Is it easy for women to walk around in shops? do you find women without niqab? Do men stare at them? Oh BTW what about Abayas? I have an abaya that has a bit of pink on the sleeves, is that okay? I hear many and many things about Saudi that seriously freak me out. I'm so dragged with my thoughts that I get to hear from friends who have gone recently to Saudi.

Please help me out. I want to know how is it to go to Saudi as a teenage women? What can she face from difficulties? sorry many questions but really need to know the answers.

Thank you in advance.

Your worried sister,

ShyHijabi

Asalaam aleakum,

I have a friend who is Christian and visited Saudi (her mother works as a nurse there) and nikaab is not mandatory. The police of Vice and Virtue do not harass you if you are not wearing a nikaab, you just have to wear hijab and an abaya. She said the only thing she was afraid of was the drivers there, apparently there are rules but they are not really enforced so they drive like maniacs.

While there she said that although black is the dominant color over there it is not mandatory, she saw blue, rose, and red abayas which she said were stunning. However the women were still modest and wearing loose fitting clothing so it was all good.

Aisha hussain..

seeking knowledge
salam alaykum sister i have been in makkah and medinah during march.

there are many many different nationalities there, some do not even where abaya and i have also met some who rarelly where a scarf.

police will not catch neither any one will say you any thing but as a young teenager young men will tease you they may even follow you seriously sister if i was in niqab and a plain black abaya asthagfirullah so its better to safe and where a niqaab no one will catch over ther if you dont my cousins they go there with out niqaab its fine

its better to be on a safee site do not where a niqaab and try to be as modest as you can without a niqaab inshallah it will help you

may Allah swt bless you
jazakallah khair
wasalam :)

DanyalSAC

I recently watched a very good episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" that was filmed in Jeddah. His hostess was a sister in head scarf and abaya (she even wore this while scuba diving, alhamdulillah). Mr Bourdain said that his hostess was wearing "the bare minimum". She seemed to be just fine.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Salaamu 'alaykkum. I lived in Saudi arabia for over 10 years alhamdulillaah, and Niqaab is not obligatory to be worn. My mother used to not wear the niqaab when she was in saudi (though she does not alhamdulillaah), and there was no problems. Infact a lot of saudi women don't wear niqaab. The minimum is the khimar or whatever you call it, and the abaaya/jilbaab/burqa. If the Mutawwa (religious police) see women who do not cover their heads, then they tell them to cover it and they do so nicely (this is what I remember from 7 years ago or so). And to be honest, women actually have a lot of rights in saudi and not like what people say.

kayleigh

I recently watched a very good episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations Required" that was filmed in Jeddah. His hostess was a sister in head scarf and abaya (she even wore this while scuba diving, alhamdulillah). Mr Bourdain said that his hostess was wearing "the bare minimum". She seemed to be just fine.

I like that episode and thought of it when I saw this topic, too.

I've never been, but from what I've seen a read, you just have to wear hijab. If you aren't wearing an abaya or if any part of your hair is showing then you're fair game to the police of Vice and Virtue (such an ironic name). But I agree with ShyHijabi - you should fear the roads more than the hijab issue, lol.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
so is not Niqaab obligatory on muslimah?

not pertaining to saudi or something. i am asking, is niqaab not mandatory according to sharee'ah???

kayleigh

so is not Niqaab obligatory on muslimah?

not pertaining to saudi or something. i am asking, is niqaab not mandatory according to sharee'ah???

There are several threads about this on the site if you search for them. Some scholars say it is obligatory, and some say that it is not obligatory but that it is recommended. I would suggest searching for threads about this and researching it on your own - research both opinions so that you don't get a biased answer.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
There are several threads about this on the site if you search for them. Some scholars say it is obligatory, and some say that it is not obligatory but that it is recommended. I would suggest searching for threads about this and researching it on your own - research both opinions so that you don't get a biased answer.

jazak Allahu khyir.

i got the answer from islam-qa.com and i agree with the logic and wisdom behind it. (my opinion anyways.)

wa salaam

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamualikum.
As far as am concern,niqab is not obligatory in Saudi but hijab is.Whether you are a Muslim or not a Muslim,as long as your feet is in Saudi,you are obliged to cover your head.
Allah knows the best.
Assamualikum

kayleigh

I should note... the only exception is when you're in a compound. Then you can wear whatever you like.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
I hear here and there that Saudi is kinda a scary place for women.

it could be scary for women who dont want to wear abaya, flirt with men ,etc.

