Your way to Islam !!!!!share your story

Imad

Assalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

TbarakAllah Nyerekareem, Nichole , jimcate, Fran and other brothers and sisters who reverted to islam. Your stories are very beautiful. Masha Allah

thank you very much sister Aisha for starting this thread.

Fi amanillah

Wassalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

I was raised in a muslim family with a fully practicing father and mother, except later as i grew up a little older they never tought me anything about islam except that my father was beating me roughly to make me pray 5 times aday, which made me hate to pray.
then i found out that my parents used to lie to me in many situations, so i couldnt trust them. And so a lived my life without even thinking or trying to know anything about islam. I hated my parents so much for the beating and lying and other bad things they used to do to me.
I was a bright boy with a lot of energy, but i didnt know how to use it in the right way. But i always managed to keep myself acting in a good manner toward others with consideration and respect, And i never did drugs or so Alhamdu Lillah.

As i became a grown man, and finished studying then got a job.. I meet this good man at work and we became good friends, He's more like a brother to me and we've been through alot together, He too didnt have any interest about Islam.

Untill one day while surfing the net togather, We meet the truth about islam, and what it means to warship Allah and follow his rulings and the teachings of His Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasalam.

We both started practicing the best way we could, and as we learned more about islam we became more commited, But it wasnt a long lasting condition.

The hardship we faced in life was sometimes exhuasting, So we've been through ups and downs, But he was much stronger than i am, which helped me stay on the right track for a while. Untill we got seperated for changes of the nature of our work.

As far as i know, He stayed committed, But as for me, Well.. Its been a bumpy road. But Alhamdu Lillah i always seem to find my way back uptill now..:)

This site also is a big help for me to stay focused.. So i thank the founder, the mods and all the members for it.

And this, Is my story.

ummsami89

My entry into Islam.. almost 9 years. alhumduillah

ok, I will tell you a bit about myself. I married a muslim 23 years ago. I knew him 4 years prior to that. I wasnt muslim then. He wasnt much of a practicing muslim. more like what we call, "I dont eat pork"muslim. :astag: anyway, we married and I still wasnt muslim. We had a son and always planned to raise him in the Islamic faith. That was no problem for me. What I knew of Islam, made sense to me.I wasnt ready for myself. Well, my non-muslim mother suggested I go to the mosque and see what they were teaching my son. She thought I wouldnt like it, and pull him out. I started going and went to haleqas(like bible studies in the church). I met more people and started to learn more about Islam. One day, I was invited to a home for dinner. The sisters were sitting around the table discussing Islam, naturally. The most knowledgable sister knew that I believed in it but was scared. I told her I thought I needed to learn more. She said dont wait to learn more if you believe. We as born muslims are always learning. She said, "Jamie, if you walk out the door and something happens to you(death) you will die as a nonmuslim.. and you believe in Islam. Thats not good." I said the Shahada right that moment. Alhumduillah. Alhumduillah.:tti_sister: I started going to the haleqas, studying more, etc. I am still learning quran and I am very slow at my prayers.:astag: I blame it on age, mainly(I am 48). I know how to read and write arabic for the most part, but speaking it is very broken. I am just lazy.:astag: I have taken arabic 101 at Purdue and taking Conversational Arabic. Unfortunately, i am very self-conscious with all those young college minds. Anyway, Alhumduillah, I practice Islam, pray, fast etc. I have worn hijab 8 years in November. I have been muslim almost 9 years(January 2009). I work in a major dept store(Macys) in hijab. You dont think that's hard? yea, sometimes. No trouble with coworkers, just dumb customers. But for the most part, alhumduillah, everyone is very accepting and kind. good luck.

truth4real

my story

I grew up in a poor part of southLondon where most men get different women pregnant and run away 95% percent of the time so my mother was forced to take responsibility for both roles. She was a caring mother but also had to get two jobs to pay the rent and bills, because of the lack of a real father around. ..:

So I was left at home while my mum was working hard and I was raised by TV and music, Hollywood, MTV and (now) channel u and I saw all the bling bling, nice cars, the money, the boats, the houses, the women and all the rest and I wanted it all...!

So I looked around my environment and surroundings and the people it looked like had money and material things where the crack, weed , heroin dealers and also the credit card fraudsters, armed robbers, burglars and gang members.

