Are you feeling..*sniffs*...unwell?

runayrus

Yearning Slave
:salam2:

I hope the title is catchy enough to get your attention. =)

Ever wonder why a Muslim is allowed
by Allah, subhana watallah, to get sick?

Hadith - Bukhari 7:564

I visited Allah's Apostle May Allah's peace and praise be on him while he was suffering from a high fever. I touched him with my hand and said, "O Allah's Apostle! You have a high fever." Allah's Apostle May Allah's peace and praise be on him said, "Yes, I have as much fever as two men of you have." I said, "Is it because you will get a double reward?" Allah's Apostle May Allah's peace and praise be on him said, "Yes, no Muslim is afflicted with harm because of sickness or some other inconvenience, but that Allah will remove his sins for him as a tree sheds its leaves."

Hadith - Muslim & Bukhari

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri r.a. reported that the Prophet May Allah's peace and praise be on him said: Whenever a Muslim is afflicted with a hardship, sickness, sadness, worry, harm, or depression --even a thorn's prick, Allah expiates his sins because of it.

Recorded by Bukhari in al-Adab ul-Mufrad (no. 493), verified authentic by al-Albani

"Expect good, because Allah (s.w.t.) makes a believer's sickness an expiation (for his sins) and a period of repose. As for a disbeliever falling sick, he is like a camel whose owner ties it and then lets it loose --it does not understand why it was tied, nor why it was freed."
------------------------------------------------------

The Cure​

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #2170, Narrated AbdulMalik ibn Umayr May Allah be pleased with him

Allah's Messenger May Allah's peace and praise be on him said, "Fatihat al-Kitab contains healing for every disease."

Rewards for those Afflicted
Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #1570, Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah May Allah be pleased with him

Allah's Messenger May Allah's peace and praise be on him said, "On the Day of Resurrection, when people who have suffered affliction are given their reward, those who are healthy will wish their skins had been cut to pieces with scissors when they were in the world."

[Tirmidhi transmitted it, saying that this is a gharib tradition.]

[Darimi and Bayhaqi, in Shu'ab al-Iman, transmitted it.]

-------------------------------------------------------

Endurance​

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari, Muslim, and Nasa'i, Narrated 'A'ishah may Allah be pleased with her

The Prophet of Allah, upon him be peace, said, "Do not say, 'I feel rotten*.' Instead, say, 'I do not feel well."

*or any expression that involves corruption of any type.

--------------------------------------------------------

Supplication of an Invalid​

Allah's Messenger May Allah's peace and praise be on him said, "When you visit an invalid tell him to make supplication for you, for his supplication is like that of the angels."

[Ibn Majah transmitted it.]

Read Qur'an when Sick​

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Isra 17:82

And We send down from the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe (in Islamic Monotheism and act on it), and it increases the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers) nothing but loss.

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Allah's Messenger May Allah's peace and praise be on him said, "When you visit an invalid tell him to make supplication for you, for his supplication is like that of the angels."

[Ibn Majah transmitted it.]

Pardon me..but what is meant by "an invalid" here?..is it someone with a sickness?..it didn't make sense to me so I would like to understand

As for everything else..jazakom allah khair for the beautiful topic and valuable information :)

Toya23

Thank you

Thank you for that post. I am suffering from the flu right now and I feel horrible. This post brightened up my day, i'm feeling better already knowing that I will receive more blessings. May Allah continue to guide and bless you.

q8penpals

Pardon me..but what is meant by "an invalid" here?..is it someone with a sickness?..it didn't make sense to me so I would like to understand

As for everything else..jazakom allah khair for the beautiful topic and valuable information :)

Salam

In English, although the terms aren't used as much anymore (and I know this from reading lots of 17-19 century literature) invalid generally indicates someone who is temporarily "handicapped" by illness or injury (as in, you were in a car accident and broke both your legs - you would have been considered an invalid until your legs healed and you were back to "normal"). In older English, the word "cripple" would have been used to indicate someone who we would say today has a "physical handicap" - as in, you were in the car accident and broke both your legs, but they did not heal completely, properly and you are not back to "normal".

Nowadays, the words invalid and cripple are not really used to refer to a person's physical health state - you would just say injured or handicapped.

Does this help?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Salam

In English, although the terms aren't used as much anymore (and I know this from reading lots of 17-19 century literature) invalid generally indicates someone who is temporarily "handicapped" by illness or injury (as in, you were in a car accident and broke both your legs - you would have been considered an invalid until your legs healed and you were back to "normal"). In older English, the word "cripple" would have been used to indicate someone who we would say today has a "physical handicap" - as in, you were in the car accident and broke both your legs, but they did not heal completely, properly and you are not back to "normal".

Nowadays, the words invalid and cripple are not really used to refer to a person's physical health state - you would just say injured or handicapped.

Does this help?

Oh Yes!..this helped very much!..jazaki allah khair and baraka feeki ukhti..I sure do appreciate this :)..I read it a few times and assumed that it relates to someone who is sick..but I wanted to *make sure*..thus my question asking about its meaning :)..thank you so so so much sister!

IbnAhmad

salaam

very good thread :D

jazakallah khair for sharing...may allah swt grant you jannahtul firdows..amiin :)

wassalam