Will it be something strange there for women not wearing a Niqab?

mostly wear it but nowadays u'll find many women without niqab. esp in malls, etc.

I'm afraid that I may be attacked by the Muslim police over there (Hayit alamir bilmaarouf walnahii aan almonkar). I also hear that they hold sticks and run after people who are not properly dressed.

they are not wild. :D you must have heard these from ppl who hate to have a group who promotes virtue and prevent vice. they sometimes make mistakes but generally they are good ppl.

once a women sprayed something in one of their member's eyes while the other women filmed it in her mobile. but they forgave them... :)

That place had two separate entrances. The first entrance was labelled "for Niqabis" and the second entrance was for the "safirat"

i travelled here many cities but never found abt this. though we have separate entrances for men and women or single and family.

Is it easy for women to walk around in shops? do you find women without niqab? Do men stare at them? Oh BTW what about Abayas? I have an abaya that has a bit of pink on the sleeves, is that okay?

it easy for women to walk in big, huge malls. infact in many malls, single men cannot enter alone. but yes, saudi boys will stare at you. :)

Your worried sister,

u need not be. where many wear niqab, u wont feel awkward wearing one. :)

al-muslimah

Thank you all for having time to read my post. Oh and thanks for some good points and advices you gave. You all certainly calmed me down a bit.

Alhamdulilah! My Abaya is perfect then and I don’t think I should be concerned anymore.

The story of the separate entrance was said by my Islamic teacher so I don’t think she was making up a story. I only reported what she said. I know It's hard to believe and I would hate to believe it's for real.

Gosh! I had many misconceptions about the Islamic police. SubhanAllah it's hard to imagine that they are "good people" as many of you said because of all the stereotypes I receive about them. SubhanAllah although I live nearby Saudi which is in Qatar, we as Muslims still have these kinda bad picture about them. That’s very bad. But InshAllah all these thoughts would go away eventually.

I'm going to Saudi InshAllah and let's hope everything goes okay. Thanks for wishing me a good trip.

TTI is surely a good place to find comfort.

Salam!

hassana elkoussi

Salam alaikum dear sis,

Sister, there's nothing freakish about going to Saudi Arabia. I hope u'r going there for umrah. Just think of the idea that u'll be treading the same place previously trodden by our Prophet pbuh. Think of the beauty of Umrah and the fact that ull be going out of the haram as sinless as a new born. Isn't that enough for u to accept anything? Besides, it's not obligatory there to put on niqab. And what if? I'd wear anything to go there. Just think of the positive side of ur trip and forget about all this stuff. I'm sure u'll remeber my words when u go there and feel the awesome spirituality of this sacred land. Niqab or no niqab, u'll have a wonderful trip in sha Allah.

Plz remember us in ur du'aa

Salam alaikum :hearts:

al-muslimah

Salam alaikum dear sis,

Sister, there's nothing freakish about going to Saudi Arabia. I hope u'r going there for umrah. Just think of the idea that u'll be treading the same place previously trodden by our Prophet pbuh. Think of the beauty of Umrah and the fact that ull be going out of the haram as sinless as a new born. Isn't that enough for u to accept anything? Besides, it's not obligatory there to put on niqab. And what if? I'd wear anything to go there. Just think of the positive side of ur trip and forget about all this stuff. I'm sure u'll remeber my words when u go there and feel the awesome spirituality of this sacred land. Niqab or no niqab, u'll have a wonderful trip in sha Allah.