So I thought college and university looks like a waste of time, all the people going there are broke, so I linked up with a friend from secondary school that was in my class that was already in a gang and started hanging around with him.

At that time my mum had also chucked me out because of my unruliness and bad behavior towards her and sometimes to my younger brother and younger sister.

I ended up for the next years of my life going in and out of jail and spending most of my time on the inside and few months out and that became my life (even though I had a flat).

Until one day in jail when I was bored like every other day and I picked up a Quran and read it and one sentence hit me:

"Is there any one more misguided than the person who makes his desires his God."

And for the first time I realized that money,girls and my desires were the false God's that I worshipped and I was a 100% slave to them, without actually knowing it.

And the Quran helped me to realize, the people that I was following unconsciously, were the rappers, actors and mcs these were my false prophets because I tried to act like them, look like them, dress like them , talk like them, dance like them, even think like them, in every single way.

And what really shocked me were the clubs, raves and parties I went to religiously every weekend, they were really my mosques that I was worshipping performing (pagan) rituals in.

I realized was extremely religious without knowing it!!!

And it took this book, the Quran, to let me know for one moment in my life that I was worshiping myself and money and not God who I should be worshipping.

So I read the Quran even more and when I realized that every other faith Christianity, capitalism, Hinduism, communism, Sikhism, secularism, Buddhism, Judaism and playerism, tells people to worship men or created things like rocks, stones or animals instead of God, so I decided Islam is the only faith or belief for me.

And instead of dressing like Game, 50 cent, Snoop, Jim Jones or Dipset, I started to look, dress, act, behave like Moses, Jesus, Noah or Muhammad because they where all Muslims, which means in English "one that submits to the will of God". These are my role models because they tell people only to worship God, not them or created things.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Masha'Allah ... heart warming stories there ... congratulations to all and ...

ALLAHU AKBAR !

brother truth4real .... I feel I want to give you a cyberhug ... masha'Allah

saif

:salam2:

mashaAllah a really heart warming story. I always find such stories the most interesting one, in which reading or listening to a quranic verse causes a revolutionary change the person's life. Since the time the quran was revealed, the history is full with stories like this. That alone shows, how strong is its message and how much it is transforming the world.

Jazakallah khair truth4real

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
I wasn't really active on the forum alot :) but this section is great I read every single story and they were so amazing it made me a better muslim and gave me this inner peace ... It made me so happy to see Islam from the eyes of people that just converted its all beautiful .Thank You everyone for sharing May Allah (swt) reward you all for all the people u influenced
:salam2: and jazakallah

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Sorry about another message but I would just like to add ... Allah (swt) only test the people he loves ... so we can remember him in all the conditions ... and to other he is given this duniya (world) so they can enjoy it while it can and there will be nothing for them in this world after so if you feel like life is so hard, say Alhumdulilah Allah is testing me ... and ask for his forgiveness and mercy for he knows wats better for us
:) aslam o alikum

Amanda.Green

I once was blind...
MY start was interesting to say the least....

I have been considering myself Islamic for a month now, I know very beginning. I am still in the movement of change, but I have anyways felt like a Islam sister. I was raised in an agnostic/ Prostant house but always felt strange and out of place. My family doesn't understand my choice, and they ask a lot of questions. I wear the hijab since day one, because I love it so much :muslima: . For more info send me a message. For tips, tricks, comments, questions, concerns message me.

Charisma18

Asselaamu 'Aleykum

Masha 'Allah so many wonderful and inspiring stories :hijabi:. jazak 'Allah khair for sharing.

May Allah (subhana wata 'ala) continue to guide you all on the straight path. Ameen.

revert-sister

Proud to be a MUSLIM
well I am a recent convert, I converted only 5 months ago, but have had Islam in my head and heart for many years, I wanted to convert at the tender age of 13, but I felt that this was too young and I wouldn’t have a support system and I dint really know much about it. So I waited and research for years, books internet documentaries Muslims friends. I even read bits of the Quran at 15 years old, not knowing what it meant or what I was doing. I went out and bout myself a hijab at 16 and wore it for a week to see what the reaction was, and it wasn’t good. I got stared at and called names like "Paki" "terrorist" etc so I took it off then I met a man who I feel deeply in love for and told him that i wanted to convert to Islam and didn’t believe in what I was being told to be true. He was so great about the whole thing he helped me out so much, and we have been together a year in January and planning to marry. I converted on July 17th 08 in central mosque Birmingham taking my Shahadah made me the proudest women on earth and I will never regret it as long as I live - mashallah.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
well I am a recent convert, I converted only 5 months ago, but have had Islam in my head and heart for many years, I wanted to convert at the tender age of 13, but I felt that this was too young and I wouldn’t have a support system and I dint really know much about it. So I waited and research for years, books internet documentaries Muslims friends. I even read bits of the Quran at 15 years old, not knowing what it meant or what I was doing. I went out and bout myself a hijab at 16 and wore it for a week to see what the reaction was, and it wasn’t good. I got stared at and called names like "Paki" "terrorist" etc so I took it off then I met a man who I feel deeply in love for and told him that i wanted to convert to Islam and didn’t believe in what I was being told to be true. He was so great about the whole thing he helped me out so much, and we have been together a year in January and planning to marry. I converted on July 17th 08 in central mosque Birmingham taking my Shahadah made me the proudest women on earth and I will never regret it as long as I live - mashallah.
mashallah :) ur story is really great and fascinating ... u know things are not always great for muslims u said u were called Paki ... But we should always now Allah (swt) is always with us no matter what and we should obey him and follow his obedience :)

arsheedhmz

Asalamu Alakum brothers and sisters,
I am a born muslim, was brought well educated and read and learnt Islam a lot but somewhere it was missing from my routine life, though I preached it to my non muslim friends. 2 years back some how I started realising that this way of life would take me nowhere but to hell. So I turned back and now try to do all my namaz and am trying to study Quran and put it to practice. only thing that worries me is that since a Muslim by birth, all mistakes that I did in my past will be with me and I have strive hard for Jennah. My bros and sis who have reverted to Islam....U guys are lucky in the sense that once u become muslim all your past sins are erased and your good deeds are still kept in your account so that Allah may reward you. So when I think of my past I feel like crying and ask Allah Istigfar. All my bros and sis please do pray for me and all muslims who seek the favour of Allah.

life is hope

السلام عليكم

oh

the stoies is very good

i born in a very good muslim family that do what ALLAH tell them:ma:

but my mother tell me when she was young she has alot of christian friends and she know that she wont be a muslim just like her familly she read about el engile she didnt made this because she isnt believe in ALLAH:astag: she was sure that islam is ture but to choise the right religon by her self

when my mother tell me this i do like her

but you know i dont want to ask or read about any reliogen because if you just pray to allah and feel you are with him just you and ALLAH

it make me sure that islam is the right relgion and i said from every part in my body

THERE IS NO GOD BUT ALLAH AND HIS PROPHET IS MOHAMAD

VERY NICE TOPIC

SALAM

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asalamu Alakum brothers and sisters,
I am a born muslim, was brought well educated and read and learnt Islam a lot but somewhere it was missing from my routine life, though I preached it to my non muslim friends. 2 years back some how I started realising that this way of life would take me nowhere but to hell. So I turned back and now try to do all my namaz and am trying to study Quran and put it to practice. only thing that worries me is that since a Muslim by birth, all mistakes that I did in my past will be with me and I have strive hard for Jennah. My bros and sis who have reverted to Islam....U guys are lucky in the sense that once u become muslim all your past sins are erased and your good deeds are still kept in your account so that Allah may reward you. So when I think of my past I feel like crying and ask Allah Istigfar. All my bros and sis please do pray for me and all muslims who seek the favour of Allah.

Waalaykumsalam

Brother, do lots of good deeds especially in those months where there are a lot of good deeds to be earn. Good deeds cancel out the bad deeds

alooma

here goes my story....