Plz remember us in ur du'aa

Salam alaikum :hearts:
I will certainly remember your great words sister. Thank you! InshAllah you are all in my prayers.

dunno

there is no way that separate entrances exist for niqabis and for "Saferat"
being a saferah means exposing i think? it's VERY insulting to call a saudi lady a saferah so i don't think people will take it kindly that ANY place calls their mothers,sisters,wifes,etc that it's simply not possible i was born and i still live in Saudi arabia im in one of the most conservatives cities and that cannot happen
relax :) and enjoy ur trip ^^

alf2

Islam is a way of life
it could be scary for women who dont want to wear abaya, flirt with men ,etc.
[/COLOR][/B]

I would be scared to go to Saudi. And no, not because I want to flirt with men and not wear an abaya. That is an insult.

Women very rarely leave their homes in Saudi, except when with a Mahram or some strange driver. Thats so backwards...Women cant drive, yet they can get in the car with some strange man as a driver? Nonsensical.

I have a good friend there, a traditional young Muslimah, and she really dislikes it there. For the pure reason that it is so strict. Like, she's scared to just look a male-shopkeeper in the face...What the hell? Really.

Some other laws I dont agree with in Saudi, is the fact One may not be openly of another religion. People should have the right to be whatever religion they want. Of course WE Muslims believe Islam is the true religion, but can you imagine if we were not allowed to practice Islam in America? Always put yourself in someone's shoes....Freedom of religion without fear of persecution is a basic human right.

Saudi tries to follow Shariah, but only when its CONVENIENT for them. Like Modesty and in aspects of Crime & Punishment. But in terms of finances, i feel they may as well use money as toilet paper. All the huge useless monuments, for show, yet there are people outside of Mekkah starving.

Astaghfirallah. Isnt extravagancey against Islam? :/

EDIT:

Unrelated note, I also saw the Anthony Bourdain show in Saudi, I found the malls very interesting. As well as the segregated resturants. I actually LIKE the idea of segregated resturants between "Women/Family" then a section for the "Men"

When I am having a nice dinner with my family, and i see a large group of rowdy, young men...I want to leave or sit as far from them as I can. >_>

kayleigh

I'm pretty sure would never ever go to Saudi arabia except for hajj or umrah. That isn't because I'd be scared or because, as someone has incorrectly assumed, I'm flirtatious. But, honestly, who would want to support their economy by spending any lengthy period of time there? I wouldn't feel safe as there are different laws and standards for Saudis and foreigners, and I wouldn't want to support a system where foreign labor (or slave labor, honestly) is exploited. Besides the holy sites, I don't see what good there is about that place, unless you had family there or something.

That anthony bourdain show was awesome though. I was surprised at how positive the whole thing was, and I loved the woman who was his tour guide.

azmirush

:salam2:sis,

I was there last two years and I noticed that only at the holy places where you are obligated to wear hijab. Niqab is not mandatory at all. When I was in Jeddah I was shocked to see ladies without hijab but they were in abayas- non muslim foreigners I guess. But it was a good sight as all in modest dressing..... interesting..Less eye sins and sights are protected in a way.

:blackhijab:
:wasalam:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Some other laws I dont agree with in Saudi, is the fact One may not be openly of another religion. People should have the right to be whatever religion they want. Of course WE Muslims believe Islam is the true religion, but can you imagine if we were not allowed to practice Islam in America? Always put yourself in someone's shoes....Freedom of religion without fear of persecution is a basic human right.

Saudi tries to follow Shariah, but only when its CONVENIENT for them. Like Modesty and in aspects of Crime & Punishment. But in terms of finances, i feel they may as well use money as toilet paper. All the huge useless monuments, for show, yet there are people outside of Mekkah starving.

1. prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) told to expel pagans from the arabian peninsula. so you cant blame saudis for that. we cant use the logic of *wht if we cant practice Islam in usa* here because then someone might say tht we should open Makkah and Madina to non-muslims as well.

no soceity if perfect.....i know saudis wrongs like mistreatment of expats, extravagance, etc......but for their bad actions, good actions cant be overlooked.