:wasalam:
i was born into a muslim family, so i ve learnt a lot from my parents. Alhamdulillah, dt i was born into a family dt Allah made the understanding of the den easy for, so i was sent to madrasat to learn more abt the den, i still attend madrasat where i'm learning arabic now,
my story is short but i dont dont think i ve any more to write if u wanna ask anything plz do....i ll be glad to answer u
salam

Hasana jafreen

all praise 2 allah
Asalam.
Masha allah.all ur stories are so inspiring n interesting to hear.allah surely will bless u.insha allah.let us all worship our almighty allah and have a safe journey in this duniya. :salam2:

drimi

Qëndrim Ismajli
Selam alejkum
In the Ramadan when I was near 10 years old I began to practise islam.
My heart understand the reality of this world.I never forget that.In our mosque in Ramjan there was a imam who made a lot Da'wah.Also I was his puple I learned some surahs from him like Suratul Fatiha, El-Ihlas ,El-Felek ,En-Nas etc.He made Da'wah a lot that time,but today a lot of my muslims brother don't practise islam.But I do and I pray All-llah to do this till death.Next Ramadan I began to learn Kuran etc.
Selam alejkum by your brother from Kosovo

hznaz

Assalaamu Alaikum

I was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti (Caribbean Sea - West Indies)

I spent 9 years in Haiti as a child without my mother who had gone to New York USA to find work. She left me as a baby with friends and family it seemed that because I was born with Sickle Cell Anemia I was moved from family to family friends often due to the burdens of caring for a sick child in such a poor country. I never knew my father at the time. But this background is important to why I converted (Reverted) to Islam. During all this moving from family to family for the first 9 years of my life my morals were being shaped by many different religions which left me at the time believing in God but very resentful of the religious practices of men. As a child I lived with Catholics sometimes mixed with Voodoo beliefs and Baptists.

I was 9 when I moved to Brooklyn New York to live with my mother. She had married a Jahovah Witness and I had a new little sister we all moved to Bridgeport Connecticut. During this time my step-father did not practice his religion and I was not sure what my mother believed. Still after a few years of public shool my mother placed my sister and I into Private Catholic school with the goals of communion which seemed something that all Haitian took as a tradition no matter what they believed. It seemed that my mother and step-father all had backgrounds in Voodoo and it was just part of life. After Catholic School my mother always sent us to Baptist Church on Sundays with one of her friends. Just to get us to know God and Jesus even though she never seemed to come along. That did not build anything in me but confusion.

My mother died a few months before my 14th birthday in a car crash while driving us to shop for school late August - I was in the car in the backseat behind her and saw everything as we hit the small tree on the side of the road. And being a sick child again my step-father did not want to bother so I became a ward of the state and given to my Godmother who I lived with until I went off to College. During my High School years the belief at the house was Baptist and voodoo.

In college I was an Art and Design major my life was not very bad I was a good kid, I worked many jobs to pay for my school and art supplies so at work I was invited to a Church while ringing out a customer he gave me a card and invited me to a church called The Internation Church of Christ. I was baptized in that Church (broward Florida)

The local news media call this Church a CULT since all we did was print out our little cards to invite people to Church on Sunday with the hopes of converting them to follow Jesus as disciples. It was a very strict church but I wont go into details. Well I stayed in this group 18 months which during that time I converted about 6 art students in my dorm including my roomate a very shy quiet Jamaican guy from Orlando. I became very unhappy I was working very hard for school and all my As and Honors class that I got at school before Church started to suffer since most of our time was spent reaching out meaning going to malls and public placed and trying to talk people into coming to church. I must say after a few months of this I was very full of zeal and loved Jesus because he died for my sins. This was our belief.

I was hospitalised many times due to Sickle Cell from overworking. I remember the night I decided to run away from this group by leaving school and returning to Connecticut. The brothers warned me that Satan and demons would haunt me for the rest of my life if I left. I did not believe in this way of life anymore and one night I walked for 6 hours until morning just praying to God to guide me and speak to my heart to just answer my many questions about who he really was and what I should really be doing. The next day I ran away back to Connecticut. I never returned to church my spirit was really broken. I stopped praying. I worked hard until my disease took over and I became homeless and faced death in hospitals many times (heart and lungs failure)

When I was given dissability and a place to live I worked on my art. I became a painter and poet not earning much at all but I worked to raise awareness about Sickle Cell Disease which became my passion to help those who suffered this pain. I became well known in that community in the US and Europe as an artist.

I had wanted to have a family of my own but my relationships never seemed to work out. I will skip many details here since I really had a weakness for women and they seemed to have been drawn to me for all the wrong reason.

For a while I started talking to a Haitian girl whom went to an Assembly of God church in Long Island a few times per week. We started dating and I followed her to Church and 5 years of my life flew by as we waited on the promise of marriage while it stalled. This was the most painful religious experience thus far and my spirituality sunk very low. I was full of anger I hated what was being said at church. everytime we took the 90 minute drive to Long Island NY for church I would return home very angry and full of resentment. The Kings James Bible became an enemy to me. The way it was being read what they where telling me about Jesus was always a contradiction to every other word of God. I felt I was going insane and I started to become very depressed and wanted to end my life and started to hate the girl I was engaged to. 5 long years of saying Jesus is Lord and Two in the God head. All the singing and talking in tongues around me became the norm... I tried to embrace it but I could not no matter how much a prayed and cried to God nothing changed. I was lost.

I broke things off and left Church only to return and try harder again but it did not work I could not believe. Jesus being God was not working for me... I always respected Jesus I wanted to follow him but I did not want to worship him as God. When I think of him as being the Son of God I started to believe every human was the SON of God. So God did not seem so important if everyone could be a god. The lines crossed too far. The focus on Jesus was beyond what I felt I needed. All I desired was to get closer to God and clean up my sin filled existance. I was not a murderer but my life as an artists and poet was full of lust and sin that I wanted to repent from but being with someone who did not rush to marry to keep from sin did not help. I was very lost I felt I could not believe in God anymore and I finally left for good.

That was a year ago... watching Obama run for President brought back a lot of curiousity that I had about Islam since I was the Spike Lee film about Malcolm X.

I knew from that film that the Nation of Islam was not good for me... but I remembered in that film when Malcolm discovered True Islam. I always wanted to live such a peaceful life full of guidance from one source God.

The media really made me question Islam... I had already grown to resent being a christian but it seemed that no one in the media asked questions of Christians but being muslim seemed to be a bad thing... an evil thing if you watch Fox News.

I kept myself isolated for over a year. Obama seemed that he had to defend himself everyday by saying I PRAY TO JESUS EVERYDAY! Praying to Mary, Saint Peter, Jesus, was part of my childhood but as an adult I never found any peace from praying to any of them. But hearing Obama say that made me think... I wondered who Allah was... and what was so Wrong about praying to ALLAH? I knew ALLAH was not the reason for 9/11 although it affected me greatly I never thought Muslims as evil deserving of this injustice in the media.

In November 2008 I started to ask questions on a video gaming forum that had a few muslim posters in the off-topic area. After weeks of asking questions and searching google for sources. Even after the attacks on India and the media focus I found my nearest Masjid and reverted to Islam. November 28 2008.

After all of this I am very protective of my faith now. I feel I understand and respect Jesus much more now that I know he is not the God I was presented with for those many years. I am taking my learning at a slower pace I do not wish to take Islam lightly... No one invited me into Islam but Allah. I am so grateful to have come this far to find God's mercy in my life. My anger melted away and I was no longer depressed. I still have many hardships but I found that I am much more patient and focused on learning my new faith.

I have read a lot online about some reverts being annoyed about changing on names. And in my local masjid many muslim brothers seem to want to advise me on what name I should change my name to. While others tell me I should not change my name. On brother told me my name was haram. I talked to the scholar and he said this was not the case but my last name was better than my first.

The reason I want to change my name is not because of the brothers saying I should or thinking that Islam requires it. It does not seem to be required. There are many cases that one can point out and say that ISLAM is universal thus names from all nations should be acceptable.

I have my mother's last name I only knew her for 5 years of my life and only knew my father for a week visit as a child. So a new name that I choose on my own seems to be very important to me for a start of a new life.

My old name when searched on google has over 10,000 results about my art and work I did for Sickle Cell Disease in the media (Television and Newspapers) as well as lover poetry written about and for women. I see that part of my life as a person who was full of pain, sin, and confusion. Allah has forgiven me for all of this yet since my work is all over the place online I cannot just whipe it away. I do not want to be that person anymore. I want to keep the good parts and repent of the bad. So I name change is ideal for me just for the mind to feel at ease to remember what Allah has taken me from.

I really have to be on guard all the time now... I do not wish to lose my faith in God ever again because of my environment.

My belief now is my LIFE IS ISLAM and if I lose ISLAM I lose my LIFE... as simple as that... so I am very careful about being lead by men or my own stubborn will. I wish to follow the teachings of the Messenger (pbuh) and server only one God.

I have much to learn but I have come such a long way, I am so blessed to have been called to Islam.